Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 167678 times)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: demik;546206
So copying cherry font  is not innovation but copying another font is? You got some explaining to do captain.

Sounds fishy to me.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Thread title updated, in case there was any confusion as to what we are trying to do here.

For completeness sake, I am quoting what I wrote in the first post of this thread:

Signature Plastics’ font selection is limited.  It has been brought up through many group buy discussions that it would be good if we could make custom keycaps with a font that is very close to the original Cherry font.  We know this is possible through creating moogle kit keycaps and the result has been fantastic.  

What’s been stopping us from making a full set of keycaps with a font similar to the original Cherry font is the cost of creating the legends.  It is anywhere between $10 to $40 per keycap.  It is a lot of money to get a full set of legends made.  Luckily, a few new legends have already been made through the recent moogle kit group buy (Shift, Control, Alt, Windows, menu, Esc).  

To get the rest of the legends made, a few regular keycap group buyers and forum members are teaming up to start an “Adopt a Cherry keycap” project.  People can now adopt a keycap by pledging to pay for the legend fee for the adopted keycap.  The resulting legends from this effort will be available to any future group buy.  We will maintain a list of “parents” and their adopted keycaps so the community can recognize the “parents’” contribution.  If you choose to support this effort anonymously, we will respect that.   You can adopt one keycap, you can adopt many keycaps.  

If you are interested in joining this effort, please post here to let the thread know which keycap you are adopting.

Offline litster

Offline captain

Quote from: demik;546206
So copying cherry font  is not innovation but copying another font is? You got some explaining to do captain.

Gladly, but this thread's rubric has been more strictly defined, so let's leave them to copy Cherry's old font, and go have our illuminated font discussion elsewhere, more appropriate to such pursuits.  I was going to go start one, but I need to put some thought into it, in order to effect a thread wherein we can nurture communal creativity and brilliance to develop the planets' BEST KEYCAP EVER!  :-)
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline captain

Best color choices

Strange. Geekhack refused to let me host the jpg here.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Quote from: ripster;546227
So I will leave this thread.  GLWIC.

I do not think that means what you think that means.  This is an adoption, not an interest check.  Right?
Russ

Offline litster

Quote from: captain;546285
Best color choices

Show Image

Strange. Geekhack refused to let me host the jpg here.

What is you point of best color choices in a font/legend thread?

Offline litster

Only 6 keys left:

Numpad 4
Numpad 6
Numpad 8
Numpad 9
Numpad -
Numpad /

And, anyone else want to bid for the naming right?  Do I hear $110?  $115?  $110?  $120?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Quote from: litster;546342
What is you point of best color choices in a font/legend thread?

my guess is he mixed up this with the wyse gb thread
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Quote from: ripster;546323
It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

This is not a slam on Melissa.

I thought you were leaving this thread?

Offline RColinTaylor

Quote from: litster;546345
Only 6 keys left:

Numpad 4
Numpad 6
Numpad 8
Numpad 9
Numpad -
Numpad /

And, anyone else want to bid for the naming right?  Do I hear $110?  $115?  $110?  $120?

Well damn; if I win a font named after me then it better end up on a kit I want... that Miami Vice deal makes me want to vomit.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
everyone else is too polite to tell you to **** off ripster, so imma do it. **** off ripster.

i'll adopt st john's arms.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline RColinTaylor

Quote from: mkawa;546559
everyone else is too polite to tell you to **** off ripster, so imma do it. **** off ripster.

i'll adopt st john's arms.

That's a bit rude... I like Ripster; he doesn't back out of group buys even after I **** them up royally.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
i like ripster but he needs to stop trolling this thread

also i don't know the story of this thing of yours rct so not sure if serious etc.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline RColinTaylor

Quote from: mkawa;546575
i like ripster but he needs to stop trolling this thread

also i don't know the story of this thing of yours rct so not sure if serious etc.

I never kid about keycaps. And trolling a thread that needs only a numpad is fine in my book... tenkeys are foolish.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
naturally i also think tenkeys are foolish, but looking at rag's GB, 40/130 buyers bought tenkey kits. that's a very non-trivial portion. in short, we're going to need tenkey legends.

Offline RColinTaylor

...I bought a Tsangan kit but don't have 1x modifiers or anything else Phantom.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
wat

Offline RColinTaylor

Exactly.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Some people bought the 104 kit to make the overall set more complete.  I have both 104 and tickle boards and like them both.  I'm *planning* to use his set on my CM Storm, but I'd be annoyed if I wanted to do something else with it down the road and was missing keys.  It would also help me sell it.

If there was a GB with these legends, I'd be less inclined to buy in if it lacked ten keys.  I may be willing to adopt more keys once we know what the price is really going to be.
Russ

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Hashbaz. Have you contacted Melissa about the legending fee yet?
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline litster

It may not be of everyone's opinion, but I feel ripster has earned enough respect around here that he can afford to spend some of those points to troll around.  Hey, he made me change the thread title.  That's a positive change.  Meanwhile there are other people who has earned no points but...  Those, I don't care for.

Offline RColinTaylor

Quote from: litster;546708
It may not be of everyone's opinion, but I feel ripster has earned enough respect around here that he can afford to spend some of those points to troll around.  Hey, he made me change the thread title.  That's a positive change.  Meanwhile there are other people who has earned no points but...  Those, I don't care for.

I will give you a dollar for some points.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff

Ahahaha.

I'm fairly new. And from what I get, is that Ripster has made a ton of wikis and contributions to deserve some kind of respect. At the same time he acts like a **** and trolls around every thread on the forum. For those who rage really hard, my tip is to roll with the punches and accept him. Its more fun that way. The only reason why you're mad is because you're letting him troll you.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44273[/ATTACH]

Also if there are any Electrical Engineers out there. Specifically those who do DSP (Noise filtering) and Digital Systems. Let me know. If you help me do my coursework faster, I can get legends done faster! = p Good trade imo.

Offline litster

Okay, I will take st. John's wart.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Quote from: ripster;546718
I like this guy.

The splat key is an excellent choice.

What's the Cherry Font for that?
i like to think that ripster and i have a positive co-trolling relationship.

we'll add some serifs to the splat and call it a day.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus

Quote from: hazeluff;546714
I'm fairly new. And from what I get, is that Ripster has made a ton of wikis and contributions to deserve some kind of respect. At the same time he acts like a **** and trolls around every thread on the forum. For those who rage really hard, my tip is to roll with the punches and accept him. Its more fun that way. The only reason why you're mad is because you're letting him troll you.

This is pretty much how I feel about ripster.  I'm glad he's around because he really does know a ton about keyboards, and has put in a lot of work with his wikis and experiments and such.  I don't understand his need to constantly troll and crap in 80% of the threads on the forum.  I try to ignore him for the most part, unless he is saying something useful (which can be hard to distinguish from the chaff sometimes), or derailing one of my threads.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: hazeluff;546691
Hashbaz. Have you contacted Melissa about the legending fee yet?

Yep.  No response yet.

Offline litster

ripster is now quietly weeping tears of joy knowing some weirdos do not hate him.  ;-)

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Ok some bad news guys.  Melissa says there is not a volume discount for new legend fees, and there never has been in the past.  Do we have a definite source for the $10 per legend quote?

And for the record, here is what she said about new molds:

To get new molds made for a thicker keycap would be around $3500 per keycap shape - there are 14 total shapes on the standard 104 keyboard (including the spacebar), which comes out to around $49,000. This price would be for blanks or 2-shot, however we would be using our 1st shot components for the 2-shot keycaps.

Please note that set pricing will change - will be higher - as our tooling is larger and has the capacity to run more keycaps at a time than what I have quoted in the past.

We don't make the tooling in house - we source with a local tool maker, so I really wouldn't be able to explain why it costs so much.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;546819
Ok some bad news guys.  Melissa says there is not a volume discount for new legend fees, and there never has been in the past.  Do we have a definite source for the $10 per legend quote?

And for the record, here is what she said about new molds:

There was no official source for it. Someone mentioned it, but I didn't say he was reliable. I think someone just blurted it without anything to back it up. What did she say it would cost for legends?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
The regular fee.  My RGBY legends were $35 each.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;546840
The regular fee.  My RGBY legends were $35 each.

So $35 per key. This is pricey already. Need to drop a few keys T-T. I don't tihnk I can afford 5/6.

Offline snowboarder3

Ouch. Not sure I can do 35 a key either... anything up to 20 fine

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Ouch.  There will be some drop-outs, I suspect.  Perhaps the rest can be subsidized by the Dolch reproduction GB that (I assume) was to follow this exercise?
Russ

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
litster. Since its $35 each. Id like to keep =+ and 6^ and open up all my others for adoption.

Offline litster

Quote from: hazeluff;546956
litster. Since its $35 each. Id like to keep =+ and 6^ and open up all my others for adoption.

OK.  List updated.

1, 2, 9, 0 are now available!  adopt them now before they are gone again!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
in that case I'll grab '1' and drop the cmd key.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
I dropped all my lucky numbers ><

Sigh...hoping for the $10 was too optimistic.

Anyway my week is brightening up. I had very luckily stumbled into the solution to my one of my coursework. Tho on a sadder side I had done pretty poor in my exam. Oh well. Can't wait to start on legends.

Offline litster

Quote from: mkawa;546982
in that case I'll grab '1' and drop the cmd key.

List updated.

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
9  please

Offline mickd

Maybe open this up for donations too (for the people that aren't able to put in $35 for a whole key). That won't be as exciting though.

Offline litster

net2522 got 9.  List updated.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
So I am finally close to finishing my first key.  This took me a couple of hours tonight.  After a few more tweaks I'll be sending it to Melissa on Monday to be made into a prototype for the moogle3 buy.  The key top rectangle, size, line width, and position of the letters are all to scale for an SP enter key.

I took SP's "legendable area" into account, so what you see here should be very close to what you get.  Line width here is 0.015" for the letters and 0.018" for the arrow, though there's still some debate going on in the RGBY thread about which of SP's cutters was actually used on the RGBY keys.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44405[/ATTACH]

Offline litster

Nice!  One keycap at a time.

Offline mbc

• -delete-
Regarding cutters, we only need to test them on one or two keys,so the costs would be reasonable

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Ah also. Before I start on the legends. Does anyone know the specific cutter sizes that SP has. We need to pick the closest one to what the cherry font's width is.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
I don't have a list, but I'm familiar with the sizes that work for the modifier keys.

There is 0.015", 0.018", 0.020", and 0.025".  Not sure if there's a width between 20 and 25, or what they have above 25.

I'll ask for a list.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;547753
I don't have a list, but I'm familiar with the sizes that work for the modifier keys.

There is 0.015", 0.018", 0.020", and 0.025".  Not sure if there's a width between 20 and 25, or what they have above 25.

I'll ask for a list.

Cheers. Also someone offered to take some photos/measurements of legends. (That was like a week ago).

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: hazeluff;547754
Cheers. Also someone offered to take some photos/measurements of legends. (That was like a week ago).

That was agor, and I think it's just photos.  I've been measuring by photocopying keys next to a ruler and blowing the image up.