Author Topic: Adopt a Keycap Legend with Cherry Replica Font! (Cherry font, not some other font)  (Read 167683 times)

Offline captain

You will NEVER let that go, will you?  :-P
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
my recollection is that i suggested making it smaller because i have an irrational love of things that are tiny. the rest was just me elaborating on how one might be able to do that, since he asked. (edit: oh was that not meant for me?)

i didn't start making fun of ed until he bristled when people pointed out that no one else wanted f keys that large (HUGE)

anyway ed, i apologize. i was having a bit of fun and nothing else; takes the pain out of grading. but seriously, practically no keyboards have more than 12 f-keys.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
also there's nothing wrong with being a troll. ripster is a troll and look, he's the #1 keyboard expert on the planet. can't be all bad.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Quote from: captain;553287
You will NEVER let that go, will you?  :-P

I am sure, given time, I will move on to pick on someone or something else.  At the moment, you and the_Ed are my favorites.  Seriously, you guys are making the forum more lively and enjoyable.  Something for us to talk about while we wait for more adoption to happen.

Content is what brings people back to a site.  And you guys are the content generators.

When I slip, be sure to pick on me.  I totally deserve it.  Actually I slipped up today, don't know if anyone of you caught it.  :-)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
speaking of adoption, could we make a poker kit with the adoptions we have right now? i think prices would be reasonable if we could hit 25 orders..

edit: oh ****, we're missing 0

blerg.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 March 2012, 02:33:41 by mkawa »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
I love this forum, even the people I dislike. Nobody in this thread so far
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline litster

Quote from: demik;553321
I love this forum, even the people I dislike. Nobody in this thread so far

Now that you mentioned it, we need to see who hasn't posted on this thread yet to deduce who you dislike.  :D

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
:spy: I like everybody! Besides GW. He irks me.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline zirb

Quote from: litster;553326
Now that you mentioned it, we need to see who hasn't posted on this thread yet to deduce who you dislike.  :D

Have fun going through 560 posts :D

Offline captain

That's what Ruby is for!  :-D
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
I finally a caught a breather. I got time to make a few legends tonight. My progress will be on our progress thread:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:28732

= )

2 reports + 1 Demonstration to do!
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline rindorbrot

I'd like to adopt the German Ü if it's not more than 15$

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: rindorbrot;553784
I'd like to adopt the German Ü if it's not more than 15$

It's more.

Offline rindorbrot

how much more?

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: rindorbrot;553788
how much more?

SP doesn't do a volume discount. So the standard fee of $25-35/key

Offline rindorbrot

hmm I guess I can take that. It's for a good cause. So an Ü for me please.
NOW GIVE ME MY BABY!
I'm hungry! ;-)

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Wow... You guys really like to talk about me while I'm sleeping... It's kinda creepy... Though It's been weird for a while now cause I've been finding new threads and there are already people talking about me in them...

My offer still stands to sponsor F24 if F13-F23 are sponsored by other people.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline snowboarder3

Quote from: The_Ed;553863
Wow... You guys really like to talk about me while I'm sleeping... It's kinda creepy... Though It's been weird for a while now cause I've been finding new threads and there are already people talking about me in them...

My offer still stands to sponsor F24 if F13-F23 are sponsored by other people.

not happening, we haven't even been able to get a 10keypad

Offline litster

I will adopt F13-F23 if F25-F36 are sponsored by other people.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Quote from: litster;553952
i will adopt ripster if his ego is adopted by other people.

Offline The_Ed

Quote from: litster;553952

Virtual-Key Codes stop at F24...
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline litster

If the lack availability of a keyboard with F13-F24 keys is not enough to derail the adoption of F13-F24, not having virtual key codes above F24 is certainly not going to stop F25-F36 either!

Offline The_Ed

There are plenty of POS boards with 24 function row keys. But cherry likes to put blank relegendables on black boards and a few white, and PF keys on a good portion of the white ones. I have only seen a few white boards with doubleshot F13-F24 keys.
R.I.P.ster

Offline litster

Sure, most of those POS keyboards are Cherry keyboards.  They already have genuine Cherry keycaps.  So you are saying you want to replace the genuine Cherry keycaps with keycaps that has a Cherry replica font, including F13-F24, and that you expect there will be enough people to adopt these keycap legends and there will be enough people to order F13-F24 keycaps in a keycap group buy?

