Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 167876 times)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Even though I have no MX board for these runs I will still be buying!

Offline mbc

• -delete-
So how much money has been collected through donations, gh key sales, red cherry caps etc.?
How far are we away from the actual legend costs

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
So how much money has been collected through donations, gh key sales, red cherry caps etc.?
How far are we away from the actual legend costs
It would probably be even more if the extras from the red cherry caps would go on sale  :-X
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Next round of prototypes is finished and should be in the mail to me today.  Here's Melissa's picture:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Is this still being bid on?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Is this still being bid on?

It's kind of in limbo atm.  We have enough from the Red Cherry fundraiser group buy to get most of the legends cut, and it remains to be seen how much we will need to ask of each legend adopter.  I was expecting more prototypes and iteration would be necessary, to be honest, but if these latest prototype keys look as good in person as they do in this photo, I think we can proceed full steam ahead and get the rest of them done in one batch.

There will surely be some adopters that drop out or who are no longer following the forum, so there may still be a chance to sponsor a legend.  As for the set name auction, I have no idea what the status of that is.  Litster?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 October 2012, 12:09:43 by hashbaz »

fartq

just want to drop in and say that these will be made if i have to go to sp and cut them myself ;))

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
It's kind of in limbo atm.

just want to drop in and say that these will be made if i have to go to sp and cut them myself ;) )

To clarify, "limbo" was a poor word choice on my part.  The project itself is not in limbo.  It's going strong and will culminate in the Dolch replica group buy as planned.  What is not clear is the state of the adoption fund drive, i.e., it's not known at this exact moment how many of the adopters are still in and how much we will need to ask of them.

Offline wiredPANDA

Thanks for the update, hash.  Getting excited to see this nearing the goal and that much closer to a Dolch replica set.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
As for the set name auction, I have no idea what the status of that is.  Litster?

At the time, I thought we could get more donation if we auction out the naming rights for the legend set.  Hashbaz has done an awesome job to get a lot more donation from the red Cherry set GB.  So I think we should table the naming rights auction as of now.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Well, if the naming auction is off, we should just name it after me anyway. :D

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
As for the set name auction, I have no idea what the status of that is.  Litster?
What happened to Zombie Dolch?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
The name auction predates the Zombie Dolch thing.  And at any rate, that's just the name of the Dolch replica set, not the legends themselves.

Offline litster

The name auction predates the Zombie Dolch thing.  And at any rate, that's just the name of the Dolch replica set, not the legends themselves.

Hashibazu is correct.  I approve this message.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Oh, you're right. And when you're right, you're right! And you? You're always right!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Are we at now now?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
WHO?! :) ok back on topic. somebody said something about some keycaps?

Offline neeb

So if a legend or font or whatever is the best thing to call it, hasn't already been made (custom or otherwise) by SP, it costs $45 for each new keycap legend? And if a new/custom legend is purchased from and created by SP, that new legend/font is then available to anyone that uses SP for their keycaps, or is it only available to the person who purchased that custom legend?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Only available to the person that purchased it, unless they give explicit permission to others.  And yes, $45 per new legend.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Only available to the person that purchased it, unless they give explicit permission to others.  And yes, $45 per new legend.
Is it per legend, per key? For example, a new M legend is made, it is only for that row profile? To make a modifier or different row profile with the same M, it would be another legend fee?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
I believe a legend for a 1x1 key can be used on any 1x1 profile, but changing key size is a new legend fee

Offline neeb

So who all (from GH) would actually have access to these? You guys aren't having people adopt (pay for) legends and only you have access to the fancy smancy cherry replica legends are you? :(!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
My understanding is that i3oilermaker is correct.  For example, the Cherry replica prototype keys have all been F row, but the produced 1x keys so far have been modifier row.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
So who all (from GH) would actually have access to these? You guys aren't having people adopt (pay for) legends and only you have access to the fancy smancy cherry replica legends are you? :(!

We went over this extensively earlier in the thread. ;)

This is a community project, funded by geekhack (and kbdmania), and the legends will be available for use in group buys for free across all the enthusiast fora.

The only real restriction that the Cherry Steering Committee (litster, hazeluff, and I) are considering is that we don't want the legends exploited to make money.  To that end we are retaining "rights" to the legends with SP as opposed to just telling Melissa to let anyone use them.  Hopefully this won't be an issue wrt group buys.

Offline Zehkul

I believe a legend for a 1x1 key can be used on any 1x1 profile, but changing key size is a new legend fee

Wow, that’s awesome for different layouts! (Especially Neo, Colemak, Dvorak…)

Offline neeb

We went over this extensively earlier in the thread. ;)

This is a community project, funded by geekhack (and kbdmania), and the legends will be available for use in group buys for free across all the enthusiast fora.

The only real restriction that the Cherry Steering Committee (litster, hazeluff, and I) are considering is that we don't want the legends exploited to make money.  To that end we are retaining "rights" to the legends with SP as opposed to just telling Melissa to let anyone use them.  Hopefully this won't be an issue wrt group buys.

