Author Topic: OK, PC Blew Up, Need Build Advice  (Read 22257 times)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
OK, PC Blew Up, Need Build Advice
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 11:40:47 »
Quote from: chimera15;289680
I don't think it's been 4 years either, maybe news of it.  I believe it was late 2008, or early 2009 when they were first available.  That's only about 2 years.

I did a search before I posted that, and it did come out in 2007. I remember LGA775 boards with DDR3 long before the Core i7 came out. Again, making sure you are right before making claims is always a good idea.

I'm not defending the guy, obviously he's on the back curve of knowledge. It's just a matter of your gloating that people who know nothing shouldn't act like they do. The fact of the matter is that he probably did know more than the person he was helping, and you come along and are on the upper end of the curve and think he's an idiot, when it's just a matter of relativity.

The issue here, if you bothered reading anything I said, was that it's all well and good until you start wasting people's money on stuff that doesn't work. A computer that doesn't turn on is not a 'matter of relativity'.

I do agree though, if you DONT know, dont offer advice. Problem is, a lot of people THINK they know. Why is that? I think maybe it's just becoming more and more difficult for younger generation to know ... what they know, because they rely heavily on the internet for facts, but haven't learned the value in VERIFICATION of facts. One guy says something stupid and it's immediately imprinted in another persons head as fact. I dunno, could be off base there, but when I read OCN, that's what I think of. S/N ratio is retardedly bad there.

The problem is the ability to know when you don't know something, which is something you learn from experience, usually bad ones. When recommending something, I'll usually do a quick look around the internet to make sure I know what I'm on about, unless I've done the thing before myself.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 February 2011, 11:46:17 by ch_123 »

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #151 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 11:43:58 »
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #152 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 12:15:19 »
Quote from: ripster;289781
GOOD Lego builds require creativity.  Something you seem to lack.

I'd insult you back, but I can't think of anything to say ...
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 12:27:37 »
Quote from: ripster;289793
You could post this again.

Im pretty unoriginal, so do you mind if I quote you?

Quote from: ripster;289793

An Important Announcement regarding Intel(r) Series 6 Chipsets

Intel has recently identified an issue with their 6 series chipsets,
which are used with all their 2nd generation Core processors
(code-named Sandy Bridge). This is a potentially serious issue, but it
should not affect your data, just your system's performance. Intel believes
that consumers can continue to use their systems with confidence, while
working with their computer manufacturer for a permanent solution.

However, some users may see degradation in the performance of SATA
devices attached to the system, whether internal or external (such as hard
drives and DVD drives). Intel is not aware of any end-user who has seen this
issue yet, but they expect it to affect a significant percentage of users
eventually, and to worsen over a three year period.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 12:35:53 »
You are right about the creative part though:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 20:22:24 »
Quote from: instantkamera;289775
I mean, is it that difficult to check?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SDRAM#Market_penetration

It actually is.   I did do a search for triple channel memory, and only got this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-channel_architecture

Also I couldn't find any launch dates on actual ddr3 memory earlier than late 2009.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 21:04:34 »
DDR3 + SSD = crazy delicious.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #157 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 21:28:33 »
Cases. The CM 690 II is far superior to the original, and is a very good case and a good value.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline NAVIWORLDINC

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 22:12:59 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;290091
Cases. The CM 690 II is far superior to the original, and is a very good case and a good value.

Lancool K62 is another great and fair option.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 04 February 2011, 22:46:53 »
to recap:

Quote from: ch_123;289051
I spent a worryingly long amount of time explaining to the former that DDR3 was not inherently triple channel...

Quote from: ch_123;289669
And DDR3 has been out for about four years now. Get with the program, bro.

Quote from: chimera15;289680
I don't think it's been 4 years either, maybe news of it.  I believe it was late 2008, or early 2009 when they were first available.  That's only about 2 years.

Quote from: instantkamera;289775
I mean, is it that difficult to check?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR3_SD...et_penetration

Quote from: chimera15;290065
It actually is.   I did do a search for triple channel memory, and only got this...

Quote from: ch_123;289051
Why do people who know absolutely nothing about computers pretend to do so?

Offline godly_music

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 01:00:55 »
Sweet looking case. Would be perfect if the holes were narrower, like a net. To stop the dust from being sucked in. It just collects neatly at the front of my case and can be wiped off.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 03:18:42 »
Quote from: ripster;288860
Hmm... better take some measurements..
Show Image

Anybody have any other suggestions?

I just have a quick question about that mobo...
What's up with the six RAM slots? Wouldn't eight be more appropriate?
It reminds me of my computer with its three RAM slots. I've always preferred computers to have two or four (or even eight)... rather than three or six...

Quote from: godly_music;290144
Sweet looking case. Would be perfect if the holes were narrower, like a net. To stop the dust from being sucked in. It just collects neatly at the front of my case and can be wiped off.

Smaller holes restrict air flow; you'd be surprised at how much.
I like the IBM "honeycomb" vents the best.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline chimera15

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 08:25:26 »
Quote from: instantkamera;290114
to recap:

Please, even the article you pointed to stated that almost no one was using ddr3 till 2009.  Most companies weren't even producing ddr3 until 2009 either.   It's not like that was common information.   I know that ddr3 was incredibly pricey and not competitive with ddr2 until recently either, so it made no sense to build a ddr3 775 system unless you had a ton of money to spend for very little system performance increase.

As we've been discussing ddr3 isn't the same as triple channel either, and as stated just because a system accepts ddr3 doesn't mean it's triple channel necessarily.

I believe as ddr3 was used in graphics cards for many years, in a configuration that I doubt would be the same as triple channel.  

There are a ton of ddr3 775 boards, but are they triple channel?

I'll clarify my original statement to say that use of triple channel is relatively recent if it'll make you happy.   My original statement didn't say if I was talking about ddr3, or triple channel.  In fact it was CH that tried to claim ddr3 is the same as triple channel, to discredit my statement, unfairly.  
They're two separate things.  The conversation CH had that I was commenting about him acting all superior for no reason was about triple channel function, not really ddr3.

Even 4 years is recent for ddr3, but the common use of triple channel and affordable ddr3 in system builds has been shorter than 2 years.

In fact as I believe has already been stated in this thread only 1366, have triple channel I believe?  Do 1156? Here's a guy that says that only i7 systems have triple channel as well, which would make my statement completely correct, and CH wrong on the very fact that he was complaining about and trying to explain to this dolt by bringing up ddr3 when the conversation really has nothing to do with it:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/19245-triple-channel-kits-lg775.html

The fact that you're just trying to defend CH's insulting others by insulting me just shows what kind of person you are as well Instant.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 February 2011, 09:07:55 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 09:40:46 »
Quote from: chimera15;290226
As we've been discussing ddr3 isn't the same as triple channel either, and as stated just because a system accepts ddr3 doesn't mean it's triple channel necessarily.

I KNOW. That was my point, but I guess you can't read. CH claimed that DDR3 was out in 2007, you claimed not to be able to find anything on the subject after doing a search for TRIPLE CHANNEL.

The fact that you're just trying to defend CH's insulting others by insulting me just shows what kind of person you are as well Instant.

Im defending two things, that DD3 is not the same as TC (which we all see to agree on now) and the fact that DDR3 was around in 2007, a fact I easily confirmed by NOT googling for TRIPLE CHANNEL.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #164 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 09:55:19 »
I am using a SSD drive (32G OCZ) as a system drive. I am running linux though.
One of the things I was reading about SSD was that you want to minimize the amount of writes. Something about SSD drives wearing out over time. The biggest culprit in linux is the /var/log folder. One solution, and the one that I am using is to make a ram disk for the log files.

Here is a section from my fstab file:
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,mode=1777,noatime,size=1024m 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults,mode=1777,noatime,size=512m 0 0
tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults,mode=0755,noatime,size=512m 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/fastdrive tmpfs defaults,noatime,size=500m 0 0

Seems to work fine, only down side is if the machine is bumped then the contents of the log files are lost and are recreated from scratch on boot up. It hasn't affected me yet in a negative way but if it did, I suppose I would put the var folder on my raid 0 to keep it persistant.

Anyways, I was wondering if this was even an issue with windows. Windows does create log files, right? And their is no swap partition, but a swap file?.
So there would be a fair amount of writes to the SSD, no?

Just curious as to how windows handles that.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 09:58:55 »
I believe the issue is no different with Windows. I have no idea which OS does more logging and thus more writes. However I was under the impression that it may not actually be such an "issue" as such in that it could take a very long time for that to actually happen (like if it takes 15 years then who cares?)

Well I guess MW would care :D

Offline chimera15

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 10:26:05 »
Quote from: ripster;290266
Hey, you guys are supposed to be helping me!

Anyway, I linked to a most excellent SSD setup guide for Windows earlier in the thread.  But since you're an oldtimer here's a couple of more links:

1.  SSD WIN7 Setup Secrets
2. How to split tasks SSD Boot/HD Storage

Show Image

And in case you missed it Sandy Bridge has a SATA 3.0 problem so don't plug in your stuff into it or you may get....ZZZZOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGG GRADUAL PERFORMANCE DEGRADATION OVER THREEEEEEE YEEEEEARRSSSSS.

Monkey fight!
Alps boards:

Offline bigpook

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 10:27:49 »
There is just something about Sam Jackson and the word ****.  Its just awesome.

And yes, so sorry for not reading the entire thread but gee whiz, it is over 15 pages long now...

Offline bigpook

« Reply #168 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 10:34:22 »
Yeah, I do recall a seemingly endless stream of Sandy Bridge recall notices. : )

Nice links on the windows stuff. Thanks.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 11:20:38 »
The good thing about old computers is you don't have to  worry about  faulty components. By the time computers  get  to be  10 years old,  all the  faulty  ones die off.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline J888www

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 11:24:55 »
Quote from: ripster;290130
I like Aluminum Lian Li's for ease of carting around and impeccable fit/finish.  

I used a Lian-Li A05NB (very good quality, but....) for my last build, now with regret as the Aluminium case have a tendency to drone with fan speed set to highish. Wished I bought a steel chasis like ie. Antec Solo, at least it does not require separate purchase of sound proofing material (was quite surprised by the cost of this material).

The only recommendation for cases is not to use Aluminium. Each to their own requirements so the size/make/model is relatively personal.

I too am thinking of another new build atm but not until everything is sorted, then I will wait a little more longer to see if the reports are positive, no point in rushing into a situation where the results will only be disappointment.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 11:28:49 »
In fact it was CH that tried to claim ddr3 is the same as triple channel

The conversation CH had that I was commenting about him acting all superior for no reason was about triple channel function, not really ddr3.

You know, I do feel superior to you by virtue of my ability to read English. I'll give you that much.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 12:09:15 »
Aluminum  is also  very soft. It's easier to  scratch  and  dent than  most  plastic. I'm  surprised people would make  computer  cases out of it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 13:47:45 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;290334
Aluminum  is also  very soft. It's easier to  scratch  and  dent than  most  plastic. I'm  surprised people would make  computer  cases out of it.

Yeah, I prefer my steel IBM cases :)
Although I see what you mean when you say the plastic doesn't dent. But it can crack... or gets mushed if it's soft ABS.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 17:09:41 »
Quote from: ripster;290448
The big advantage of Aluminum cases are how light they are.  Plus anodized aluminum is beautiful.

iPads for example are made of a single billet of machined aluminum.
Show Image

Magnesium rollcage is way better bub. Way stronger than aluminum.

And for a *desktop*, I'd rather have steel any day 'round.

I still find apple products ugly. I hate shiny silver stuff. Tacky.

Matte is the way to go.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 21:23:22 »
The stuff isn't shiny. Apple's aluminum is very, very matte.

As for magnesium alloy, I agree. The problem is with consumer perception. Aluminum feels like metal because it's very cold to the touch. People know it's metal. That's why a lot of consumer end notebooks plaster aluminum all over the chassis to give it a higher end feel without actually being that much stronger. Magnesium alloy on the other hand, especially when painted, feels all plasticy. I mean, I thought the magnesium parts on a Dell Latitude D620 were plastic. Ditto for some E6410 parts and an entire Inspiron that I thought was plastic until I broke the panels.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 22:24:03 »
Isn't magnesium extremely flammable? Like it gets hot enough to ignite thermite even.
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline msiegel

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 22:50:37 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;290556
magnesium

that was quite interesting :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 05 February 2011, 23:21:21 »
Quote from: ripster;290262
Why don't you guys argue about the history of DDR3 by PM. The lulz potential is minimal. ANDDDDDDD......I'm not into Vintage anyway.

God forbid anyone pollute YOUR threads with retarded posts. I mean, you have never done that to anyone else, right?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #179 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 05:43:39 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;290556
Isn't magnesium extremely flammable? Like it gets hot enough to ignite thermite even.

Let's just say that magnesium is flammable in the same way that aluminium is soft.

Offline Brian8bit

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 10:45:37 »
That linoleum is a good idea. I like that. Much cheaper than branded foam sound deadening. And less smelly than the bitumen type they use in Fractals, I suppose.

Offline EverythingIBM

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 14:56:49 »
Ripster I absolutely LOVE your cable tie idea to tie the fans on to the heatsinks by threading it through the fins.

GENIUS!

Where could I get twisty cables like that?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 06 February 2011, 15:21:58 »
You can get them real cheap at just about any hardware store.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 07 February 2011, 05:58:53 »
Quote from: ripster;290893
I recommend keeping a razor blade hidden in your anus.

Funny, that's where I keep my Razer BlackWidow. I had to switch to a standing desk though ...

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 10 February 2011, 17:15:27 »
god i love my D14   :D    I will buy noctuas stuff for a long time if they can ever top this baby!   My 4.2 will never pass 70C, even under the Intel Burn Test my CPU does not go over 68C which is just amazing!

I am glad you like it ripster!
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #185 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 10:51:54 »
That's why I'm lazy and let Lenovo build mine =)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 11:50:53 »
Nice lighting.
Alps boards:

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 11:51:46 »
How the BIOS has managed to last this long is really beyond me. Same with the whole x86 PC architecture in general.

Offline J888www

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 12:03:23 »
The AsRock mobo have the latest Drivers and latest version of BIOS  flashed ?
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #189 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 13:08:32 »
That would take longer than just flipping the DIP switch.  Efficiency for the win.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 13:33:34 »
DIP switches don't fry when you accidentally download the US firmware instead of the UK one...

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 11 February 2011, 17:14:26 »
The nice thing about my rubber dome keyboards from the 1990's is that I don't have to worry about firmware. They're nice, reliable, and durable.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #192 on: Sat, 12 February 2011, 16:13:13 »
Rip, those aren't bad numbers from you stock sandy.

Offline slueth

« Reply #193 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 02:01:09 »
Ripster did you get that ssd?  If so you should google ssd optimization.

Also utilize the ramdisk section.  There are ramdisk programs that will let you use your ram as a hard drive.  In linux they have a dynamic version where it changes according to use.

The ram disk will act like a super fast hard drive and you can point programs to it and then have it autosave or save before you shutdown the computer as an image.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #194 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 06:05:23 »
I use tmpfs and not a ramdisk, it can swap if it needs to. I have swap on a spinning disk.

Also, Im pretty sure Rip has already optimized for SSD...

Offline chimera15

« Reply #195 on: Wed, 16 February 2011, 07:57:31 »
I learned it's important to update the firmware if there are any updates as well recently.  Lots of times the manufacturers tweak the leveling and other problems drives might encounter.

Patriot ssds for instance from a year or so ago are extremely prone to failing because the firmware they shipped with was inefficient.  You have to wipe the drive to do it unfortunately, so best to do it as soon as you get it.
Alps boards:

Offline typo

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 21:01:39 »
my! what a big heatsink you have. lol.

i'd be hard pressed to go 1366 or get a 12 core opteron. the opteron will smoke the i7......but of course the 12 core xeon will smoke the opteron. money not withstanding.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 17 February 2011, 21:17:35 »
Quote from: ripster;289617
AssRocks Rocks Ass!

My Quad 6700 system is now up and running.  This is good news since the memory and CPU survived the motherboard getting fried.

Unfortunately there is no way a $60 AsRocks can get this up to 3.6 but I may just stick it at 3.4 and be happy.

I loved my old Asrock board - a 939SLI32-eSATA2.  It had a bizarre chipset which had two real x16 slots, and four SATA ports in a day when two was common, but no SLI support because nVidia stuck their heads up their rear ends until the X58 boards came out, by which time I had shorted and killed the board by accident, and installed a Phenom instead.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline dracaXL

• http://www.technickal.org
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 14:13:36 »
Nice build, I have a very similar set-up, except in an NZXT Phantom (White) case and a GTX 580.
Filco Majestouch Linear (i.e. MX Blacks) | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns) | TVS Gold Bharat (MX Blue) | VorTex KBC Poker* (MX Red)

Intel Core i7-2600k | Gainward GTX 580 GOOD | 8GB XMS3 DDR3 RAM | Gigabyte P67-UD4 | Asus Xonar Essence ST | NZXT Phantom | KRK RP5 G2 w. Wharfedale SW150

*pre-ordered

Offline hfcobra

« Reply #199 on: Wed, 02 March 2011, 17:04:10 »
Quote from: typo;297013
my! what a big heatsink you have. lol.

i'd be hard pressed to go 1366 or get a 12 core opteron. the opteron will smoke the i7......but of course the 12 core xeon will smoke the opteron. money not withstanding.

why would you need a server CPU like that anyways?  That much power would be wasted on a home desktop I would think...

Unless you are buying one for a server of course, then dont mind this comment!  :P
Own/Love: REɅLFORCE 87UB EK Edition 45g

Have owned/used: Realforce 103-UB, XArmor U9BL, Filco Majestouch 104-key with Cherry MX Blues, Browns, and Reds, Steelseries 6gv2, Leopold with Browns