If not, what scenario are you thinking about that would actually make sense?

Offline The_Ed

That "The Light" keyboard that hazeluff is making is going to have 2 function rows. There aren't any vintage "Black" F13-F24 keys so I will have to use "Beige/Grey" ones from Tarkoon.
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Quote from: The_Ed;554079
That "The Light" keyboard that hazeluff is making is going to have 2 function rows. There aren't any vintage "Black" F13-F24 keys so I will have to use "Beige/Grey" ones from Tarkoon.

I haven't finalized anything on it.

Besides that, I mean you could sponsor them, but barely enough people would ever want the F13-24 keys and start a GB in the future, that it wouldn't be worth time investing in having the legends paid for. I can make them, but it'd just never get used.

Offline The_Ed

Bugger... I'll have to stick to the beige/grey ones.
R.I.P.ster

Offline litster

Sherryton just adopted Numpad 8.   Remaining keys are:

style="width: 188px"
|-
|  style="width: 92px; height: 20px" | 0
|  style="width: 96px" | Numpad -
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | F11
| Numpad /
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | F12
| Numpad 0
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | F3
| Numpad 4
|-
|  style="height: 20px" |
| Numpad 6
|-
| Numpad 9
|-

RColinTaylor is still the high bidder for the naming right.  Do I hear $110?  $105?  $110?  $105?

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
By the way, SP gave us the green light on the legends. Guess who's gonna be a machine!

Offline litster

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.

[video=youtube;3cShYbLkhBc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cShYbLkhBc[/video]

Offline soulfree914

I'll adopt 0.

I've been one of the beneficiaries of the prior Cherry replica fonts (esp. the alt and ctrl, thanks to cycloverid), so donating one legend fee is nothing. :-)
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 March 2012, 21:51:44 by soulfree914 »
A proud member of OTD & GeekHack

Offline litster

soulfree914, you are the proud parent of the number 0!  Congrats!

Keys still available for adoption:
width="188" style="width: 188px"
|-
|  style="width: 92px; height: 20px" | F11
|-
| Numpad /
|-
|  style="height: 20px" | F3
| Numpad 0
|-
| Numpad 4
|-
| Numpad 6
|-
| Numpad 9
|-

Just 3 keys left for tenkeyless, 6 left for the numpad!

Offline zirb

Two is better than one. I'll take F3, too!

Offline litster

Quote from: zirb;558937
Two is better than one. I'll take F3, too!

zirb, you also have F3 now.

Remaining keycap legends:

|-
|-
| Numpad /
|-
| Numpad 0
|-
| Numpad 4
|-
| Numpad 6
|-
| Numpad 9
|-

Offline rindorbrot

I would like to take the Ü from the German layout.

Offline RColinTaylor

We should allow the winner of the auction to create their own ESC key.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline litster

Quote from: RColinTaylor;559490
We should allow the winner of the auction to create their own ESC key.

Could you provide more details how you envision this would work?  I assume it will be an Esc key that is not using the Cherry font we are trying to create?  This could be interesting.

Offline zirb

Quote from: litster;559511
Could you provide more details how you envision this would work?  I assume it will be an Esc key that is not using the Cherry font we are trying to create?  This could be interesting.

What could be possible is that the winner decides a special colour combination for an novelty Esc key.
Of course there would be the normal vintage-grey-Esc but also an additional one in - for example - yellow on purple or whatever the highest bidder decides.

EDIT:
decided to create that combination to see what it looks like (obviously not the right font there..)
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46109[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2012, 14:56:39 by zirb »

Offline akerasi

I wish to adopt F12.
Owns, no particular order:
Ricercar SPOS (Variable Force Mod number 3), 122-key IBM terminal board (future project to learn a Teensy), 1993 IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, 3x Cherry G80-8200LPBUS (2 in pieces, 1 modded to Ghetto Reds), Cherry G80-1190HRMIT(Variable Force Mod), Wang 724 Terminal Keyboard (Pink Alps), Cherry G84-4100, Cherry G81-LUMUS, a pile of random old ALPS Macintosh boards in poor condition.
Wants:
Odd keyswitch boards for cheap (NEC sliders, space invaders, other weird stuff), Cherry Blues for cheap

Offline RColinTaylor

Quote from: litster;559511

Well Okay, lets assume that  it is a basic, full name that is going towards the overall name of the set. If I were to win, with my current bid, the keycap that I would be looking to have as the ESC key would be RCT (or R.C.T.). Vanity, in the end, is the fuel for fires. Now, if someone else were to win, I would say a simple design of their choice could be used as the "official" esc key alternative for the set.