Ah I apologize, I came across this thread after it was 28 pages long and I haven't had the chance to go through it yet lol xD

So for fellow geekhackers it would be fine to use these legends in a legitimate group buy but if someone wanted to put out the money to order a bunch of sets, jack up the price, and sell them for profit, they wouldn't be allowed to do that? That sounds fair :) It'll be interesting to see what kind of cool stuff people come up with when these are ready to go :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 October 2012, 14:18:38 by neeb »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
I know I am late in coming to this thread, but if an opportunity exists, I am happy to cover an orphan.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Does one of the 30 pages in this thread contain an image of the keycap set, esp. the modifiers?
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
It's cherry replica!  Just find a picture of cherry doubleshots

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce

If you find the GB for some of the sets, you can see pictures of what the Replica font looks like. I don't have the link on hand, however.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi

If you find the GB for some of the sets, you can see pictures of what the Replica font looks like. I don't have the link on hand, however.

Cheers,

Ouch!

So, to be more specific, I've looked at old Cherry double-shots.  In fact I've owned some, but that was before the advent of the "Windows Key", and most of the images from Google either show a 101-key format or an ugly early-edition Windows key.  So my question really is "what does the Replica super-modifier/Windows Key look like?"

Or even more specifically "The OP says 'Picture below:' but there is no picture. Does anyone know off-hand if there a picture of the modifiers on one of the other 29 pages of the thread?"

So, I am in to adopt an orphan if one exists or crops up.

In addition, I wonder what the super-modifier key looks like, or if it has been considered.  If not, I'd be delighted to sponsor a generic super-modifier key in a matching font for future GB use.

I'll go scan the other pages of the thread.

Apologies if my question antagonized anyone.  It's Saturday here, so I'll go have a coffee and chill out and read the whole thread.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
No one's upset with you sam.  In the past we've done things like diamond symbols or blanks for the winkeys.  There is also an actual Windows logo key too.  Unless we decide on something new we won't need an adopter for the winkeys.

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 October 2012, 10:29:20 by hashbaz »

Offline litster

A few months back, this site was hacked and we lost all the local attachments.  That is why the pictures are gone from most threads before the hack.

The windows key will look like the windows key from previous moogle kit group buys.  I think it will be the standard SP windows logo.  It will be doubleshot. 

Hashbaz will know for sure.

Edit: hash got to it before I did.  :-)
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 October 2012, 10:32:32 by litster »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
No one's upset with you sam.  In the past we've done things like diamond symbols or blanks for the winkeys.  There is also an actual Windows logo key too.  Unless we decide on something new we won't need an adopter for the winkeys.

Thanks!  I was on my second cuppa and up to page 22, which (FYI) is just past the timeframe attachments return.

So hashbaz did confirm "stock SP" for Win and Menu keys on page 8.
And mkawa asked for someone to sponsor a cloverleaf key on page 13.

So, if it is not too late, I would be delighted to sponsor Cherry font legends for "Super" (or "Gene" and "Hack") and "Menu" in text.  Plus adopt an orphan if one has been created.  (I'd also be down with sponsoring Super, Alt and Menu with the icons added in the lower-right, so Windows and Mac users could find them where expected -- I proposed this over on the OCKC thread as well.)

Is it too late?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Nope not too late. We'll know what we need soon.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi

Awesome!  Thanks very much.

Are there orphans and can i pick one?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!

Awesome!  Thanks very much.

Are there orphans and can i pick one?

- Ron | samwisekoi
please let me know whats left after as well, maybe i can adopt a J :)
| Poker MX Red |

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
We don't really know yet what we need.  But I'm sure there will be plenty of slack to pick up.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
New prototypes finally came in today.  Looking at them next to black Cherry keys, there are some definite improvements that could be made.  I'll take proper pics tonight next to both black and white (and Dolch!) keys.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Those are so sexy Hash. I can haz da dölçhë ß3t ñåwh?

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
Definitely the ampersand was way off. Thank goodness for prototypes! Keep up the amazing work hash!

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline agor

Bump.
Any updates?
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
neeeeeed these!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Would there be legends for a lot of the different styles of modifiers out there from Cherry? Down arrows for locks, etc.?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
What's the latest?  I'm excited to start seeing full sets using these!  Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)
« Reply #894 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 06:51:08 »
I'll take proper pics tonight next to both black and white (and Dolch!) keys.

Or tonight!  ;)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
What are the plans for when they are made, what colors will be made first?
I have heard dolch being mentioned, as well as RA, White(greyish) on black and vice verse.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
I hope it would be:

1. Dolch replica
2. Beige replica

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Is any help needed with this? Maybe someone with extra time on their hands able to drum up the adoption costs to get the ball rolling?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
I can help if needed.  I can start gathering an interest check or a group buy for the Beige, Dolch, or that leesofi's set.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
I hope it would be:

1. Dolch replica
2. Beige replica

It should be Dolch, and has always been planned to be that.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers