Author Topic: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread  (Read 339841 times)

Offline Atakp

Re: GeekHack: Pistol and Rifle - General Discussion and Picture Thread
« Reply #1150 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 00:55:19 »
Not at all. I got a tier 1 g17. I didn't spring for the match barrel because I put a higher emphasis on reliability rather than the bit of accuracy from a tighter lock up. I did get the flat faced trigger, had them remove the finger grooves, and add one of their new magwells. It comes standard with the fiber optic front and blacked out rear sight.
Wait time was short. The day I called we discussed everything and he asked me to hold for a minute. When he came back he said they just built a tier one 17 and it was mine if I wanted it. Knowing the wait times already I took it. They put in a work order for the extra stuff I wanted and it shipped a day later

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1151 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:07:40 »
Not at all. I got a tier 1 g17. I didn't spring for the match barrel because I put a higher emphasis on reliability rather than the bit of accuracy from a tighter lock up. I did get the flat faced trigger, had them remove the finger grooves, and add one of their new magwells. It comes standard with the fiber optic front and blacked out rear sight.
Wait time was short. The day I called we discussed everything and he asked me to hold for a minute. When he came back he said they just built a tier one 17 and it was mine if I wanted it. Knowing the wait times already I took it. They put in a work order for the extra stuff I wanted and it shipped a day later

Great Luck.... hoping to do the same thing and getting one when they have one in stock already. I have the flat face trigger on my G19 and love it.

Probably gonna get the match grade barrel ( but your probably right about it probably being overkill) but I figure what the hell ... probably going to get an RMR for it also.

I have a friend who has bunch of salients... can be finicky but once tuned right it is reliable.... Definitely love hear your experience when you get it.
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1152 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:15:25 »
I'll be sure to keep you updated once it comes in. I'll be able to compare it side by side with the zev which I'm excited about as well.

I gave some serious thought to an rmr but decided against it. There's always a next time and I'm still very interested in running one. A part of me wanted to save my optic fund for a cz open gun. That's pretty much the only reason I didn't on the salient.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1153 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 01:26:11 »
I'll be sure to keep you updated once it comes in. I'll be able to compare it side by side with the zev which I'm excited about as well.

I gave some serious thought to an rmr but decided against it. There's always a next time and I'm still very interested in running one. A part of me wanted to save my optic fund for a cz open gun. That's pretty much the only reason I didn't on the salient.

Thanks .....

While you wait .... A lot of salient pr0n on friends brother instagram page .... They don't baby them either , high round count salients which they take to a lot training classes also...

http://instagram.com/gun_craft

Also good place if you want a custom holster ...

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1154 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:45:01 »
Thanks for the link. After looking through some of the pics I'm pretty sure I've seen some of his videos on YouTube.  I like the looks of glocks that have been used and abused. Has much more character.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1155 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 10:48:17 »
after this weekend I am really wanting to pick up a Saiga 12 gauge

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
« Reply #1156 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 11:05:55 »
All these weapons shouldn’t find their way into civilian’s hands. Not because you and I coudn’t handle it, but because 1 out of 100 can’t handle it. Consider this for a moment please.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1157 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 11:10:24 »
All these weapons shouldn’t find their way into civilian’s hands. Not because you and I coudn’t handle it, but because 1 out of 100 can’t handle it. Consider this for a moment please.

so you're saying that nobody should be able to own a firearm because 0.001% of gun owners have used them with ill intentions?

I'll keep my 1911 on my waist and it will stay there unless Im at the range or unless the need arises that my life is in danger

Offline Blackehart

• Booty Aficionado Extraordinaire
« Reply #1158 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:41:49 »
Pardon the potato!

9mm p229 stock except alum grips
45acp usp compact  slide, barrel and internal in np3
308 socomII new stock

DON'T LOOK AT THE MAGAZINE ON THE RIFLE...-_-
Neutered cause California.

