Author Topic: Thinkpad or Macbook?  (Read 22611 times)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Thinkpad or Macbook?
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 08:59:43 »
I've found that no matter what your editor of choice, developers use home, end, delete (and to a lesser extent insert) pretty religiously. That's why I prefer the standard ANSI layout, as it saves me a lot of time.

Offline zefrer

Thinkpad or Macbook?
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 09:09:53 »
No! Let's start an emacs vs vi war!

(joking.. please don't)

Offline vyshane

Thinkpad or Macbook?
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 09:38:58 »
Quote from: zefrer;239373
No! Let's start an emacs vs vi war!

(joking.. please don't)

No, what we have here is a Vim user who's using Vim like he's using Emacs! How dare he! Lynch him! I kid, I kid.

Okay, I'll go hide in a corner now. Sorry for going off topic, causing aggravation, etc.

Offline instantkamera

Thinkpad or Macbook?
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 09:53:59 »
Quote from: vyshane;239402
No, what we have here is a Vim user who's using Vim like he's using Emacs! How dare he!

I wouldn't know, I have never used Emacs.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Thinkpad or Macbook?
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 29 October 2010, 21:55:20 »
Well, I just picked up a maxed out 11.6" Macbook Air (1.6GHz C2D, 4GB ram, 128GB flash storage)

Definitely the snappiest Mac I've ever used (of course, this is the first one I've had with solid state storage).  I'll post pics and impressions later.  Glad to have a small, mobile laptop again.

Offline vyshane

Thinkpad or Macbook?
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 29 October 2010, 23:56:14 »
Quote from: iMav;240376
Well, I just picked up a maxed out 11.6" Macbook Air (1.6GHz C2D, 4GB ram, 128GB flash storage)

Definitely the snappiest Mac I've ever used (of course, this is the first one I've had with solid state storage).  I'll post pics and impressions later.  Glad to have a small, mobile laptop again.

Congrats :) I tend to favour portability over grunt when it comes to notebooks. I loved my 12" PowerBook, and am seriously considering the new MBAs right now. I'm torn between the portability of the 11" and the screen real estate of the 13".

Offline iMav

Thinkpad or Macbook?
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 00:55:12 »
Quote from: vyshane;240389
Congrats :) I tend to favour portability over grunt when it comes to notebooks. I loved my 12" PowerBook, and am seriously considering the new MBAs right now. I'm torn between the portability of the 11" and the screen real estate of the 13".

I'm more about form factor then weight/"thinness".  I could never buy a 13.3" macbook air because I can get more grunt for the same form factor with a standard macbook.

Offline vyshane

Thinkpad or Macbook?
« Reply #107 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 04:30:37 »
Quote from: iMav;240405
I'm more about form factor then weight/"thinness".  I could never buy a 13.3" macbook air because I can get more grunt for the same form factor with a standard macbook.

From what I've been reading, there's not much performance difference between the current 13" MBP and 13" MBA. The gap isn't as significant as it was with the last gen MBA. I wouldn't get the 13" MBP because it has a C2D. I would either get the MBA or make the jump to the 15" MBP for the i5 or i7. I used to have the aluminium unibody MacBook with a C2D.

Offline iMav

Thinkpad or Macbook?
« Reply #108 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 06:11:52 »
Quote from: vyshane;240418
From what I've been reading, there's not much performance difference between the current 13" MBP and 13" MBA. The gap isn't as significant as it was with the last gen MBA. I wouldn't get the 13" MBP because it has a C2D. I would either get the MBA or make the jump to the 15" MBP for the i5 or i7. I used to have the aluminium unibody MacBook with a C2D.

I had the al. Macbook (in fact, my wife has it now).  I replaced it with a al. MBP so that I could stuff it with 8GB of ram. :)

I now have an i7 Dell laptop with 8GB of ram, SSD, and a secondary hdd in the optical bay to hold all my VM's.  (work laptop)  The MBP used to be my portable VM lab before getting the new work laptop.

I agree about not wanting to get another Core2duo in a machine that really should have the i-series CPUs by now.  It's one of the reasons I went with an ultra-portable MBA.  I can justify a C2D in this machine.  Not in a MB or MBP today.