Author Topic: Mechanical keyboard space bar  (Read 5792 times)

Offline variant

Mechanical keyboard space bar
« on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:22:45 »
One of the problems I had with the CM Storm Trigger was my thumb when using WASD or ESDF would hit the very edge of the space bar and would become sore with long gaming hours. Also since it was hitting the edge, it reduce my ability to actuate the key. So when jump is bound there, I couldn't time my jump accurately. Is this an issue with all mechanical keyboard space bars or solely the Trigger?

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:27:20 »
I suggest you to move your thumb.

Offline variant

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:36:51 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;622268
I suggest you to move your thumb.

Impossible and still use WASD. My fingers are long and I could barely actuate the spacebar as it is. The edge of the space bar hit above my knuckle. I would have to physically move my hand up which would make the WASD and other keys harder to hit not to mention cause pain through my wrist from the weird angle.

Every keyboard I've used prior to this always had a slight curvature on the space bar that gave it a tilt towards me whereas the mechanical space bar seems thin and straight, and combined with the unlevel keys and the height of the space bar from where my hand sat, made it seem like it was actually tilted away from me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:43:54 by variant »

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:58:05 »
Wait, you use your thumb to press on D?

I just do everything with my other fingers, and leave my thumb on space.

Offline variant

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 03:00:17 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;622288
Wait, you use your thumb to press on D?

I just do everything with my other fingers, and leave my thumb on space.

No. I use my index finger. I am saying that I my fingers are long and to press keys comfortably, my thumb ends up on the edge of the space bar. I should have specified that it is above my 2nd knuckle.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 June 2012, 03:10:42 by variant »

Offline stingrae

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 03:09:30 »
Quote from: variant;622290
No. I use my index finger. I am saying that I my fingers are long and to press keys comfortably, my thumb ends up on the edge of the space bar.

Really need a picture, can't quite imagine your issue...

How big are your hands? :| I have to straighten out my fingers in order to not be able to hit the spacebar with my thumb...Then again I have pathetic non-manly hands...
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 03:10:30 »
Quote from: stingrae;622292
Really need a picture, can't quite imagine your issue...

How big are your hands? :| I have to straighten out my fingers in order to not be able to hit the spacebar with my thumb...

Agreed, I can't imagine how you end up on the edge of the space bar.

Offline Lanx

Re: Mechanical keyboard space bar
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 05:17:14 »
flip the space key 180, if however your spacebar is offcenter of the switch, i might not work (unless your space already has the extra pre drilled holes) i'd show you what i mean by linking to the mod section, but it isn't there yet, just flip the bar, 50/50 chance it'll work and if it does, you'll prolly like it more.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 18:09:12 »
flip the space key 180, if however your spacebar is offcenter of the switch, i might not work (unless your space already has the extra pre drilled holes) i'd show you what i mean by linking to the mod section, but it isn't there yet, just flip the bar, 50/50 chance it'll work and if it does, you'll prolly like it more.
I flipped my SP spacebars over, and am very happy with the results. This worked on my CMstorm QF rapid, so it should also work with WASD, filco, etc.

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 14:26:53 »
Yo quiero uno con luz

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 14:34:41 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 14:53:33 »
The Trigger has a symmetrical spacebar, so it can be flipped. Just pull it off, flip it around and press it on again. Gives a better angle for the thumb to rest on without hitting the edges.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 14:54:55 »
The Trigger has a symmetrical spacebar, so it can be flipped. Just pull it off, flip it around and press it on again. Gives a better angle for the thumb to rest on without hitting the edges.

on: Tue, 26 June 2012

:)) :)) :))

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 15:01:43 »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.