Kmac powder coated Illusion Purple

still hunting for that special gun to call:
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:58:55 by Blackehart »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #1159 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 19:35:48 »
^
You need a Filco Camo to go along with that.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1160 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 22:30:36 »

Nice collection and I feel your pain on the magazine ... fellow Californian here ...  :(

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #1161 on: Fri, 05 September 2014, 12:58:56 »

Nice collection and I feel your pain on the magazine ... fellow Californian here ...  :(
10+1 is all anyone will ever need! /s 

CA has so many lame rules, shame the weather here is so amazing...
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1162 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 02:33:16 »
So good sir Atakp was a freaking SAINT and sent me these grips at the cost of shipping. I can't thank him enough for his absolutely kind gesture. Just from the change of grips, the gun feels like a totally new gun, and feels 10 times more refined and expensive!!! The cold and flat aluminum and sharp grip tape feel so damn good in the hand compared to the fat rubber.

My mind is blown at how much better these grips fit my small hands compared to the fat rubber ones. I can now comfortably hold the gun secure in one hand (fingers can finally reach the other side of the handle lol!!!). Before, I couldn't pull the double action trigger comfortably with one hand unless I had both hands on the grip, but now it's a breeze and feels snug-n-perfect in one hand. The gun points naturally in one hand too, with the back of my palm finally resting on the back of the handle (almost like a 1911!!!). Of course, I always aim to shoot with both hands, but I always felt I should be able to shoot with one hand comfortably if the situation requires me. With these thin grips, the double action pull no longer feels like it's a stretch to reach, and now feels much more natural and easier. Even after a lil' dry firing, I could tell I was already having a much smoother double action pull and therefore less movement in the sights. Not only this, but it'll be much easier to conceal carry IWB. It really is the perfect addition to my pistol. I couldn't be more satisfied.

Thank you again so much, Atakp <3 You are so damn awesome!!! I'll be sure to cherish these, and will stay on this baby for as long as it exists! They shall be fondled every night at the desk, and resting on my back when I'm out :))

Now, I just need to get me to the range and test these grips while shooting... my gun hasn't tasted gun powder in awhile  :'(

Silly pics :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 September 2014, 02:35:17 by VesperSAINT »

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1163 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 02:41:43 »
^^ I felt the same when I handled my accu shadow with them on.

I liked the rubber grips on my SP-01 but the metal grips fit my hands even better ...

Also props to ATakp for such a kind gesture ....

ATakp feel free to send me your protek ... I'll be more than happy to pay shipping :p

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1164 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 02:59:38 »
Yeah, mang... it just feels so much more natural in my hands. The rubber grips are definitely ergonomic in how they mold into the palm of your hands, but having small hands, the thin dimensions ultimately made these better for me.

All the props to Atakp for his generosity. I can't thank him enough. He fulfilled a wish of mine which had been on the list for over 2 years...

LOL on the protek comment. Always has been my dream pistol. I wish I could remove the chamber indicator on my PCR and have it smoothened down... oh wait, that would practically be the protek... :)) :)) :))
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 September 2014, 03:05:04 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #1165 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 03:24:45 »
Hmm. As a Dutch person I have never seen or held an actual gun. I think the idea is kind of scary. Am I allowed to say that?

Though I will say, that maybe shooting targets at a gun range would be fun. I have done something similar with bows and loved it. Though there is something about guns that scares me. Probably knowing you are holding something that is very lethal.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 September 2014, 03:26:28 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1166 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 03:29:49 »
Hmm. As a Dutch person I have never seen or held an actual gun. I think the idea is kind of scary. Am I allowed to say that?

Though I will say, that maybe shooting targets at a gun range would be fun. I have done something similar with bows and loved it. Though there is something about guns that scares me. Probably knowing you are holding something that is very lethal.

The idea being kind of scared is perfectly normal, and you're allowed to say that :))

The concept is pretty much the same as a bow. Do you ever hold a knife or use one in the kitchen? I'd say it's pretty much the same :P The only difference is you have to check the weapon every time you pick it up, and make sure you're always aiming in a safe direction and keeping your finger off the trigger until you're ready to pull.

