Author Topic: [GB] Starcraft 2 Doubleshots Round 2.22 You can (haz) nao. (ORDER THREAD)  (Read 88350 times)

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
  • www.Keypop.net [키팝.net]
Starcraft 2 Doubleshots Round 2.22 You can (haz) nao. (ORDER THREAD)
« Reply #400 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 19:43:35 »
Quote from: hashbaz;450805
Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there son.  Biniaris does a ton for this community.  Show me your sale thread with tons of useful parts and rare and custom keyboards for sale.
My apologies if i don't know this individual as well as others do. Heck i'll even edit that part out because that was a mistake on my part. But i honestly think him whining about people earning a profit is unjustified.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #401 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 19:50:50 »
This thread has gotten very hostile :bolt:
Keyboardless

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #402 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 20:22:27 »
Quote from: tsangan;450812
This thread has gotten very hostile :bolt:
your damn avy makes me want a HHKB so bad lol
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #403 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 22:44:48 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;450742
You're entitled to your own opinion. I think making $1500 off a group buy is a detriment to the community. I don't see how it helps.

I brought up the legality because he's going to try and make a huge profit now. Before it wasn't an issue.

I think you've said your piece and more than enough since so if you're going to continue to "threadcrap" I will report you. I'm sorry I've ruffled your tailfeathers but clearly you're alone here. EVERYONE else is telling you to mind your own damn business so I think you should take their advice. I've received a half dozen emails from various members telling me thanks for saying what I have about your threadcrapping and bringing it to bear because apparently you've been doing this in several other threads as well... which in my opinion is pretty unacceptable. Its a free marketplace, we don't report to you for what our prices should be, and if nobody wants to buy my keys at the prices I'm selling em at, fine, I'll just hold onto them until they do- because now that they're gone, they will eventually all be sold. If they weren't discountinued and I was to be selling these for my original price of $4 you wouldn't have had jack to say about it because that's entirely what everyone would expect to pay for them. It just so happens that after the fact these became the last of their kind and that affects their value. You're trying to make it seem like I planned on selling them at that price all along and am price gouging the hell out of this great community. Everyone ELSE seems to understand that that isn't what is happening here. I mean really, of any thread here you had to come crap on mine? What about the Team Liquid group buy where the seller sold them for $4 or $5 each (I can't remember which) with no discounts, collected the money up front, and since there were almost 300 keys sold in that group buy, paid less than a dollar each for them- making a ridiculous profit for the number of orders and keycaps he sold... and that isn't even including selling his extras!

I'm so so very sorry that you weren't the guy who decided to take up the reins of this group buy after it stalled for a month when the previous guy running it disappeared. I stepped forward, and did it both so that I could actually get the damn keys and to see if it could become something I could do to help pay for my rent. If the rest of the community wasn't so throughly behind me on this, I'd have a much more sour taste in my mouth and wouldn't be doing any more group buys. Fortunately you're the only one who seems to think that this is unreasonable. I'm going to continue providing my services and running the extremely popular group buys I have done and plan to do. If you have any sort of problem with that take it up with the management or keep your mouth shut. I've done nothing wrong here and your trolling better have run its course. Please refrain from posting in any of my threads from this point on and if you do your posts will be ignored. No soup for you.

Oh I have a thought, why don't you go complain about Signature Plastics to the better business bureau? I mean seeing as how plastic costs .001 cents a keycap they've gotta be making a HUGELY UNREASONABLE markup on the keycaps they sell.

@SvenJ: There will not be another round of these because if you didn't gather from the prior posts, Signature plastics, who has been making these and is basically the only company that does, has decided to stop making them. I have leftover keys I will be selling as do others, but as you might have gathered, they're worth quite a bit more than the original group buy discounted price now.

Offline NguyenAdam

« Reply #404 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 23:03:18 »
^^ Well said sir.

I still haven't received my keycaps. Damn you USPS. :(

Offline Fobbah

« Reply #405 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 01:33:16 »
The sense of entitlement in some people is just absolutely staggering. As you said, it's a free marketplace. If people don't like the markup you're putting on your keys, and think running a group buy is so ridiculously lucrative, nobody is stopping them from running their own group buys to undercut you (power to them!). Nobody is forcing them to buy anything from ragnarok.

Frankly i find his pricing to be more than reasonable, as I personally do not think it would be worth MY time to organise something like this for a purely profit motivated perspective, as processing that many purchase orders to that many destinations is a lot of work. (Although by looking at geekhack i think there is DEFINITELY a very nice little niche market here to be exploted by a small business providing key caps on-demand with an online purchasing system. This, for the record, would only be a good thing for the community...)

So these are the last of their kind and are worth substantially more now - That's called a lost opportunity, and it's all about what taking risks is about. If you have a problem with that, go start a debate about the problems with capitalism in general, but don't go crying to ragnarok when he trades in a manner consistent to a free market and in no way acts anti-competitively. All he did was provide a service that a large number of people found valuable.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #406 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 11:22:02 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;450933
I think you've said your piece and more than enough since so if you're going to continue to "threadcrap" I will report you. I'm sorry I've ruffled your tailfeathers but clearly you're alone here. EVERYONE else is telling you to mind your own damn business so I think you should take their advice. I've received a half dozen emails from various members telling me thanks for saying what I have about your threadcrapping and bringing it to bear because apparently you've been doing this in several other threads as well... which in my opinion is pretty unacceptable. Its a free marketplace, we don't report to you for what our prices should be, and if nobody wants to buy my keys at the prices I'm selling em at, fine, I'll just hold onto them until they do- because now that they're gone, they will eventually all be sold. If they weren't discountinued and I was to be selling these for my original price of $4 you wouldn't have had jack to say about it because that's entirely what everyone would expect to pay for them. It just so happens that after the fact these became the last of their kind and that affects their value. You're trying to make it seem like I planned on selling them at that price all along and am price gouging the hell out of this great community. Everyone ELSE seems to understand that that isn't what is happening here. I mean really, of any thread here you had to come crap on mine? What about the Team Liquid group buy where the seller sold them for $4 or $5 each (I can't remember which) with no discounts, collected the money up front, and since there were almost 300 keys sold in that group buy, paid less than a dollar each for them- making a ridiculous profit for the number of orders and keycaps he sold... and that isn't even including selling his extras!

I'm so so very sorry that you weren't the guy who decided to take up the reins of this group buy after it stalled for a month when the previous guy running it disappeared. I stepped forward, and did it both so that I could actually get the damn keys and to see if it could become something I could do to help pay for my rent. If the rest of the community wasn't so throughly behind me on this, I'd have a much more sour taste in my mouth and wouldn't be doing any more group buys. Fortunately you're the only one who seems to think that this is unreasonable. I'm going to continue providing my services and running the extremely popular group buys I have done and plan to do. If you have any sort of problem with that take it up with the management or keep your mouth shut. I've done nothing wrong here and your trolling better have run its course. Please refrain from posting in any of my threads from this point on and if you do your posts will be ignored. No soup for you.

Oh I have a thought, why don't you go complain about Signature Plastics to the better business bureau? I mean seeing as how plastic costs .001 cents a keycap they've gotta be making a HUGELY UNREASONABLE markup on the keycaps they sell.

@SvenJ: There will not be another round of these because if you didn't gather from the prior posts, Signature plastics, who has been making these and is basically the only company that does, has decided to stop making them. I have leftover keys I will be selling as do others, but as you might have gathered, they're worth quite a bit more than the original group buy discounted price now.

What other threads exactly do I threadcrap in?

And there's only a couple people that have posted here. I've been talking with others as well, and I am not alone in my beliefs. There's a difference between selling to the world and selling to a tight nit community and ripping them all off.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #407 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 01:07:48 »
Just for the sake of not making Binaris have to stand up all alone, I want to say that I agree with him to a certain extent. Yes, I understand that Ragnarok should get something for his time and effort (consider that he added $1 to shipping as a surplus already though). Yes, I understand that he's entitled to sell extras for what he chooses. However, on the other hand I do find it less than ideal that many of these sales are likely to be done within this community as Binaris pointed out and ideally the community supports each other and keeps the best interest of its members in mind.

If I may be so bold as to suggest something, I think that handling this as a cooperative would both allow Ragnarok and the community to benefit. By this I am referring to how cooperatives use their profit to benefit all those involved, either by paying dividends to its members (which would be the equivalent of passing on income made by the sale of extras to those involved, though this is too complicated to do, so let us ignore it) or by reinvesting in the cooperative, which I think is a great solution that allows Ragnarok to benefit and at the same time avoid any controversy.

What I mean by reinvesting in the cooperative is that Ragnarok could sell the extras but the income he makes from that be used only to buy keys from other group buys. In this way, Ragnarok still gets something for his trouble (free keys which would otherwise cost him money) but at the same time it benefits the rest of the community, because then those other group buys would be more likely to reach minimum quotas and lower price points. Also, if this method were used, there would be less incentive to sell the keys at a markup as the person selling the extras likely wouldn't need so much income from the sale of extras in order to purchase what they want from the next group buy.

Those wanting to buy extras benefit, the person who organized the group buy benefits, and the people interested in the next group buy around the corner benefit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2011, 01:11:23 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline slueth

« Reply #408 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 01:10:52 »
^ I agree to this huge wall of text.  Totally read all that. But it isn't our business to dictate to Ragnarok what he wants to do with his keycaps(and the profit made from them) mkay, its up to him.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #409 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 01:21:32 »
Leftovers are now for sale here:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23938-Starcraft-2-and-Portal-Keycap-GB-Leftovers-For-Sale!

A Co-Op doesn't interest me. You all are overestimating my profit in this and I already am reinvesting it by deciding to help meet discounts in various other group buys by buying what those buys need to get the prices down. If you look in my new Group buy, I think you'll find it to your satisfaction.

Offline ishtob

« Reply #410 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 01:29:00 »
my caps arrived a few days ago, thanks for putting the time into organizing this rag!

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
« Reply #411 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 01:56:58 »
Quote from: oneproduct;451635
Just for the sake of not making Binaris have to stand up all alone, I want to say that I agree with him to a certain extent. Yes, I understand that Ragnarok should get something for his time and effort (consider that he added $1 to shipping as a surplus already though). Yes, I understand that he's entitled to sell extras for what he chooses. However, on the other hand I do find it less than ideal that many of these sales are likely to be done within this community as Binaris pointed out and ideally the community supports each other and keeps the best interest of its members in mind.

If I may be so bold as to suggest something, I think that handling this as a cooperative would both allow Ragnarok and the community to benefit. By this I am referring to how cooperatives use their profit to benefit all those involved, either by paying dividends to its members (which would be the equivalent of passing on income made by the sale of extras to those involved, though this is too complicated to do, so let us ignore it) or by reinvesting in the cooperative, which I think is a great solution that allows Ragnarok to benefit and at the same time avoid any controversy.

What I mean by reinvesting in the cooperative is that Ragnarok could sell the extras but the income he makes from that be used only to buy keys from other group buys. In this way, Ragnarok still gets something for his trouble (free keys which would otherwise cost him money) but at the same time it benefits the rest of the community, because then those other group buys would be more likely to reach minimum quotas and lower price points. Also, if this method were used, there would be less incentive to sell the keys at a markup as the person selling the extras likely wouldn't need so much income from the sale of extras in order to purchase what they want from the next group buy.

Those wanting to buy extras benefit, the person who organized the group buy benefits, and the people interested in the next group buy around the corner benefit.

This concept just feels more and more like communism to me :\. Nobody is allowed to make substantial amounts of money and everyone at geekhack must receive a portion of the amount you worked to earn. Essentially Rag should purchase extra key caps so that he can earn money for geekhack members who haven't done anything significant but purchase keys for themselves? This community was built upon enthusiasts gathering around and discussing upon a topic they all generally like. This isn't a business. I sure don't want to be a part of a community where i'm forced to spend earned money on people i don't even know personally. My honest opinion and past experiences tell me strongly that money should never be involved with close friends and families. Business is business.
Nobody benefits from this co-op idea. Its just a sink hole for more money. Sure your helping other strangers all over the world but other than obtaining the keys for cheaper prices, you're simply just investing more and more money to be "part of the community". Anybody who tells me what to do with my money is no friend of mine.

A strong community isn't run by money. Anyone who believes this needs to reconsider what a community really is. Rag even covered the artwork upload fee for the Portal keyset but did anyone really acknowledge that? Just because a handful of individuals are bitter that they missed a group buy doesn't mean the community caves in and dies. What kind of logic is that?

Stop bickering about money. I honestly wouldn't want to support a community that lashes back at people for something as silly as this. Lets be adults here. An entire community is not going to die because of one man making profit off a group buy.

Quote from: BiNiaRiS;451151
What other threads exactly do I threadcrap in?

And there's only a couple people that have posted here. I've been talking with others as well, and I am not alone in my beliefs. There's a difference between selling to the world and selling to a tight nit community and ripping them all off.

Good grief. Nobody is forcing them to buy these keys. Do you know what ripping off means? The buyers are fully aware of the price and limited quantity of these key caps. If they agree to pay for it, its considered a PURCHASE not a rip off or scam. What is Rag possibly hiding from them?
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2011, 02:07:39 by nokcha »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #412 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 02:38:52 »
Oh shut the **** up already.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #413 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 02:39:18 »
Quote from: demik;451665

I laughed.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline Slyce

« Reply #414 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 04:56:21 »
Anyone in the UK or Europe got theirs yet?

I am growing impatient!! <3
Terran player for LiNK Gaming

Offline NguyenAdam

« Reply #415 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 16:53:08 »
^^ I still haven't received my keys and I live in the US.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #416 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 16:58:59 »
You could have been one of the guys who got bubble mailers because I ran out of boxes. Those take longer. Sorry I don't have tracking for everyone, trying to do that when shipping out that many orders is impossible, let alone it would have added like a dollar to shipping on every order.

Edit: Yeah I'm pretty sure you were, I remember picking yours because it only had 4 keys.

Offline jnsjr

« Reply #417 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 17:07:39 »
I support how Ragnorock did this. He gave us all the information up front, gave us the discount on keys, and is making profit on the extras. You can almost consider this 2 separate group buys. I'm not sure why there is so much uproar in this thread, and there isn't in the team liquid thread. In that GB, over 250 keys were sold, and they were sold for $5 each + shipping on top of that price. Shouldn't they cost less than $1 given the SP discount? Maybe I am missing something, but if you look at it on a per keycap basis, that is a significant amount of profit made on the original buyers of that GB, not people who came late, or didn't order enough.  There was no discount passed on, except if you bought more than 1 keycap ($5 for first cap, $4 for all the rest + shipping). I'm not trying to stir up more controversy, but if you are angry about GB organizers making "too" much profit, your anger seems misdirected.
Current Keyboards
Unicomp Space Saver (white) ~ HHKB2 ~ White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (Imsto Grey on White PBT + Group 3 keys + Awry keys)  ~ Realforce 87U 45g + Realforce 87U Variable + Realforce Numpad :biggrin1:+ MJ2 White Blue Cherry 87key

Keycaps
ClickClack Red Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* *(4)*~ Black Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* ~ Closeup ~  Topre WASD (Thanks Yak & DB!)

WTT & WTS
WTS White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (still deciding!)
Sold ~ Filco Blue Cherry; Majestouch 104 nonprinted keycaps; Noppoo Choco Mini 茶轴 (brown switches);  Topre 87u Variable ; Topre 87u 55g ; MY7000 Doubleshots ; Round 1 Doubleshots    
[/FONT]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #418 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 18:31:49 »
screw double shot!

Long live dyesubs!!!!!

Keyboardless

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #419 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 18:32:55 »
Quote from: tsangan;452152
screw double shot!

Long live dyesubs!!!!!

[awesome keycap images]

Explain yourself.

Offline jnsjr

« Reply #420 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 18:34:12 »
Quote from: tsangan;452152
screw double shot!

Long live dyesubs!!!!!

Show Image

Show Image

:jaw: do want!
Current Keyboards
Unicomp Space Saver (white) ~ HHKB2 ~ White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (Imsto Grey on White PBT + Group 3 keys + Awry keys)  ~ Realforce 87U 45g + Realforce 87U Variable + Realforce Numpad :biggrin1:+ MJ2 White Blue Cherry 87key

Keycaps
ClickClack Red Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* *(4)*~ Black Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* ~ Closeup ~  Topre WASD (Thanks Yak & DB!)

WTT & WTS
WTS White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (still deciding!)
Sold ~ Filco Blue Cherry; Majestouch 104 nonprinted keycaps; Noppoo Choco Mini 茶轴 (brown switches);  Topre 87u Variable ; Topre 87u 55g ; MY7000 Doubleshots ; Round 1 Doubleshots    
[/FONT]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #421 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 18:34:16 »
Holy **** what in the mother of earth?

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Keyboardless

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #423 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 18:40:21 »
Lol epic. Still, not doubleshot and not modifier and I've no idea how to buy them since its a Korean site. Oh well. White works well on white keyboards, but with the amount of white that is going to be on my keyboard here soon after the Nyancaps get finished, I might as well buy all white keys lol.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #424 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 00:14:11 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;451640
You all are overestimating my profit in this and I already am reinvesting it by deciding to help meet discounts in various other group buys by buying what those buys need to get the prices down. If you look in my new Group buy, I think you'll find it to your satisfaction.

I don't think I overestimated by much at all. Can you tell me where my math was wrong? If you just let us know how many spares you ordered that would settle it.

And you aren't reinvesting much. Even if it costs a few bucks to step up, you'll cover it by charging 2x+ for the extra caps you got for free and still walk away with a huge profit. Meanwhile you're telling everyone you are doing this for them so they can all get a good deal when its really just you wanting more money.

If you were really doing this for the community, you'd be charging them all the bare minimum for each cap + a bit to cover your time. Why are you charging a $1 handling fee for your time when you are making a ton more from the spares?

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline Fobbah

« Reply #425 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:00:53 »
If you were really doing this for the community, you'd be charging them all the bare minimum for each cap + a bit to cover your time. Why are you charging a $1 handling fee for your time when you are making a ton more from the spares?

Who cares how much/little he makes out of this - Why does he have to do this only "for the community"?

What is wrong with providing a service which is relevant to the forums (that dozens of happy customers on said forum are willing to use) and turning a profit.. The general consensus here seems to be that 90% of the users here have no problem with that. If you're going to take that attitude then we might as well tell the entire vendor section to leave geekhack as clearly they aren't welcome here according to your view of how geekhack should be run.

I value your right to express your views on this issue (despite diagreeing with you), and if you want to have a discussion about this, maybe you should start a thread of your own where you can make your case for a more communal geekhack - but trying to tell ragnorok what he can/can't do with his keys in this thread just comes off as kinda immature and isn't exactly helping your argument.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #426 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:06:16 »
Quote from: Fobbah;452406
Who cares how much/little he makes out of this - Why does he have to do this only "for the community"?

What is wrong with providing a service which is relevant to the forums (that dozens of happy customers on said forum are willing to use) and turning a profit.. The general consensus here seems to be that 90% of the users here have no problem with that. If you're going to take that attitude then we might as well tell the entire vendor section to leave geekhack as clearly they aren't welcome here according to your view of how geekhack should be run.

I value your right to express your views on this issue (despite diagreeing with you), and if you want to have a discussion about this, maybe you should start a thread of your own where you can make your case for a more communal geekhack - but trying to tell ragnorok what he can/can't do with his keys in this thread just comes off as kinda immature and isn't exactly helping your argument.

90% huh? I love made up statistics.

Sent from my EVO

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline Fobbah

« Reply #427 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:10:33 »
Whatever man, if you want to keep sounding bitter and turning members of the community against your opinion, that's your prerogative. I'm done with this thread.

*shrugs*

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #428 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:20:53 »
Quote from: Fobbah;452419
Whatever man, if you want to keep sounding bitter and turning members of the community against your opinion, that's your prerogative. I'm done with this thread.

*shrugs*

You can't pull numbers out of your ass like that and expect me to take you seriously. And I've had numerous PMs from people who agree with me but apparently they don't want to post here with their opinion.

If he wants to turn this into a business he can put up all the money up front and sell them in the classifieds. He's using our money as an investment to make himself $1500. That is the complete opposite of what group buys are supposed to be.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline ishtob

« Reply #429 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:21:58 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;452414
90% huh? I love made up statistics.

Sent from my EVO
1% of the GH member has 99% of the SC2 keys
occupy SC2 group buy

:P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #430 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:33:46 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;452421
You can't pull numbers out of your ass like that and expect me to take you seriously. And I've had numerous PMs from people who agree with me but apparently they don't want to post here with their opinion.

If he wants to turn this into a business he can put up all the money up front and sell them in the classifieds. He's using our money as an investment to make himself $1500. That is the complete opposite of what group buys are supposed to be.

And that is what is bothering me.

He used our money to make a profit. Hence why when he asked what he should do, I told him share the wealth or sell them at the price the rest of us paid. But then he got butt hurt and cried about his time and effort as if he wasn't going to make it up in profits.

Also, had I known he tried to steal from EK I wouldn't have bothered participating in his GBs.

But **** it, it's beating a dead horse. Next time I'll be careful whom I give my money too.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:42:40 by demik »

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
« Reply #431 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:47:43 »
Quote from: demik;452425
And that is what is bothering me.

He used our money to make a profit. Hence why when he asked what he should do, I told him share the wealth or sell them at the price the rest of us paid. But then he got butt hurt and cried about his time and effort as if he wasn't going to make it up in profits.

Also, had I known he tried to steal from EK I wouldn't have bothered participating in his GBs.

But **** it, it's beating a dead horse. Next time I'll be careful whom I give my money too.

Quote from: demik;451665

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #432 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:49:29 »
of course, there goes his white knight.

do you think kissing his ass will get you a discount?

and that was directed at you, not the discussion.

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
« Reply #433 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 01:55:11 »
Great deduction Sherlock, considering the fact that i've never contacted him for discounts.

Just quit *****ing. Jesus christ. Share the wealth? Are you more retarded than a carrot? He stated he had intentions to buy extras for profit from the beginning. If you don't want him to gain profits stop giving him your money moron. Why the hell would he invest money to share the wealth with idiots like you?

You don't even know him. What makes you think he'll share his wealth with you and the hundreds of other strangers on GH?

Quit crying over a situation you had complete control over.

Good Lord you even went as far as to pointing out the obvious. "That was directed at you"
You truly are slow.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 November 2011, 02:01:27 by nokcha »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #434 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 02:04:26 »
You can't be that much of an idiot if you truly thought I expected him to give anything to anybody. That part was more of a joke, my main point was him selling it at the same price. Seeing as how he ASKED what we would do.  But meh, as stated already, first and last time he will get my money.

Btw your insults don't hurt over the net.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #435 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 02:07:35 »
Lol steal from EK. Good one. Pretty much anyone else would have just kept the board and never said anything. Instead I returned it but decided to have a bit of fun before I did. Props to your ignorance. I took your input, and while it was pretty offensive, I considered it and made my decision. Sorry I didn't do what you suggested.

I emulated the other group buys I found on here when I made mine. If you have a problem with mine, then you have nothing but the entire group buy section to blame.

Grow up guys. Sorry I got lucky and am making more money than I planned selling keycaps. Perhaps I should just buy everyone keycaps and give them out for free while I default on my lease?

Offline nokcha

• * Vendor
« Reply #436 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 02:09:10 »
This is how much i care about whether or not my insults hurt you or not.

lolol? Why would you even bring up something so stupid like "sharing the wealth" and then play it off as a joke? I'm definitely laughing but its not because your statement was a "joke". I'm done with these idiotic arguments. Basic common sense doesn't apply to you.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #437 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 02:17:07 »
Interesting to see how a group buy (money, really) polarized people.  I have my own opinion.  I actually have done business with demik, BiNiaRiS, and Ragnorock separately.  You guys are all fine folks.  Do I agree with everyone?  No.  In fact I disagree with all of you for one point or another.  But does it matter?  Not really.  

I think I have stirred up enough crap tonight :-)

Offline Gin

« Reply #438 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 03:12:12 »
Quote from: litster;452452
Interesting to see how a group buy (money, really) polarized people.  I have my own opinion.  I actually have done business with demik, BiNiaRiS, and Ragnorock separately.  You guys are all fine folks.  Do I agree with everyone?  No.  In fact I disagree with all of you for one point or another.  But does it matter?  Not really.  

I just started reading this thread and ran into this whole thing.

I think it's good that it brings the real characters out of the members of this forums. There's too much faux niceness bull****s.

You get a real idea of what people really are when you see how they deal with money vs people.

On the topic of character, I still have a hard time imagining how ripster would fit into a normal human body in real life. Does he carry around strange pictures in hope of showing them given perfect opportunities?
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 November 2011, 03:16:27 by Gin »

Offline NeverDie

« Reply #439 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 07:30:23 »
Just got my 2 Terran ESC keycaps :D. Thanks for staying true to your word.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #440 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 10:49:03 »
I just want to start by saying that I'm not upset by the money itself and am in fact ordering without hesitation from Ragnorock again in his other group buys because I know that he can get things done. Abstractly though, I do understand the moral issues surrounding this and while it's probably too late to do anything about this particular group buy, I wouldn't mind seeing some little things changed in the future for the sake of business ethics.

I don't mean to make this sound offensive to Ragnorock, particularly since there is no way to tell whether he consciously did any particular thing or whether it simply hadn't occurred to him at the time because he was busy organizing the great group buy. I'm trying to just be objective and I don't hold anything against him, but I do see where the fuss is coming from. In the end it doesn't really take away any significant amount of money from any individual person who was in the group order, maybe like $1, but perhaps a little too much ends up in his hands which caused all this fuss.

1. $1 handling fee.
Perfectly reasonable, plainly stated. If you have a problem with this it's your own fault.

2. Shipping costs.
It's likely the price charged for shipping is a little over the actual cost but /everyone/ in charge of any group buy would do this. It's far too difficult to get exact prices for everyone so any money he makes here is reasonable assuming the charged price is relatively close to the actual, within about a dollar or two I'd say.

3. Price breaks.
Here's where I see the first potential ethical issue. There were 94 orders from portal sets and he ordered 6 extra to reach the 100 set price break but we were still charged at the price for 75. Granted this is only a 31 cent difference so it's not the end of the world clearly.

4. Extras.
If the extras were bought to reach a price break and that price break was passed on to those involved (though as in point 3, it wasn't) then of course everyone in the group buy would want him to buy the extras. Of course there's no logical option other than for Ragnorock to keep the extras, unless he was to raffle them off randomly to people in the group buy but I'd actually prefer he kept them. The issue to many here is that the sale of these extras would see all the money go to him.

There are really only two options here. Either he does in fact keep the money for himself, though this high level of reward is contentious, or, foreseeing that he would be making money off the sales of the extras, deduct that amount (or some percentage of it) evenly from the members of the group buy. For example, say he sold the 6 extra portal sets for $20 each, then he would take $120 divided by the number of sets bought and charge each person that much less for each set they bought. This requires a great deal of foresight however so this is not something I would expect of most people running a group buy, particularly for their first time, but may be something to consider in the future.

However, he did say that he would be selling the extras at a mark up in the thread, so people knew to expect this. The problem with this is that you don't really have a choice to argue against this. If you want to get the keys you have to order with him. If you tried to organize your own group buy to combat him it would either fragment the order in two, which would force everyone to pay more, or could potentially kill the order completely. So again, while this was clearly stated, it's like a terms of service agreement that could be construed as unfair but which you really don't have an option except to accept it.

5. Mark up.
On one side I understand that people who didn't participate in the group buy don't have any right to have the same price that people who were in it paid because if they did actually invest with the rest of us, we could have reached another price break and all saved money. The problem comes from the fact that we learned that signature plastics would not be making any more trademarked keycaps in the future. If Ragnorock only had the keycaps he had ordered for himself (i.e. not including the spares) and was selling them for a marked up price it would be perfectly reasonable, as everyone who had been in the group buy would have had the option of doing this.

The problem is that since Ragnorock had all the extras, which were purchased using the money of those in the group buy, none of the other people who helped pay for them see any of the sudden appreciation in value for all of these extras. However, I'm not sure exactly what can be done about this unless either the extras were raffled, some of the sales were used to help fund another group buy (which would allow the group buyers to see some return for the appreciation of the extras) or if a "grace" period were given in which people could buy the extras at a more nominal cost.

6. The argument whether the group buy organizer is allowed to make profit.
Although previous group buys have been cited, I don't think that one wrong is the basis for another, though I'm glad that we ended up having the lesser of two evils, for which we can thank Ragnorock. Although he may be making more than expected off of this, we certainly paid less than we might have if someone else had been in charge. There are other group buys however in which the organizer sells extras at cost rather than profit, namely iMav's poker group buy right now from which I bought extras.

Earlier I had cited the idea of a cooperative and, sadly, it was compared to communism. A cooperative is not communism and I think many people tend to jump on that word too much, especially people from the US as they sort of live in an environment where communism is a sort of negative buzz word. Many famous businesses (WestJet, Desjardins bank, Costco) are cooperatives and the idea is that everyone owns the business equally, which is analogous to everyone being an equal member in the group buy, so no one person makes a huge profit but rather everyone benefits. I'm a member of several cooperatives myself. Everyone owns 1 share and the prices can't be beat compared to traditional businesses.

Even if you look at this from the point of view of capitalism like several people were arguing, it still doesn't add up. Ragnorock is a business. I believe in his business, so I invest in his stocks so he has capital to go about his business. If his business turns a profit, as an investor I either get dividends or otherwise see a return from the appreciation of the stock. Instead the money stayed with him. In a more simple sense, if you give someone money to go buy something for you, yes you might let them take some as a fee but you expect to get your change.

Anyways, that's a really crude look to it (and I'm no businessman so this will be my weakest argument that people can probably peck at, but if you do please don't forget the other points I've brought up) and, rather than to accuse Ragnorock, this is mostly to argue that this isn't exactly capitalism either to the people who brought it up. Anyways, the point is that yes, he is allowed to make some profit, but that profit should ideally not be much more than the handling fee, or if he's going to be making profit from other sources, the handling fee could be removed.

---

In closing, I just want to conclude that there are some things that could have been done better but many of them are only clear in hindsight. I will happily keep ordering from Ragnorock's group buys, and though I don't expect anything to be done retroactively regarding these ones, I certainly wouldn't mind to see some changes for future ones.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 November 2011, 10:59:58 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #441 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 11:57:42 »
This is what I'm talking about here, this is some good constructive criticism and I'd like to add my thoughts within the quote after each part. I'd like everyone to remember that this and the Portal group buys were my first and done at the same time, so I was definitely learning as I went.

Quote from: oneproduct;452619
I just want to start by saying that I'm not upset by the money itself and am in fact ordering without hesitation from Ragnorock again in his other group buys because I know that he can get things done. Abstractly though, I do understand the moral issues surrounding this and while it's probably too late to do anything about this particular group buy, I wouldn't mind seeing some little things changed in the future for the sake of business ethics.

I don't mean to make this sound offensive to Ragnorock, particularly since there is no way to tell whether he consciously did any particular thing or whether it simply hadn't occurred to him at the time because he was busy organizing the great group buy. I'm trying to just be objective and I don't hold anything against him, but I do see where the fuss is coming from. In the end it doesn't really take away any significant amount of money from any individual person who was in the group order, maybe like $1, but perhaps a little too much ends up in his hands which caused all this fuss.

1. $1 handling fee.
Perfectly reasonable, plainly stated. If you have a problem with this it's your own fault.

I figured this is how I'd make a bit of money, but almost all of this got eaten up when I had to pay the artwork fee for the Portal keyset and I only collected 125 orders to begin with. $125 for the amount of time I put into this is pathetic.

2. Shipping costs.
It's likely the price charged for shipping is a little over the actual cost but /everyone/ in charge of any group buy would do this. It's far too difficult to get exact prices for everyone so any money he makes here is reasonable assuming the charged price is relatively close to the actual, within about a dollar or two I'd say.

In some cases, shipping was more than I anticipated, some it was less. In this case, the vast majority of orders shipped via flat rate box at a rate of $5.20, not $5.00. That means that for a good 2/3 of the orders I was only collecting $0.80 instead of a dollar, again meaning I hardly made anything or potentially lost money on those. The few international orders I had that weren't flat rate boxes I was able to make some money to make up for that, as the average cost per envelope was always below the $10 I have been charging.

3. Price breaks.
Here's where I see the first potential ethical issue. There were 94 orders from portal sets and he ordered 6 extra to reach the 100 set price break but we were still charged at the price for 75. Granted this is only a 31 cent difference so it's not the end of the world clearly.
While I don't think Biniaris has an issue with the Portal keysets, I honestly don't see a moral issue here. In order to reach 100 sets, I had to spend $75.52 of my own money to get it. Why should I have to spend $120 just so everyone gets a price break? I think it is reasonable for everyone to contribute to the purchase of the extras if the savings aren't that significant and the sum of those savings is not greater than the cost of ordering the extras. If I have to invest more of my own money to get the discounts, then I see nothing wrong with being the one reaping the profits later.

Now as for the SC2 keys, this is where I realize I may have been wrong. Given what I had seen in the TL.net buy and others, I figured it was the status quo to do what I did and use the savings to fund the extras. In this case the overall order was cheaper, meaning I got my SC2 extras for free. However, if I had shared that discount with everyone, that would mean that I would have to pay almost $300 to get the extras. Its a double sided coin, I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy any extras and nobody would have gotten the discounts anyways. In my current and future group buys, I will be working toward a more reasonable solution, but if the situation is similar everyone needs to either accept this conundrum or deal elsewhere. I do not have the extra time to sit there and give everyone refunds of 50 cents or a couple dollars, I hope you understand.

4. Extras.
If the extras were bought to reach a price break and that price break was passed on to those involved (though as in point 3, it wasn't) then of course everyone in the group buy would want him to buy the extras. Of course there's no logical option other than for Ragnorock to keep the extras, unless he was to raffle them off randomly to people in the group buy but I'd actually prefer he kept them. The issue to many here is that the sale of these extras would see all the money go to him.

There are really only two options here. Either he does in fact keep the money for himself, though this high level of reward is contentious, or, foreseeing that he would be making money off the sales of the extras, deduct that amount (or some percentage of it) evenly from the members of the group buy. For example, say he sold the 6 extra portal sets for $20 each, then he would take $120 divided by the number of sets bought and charge each person that much less for each set they bought. This requires a great deal of foresight however so this is not something I would expect of most people running a group buy, particularly for their first time, but may be something to consider in the future.

However, he did say that he would be selling the extras at a mark up in the thread, so people knew to expect this. The problem with this is that you don't really have a choice to argue against this. If you want to get the keys you have to order with him. If you tried to organize your own group buy to combat him it would either fragment the order in two, which would force everyone to pay more, or could potentially kill the order completely. So again, while this was clearly stated, it's like a terms of service agreement that could be construed as unfair but which you really don't have an option except to accept it.

I see this as only being a problem because they went out of production and am making more than I normally would selling extras. Otherwise, this is status quo around here. Sellers are and should be able to sell their extras afterwards for a profit if they aren't retarded. For the Portal keysets, I was just fine with paying 30 cents more, so why would I want to spend $120 and go through all the effort of selling extras just to make $120 back? I'm not a charity and never said I was. As I said before, its also to reward and encourage participation in the group buy. I mean it isn't like everyone who bought SC2 keys or Portal keys haven't already seen a massive increase in their investment... everyone who bought SC2 keys has just seen an 8 fold increase in value, even at the price they paid before the next quantity discount. Portal keys are selling for double their cost and once the last couple sell out they'll go up even higher. I won't be doing another Portal group buy until sometime next year, it makes no sense to start one right now. For those that don't want to wait 6 months, that markup has value. Especially considering 6 months from now SP might change their mind and say no again, or something else happens.

5. Mark up.
On one side I understand that people who didn't participate in the group buy don't have any right to have the same price that people who were in it paid because if they did actually invest with the rest of us, we could have reached another price break and all saved money. The problem comes from the fact that we learned that signature plastics would not be making any more trademarked keycaps in the future. If Ragnorock only had the keycaps he had ordered for himself (i.e. not including the spares) and was selling them for a marked up price it would be perfectly reasonable, as everyone who had been in the group buy would have had the option of doing this.

The problem is that since Ragnorock had all the extras, which were purchased using the money of those in the group buy, none of the other people who helped pay for them see any of the sudden appreciation in value for all of these extras. However, I'm not sure exactly what can be done about this unless either the extras were raffled, some of the sales were used to help fund another group buy (which would allow the group buyers to see some return for the appreciation of the extras) or if a "grace" period were given in which people could buy the extras at a more nominal cost.

I hear what you're saying here, but I basically explained that in my response to part 3. You're right, there isn't any easy way for me to share my profits other than using some of that money to help other group buys reach their next discounts... which I am doing. In RCTs group buys I've mentioned that I will help us get to the next discounts on keys that have value to me, and in my own buys I now have more money floating around with which I can buy extras and share discounts if necessary.

6. The argument whether the group buy organizer is allowed to make profit.
Although previous group buys have been cited, I don't think that one wrong is the basis for another, though I'm glad that we ended up having the lesser of two evils, for which we can thank Ragnorock. Although he may be making more than expected off of this, we certainly paid less than we might have if someone else had been in charge. There are other group buys however in which the organizer sells extras at cost rather than profit, namely iMav's poker group buy right now from which I bought extras.

Earlier I had cited the idea of a cooperative and, sadly, it was compared to communism. A cooperative is not communism and I think many people tend to jump on that word too much, especially people from the US as they sort of live in an environment where communism is a sort of negative buzz word. Many famous businesses (WestJet, Desjardins bank, Costco) are cooperatives and the idea is that everyone owns the business equally, which is analogous to everyone being an equal member in the group buy, so no one person makes a huge profit but rather everyone benefits. I'm a member of several cooperatives myself. Everyone owns 1 share and the prices can't be beat compared to traditional businesses.

Even if you look at this from the point of view of capitalism like several people were arguing, it still doesn't add up. Ragnorock is a business. I believe in his business, so I invest in his stocks so he has capital to go about his business. If his business turns a profit, as an investor I either get dividends or otherwise see a return from the appreciation of the stock. Instead the money stayed with him. In a more simple sense, if you give someone money to go buy something for you, yes you might let them take some as a fee but you expect to get your change.

Anyways, that's a really crude look to it (and I'm no businessman so this will be my weakest argument that people can probably peck at, but if you do please don't forget the other points I've brought up) and, rather than to accuse Ragnorock, this is mostly to argue that this isn't exactly capitalism either to the people who brought it up. Anyways, the point is that yes, he is allowed to make some profit, but that profit should ideally not be much more than the handling fee, or if he's going to be making profit from other sources, the handling fee could be removed.

I don't think I really need to say much here if you consider what I said in the previous responses. I made almost nothing or lost money from the handling fee and shipping. If everyone wants me to continue to invest my time into running these, its going to require that I make enough money that it is worth my time. If the extra SC2 keys hadn't appreciated so much, I'd barely be making enough to say it has been worth my time. I mean really guys, I'd much rather be playing SC2, BF3, or Skyrim... my SC2 account has dropped to Platinum because I haven't laddered any significant amount in 1v1 for months.

---

In closing, I just want to conclude that there are some things that could have been done better but many of them are only clear in hindsight. I will happily keep ordering from Ragnorock's group buys, and though I don't expect anything to be done retroactively regarding these ones, I certainly wouldn't mind to see some changes for future ones.

I certainly hope my changes are sufficient, if they aren't then please lmk.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #442 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 12:00:30 »
we are STILL on this :crazy:
Keyboardless

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #443 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 12:06:50 »
Only thing worth reading in the last few pages is my last response and Oneproduct's post.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #444 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 12:08:29 »
why is everyone mad? I sold a clickclack cap for 300% profit.
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #445 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 12:17:36 »
Quote from: noodles256;452671
why is everyone mad? I sold a clickclack cap for 300% profit.
Probably could of got more.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #446 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 12:27:25 »
Quote from: litster;452452

^If this was Facebook, I would have "liked" this post.

Offline DeadJenkins

« Reply #447 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 13:39:17 »
So uh... What's the big fuss about? This is my first group buy ever and it seems to make sense to me. The only thing I could possible be irked about is the 94 != 100 thing, but from a logical standpoint, that's exactly what should have happened, there was not 100 orders. I supposed in the future, I would like to get the discounted price seeing as it was only a small amount off, but it would be the technical equivalent of him buying 106 extra sets for himself/selling and gave us all the discounted price. It would be nice, but that's not really how it works, I gather. Just my 31 cents, but I'm a bit late anyhow.

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #448 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 14:21:42 »
Quote from: oneproduct;452619
I just want to start by saying ...
[...]
 I will happily keep ordering from Ragnorock's group buys, and though I don't expect anything to be done retroactively regarding these ones, I certainly wouldn't mind to see some changes for future ones.

Thanks for the summary!

Organising a group buy takes a lot of time. Even if it is only a follow-up.

Reading all those complains, I can be lucky that Round 3 was so confusing that no one ever will find out how I manipulated the prices to make important low-quantity kits happen at the expense of all the toy stuff.

In my opinion, selling off the extras for extra high prices is absolutely OK. Same for pocketing the rebates. You knew the price before and accepted it. This is the price, period!

1x
75 keys $1.76 / each
100 keys $1.44 / each

^^^ Are these the prices?
LOL!

Round 3:
$0.49 / each and no set up fee for the 1 unit keys,
but I've charged $2 per key and would do it again!
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline Vornath

« Reply #449 on: Tue, 15 November 2011, 15:13:35 »
I am a capitalist. (Well, retired capitalist.)

I have no problem with profits.

I fully support the person running the buy adding a handling fee (fixed or percentage) to each order as long as this is fully disclosed in the original offer.

I have no objection to anyone, the person running the buy or any participant, purchasing more items than they need and selling the extras for whatever price they choose.

I am, however, bothered by one aspect of group buys discussed in this thread. That is, when the actual cost of the items determined by volume purchased is not borne by all participants equally.

oneproduct stated it:

"Here's where I see the first potential ethical issue. There were 94 orders from portal sets and he ordered 6 extra to reach the 100 set price break but we were still charged at the price for 75."

Ragnorock's response:

"...I honestly don't see a moral issue here. In order to reach 100 sets, I had to spend $75.52 of my own money to get it. Why should I have to spend $120 just so everyone gets a price break? I think it is reasonable for everyone to contribute to the purchase of the extras if the savings aren't that significant and the sum of those savings is not greater than the cost of ordering the extras. If I have to invest more of my own money to get the discounts, then I see nothing wrong with being the one reaping the profits later."

I disagree with this. Ragnarock, you did not have to spend $75.52 of your own money in order to get the 100 count price break. You could have simply ordered 94 sets and everybody would have paid what they expected. Nobody else in the group benefited by you bumping the count to 100. Yet they contributed 94% of the orders towards reaching that count.

If someone else in the group saw the count at 94 and decided to increase their order by 6 at the last minute to reach 100 count pricing, would anyone expect that person alone to pay the lower price and also pocket the price difference paid by all the other participants? I suspect not.

I prefer the way RColinTaylor is running the "Novelty Doubleshot Group Buy". The current order counts and prices are updated regularly in the first post, and participants are increasing their orders at a great pace in order to reduce the prices for themselves and everybody else.

I commend you, Ragnarock, for disclosing your volume pricing policy in the first post of your NyanCaps and Triforce offering. I originally expressed interest in those keys, but have decided not participate on principle.

Lastly, I bear no hard feelings towards Ragnarock or those of you who disagree with my opinion on this. I just think it violates the "spirit" of a "group" buy.