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46148[/ATTACH]

Offline litster

Quote from: rindorbrot;559324
I would like to take the Ü from the German layout.

Done.

Quote from: akerasi;559528
I wish to adopt F12.

And done.

ONLY ONE KEY LEFT for tenkeyless.

ONLY 6 KEYS LEFT for the numpad.

|-
|-
| Numpad /
|-
| Numpad 0
|-
| Numpad 4
|-
| Numpad 6
|-
| Numpad 9
|-

Offline litster

Quote from: zirb;559517
What could be possible is that the winner decides a special colour combination for an novelty Esc key.
Of course there would be the normal vintage-grey-Esc but also an additional one in - for example - yellow on purple or whatever the highest bidder decides.

EDIT:
decided to create that combination to see what it looks like (obviously not the right font there..)
(Attachment Link) 46109[/ATTACH]

Quote from: RColinTaylor;559707
Well Okay, lets assume that  it is a basic, full name that is going towards the overall name of the set. If I were to win, with my current bid, the keycap that I would be looking to have as the ESC key would be RCT (or R.C.T.). Vanity, in the end, is the fuel for fires. Now, if someone else were to win, I would say a simple design of their choice could be used as the "official" esc key alternative for the set.

Interesting idea.  I do see both suggestions as outside the scope of the effort.  It could be done in a separate effort.  

What we are doing here is legends that can be used to make keycaps.  For zirb's suggestion, the legend is already done.  So making keycaps for with a custom color combo of the winning bidder's choice is possible.  The issue is that would be up to the actual group buy organizer to create that keycap.  It definitely could be done, but would be done outside of this adoption drive.

For RCT's suggestion, the fund from the winning bidder can cover the cost to create the special legend.  To actually make keycaps out of this special legend, again, it will be up to a keycap group buy organizer to drive it.  the legend can be cut.  How the keycaps will be made will be outside of this adoption effort.

Does it make sense?  Or have I misread what you two described?

Offline RColinTaylor

For RCT's suggestion, the fund from the winning bidder can cover the cost to create the special legend.  To actually make keycaps out of this special legend, again, it will be up to a keycap group buy organizer to drive it.  the legend can be cut.  How the keycaps will be made will be outside of this adoption effort.

Are you saying that people wouldn't automatically include a keycap representing me in their buy?

Offline zirb

Quote from: litster;559899

It makes sense.
I don't think that too many groupbuy-organizers would include this particular key in their set, but having that special legend available could be fun.

Quote from: RColinTaylor;560103
Are you saying that people wouldn't automatically include a keycap representing me in their buy?

:D

Offline litster

Right.  We can make the legends, make the legends available for group buy organizers to use.  I don't know how to require GB organizers to include the special key caps, and how to require buyers to buy the special keycap that has someone else's name on it.  

But i am one of the ones who don't understand why anyone would buy that KL|\ keycap from round 3.  I wonder how many of those buyers still have that keycap on a keyboard besides KL himself.

However we can call it RCT Cherry Font all day long.  Like we have been calling moogle kits all day long.  :-)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
as long as there's still money for RCT's donation to pay for F11 and two of the remaining numpad keys...

Offline RColinTaylor

Quote from: mkawa;560113
as long as there's still money for RCT's donation to pay for F11 and two of the remaining numpad keys...

Well thanks to the world's most annoying opening bid... I mean come on? $100 opener? ****.

Should be fine... Plus, for those noobies in SC2 who check Help a lot F11 should be a no-brainer.

Offline litster

Come on guys, let's close this.  Let's love ourselves some SP keycaps with Cherry legends!

Offline litster

If this adoption drive effort is successful, we should have you run a Helvetica legend adoption drive.  And we will all come tell you how Comic Sans is better!  :-)