It's all about common sense, safety, and discipline, which I think applies to most things in life :)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #1167 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 03:36:35 »

The idea being kind of scared is perfectly normal, and you're allowed to say that :))

The concept is pretty much the same as a bow. Do you ever hold a knife or use one in the kitchen? I'd say it's pretty much the same :P The only difference is you have to check the weapon every time you pick it up, and make sure you're always aiming in a safe direction and keeping your finger off the trigger until you're ready to pull.

It's all about common sense, safety, and discipline, which I think applies to most things in life :)

Haha true. I do think that I have a healthy dose of common sense. But when it comes to paying mind to safety and discipline... let's just say that I have been known to lack both at times. Maybe I should stay away from guns  :-X
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1168 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 03:37:50 »
Was bored :P Pleb (compared to you guys) gun incoming.

Show Image

More pics here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33569.msg1455926#msg1455926

Nice .... that pics has 3 of my favorites... CZ, Click Clack and nice Realforce Keyboard.... winner pic there  :thumb:

Oooo, I never saw these posts until now because the site wouldn't fully load this page for the longest time :(

CZ, CC, and Realforce... what could be better :P

That CZ never gets old, you guys are starting to make me want one!

Do eet. Get one. I dare you.

Haha true. I do think that I have a healthy dose of common sense. But when it comes to paying mind to safety and discipline... let's just say that I have been known to lack both at times. Maybe I should stay away from guns  :-X

Nah, mang. If you think that, you should stay away from the kitchen, cars, tools, etc. :P  You would be fine. All you need is someone to hands-on teach you, and the rest is rinse and repeat :) Good habits can save you.

I'm really not qualified to lecture or teach tho :))
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 September 2014, 03:41:50 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1169 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 12:12:02 »
Glad you like the grips... They really do change the way the pistol feels. They look great on your pcr as well,  it looks refreshed.

Oh and jpm... You can have my protek but you'd have to come pry it off my hip first Haha

Offline divito

« Reply #1170 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 15:20:31 »
This thread has me considering grabbing a license and some guns. My girlfriend has a license and rifle due to her dad owning a lot of hunting rifles and such. Although, I'm more interested in acquiring pistols.

There is actually a range a bit south of me that allows unlicensed people to come and try out a large selection of guns.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1171 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 21:52:23 »
Glad you like the grips... They really do change the way the pistol feels.

This is so true. When I purchased my 1911 it had some CHAPPY wooden "grips" that were quite smooth and had little to no texture thus causing entirely too much recoil. I purchased a set of VZ Operator II's and they are GREAT! It no longer wants to kick out of my hands ... it also looks a TON better :P

Offline SlotH42

• one slow step for sloth
« Reply #1172 on: Sun, 07 September 2014, 23:21:01 »
This thread has me considering grabbing a license and some guns. My girlfriend has a license and rifle due to her dad owning a lot of hunting rifles and such. Although, I'm more interested in acquiring pistols.

There is actually a range a bit south of me that allows unlicensed people to come and try out a large selection of guns.

Go to the range and get comfortable with something first, I would suggest starting off with a 9mm maybe a glock or S&W. Just get used to handling a handgun ;), Take a couple of classes, then make the plunge. The firearm addiction can reeeeeeaally blow the wallet away.  ;D makes the mechanical keyboard market look like a gumball machine lol.
MP-GBL4 (red) Poker II (clears) Realforce R2TL 55g

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #1173 on: Mon, 08 September 2014, 11:45:22 »

Go to the range and get comfortable with something first, I would suggest starting off with a 9mm maybe a glock or S&W. Just get used to handling a handgun ;), Take a couple of classes, then make the plunge. The firearm addiction can reeeeeeaally blow the wallet away.  ;D makes the mechanical keyboard market look like a gumball machine lol.
Yep. Gun prices start where keyboard prices end (unless you like **** like the G80-5000, or you exclusively buy hi-points)
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1174 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 01:32:25 »
So as promised here's a few quick pics of the new gun I picked up on Tuesday. Haven't shot it yet but I've been doing tons of dry fire since I've been shooting hammered fired pistols the most recently and I want to re-acclimate myself to a striker. The trigger on this makes it easy, and feels amazing. It has a little bit of take up for the safety plunger and has a nice, clean, solid break. Really liking the flat faced trigger and magwell. Transitions seem very fast. It fits my hand well...I know some people struggle going back and fourth between a gun with a traditional grip angle and the glock grip angle, but after the first 30 mins it points naturally and feels like an extension of my hand.

