Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 167641 times)

Offline Game Theory

Yes please.
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
So is this just to make SP add a new font to their collection, or are you actually creating a group buy with a set that is identical to a cherry set?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: MagicMeatball;596067
So is this just to make SP add a new font to their collection, or are you actually creating a group buy with a set that is identical to a cherry set?

SP will not use it without our permission, or allow anyone else to.  This thread is just about pledging money to create the legends.  There will be a Dolch replica group buy in the future that will pick up the slack from the drive and provide an opportunity for prototypes and iteration.

Offline Solanin

Just curious, will we tell them to make it thick for a closer replica comparing to real cherry, or just some wimpy kepcaps?

Offline dirge

Why not ask querkeys to give this a go? Infilled looks nice.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline Zehkul

Quote from: dirge;601181
Why not ask querkeys to give this a go? Infilled looks nice.

This. Their infilling looks so badass, it really surprised me. I think I’ll stay out of pretty much any SP GB from now on… (Except single keys of course)

Offline dirge

Don't they also do multiple colour infilling?  Could mark function layers on the same keys for things like the Dox ergo.

The white on grey may not be 100% accurate on the grey colour, but honestly, I don't think I'd be bothered.  Get the single unit keys from from querkeys and get the rest from SP?

Do querkeys have sprue marks on the bottom? ;)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Can this not just be a big GB?

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Round 5 shipping 2015!
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
So where are we with this?

Offline snowboarder3

QWER keys will be cheaper initial but can't hold a candle to SP pricing for full sets.

Also, double shots >>> infill

Offline Glissant

I'll adopt tilde (~) if it does get orphaned. I know we all want the replica set to become a reality, so a little bit of $ is going towards something for the whole community =D.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
I'd be happy to adopt an Apple alternative (⌘) to the Windows key. I know it wasn't ever in the Cherry set... but it's shame to not have a matching key for Apple folks.

Great idea BTW!

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Maybe some of the financial burden of the legend adoption should be shouldered in the initial Dolch buy?

Offline Djuzuh

There will be if I understood right.

Also, this months Geeckhack keys group buy profit will go into this project.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Excellent, everything helps. I'm assuming proceeds from the auction of the sets naming rights will help tremendously.

Offline noog

i can pitch in for the command key to help out the apple folks as well.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
would you mind pitching in for the standard legend set instead? i think we should prioritize paying for that before we go trying to add legends

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline agor

Well, what about an Adoption "pot" where anyone can donate money to that will exclusively be used for the legends. The rest has to be paid via the group buy. This way we could always see how much money is in the Adoption Pot and calculate the prices for the sets accordingly. Also, people could donate whatever spare money they have, and also multiple times if they want.
But maybe thats what the organizers are already thinking about.
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline noog

Thats sounds good. Give me a bit to get some money aside. Need to pay for some other group buys as well.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: mkawa;601910
would you mind pitching in for the standard legend set instead? i think we should prioritize paying for that before we go trying to add legends

I understand about not adding legends, but to a Mac user, these *are* standard legends vs a Windows and Menu key.  I'd sponsor a ⌘ and Opt key AND add $20 to the pot if they are included in the first batch.

Edit: Woah, I didn't catch the $45 legend cost increase until now... jeeze.  Maybe I wouldn't be in for $110 right now.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 May 2012, 12:57:14 by aggiejy »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: hashbaz;591255
Note that the $45 cost is new SP policy.  Formerly the legends were $25-$45 depending on size and complexity.  I sent Melissa a bunch of the Cherry font SVGs recently and asked her for legend fee quotes and she told me that they are moving to a flat $45 for all legends.  My guess is that the surge in GH group buys has something to do with this. :-/

Also note that besides Paypal limiting and otherwise threatening several group buy organizers' accounts in the last year, the IRS now requires them to report accounts that receive $20K or more through at least 200 transactions.  This has real tax implications for me and others.  It would be great if we could find another way to do large group buys.  Doing the legend fee collection, plus the moogle3 group buy and the Dolch group buy later on will definitely put me over $20K and 200 transactions.

I know it's been mentioned elsewhere in other threads... but seems to me kickstarter would work for things like this.  (And group buys for that matter)  Payment situation would be clear, easier to buy, fulfillment, etc.  Geekhack would still serve as the hub of discussion/interest/etc... but otherwise, what's the problem with it?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
probably the biggest negative with kickstarter now is how big their cut is (10%). at 4000$ for this legend set, that's a very non-trivial amount

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
True.  I guess they still are subject to the $20k/200 transaction IRS requirement as well.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
yes all online payment systems (that we would use anyway) are probably subject to that now

Offline Djuzuh

Can't some of the US members meet up and create an association?

We could then use this association to collect the money.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Did not read through the entire thread, but if possible I'd be interested in adopting what ever keys would be required to make a complete set for a Steelseries 7G (I believe that is bigass enter, small backspace, small | \)
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Quote from: danielucf;603408
Did not read through the entire thread, but if possible I'd be interested in adopting what ever keys would be required to make a complete set for a Steelseries 7G (I believe that is bigass enter, small backspace, small | \)

Those would probably use the same legends as the 'normal' sized keys. GL getting a Steelseries group buy going though.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Quote from: danielucf;603408

key size doesn't matter. we're adopting the legends.

having a kit made for your board will be the problem
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Quote from: demik;603416

EchoEcho
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jcrouse

Is there anything else that needs adopted at this time? I would like to help and don't really care what the legend is.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
You can take over pg dn for me. If I only pay for one I wanna keep pg up.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Quote from: sth;603435
EchoEcho
i said it much cooler tho
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline jcrouse

Quote from: sth;603525
You can take over pg dn for me. If I only pay for one I wanna keep pg up.

And just how do we coordinate that?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
Quote from: demik;603416

Ah ok, I understand now thanks
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Quote from: jcrouse;603534
And just how do we coordinate that?

PM litster I guess.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Yes, I need to get the table updated tomorrow.  We asked iMav if he could help us collect adoption fees, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Offline zirb

Since the price/legend is now $45, I have to drop my F3. Sorry

Offline litster

Sorry for the delay.  The table on the first page has been updated.  number 4 and F3 are open for adoption.

A small update.  We are going to start the group buy in the US/EU as well as in South Korea with our buddies over KBDMania.  that should really help us to get the project going.  to work around some of Paypal's limitation, we may have a few trusted people collecting money the spread the payments out.  Still have to work this out with hashbaz, hazeluff, and our KBDMania buddies.

Also, we are thinking about doing something special for the adopted parents.  Something that is only available to our adopted parents and is not available anyway else or any time in the future.  This is still being planned now and could still fall through.  But want to be transparent to you all.  So don't hate us if it doesn't work out.  We really want to get this going. :-)

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
I could maybe take F3, what do I get if I do?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Quote from: longweight;611388
I could maybe take F3, what do I get if I do?

From Lister's post sounds like maybe something.

I'll take 4

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
I will take F3.

Offline litster

They are all $45. probably plus PP fee later.  I will make those down for you guys.

EDIT: BTW are you getting notification email for GH like 10 minutes late?  It is better than last week, it was like an hour late.  Is it me or does it happen to everyone, too?
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 June 2012, 15:01:01 by litster »

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Thanks :) Do you know how soon the invoices will be going out?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Quote from: litster;611407
They are all $45. probably plus PP fee later.  I will make those down for you guys.

EDIT: BTW are you getting notification email for GH like 10 minutes late?  It is better than last week, it was like an hour late.  Is it me or does it happen to everyone, too?

Yes that is happening to me as well.

Offline WRXChris

Are there any keys still in need of a parent?  I'd be happy to adopt one!

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
I'm sure there are going to be plenty of people bailing when they hear its $45 and not $10-$40

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
But isn't it always $45?

If something better comes up I would like to trade my cap!

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Quote from: longweight;611418
But isn't it always $45?

Yes, but OP indicates $10-$40 which I am assuming most people based their decision to adopt on.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Quote from: longweight;611418
But isn't it always $45?

Yes, it is.  Formerly it was variable depending on complexity, which for us usually meant $35.  There was also a rumor (eventually dispelled by Melissa) that there was a volume discount for new legends at $10 each.