Author Topic: RACE Keyboard - OFFICIAL PRE-ORDER / PRE-PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS!!  (Read 237157 times)

Offline Lord de Seis

Re: RACE Keyboard - OFFICIAL PRE-ORDER / PRE-PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS!!
« Reply #1000 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 16:57:29 »
now get a pure!

also:

note the "imperfect":
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=145

OHHHH VORTEX U SILLY
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2012, 17:00:50 by Lord de Seis »

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1001 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 17:54:19 »
lord, are you recommending me a pure because the right shift is better for me?

i tend to press the VERY right of the shift key..so i always press up arrow in my MMO, and it makes me _____ rage... cus it makes me type the last thing i typed... so i could be fighting someone, then i cant attack, or something due to typing (terrible example, cus i dont use chat while fighting)
I\'d rather die like a man than live like a coward - 2pac

Offline captain

« Reply #1002 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 16:26:19 »
My biggest problem with the Race is that the keys all feel goopey.  I checked, and yes, they're MX Blues, although I cannot be certain that they are CHERRY MXBlues.  Maybe some Chinese knockoff?  sigh.  Thank God for Filco.  They do keyboards right.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1003 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 17:59:37 »
this is my first mx blue, im not sure what you mean by goopey.. is it that they are a tad loose in feeling or the key is wobbely?

Offline captain

« Reply #1004 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 12:24:46 »
They feel like they are rubbing on something.  They don't POP up & down with a light touch and crisp click.  Yeah, the clonk is there, but it's no Filco.  There is so much "friction" that I occasionally miss a key entirely.  It is moderately annoying.  Not what I expected from $120 worth of keyboard.  The green lights are nice.  The size of the keybaord is nice.  They key layout is almost perfect.  I don't know what they did to screw up the Cherry switches, unless, like I suspect, they aren't authentic Cherry switches.  :-/  (Actually, I don't think they have totally defrauded us.  Maybe they are just old, stored in a shipping container at the docks for 10 years, rusty, Cherry switches.  I don't see the keys rubbing on anything, so I'm not sure why the touch is wrong.  It just is.  Maybe I'll have time to sleuth more later and come up with an answer.  Right now, I'm typing on my beloved Filco Camo MX Blues with Wyse keycaps.  HEAVEN!  :-)
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1005 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 15:36:44 »
Can someone please post here about their cherry mx blues? Ive only tried these switches on a BWU, and that was almost eight months ago.  I have no problems with my keyboard; In fact, I'm surprised my metal plate on the back is aligned perfectly.

Do these blues feel authentic to everyone else that purchased them?

By the way, my parents must hate me.... They are a room away, and I was up typing at night. Definitely like the sound, but I don't feel comfortable even pressing one key-stroke when I know people are sleeping. I can't wait to buy a laptop and bring my keyboard to the library.

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #1006 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 16:30:49 »
They feel like they are rubbing on something.  They don't POP up & down with a light touch and crisp click.  Yeah, the clonk is there, but it's no Filco.  There is so much "friction" that I occasionally miss a key entirely.  It is moderately annoying.  Not what I expected from $120 worth of keyboard.  The green lights are nice.  The size of the keybaord is nice.  They key layout is almost perfect.  I don't know what they did to screw up the Cherry switches, unless, like I suspect, they aren't authentic Cherry switches.  :-/  (Actually, I don't think they have totally defrauded us.  Maybe they are just old, stored in a shipping container at the docks for 10 years, rusty, Cherry switches.  I don't see the keys rubbing on anything, so I'm not sure why the touch is wrong.  It just is.  Maybe I'll have time to sleuth more later and come up with an answer.  Right now, I'm typing on my beloved Filco Camo MX Blues with Wyse keycaps.  HEAVEN!  :-)

The difference you're noticing is probably the PCB mounting of the switches, vs your Filco's plate mounting. It can make keystrokes feel different, even if the switch is the same. As for the keycaps being fakes, they'd be some pretty impressive knockoffs. I mean, they have Cherry branding on them and everything haha.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1007 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 17:03:27 »
I just realized I have a pack of O-rings, and I completely forgot about them since I got them two weeks after I submitted my pre-order for the RACE. I believe there are only 90-94 of them. I'm being a wuss about tampering with the keycaps, but I want to know if i can swap my "Fn" key with the ":acorn:" & if it is recommended to do this when the keyboard is not plugged into a working computer. Got sidetracked, but I figured if I man up and remove some key caps.. I can insert some O-rings and see how they feel on some keys I don't use (or even the arrow keys, that I rarely use).

Offline Dajm

« Reply #1008 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 17:23:29 »
I'm being a wuss about tampering with the keycaps, but I want to know if i can swap my "Fn" key with the ":acorn:" & if it is recommended to do this when the keyboard is not plugged into a working computer.

Yes, you can switch the Fn-keycap with the acorn-keycap (that's what it's there for).

It doesn't matter whether you switch keycaps while the keyboard is plugged in or not.
(I usually start notepad or something like that so that my keystrokes don't trigger anything)
Just be careful not to pull out the whole switch if you use a wire-keycap-puller.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1009 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 18:11:52 »
Thanks Dajm. I don't have a wire puller or a plastic one, and I'm on the hunt for a paper-clip..but someone linked a picture earlier (that I still have saved) and it showed two paper-clips forming a wire-puller. I'm just tripping on damaging these keys, and not having a second key set is really making me nervous about breaking a keycap.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1010 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 18:13:49 »
you'll be fine and honestly if they get a little screwed up you probably wont even notice because it will be at the bottom of the key. but seriously you should almost be able to pull the keys off with your fingers... just dont yank or pull if it feels like there is anything but friction from the key on the stem.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Lord de Seis

« Reply #1011 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 18:40:08 »
just got my race. can't say i'm a fan of the blues... the space bar click feels especially weird.  but nothing seems to be wrong with it so far.

LEDs seem fine. nothing unlit or whatever. the backplate is a little wonky, though. it looks like it doesnt' want to stay on. like, if i press the center of the plate, the sides kind of spring out. it just flexes. now were are my white keycaps :(

also, thanks imav!

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1012 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 19:09:15 »
what dont you like about the blues lord de seis, can you explain it to me please?

Offline Lord de Seis

« Reply #1013 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 00:34:51 »
IT'S TOO MAINSTREAM. jk. i'm not totally into the whole tactile switches i guess. especially that spacebar. idk if i can get used to it.

Offline captain

« Reply #1014 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 11:12:22 »
Well, MXBlues on a Race are not the same as MXBlues on a Filco.  I find it hard to believe that simply the mounting makes this much difference.  It really feels like the difference between an off the rack Schwin and a well tuned $25,000 racing Bianchi.

If you want quiet, yet mechanical, get a HHKB, or other Topre.  ;-)

Offline Lord de Seis

« Reply #1015 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 14:26:20 »
i already own a hhkb, but went back to browns for some reason...

Offline cwilson

« Reply #1016 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 15:10:16 »
I just got my four keyboards (one of each key switch type), and unlike a few people here I guess, I'm really happy with them!  The switches are all very good.  I thought it would be easy to pick my favorite, but I'm actually having a really tough time picking one to keep.  I thought I would prefer the blues for sure because I've been typing on ALPS for so long, but the linear switches are not bad at all.  I haven't typed much with the blacks yet, but I think they are much better than people give them credit for (or lack thereof).  Definitely not too much resistance to type on...or perhaps my decades of ALPS usage have beefed up my fingers much more than the girly men who complain about them, hahaha.  Construction feels really good to me, not getting this "flex" that others are talking about when pressing down the keys.  I haven't had any trouble at all with the right Shift key, it's right where it should be.  The backplates do look like they need to be shaved down a bit, they're slightly too big for the slot they go into, so I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. 

One thing though, I thought 6KRO was supposed to be six keys plus 4 modifier keys?  I can only use six total, including modifier keys.  Anyway, I'm really happy with the Race, it's exactly what I've been looking for in a small keyboard.  I just wish I could afford to keep them all so I could swap them out now and then.  Huge props to iMav for putting this all together, can't thank you enough, man! 
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 September 2012, 17:41:20 by cwilson »

Offline Delirious

« Reply #1017 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 15:50:52 »
I have received my keyboard, but iMav did not send me a shipping invoice yet. So anyone who lives in the States and ordered 1 keyboard please let me know how much they paid for the shipping. I will fulfill that amount and just send it straight to iMav because I know he is very busy atm. Thank you.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1018 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 22:47:31 »
If ANYONE hasn't received their RACE keyboard order (we don't have the keycaps yet), please drop me an email.  me [at] imav [dot] org

Offline Intense

« Reply #1019 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 20:44:27 »
just got my race. can't say i'm a fan of the blues... the space bar click feels especially weird.  but nothing seems to be wrong with it so far.

LEDs seem fine. nothing unlit or whatever. the backplate is a little wonky, though. it looks like it doesnt' want to stay on. like, if i press the center of the plate, the sides kind of spring out. it just flexes. now were are my white keycaps :(

also, thanks imav!

same problem here
Ergodox EZ w/Zilent V2s | WIP Dactyl Manuform 5x7 w/Holy Pandas

Offline iMav

« Reply #1020 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 10:17:44 »
Last call for outstanding orders.  Anyone order a RACE KEYBOARD and not receive it????

Offline transcend3nt

« Reply #1021 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 10:53:54 »
Hello, does anyone happen to have any spare White KBT Keycaps sets lying around which I can buy? Please drop me a PM if you do :( been sourcing for them locally but with no luck.

Offline kabro91

« Reply #1022 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 20:25:14 »
Yes me as well...if anyone has any white keycaps to spare. Send me a PM

Offline Lord de Seis

« Reply #1023 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 21:54:45 »
i don't think  anyone has received the white caps yet...

Offline captain

« Reply #1024 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 03:51:29 »
I have received my keyboard, but iMav did not send me a shipping invoice yet. So anyone who lives in the States and ordered 1 keyboard please let me know how much they paid for the shipping. I will fulfill that amount and just send it straight to iMav because I know he is very busy atm. Thank you.