I have to shoot it to form a final opinion but I'm really impressed with it thus far

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1175 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 01:36:53 »
^^^ god I hate you right now hahahahaha

I'm usually not a fan of glock gen 3's but after a good stipple job, it just feels right.

Love the new mag funnel, I've been thinking of getting one for my g19

Can't wait to hear your range report ... Also I love the flat face trigger.

Do you know the pull on it now ? Also what recoil spring and firing pin sprin g you running?

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1176 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 01:59:43 »
Ya I couldn't believe how good it feels in my hand. Rekindled a warm fuzzy feeling for Glock.

The trigger pull is in the neighborhood of 2.5 lbs. I believe its a 3.5 connector and a 4.5 striker spring. Recoil spring is 13 lbs in the gun. They also included a 15 lbs recoil spring along with the stock parts in the case.

edit to fix my numbers...its late ha
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 September 2014, 02:07:18 by Atakp »

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1177 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 02:07:51 »
Ya I couldn't believe how good it feels in my hand. Rekindled a warm fuzzy feeling for Glock.

The trigger pull is in the neighborhood of 2.5 lbs. Salient included a new 3.5 and 4.5 striker spring and also a 13 and 15 lbs recoil spring.

Wow that's light .... Mines set at 3.5# no pre travel.... Right at the wall with some takeup and then the break. Previous owner  set it up as a carry gun so he used stock striker spring and I use stock recoil spring...

But for comp gun that is probably gonna be fun to tune ...

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1178 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 02:12:11 »
I edited my last post...got some of the numbers confused. It's a reduced power striker spring which I think is 4 or 4.5 lbs.

When I ordered it I told them I run the atlanta arms & ammo 147 loads, but also want to reliably run full power ammo as well. They threw in a bunch of extra springs so I can tune it to my liking.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 September 2014, 02:14:21 by Atakp »

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1179 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 02:15:40 »
Those light recoil springs are something I do want to try.... Those tier ones with that setup looks to cycle so quick along with the lightened slide...

My friend actually prefers tier 2 slides for the added weight with tier 1 trigger and internals ...

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1180 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 02:19:51 »
Ya it does look like it cycles fast and flat in all the videos I've seen. I'm going to try it as is with both factory ammo and the reduced power Atlanta stuff and go from there.

I wouldn't go any lower than 13 lbs recoil spring, I've heard a lot of people having some problems with the 11

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1181 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 11:44:58 »
Any of you guys have the issue where you prefer to shoot rifles for plinking but are right handed and left eye dominant or vice versa?

I have that issue, which was probably 95% of my issues with trap shooting in high school.  The best I could accomplish was ~30/50 with shooting a Charles Daly over under.  My brother could hit 45+/50 using a Beretta 390AL.  Dad wouldn't let me shoot the A5 due to that gun having a solid rib. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1182 on: Thu, 25 September 2014, 14:31:02 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:00:14 by aggiejy »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1183 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 18:52:06 »
High Speed Footage of what it looks like when you get a Garand-Thumb (not by me)

Thought some of you would enjoy this: http://imgur.com/gallery/BLIlJ

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1184 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 02:48:33 »
High Speed Footage of what it looks like when you get a Garand-Thumb (not by me)

Thought some of you would enjoy this: http://imgur.com/gallery/BLIlJ

Show Image

^^ that does not look good at all  :-[

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1185 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 02:52:22 »
 In continuation of my 1911 stretch this year, finally picked up the 1911 I will be buried with  :p

Wilson Combat CQB - ( Baron Blue Slide and CCH ( cold case hardened) frame )

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1186 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 03:02:53 »

You win everything.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1187 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 03:06:29 »
Show Image

You win everything.

