Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 167760 times)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;547755
That was agor, and I think it's just photos.  I've been measuring by photocopying keys next to a ruler and blowing the image up.

Zirb offered help as well = ). Well my old legends I made, were based on ratios, and I think that turned out alright. Tho nice measurements wouldn't have hurt.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: hazeluff;547820
Zirb offered help as well = ). Well my old legends I made, were based on ratios, and I think that turned out alright. Tho nice measurements wouldn't have hurt.

Nice.  I don't think it's possible to ensure that the legends have the proper scale on SP keys using only ratios though, unless I'm missing something... ?

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;547828
Nice.  I don't think it's possible to ensure that the legends have the proper scale on SP keys using only ratios though, unless I'm missing something... ?

You see on my template how I have the keytop around the legendable area? That is to scale. So in my previous attempt at the font I scaled the picture's keytop to my keytop and drew my legend over the image's for the first draft. I mean everything we send will be in absolute lengths tho.

Not sure what you were asking tho..>.>

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: hazeluff;547831
You see on my template how I have the keytop around the legendable area? That is to scale. So in my previous attempt at the font I scaled the picture's keytop to my keytop and drew my legend over the image's for the first draft. I mean everything we send will be in absolute lengths tho.

Not sure what you were asking tho..>.>

I mean that the ratios of the dimensions of Cherry's key top to those of the legend will be slightly different than SP's key top to the same legend.

Probably the size difference between the two key tops is small enough that this won't matter.  My approach was to hold the size of the legend constant (by measuring it), and scaling my overlay image to that measurement rather than aligning key tops.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;547846
I mean that the ratios of the dimensions of Cherry's key top to those of the legend will be slightly different than SP's key top to the same legend.

Probably the size difference between the two key tops is small enough that this won't matter.  My approach was to hold the size of the legend constant (by measuring it), and scaling my overlay image to that measurement rather than aligning key tops.

It shouldn't make too much difference.

Mine was constant, but my first iteration involved just taking the ratio. We need to decide on a stroke width tho for the different legends.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: hazeluff;547864
It shouldn't make too much difference.

Mine was constant, but my first iteration involved just taking the ratio. We need to decide on a stroke width tho for the different legends.

How do you know it is constant without measuring?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: ripster;547867
Make sure it's not this:
(Attachment Link) 44434[/ATTACH]

What about this image shows a deficiency in SP's quality control?

And tell Melissa next time to pick 20th Century next time.  Should work fine as a monoline font and it looks like what HP uses.
(Attachment Link) 44435[/ATTACH]

I like this font a lot, but the sharp edges make it a no go for custom legends done with SP's cutters.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;547872
How do you know it is constant without measuring?

Assumptions based on what I had to work off of?

Anyway, we need it measured now and then create the font off that width.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: hazeluff;547879
Assumptions based on what I had to work off of?

Anyway, we need it measured now and then create the font off that width.

Is there any idea of a time frame for Zrib's measurements?  It would be great to be able to adjust my enter SVG accordingly before I get the prototype made.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;547886
Is there any idea of a time frame for Zrib's measurements?  It would be great to be able to adjust my enter SVG accordingly before I get the prototype made.

I'll PM him now. Await reply please = )

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: ripster;547880
All I know is I got that in some Group Buy and it doesn't match the Cherry Corps.

That is our fault, not SP's.  Part of the iteration that lead to the much better RGBY legends.  And as you know there are fundamental limitations on what SP can do that make perfect replicas impossible.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Litster, can I drop "numpad 0" and pick up "2" that Hazeluff opened?

Offline agor

What kinda pictures would help? Dont have any millimeter paper tho, just a normal ruler and a triangle :/

e: And only keys that are identical in German and ANSI Layout would work. Forgot my keyboard with the ANSI Cherries in the office
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
zirb said he would "Measure the hell out of the keys" tomorrow.

I'll open a thread for progress and material such as measurements in the mod section when I get home.

agor, We need something with +-0.1mm accuracy imo.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
agor, sounds like measurement is covered.  The pictures you have posted so far have been great.

Offline agor

Could do pictures like this, too.
Scale is millimeters, of course.
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Photos like that are amazing. Perfect to work with. I hope zirb has measurements covered. We only need to measure accurately once.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Quote from: dorkvader;547992
Litster, can I drop "numpad 0" and pick up "2" that Hazeluff opened?

List updated.

Offline Game Theory

I dread saying this: can I drop F2, F3, F11, and F12?
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: Game Theory;549767

I know how you feel, I had to drop some of mine.

On the bright side, more people can be apart of this without us hording all the legends.

Offline zirb

Quote from: Game Theory;549767

If you drop them, I would take F2.

Offline litster

List updated. Zirb, you have F2 now.

Keys still available for adoption:

Keys still available for adoption:

style="width: 188px"
|-
|  style="width: 92px; height: 20px" | 0
|  style="width: 96px" | Numpad -
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | F11
| Numpad /
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | F12
| Numpad 0
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | F3
| Numpad 4
|-
|  style="height: 20px" |
| Numpad 6
|-
| Numpad 8
|-
| Numpad 9
|-

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
did we get a price on the legend fees?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: demik;550270
did we get a price on the legend fees?

There's no volume discount, sadly, so the normal fees apply: $25-$45, depending on complexity.  The legend fees for my RGBY kit were all $35.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
hm, might have to drop some keys then...or put money aside for them

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: hashbaz;550271
There's no volume discount, sadly, so the normal fees apply: $25-$45, depending on complexity.  The legend fees for my RGBY kit were all $35.

I think ALPHA keys will fall into the $25 range...its pretty much as simple as it can get...

Offline zirb

Quote from: litster;550254
List updated. Zirb, you have F2 now.

[...]

Alright! :roll:

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Shouldn't there be legends for keys like F13-F24? I have never seen them in black... I'm going to have to use 12 beige/grey keys on my next black board... I would pick up F24 if F13-F23 are picked up by other people.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline litster

Quote from: The_Ed;553174
Shouldn't there be legends for keys like F13-F24? I have never seen them in black... I'm going to have to use 12 beige/grey keys on my next black board... I would pick up F24 if F13-F23 are picked up by other people.

Should I be LOL'ed?  I am not sure...

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
Quote from: The_Ed;553174

You never cease to amaze me, it's come to a point where I don't know if you're just trolling us.
Keyboardless

Offline The_Ed

Quote from: tsangan;553179
You never cease to amaze me, it's come to a point where I don't know if you're just trolling us.

I really do have F13-F24 in beige/grey DS from Tarkoon... And I want them in black... How is that trolling? I even offered to pick up F24!

Edit: The more time that goes on, the more I realize that the keys I want don't seem to be available nor wanted by others...
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2012, 00:14:25 by The_Ed »
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline litster

I don't remember last time we had a group buy with a set that includes F13 to F24.  Was it even in 7bit's epic Group Buy 3 or the more epicer Group Bug 4?  I guess I should not under estimate the vast selections available in 7bit's group buys.

Offline The_Ed

Even if they are in GB4 they wouldn't be in a faux cherry font. If only cherry still made doubleshots...
R.I.P.ster

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder

This

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
We will have enough trouble making this happen without extra F keys, methinks.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
that's really how you know it's the ultimate troll

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
atleast with tp4tissue, you can tell right off the bat he's a troll.

not that im calling the_ed a troll

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
he's not a troll, he's the ultimate troll

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline The_Ed

So just because I wan't things that you don't I'm a troll?
R.I.P.ster

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
yes, that is exactly why. exactly

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
i dont think you're a troll.

Offline The_Ed

Are you sure this isn't just a case of he who smelt it dealt it? People who call people trolls are often trolls themselves.
R.I.P.ster

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
it's well known that i'm a troll.

anyway people are tired of you suggesting that other people pay for the things that only you want. to be explicit, this is a problem. no one else cares about F13-F24, for example, so if you want it, you need to pay for it (all of it).

Offline The_Ed

How could I possibly KNOW that nobody else want's something... I offered to sponsor F24 which is doing my part if other people climb on board for the other 11.
R.I.P.ster

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
i tip my hat off to you sir.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Quote from: mkawa;553238
it's well known that i'm a troll.

anyway people are tired of you suggesting that other people pay for the things that only you want. to be explicit, this is a problem. no one else cares about F13-F24, for example, so if you want it, you need to pay for it (all of it).

But you were kind of doing the same in both alu case threads.  (trying to switch things to what you liked)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
i was pretty explicit in swede's thread that i was just suggesting things, but i wasn't designing the thing and i was fine with his renders. even then, my order is going to be pretty damn big.

in oneproduct's thread i'm brainstorming to reduce cost and increase desirability since we are having trouble meeting our MOQ and people are complaining about pricing and cosmetics (and functionality i guess -- gee, i guess that gb's not going as smoothly as we want it to :(. oneproduct's already made it clear that the thing i want can probably be made for me independently of what everyone else gets.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2012, 01:50:13 by mkawa »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Meh, I was just pointing out that what he was doing was no different than you suggesting for a thinner case in swede's thread. Nobody called you a troll there, swede just simply said no and that was that. Same with the anodizing you want in different colors. Ed suggested something, nobody jumped on board with and it should have been left alone.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
yah, you're probably right. trolling ed is fun though.

Offline litster

Hey, at least the_Ed didn't suggest making F13-F24 legends based on his heightened artistic sense or desire of symmetry.  Making F13-F24 legends almost makes sense if there were actually a lot of keyboards with F13-F24 keys in the hands of many community members.  Sadly, we still have a few numpad keys to be adopted.  I'd imagine that there are many orders of magnitude more keyboards with numpad than keyboards with F13-F24 keycaps.