I never got a shipping bill either.  I sent him $11.  That was a few pennies more than the actual shipping should have been.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1025 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 15:51:25 »
I'm digging my keyboard, but if you have time iMav, please let us know if they have talked to you about the key caps. Are we going to stay strong, and ask for our original order to be fulfilled (besides the whole keyboard mix-up)?

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #1026 on: Tue, 25 September 2012, 21:06:37 »
Last call for outstanding orders.  Anyone order a RACE KEYBOARD and not receive it????

I don't think I received mine, but I also never paid for shipping. I'm out of the country for a year now, so I guess I could check with home if I got a package.

Also never received any contact from you about it.

Offline Kokin

« Reply #1027 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 01:42:12 »
For anyone who has had their Race for a while, did you get flickering or dim LEDs? Have you found a way to fix it? I've tried to play with the capacitors, but I'm running on very basic circuits knowledge so it's not helping me.

Offline luckynet

« Reply #1028 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 10:42:29 »
sorry for the late reply, was busy with work, i have not receive my keyboard. also the shipping email.
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky

Offline BoxWithADot

« Reply #1029 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 10:49:47 »
For anyone who has had their Race for a while, did you get flickering or dim LEDs? Have you found a way to fix it? I've tried to play with the capacitors, but I'm running on very basic circuits knowledge so it's not helping me.

It's a common problem I'm afraid  :-[ I've experimented as well and haven't found any solution.

Offline cix

« Reply #1030 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 03:17:34 »
So the consensus is that if you ordered extra keycaps, don't hold your breath for em?

Offline AJCarrington

« Reply #1031 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 08:57:16 »
Pretty much...

Offline kvltntr00

« Reply #1032 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 02:00:44 »
REDACTED
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2016, 18:59:31 by kvltntr00 »

Offline Dajm

« Reply #1033 on: Wed, 03 October 2012, 13:29:29 »
No, Vortex has been absolutely horrible about giving feedback. It seems the energy and effort needed to get feedback (if at all) will probably be way more than what the board is worth.

They haven't updated their Facebook page in a long time either. It looks like they're just gone.

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1034 on: Tue, 09 October 2012, 14:14:30 »
Any news on the keycaps, after they offered the generic set? Thanks in advance :)

Offline iMav

« Reply #1035 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 09:29:09 »
I don't think I received mine, but I also never paid for shipping. I'm out of the country for a year now, so I guess I could check with home if I got a package.

Please PM me the details of your order (your name and shipping address, the content of your order, and the PP transaction number (if you have it).

Has anyone here been successful in contacting Vortex? I need to RMA my RACE but can't get a hold of anyone at Vortex...
What is wrong with your keyboard and what specific flavor of RACE do you have (switch type and LED color)?

Offline kvltntr00

« Reply #1036 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 16:10:45 »
REDACTED
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2016, 18:59:54 by kvltntr00 »

Offline Lord de Seis

« Reply #1037 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 19:44:54 »
so what's the news on those white pbt's?

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1038 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 18:30:45 »
^
I wonder if Vortex has told iMav anything about the white key caps or sub-par replacements.  I am digging the keyboard and the switches I chose (blue), but could see myself having reds just for contrast!

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1039 on: Mon, 29 October 2012, 21:07:59 »
so what's the news on those white pbt's?

Ditto.

Offline audukent

« Reply #1040 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 22:55:59 »
Whats the dilio on the white keycaps? :D
[LZ-GH - 62g mx greens and 62g mx clears]    [Ducky Shine - mx browns]    [RACE mxMini - mxreds]  [POKER II - mx Blacks]    [KPAD - 62g mx blacks]

Offline iMav

« Reply #1041 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 08:38:45 »
Whats the dilio on the white keycaps? :D
EE006010085TW
EE006010071TW
EE006010068TW

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #1042 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 06:15:45 »

Please PM me the details of your order (your name and shipping address, the content of your order, and the PP transaction number (if you have it).

Sent you a PM, never got a response.

My home in the states says no package ever arrived.

Offline Lord de Seis

« Reply #1043 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 06:26:07 »
so did those of us who ordered some white keycaps just lose $35 to vortex?

Offline iMav

RACE Keyboard - OFFICIAL PRE-ORDER / PRE-PAYMENT INSTRUCTIONS!!
« Reply #1044 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 08:14:49 »
so did those of us who ordered some white keycaps just lose $35 to vortex?
No.  I am now (finally) in possession of the key caps.  I will be sending out shipping fund requests today...

Offline xquisit

« Reply #1045 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 14:20:41 »
I just got the e-mail, iMav. Sending payment.

Offline megnin

• Topre, or not Topre? That is the question.
« Reply #1046 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 19:34:52 »
I just sent in my shipping payment, too.

Thanks, iMav!!!! ;D
“The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad." -- Salvador Dali

Offline KylJoy

« Reply #1047 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 20:23:55 »
Paid the shipping!  Looking forward to the keyset.  Thanks!

Offline Lord de Seis

« Reply #1048 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 20:59:14 »
has everyone received the shipping fund requests already? i still haven't received mine

Offline luckynet

« Reply #1049 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 22:24:34 »
finally!! wooot!! can't wait :) still waiting for shipping funds request
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky