Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 168489 times)

Offline mickd

How do you guys pay SP? Via PayPal as well?

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
I don't have any checks. I have a checking account, but no checks. I also don't really have $45 I feel comfortable spending, but we'll worry about that later.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline shawn o

Actually, if you accept even $1 via Paypal and transfer that to your bank account you are supposed to claim it on your taxes, state and federal.

If you ever get audited and they ask for bank records and see Paypal anywhere (withdrawl or deposit), it will have the IRS looking for blood...

Offline shawn o

Oh and those w/o checks: anyone can go to the post office and get a money order so there are no excuses.

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Oh I'll make excuses... I'm too lazy to get off my ass and go to the post office, and it's always closed anyways.

So there...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Quote from: The_Ed;591312
Oh I'll make excuses... I'm too lazy to get off my ass and go to the post office, and it's always closed anyways.

So there...

One more reason for you is you are not on the adoption parent list.  So there. :-)

Offline The_Ed

I have 4 full 104 -1 flatcaps. I don't need replicas.

Oh and F24!
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: demik;591284
Just about any form of payment will have to answer to the IRS if it goes over 20k.

Only way around this would be multiple collectors.

Even then, it would mean those people collecting are quite limited to the other GBs they run throughout the year.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline snowboarder3

Yeah, not sure I can do 45 either. I signed up under the impression it would be 10-20. I could still foot 20 but probably not full price for the legend.

Offline The_Ed

And another one gone and another one gone
Another one bites the dust, yeah
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
We kinda expected people to drop out because of this. We should be able to pick it up tho.

Offline The_Ed

Remember that if you do F13-F24 I will sponsor F24.
R.I.P.ster

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: demik;591284
Just about any form of payment will have to answer to the IRS if it goes over 20k.

Only way around this would be multiple collectors.

Yes.  This isn't really Paypal's policy per se, it's a new law or IRS policy or something that Paypal is complying with.  Other online payment systems will have the same issues.

Quote from: mickd;591298
How do you guys pay SP? Via PayPal as well?

Yep.  Though I think they can do credit card as well.

Quote from: shawn o;591307
Actually, if you accept even $1 via Paypal and transfer that to your bank account you are supposed to claim it on your taxes, state and federal.

If you ever get audited and they ask for bank records and see Paypal anywhere (withdrawl or deposit), it will have the IRS looking for blood...

This is true for non-gift Paypal payments.  And Paypal will slap you down if you accept too many gifts in return for what is obviously merchandise.  I fear mkawa is right about setting up an LLC or something so that the large flood of prepayments don't look like actual income to the IRS.  As large as group buys are getting lately, this has become a big deal.

Quote from: The_Ed;591328
Remember that if you do F13-F24 I will sponsor F24.

/slap

Offline The_Ed

You forgot about this question...

Quote from: The_Ed;591278
Why does the capslock in the OP not look like cherry or moogle?
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: The_Ed;591366
You forgot about this question...

Cherry boards have stepped caps that say:
Caps
Lock

I never had a reference for this key... so I just made it like it is in the OP.

Offline The_Ed

Use this. It's one of my 3 vintage cherry un-stepped capslocks.

R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: The_Ed;591391
Use this. It's one of my 3 vintage cherry un-stepped capslocks.

Show Image

Ah sweet, Its just the spacing. = ) Yeah, I'll have that fixed. (don't expect updated image)

Offline rindorbrot

45$ for a key that will probably never happen anyway as it's from the German layout?
I'm sorry guys, I think that I have to bail, too.
Also I don't have any idea how to send checks to the USA.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
Silly question but, once you guys please an order with SP, is SP allow to reuse these SVG files for there own future deals or they are some how copyright?
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline The_Ed

So you're saying "German layout" == "F13-F24" when it comes to groupbuys?
R.I.P.ster

Offline rindorbrot

@The_Ed

I was meaning the Ü, nothing with function keys ;)

Offline zirb

I've never payed anything per personal check, wouldn't that be a problem for international dudes like me? :(

Damn paypal :(

Offline Game Theory

I can handle the $45 thought it hurts a bit:)  A personal check works for me.  Maybe offer multiple payment options.  Ask US to use personal check/money order.  Find an easier option for internationals.

I also believe it is correct that any transaction over 20k gets reported.

Years from now when I am trusted more I might be willing to be the guy who has more complicated taxes.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 May 2012, 08:54:31 by Game Theory »
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline Zehkul

I’m on the fence here, too. So many nice things have popped up since, and I’m not sure about the 45$…

Offline mbc

• -delete-
What about this
we start a group buy with this font and share the fees between the adopters and the gb participants.
if we'd get 150+ orders the legend fees wont hurt at all...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Quote from: mbc;591620
What about this
we start a group buy with this font and share the fees between the adopters and the gb participants.

Maybe it could start with a Cherry black on white replica set. Those seem to be very popular and in demand.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rindorbrot

AFAIK there's a Dolch GB planned to use this legends first.

Offline litster

Quote from: hazeluff;591399
Ah sweet, Its just the spacing. = ) Yeah, I'll have that fixed. (don't expect updated image)

Hazeluff, for a Cherry replica set of keycaps, the capslock should be stepped, not non-stepped. It is OK to do the one-line non-stepped version *after* the 2-line stopped version.  Thanks.

Offline litster

Quote from: mbc;591620
What about this

Quote from: jdcarpe;591629
Maybe it could start with a Cherry black on white replica set. Those seem to be very popular and in demand.

This will make the GB a little bit more complicated, but it is worth a try.  If we could lower the adoption fees and spread the remaining legend fees across each set ordered in the group buy.  Will have to get Hazeluff and Hashbaz's opinion.  Money collection remain to be the biggest issue.

Wonder if iMav would help use collect money since he has had quite a few big ones done already (many keyboard group buys, 7bit's Round 3 key cap group buy).

Offline mbc

• -delete-
Can't you just get some sort of (business) license and tax the income. I ask because I don't know how much work it would be, but might be worth a try.. better than having to fight of the IRS when they check your pp.

Offline guilleguillaume

For me 45$ seems quite step having in mind that I'm going to adopt two of them. I think the idea of the GB makes sense so if people agree we could try to do it that way.

Also I don't know a different way to pay international without Paypal.

Offline mbc

• -delete-
And if we get kbdmania and odt to join in....:beer:

Offline agor

Yeah I think a Dolch GB with split fees could get enough interest.
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline The_Ed

Quote from: rindorbrot;591464
@The_Ed

I was meaning the Ü, nothing with function keys ;)

I meant that neither were likely going to be in a future GB. Thus they were == each other when it comes to GBs.
R.I.P.ster

Offline rindorbrot

ok, that makes sense, too.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
to cut the legend fees in half we'd need something like a 15$ fee on 150 sets. that would give us something like a 60$ set price before shipping at SP's recent pricing. it's definitely non-negligible. it's not clear to me that this solves much of anything though as presumably every donator would be in for at least 1 set...

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Jeez... I can do $90 but I'm not looking forward to it. If anybody wants to adopt either pg up or pg down I won't complain.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline guilleguillaume

I'm sorry to drop out but right now I can't spend that amount of money in adopting legends. Unexpected expenses appeared and I'm part of too many GB for now :smash:

Each legend for 45$ is too much. In the future if I take part of any GB using this legends would gladly add some money as compensation if needed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 May 2012, 17:56:35 by guilleguillaume »

Offline Autolyze

I'm cool with personal checks. I still haven't linked my paypal account to my bank account since I'm paranoid about giving paypal that kind of control. Eventually I think I'm going to set up a separate bank account for use with paypal, but right now I'm trying to stretch that $5k paypal limit out as long as possible.

Offline Jophess

I'm going to have to drop out of this as well. $45 for a squiggle (~) and a tiny line (`) is honestly ridiculous. Sorry.

Offline shawn o

Sounds like this is quickly falling apart. :frusty:

Offline Autolyze

Whoa, I think it was safe to say that from the start this was going to lean more towards the high side of that "$10 to $40 per keycap" figure. I should be up for picking up another legend now that we've got some people bailing out.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: ripster;591930
Legendary Inflation here.  Melissa should see Fed Interest Rates.

To be clear, the $10 per legend thing was always just a rumor that needed confirming, and we were explicit about that from the get-go.  I asked Melissa if they had ever done legend cutting at a volume discount and she said no, not ever, not for anyone.

Quote from: Jophess;591969
I'm going to have to drop out of this as well. $45 for a squiggle (~) and a tiny line (`) is honestly ridiculous. Sorry.

Custom is never cheap.

Offline The_Ed

Quote from: hashbaz;592015
Custom is never cheap.

Unless you do it yourself... It's dremel time! Make a jig!
R.I.P.ster

Offline snowboarder3

Yeah, I already mentioned this but I can't cover full price either, sorry :/.

At the beginning of this, the rumor was $10-20 for alpha keys and probably more for other keys so I grabbed one of what I figured would be the cheaper keys. I can still help with this, but only could cover half of a legend, sorry everyone.

tl;dr 4 back up for adoption. I got $20 on it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
snowboarder3, can you put that 20 toward one of my legends? that would help me out quite a bit

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline snowboarder3

yeah

Offline captain

4 is now an orphan  :~4
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Quote from: mkawa;592163
snowboarder3, can you put that 20 toward one of my legends? that would help me out quite a bit
Quote from: snowboarder3;592375
yeah
This is an excellent idea. It seems that many people are willing to pay ~20 for legends, but maybe $45 is a little much for some. Is there a good way to "split" credit for a key? Every bit helps. Cooperatively paying for a key legend is a good idea, I preceive.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
now that we know the total cost, we could reduce the thing to a single dollar amount and have people pledge money instead of legends