Author Topic: The day of backlit Filco is near...?  (Read 21251 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
The day of backlit Filco is near...?
« on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 22:38:00 »
I've heard news from WASD representative from their Facebook page mentioning that they'll have tenkeyless keyboard out by the end of the year, also backlit keyboard is also in the works.  Then just today I saw this picture from Computex 2012 at Taipei.

2997-0

Clearly Thermaltake is also releasing their Meka G1 backlit keyboard.  As we all know WASD share the same case and manufacture with Thermaltake Meka G1, and they're both OEM by Costar.

So is it safe to assume Costar already has designs for backlit keyboard and probably one day Filco might pick up on it?  Because if they do release one I'll definitely buy it.  Though judging by the rate things are going we won't be able to find out until 2013
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2012, 22:50:01 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: The day of backlit Filco is near...?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 23:51:30 »
It sure looks like that white one is a bit wider. Are those macro keys I see to the left? They are clearly on the middle and right (middle row) keyboards.

That might be cool. If it's decent quality, it can hopefully replace the Razer BW for a decent backlit mech with mechanical (looking at you, corsair) macro keys.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 23:51:37 »
Interesting conjecture. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with one soon, given what you shared. Thanks!

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 00:16:53 »
I've been waiting ...  too looong  :confused:

Offline therecorder

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 00:45:15 »
I think the problem with that is the market and the pricing.  How many buyers are there that would be ready to spend probably close to $200 for a backlit keyboard (considering that Deck is already an established supplier to that smaller market).

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 00:48:35 »
I don't think they will since Filcos tend to aim for a high end and sophisticated market. Backlighting kinda makes keyboards look like a kids toy
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline therecorder

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 01:00:37 »
I don't think they will since Filcos tend to aim for a high end and sophisticated market. Backlighting kinda makes keyboards look like a kids toy

Same could be said about the Filco Camo.

Still think that the problem would be the market and the pricing.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
Re: Re: The day of backlit Filco is near...?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 01:01:43 »

I heard dat.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 01:14:17 »
There's also the trigger which has been said several times by a CM rep on this forum that it is a Costar board.

I still don't think we will see a backlit filco.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 08:44:15 »
There's also the trigger which has been said several times by a CM rep on this forum that it is a Costar board.

I still don't think we will see a backlit filco.
I've only heard the CM rep say the rapid was costar. Isn't the trigger iOne?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 09:45:02 »
The Trigger is not Costar.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 09:50:35 »
The Trigger is not Costar.

Completely incorrect statement.

It is most definitely Costar

- CM Storm Product Manager

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 09:52:10 »
You will also NEVER see another iOne board from CM ever again. Rest assured.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 09:59:21 »

Thank god... just improve on the rapid and we'll be happy.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 10:02:07 »
But the pro and trigger are both iOne..

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 10:54:57 »
And that's how you get a non-speculatiive answer from the source  :P
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 10:59:13 »

Thank god... just improve on the rapid and we'll be happy.

Yes, please!

And that's how you get a non-speculatiive answer from the source  :P

Did you see him in online list and lure him out? You trickster, you. ;D

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 11:03:57 »
If the answer about the Trigger had been posted previously, I don't remember it being on GH.  We had a good thread going with a CM rep on the Quickfire Rapid that stated it was Costar though.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 11:16:31 »
Not digging backlight. I got my first backlight board recently a BL82 (it was $10, how can I pass such a deal?) and first thing I want to do is replace the keycap. It looks allright with completely opaque Cherry caps and a subtle underglow. I just don't get why they seem to think they need to make something look garish to make sales in the gamer market. Most people I know that are attracted to mech is because of superior function and that is most important, not looking like a carnival.
Really the only backlight board I like the look of stock is the all white version of Race. They managed to make it look elegant.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 August 2012, 11:18:47 by lysol »

Offline stingrae

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 13:48:44 »

oooh that's interesting :o given a post a few months ago that was deleted a day or so later. Still that is good news :D. Thanks for info though.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 20:53:56 »
Costar certainly does have backlit keyboard designs.  I demand TKL version.

As for CM dumping iOne, cool news I guess.  The QF Pro is an excellent keyboard though.
Ducky Shine II TKL (Green LED, Cherry MX Red) | Leopold FC210TP (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 21:01:06 »

As for CM dumping iOne, cool news I guess.  The QF Pro is an excellent keyboard though.
I disagree.  I had to return mine.  It wobbled when I pressed keys and it has a "known issue" where it isn't recognized in the BIOS when in NKRO mode.

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 21:52:50 »

I disagree.  I had to return mine.  It wobbled when I pressed keys and it has a "known issue" where it isn't recognized in the BIOS when in NKRO mode.

The latter is an easy fix: keep it in 6KRO during such boot ups.  Wobbling isn't normal, sounds like you just had a DOA.  But anyway, a backlit Filco would be something that not many would argue about.  :)
Ducky Shine II TKL (Green LED, Cherry MX Red) | Leopold FC210TP (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 22:05:15 »

The latter is an easy fix: keep it in 6KRO during such boot ups.  Wobbling isn't normal, sounds like you just had a DOA.  But anyway, a backlit Filco would be something that not many would argue about.  :)
Only problem is remembering to switch it back to 6KRO when shutting the computer off.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 22:38:26 »

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTT that's insane, I hope all the manufactures will release those soon :D

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 23:53:15 »
I want to clarify that, backlit keyboard is not necessary categorize as a "Gaming Keyboard". It is a functionality that for people like to use their computer with lights off.
It helps when briefing with my colleagues, showing animation work on monitors, with dim lights.
Same true when macro keys, LCD screen, volume roller, headphone jack, mute button on keyboards.
I don't know how much time I can save at the office, with adobe suite, maya, 3dsmax...etc.
And of course, playing dayz ingame night time with room lights off is supa fun :D
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 August 2012, 00:17:09 by quake4mhg »

Offline Deekin

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 10:36:03 »

First keyboard looked exactly like a WASD keyboard... Their v2 is gonna be backlit. Though its super weird since that one looks just like v1 but the v1 is not backlit. Might it be a backlit v2 "prototype" (I say prototype since v2 shouldnt be looking exactly like v1, right?) or just some modded v1 keyboard? I have no idea...

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 10:42:09 »

Only problem is remembering to switch it back to 6KRO when shutting the computer off.

Switch it to 6KRO before turning off PC?  Or leave it on 6KRO, it's hard to find a purpose for NKRO.  Another option of course is a PS/2 adapter.

First keyboard looked exactly like a WASD keyboard... Their v2 is gonna be backlit. Though its super weird since that one looks just like v1 but the v1 is not backlit. Might it be a backlit v2 "prototype" (I say prototype since v2 shouldnt be looking exactly like v1, right?) or just some modded v1 keyboard? I have no idea...

Hopefully other manufacturers (like Filco) release backlit keyboards, since I want a tenkeyless.  There's always KBT and now KeyCool, but the more the merrier.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 11:02:07 »
The quickfire pro does NOT support PS/2.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 11:07:01 »

WASD has stated that the v2 has a new look to the case.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Deekin

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 11:16:45 »
Ok, then its no v2.

It looks just like a v1 without the branding and is backlit.... what is that board???? Some random showoff Costar board? lol

Offline nullstring

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 12:57:15 »
Of course, rosewill is going to be releasing them sometime as well.
http://blog.laptopmag.com/rosewill-rk-9100-gaming-keyboard-hands-on-4-different-backlight-modes

Not sure I understand the fascination behind backlit key though.

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 14:12:04 »

It looks cool.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 16:33:19 »

It looks cool.
Need something to justify spending $100+ on a keyboard.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 23:59:34 »
Yeah I bought a Blackwidow before only because it looks really really nice in my opinion.  But then then the macro key starts to bug me (keeps pressing the macro key instead of ctrl) so I returned it and got a Das brown, and recently got a Filco red.  Which turn out to be a good thing because I realize I like brown and red much better than blue.

Now that WASD Keyboards, Thermaltake, Rosewill have announced it, hopefully Das or Filco will release a backlit keyboard too then I'm sold :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 00:10:16 by Hyde »

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 00:31:58 »
I really don't need more than 2 mechanical keyboards, but all these new offerings are making me feel like I need to cop.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 00:56:01 »
Those little pictures of the MX switches their using sure do look familiar ; )
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 September 2012, 00:57:44 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline boredgunner

• GND-Tech
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 10:38:44 »
I really don't need more than 2 mechanical keyboards, but all these new offerings are making me feel like I need to cop.

Tell me about it.  I was planning on keeping an MX Red TKL board and a fullsize tactile board.  I'm now considering at least an MX Red TKL, and two fullsize boards. 

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 11:18:52 »
Yeah, it's much faster to type on 3 keyboards than 1.

Offline Deekin

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 12:13:38 »
Yeah, it's much faster to type on 3 keyboards than 1.

lol good one.

Though I guess they just want some kbs with different switches, simple as that.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 13:26:32 »
Having a back lit board wouldn't be useful to me, since I don't look at the keyboard when I type but it still looks cool, imho, like lighting for the computer case.

I owned the Cooler Master QF Pro and I returned it a day later. It doesn't support ps2, as someone else mentioned. It looked like an Ione board to me, I had a rebranded Ione Xarmor from Monoprice, you couldn't fit a WASD space bar on it unless you removed the alt keys. Same problem with the CM QF Pro.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 23:53:33 »

Me neither, I already have a MX Red and MX Brown, one for work one for home.  But I still want a backlit board and a topre realforce because it's technically "different" >____>

That and backlit board just look so nice ~

Offline Alpha_Tay

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:47:22 »
according to some sources, rosewill 9100 is a i-rocks, while rosewill 9000 is a co-star.

RK9000 (Costar) comes with 3 years warranty
RK9100 (iRocks) comes with 1 year warranty

but this info isnt 100% accurate.

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 September 2012, 11:54:38 by Alpha_Tay »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 22:30:56 »
Ahhhhhh that sux, though I have to say I really think the RK9100 look kind of ugly so even if it's Costar I might still not get it LOL.  I'm putting faith in backlit Filco and hopefully they don't have to make me wait for too long lol.

I already lost faith in Das cuz they switched vendor, their new vendor while is not confirmed, but look a lot like iOne.

Offline Alpha_Tay

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 03:17:37 »
filco does have backlit now, as seen on filco own brand/demo unit that's show up at trade show around the world.

UPDATE: i think i am having a typo, i meant costar.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 September 2012, 12:14:45 by Alpha_Tay »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:33:24 »
Really?!?!?!?  Picture or it didn't happen :P

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 11:32:02 »
Only picture I've seen is of an un-branded Costar backlit board.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 11:38:21 »
Backlit filcos  = ugly IMO..lol
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Hyde

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:33:10 »
I just realize Mionix Zibal 60 is also a backlit Costar board and it has been out for a while now.  So this would mean Costar has the ability to do it for a while except the other companies just didn't pick it up probably due to cost or they didn't think there's market for it.

Which would also potentially mean Filco chose not to do a backlit board :(

But I guess WASD and Thermaltake gave in so let's hope Filco will too lol