Hahahahahaa .... Unfortunately my winning = wallet losing  :p

A lot of ramen will be eaten for the rest of the year...

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1188 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 03:06:35 »
So as promised here's a few quick pics of the new gun I picked up on Tuesday. Haven't shot it yet but I've been doing tons of dry fire since I've been shooting hammered fired pistols the most recently and I want to re-acclimate myself to a striker. The trigger on this makes it easy, and feels amazing. It has a little bit of take up for the safety plunger and has a nice, clean, solid break. Really liking the flat faced trigger and magwell. Transitions seem very fast. It fits my hand well...I know some people struggle going back and fourth between a gun with a traditional grip angle and the glock grip angle, but after the first 30 mins it points naturally and feels like an extension of my hand.

I have to shoot it to form a final opinion but I'm really impressed with it thus far

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

How the heck did I miss this--that is awesome! They are too expensive for me, but excellent guns no doubt. Does the magwell make a big difference for you? I love my Zev magwell on my 17L and want something similar, but not quite as bulky for my 17 and it looks like the Salient magwell is just that.

In continuation of my 1911 stretch this year, finally picked up the 1911 I will be buried with  :p

Show Image

Show Image

You've been getting so much new stuff lately, I'm jealous  :p

That case hardening is beautiful. Legitimately one of the best looking 1911s I've ever seen.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #1189 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 03:10:23 »
Hahahahahaa .... Unfortunately my winning = wallet losing  :p

A lot of ramen will be eaten for the rest of the year...

It could be worse... like me... no new guns... wallet is always at war... ramen still every 3 days :))

I'm with ComradeSniper~ Seriously one of the most beautiful 1911's I've ever seen.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1190 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 03:12:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

How the heck did I miss this--that is awesome! They are too expensive for me, but excellent guns no doubt. Does the magwell make a big difference for you? I love my Zev magwell on my 17L and want something similar, but not quite as bulky for my 17 and it looks like the Salient magwell is just that.

Show Image

Show Image

You've been getting so much new stuff lately, I'm jealous  :p

That case hardening is beautiful. Legitimately one of the best looking 1911s I've ever seen.

Thanks CS and VS ....

As far as your SAI magwell question.... It's not so much a magwell like a zev since its slimmer profile but mini guide .... Looked over a friends one and it was a nice piece . I liked the slimmer minimalist design of it but adding some function.... Probably pick up one for g19 eventually.

aKtap can probably chime in with a better review.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1191 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 03:57:48 »

Thanks CS and VS ....

As far as your SAI magwell question.... It's not so much a magwell like a zev since its slimmer profile but mini guide .... Looked over a friends one and it was a nice piece . I liked the slimmer minimalist design of it but adding some function.... Probably pick up one for g19 eventually.

aKtap can probably chime in with a better review.

Hmm, interesting. I guess you just can't have the best of both worlds when it comes to magwells. It does sound helpful, still.

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1192 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 14:47:25 »
Before I start... Jpm that is a glorious 1911.

As far as the SAI magwell/guide or whatever it is I don't think it compares to a full size magwell. The full sized  ones I've used seem to just suck the mag out of your hand into place. Minimal thought required. However this SAI version does perfectly in this application and does it well. It gives me a warm fuzzy positive feeling with mag changes at speed. You have to be a bit more aware of your technique, but for what it is... It's perfect. Slim, minimalist, plugs the rear cavity in the grip, and for tactical type shooting it's great. Wouldn't catch me with it in a full blown competition though.

I've put around 500 rounds down range with the 17 so far. A mix of full power and reduced power competition loads. It's been great thus far. Feeds and ignites everything as it should and groups tight for me.

I might be in the minority but I prefer a gen 3 to a gen 4. They feel different to me but that's purely a preference. With a proper grip it does stay flat and the minimal movement of the front sight makes tracking it easy. Follow up shots come fast. The flat trigger is a huge two thumbs up. I love everything about it. The trigger itself is excellent for a striker gun.

I shot it side by side with a zev 17 and a vp9. The zev and the salient are built with a different purpose and they both do well in their respective roles. I like the trigger action combined with the flat trigger on the salient better. The zev owner said he likes the fit and finish on the salient better than the zev. Mostly subjective stuff after that. The price of the salient is a drawback for sure, but at the same time I'm considering sending them a 19 to be built as well. Maybe next year.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1193 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 16:03:09 »

As far as the SAI magwell/guide or whatever it is I don't think it compares to a full size magwell. The full sized  ones I've used seem to just suck the mag out of your hand into place. Minimal thought required. However this SAI version does perfectly in this application and does it well. It gives me a warm fuzzy positive feeling with mag changes at speed. You have to be a bit more aware of your technique, but for what it is... It's perfect. Slim, minimalist, plugs the rear cavity in the grip, and for tactical type shooting it's great. Wouldn't catch me with it in a full blown competition though.

I've put around 500 rounds down range with the 17 so far. A mix of full power and reduced power competition loads. It's been great thus far. Feeds and ignites everything as it should and groups tight for me.

I might be in the minority but I prefer a gen 3 to a gen 4. They feel different to me but that's purely a preference. With a proper grip it does stay flat and the minimal movement of the front sight makes tracking it easy. Follow up shots come fast. The flat trigger is a huge two thumbs up. I love everything about it. The trigger itself is excellent for a striker gun.

I shot it side by side with a zev 17 and a vp9. The zev and the salient are built with a different purpose and they both do well in their respective roles. I like the trigger action combined with the flat trigger on the salient better. The zev owner said he likes the fit and finish on the salient better than the zev. Mostly subjective stuff after that. The price of the salient is a drawback for sure, but at the same time I'm considering sending them a 19 to be built as well. Maybe next year.

Ok, sounds like a good balance then. I agree, a full sized magwell is pretty much cheating, I don't even have to index the magazine. I noticed when shooting my 17 yesterday with no magwell or guide how sloppy my technique has gotten after getting used to a magwell :))

Good to hear that you're liking the salient. Despite my griping about the price I still want one a lot  :p

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1194 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 16:18:33 »

Thanks Atakp for the review... similar reviews from my friend on his salient. Confirms my wants to own one next year.

I am waiting on them to move to their new facilities in Vegas so I don't have to pay taxes on their services since they are in California right now.. hahaha

I was tempted last month where they were running that sale of $50 off add on for every $500 dollar spent.... that sale would have paid for some of the upgrades I wanted for sure. But as I was going to put my order in that day I found another nice Nighthawk 9mm which I must have and decided to put off this purchase til next year.

On a side note, I was able to handle my friends SAI 1911 single stack 9mm commander and boy was that thing a beauty ... he was also getting SVI 9mm which I was drooling over also.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1195 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 02:17:00 »
New Pistol Friday / Saturday:

CZ Accu Shadow BLK

Love this bushing and match fit barrel combo

First Nighthawk ....

Nighthawk Enforcer Recon (blacked out)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #1196 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 22:43:56 »
JPM, what's your home address? I'll come by to visit you sometimes (when you're not home)  :p
Keyboardless

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #1197 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 22:45:59 »
New Pistol Friday / Saturday:

CZ Accu Shadow BLK

Show Image

Love this bushing and match fit barrel combo

Show Image

First Nighthawk ....

Nighthawk Enforcer Recon (blacked out)

Show Image

OMGosh!!! I've been drooling over Nighthawk's 1911's for a long time. I'm sure you are beyond happy with it.

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #1198 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 23:02:08 »
I thought these pics were kewl... If your a shooter you kinda know who they are trying to parody  :p

Offline Atakp

« Reply #1199 on: Tue, 16 December 2014, 23:14:03 »
Haha good pics....I like Haley.

Been a while since anyone posted here. I don't have anything new and exciting ...yet.