Author Topic: ADB to USB keyboard converter  (Read 333384 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Re: ADB to USB keyboard converter
« Reply #850 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 20:44:51 »
The black component is ferrite core and not critical one. You can hook up converter directly to main pcb without the ferrite core and ADB port.
TMK products:HHKB Alt  ⌨ConvertersAlps64FC660C AltFC980C Alt

Offline kungfu_jesus

« Reply #851 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 19:38:33 »
Thank you so much for your response. I went ahead and removed that component and soldered in, but it's not seeming to register any key presses.

I verified that the build was correct for Teensy 2.0++ at90usb1286 and device manager shows it is HID Keyboard.

Using HID listen, before I was receiving error 30, after resoldering I am only showing keyboard start. No keypresses log any input. I am curious if I am using an incorrect resistor as it is at 4.7k according to the color codes.

Did I solder everything in correctly?

Magic button seems to be the only one registering and it returns:

Keyboard init.
[C]Before init:
hadler_id: 00, is_iso_layout: no
After init:
debug enabled.

Keyboard start.
adb_host_kbd_recv: ERROR(-30)
Before init:
hadler_id: 00, is_iso_layout: no
After init:
debug enabled.

I feel like I am getting close but no cigar quite yet. Bad build, perhaps? Neither the rev1 or rev2 hexes play friendly with the Teensy 2.0++. I am using the modified makefile.teensy.

Using a multimeter I register the 5V from one side of the board to the other, and some of the pins on the black NEC chip at the top show 5V as well, but when I test a switch for any voltage it stays at 0. Is this a warning sign that I have a bad board? :/
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 November 2018, 16:30:26 by kungfu_jesus »

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #852 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 20:17:39 »
In most cases if not all -30 error means connections are not totally wrong or iffy. Make sure your wiring is correct.

Offline kungfu_jesus

« Reply #853 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 14:40:00 »
It's only the power button that gives that and I think it's the only button that generates a response because the traces are connected directly to the Teensy. I've double checked all my wiring and it seems kosher. The multimeter shows the same readouts on the board as it does the Teensy.

Is there any way to test the board itself? Should my switches be seeing voltage?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #854 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 16:35:13 »
It's only the power button that gives that and I think it's the only button that generates a response because the traces are connected directly to the Teensy.
what do you mean? You see something in hid_listen when you press power key? How does it connected to, DATA line or VCC line?
Power key was used to wake computer and is always given 5V for coumpter to see direclty its state on 2 pin of connector. That pin is not used by the conveter, though.

I've double checked all my wiring and it seems kosher. The multimeter shows the same readouts on the board as it does the Teensy.

Is there any way to test the board itself? Should my switches be seeing voltage?

Other switches on matrix is scaned at very fast rate and you can't see with multimeter.
Assuming your wiring is correct the board is probably damaged.

Offline numist

« Reply #855 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 21:06:54 »
- Apple adjustable keyboard keypad is not confirmed yet. Not sure if it works or not at this time.

I can confirm that the keypad works properly with the adapter:

REQUEST FOR HELP: Extended mouse protocol support
It is required for more buttons and movement resolution of mouse/trackball.
Do you have multiple button mouse? Implement it!
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/274

Funny, I was writing an adapter firmware before I found this thread and already have extended mouse support implemented. Should be able to port it over without too much trouble.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
« Reply #856 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 21:31:29 »
numist,
Great! Thanks for the report. I'm really glad to know it works with the keypad.

And adding exntended mouse support would be appreciated!