Author Topic: [Shipping] Stainless Steel Poker Plate  (Read 122238 times)

Offline alixinhzai

No, It's only 4 switches that you would have desolder to change stems. It's not that many and I'd rather not lose integrity around those 4 switches just to have the ability to change stems (how often do you really do that?)

oh T_T nvm :| I fixed it :D if u need I'll send it to you.
Do u sell any leftover T_T

Offline Acanthophis

I'm interested in the fixed file, could you please upload it?

Offline alixinhzai

I'm interested in the fixed file, could you please upload it?
fixed from the_beat's file
http://www.mediafire.com/?gzintwh43xzc0me

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Where did you get that originally?

Offline Acanthophis

I don't understand why we don't use the fixed dwg file?
Those 4 switch holes in questions do have the same plate support as the space bar switch. And The_Beast confirmed it doesn't feel inferior compared to the normal switches.
So why not make this?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
It's only 4 switches, if you want to mod the plate after you get it, you're more than welcome to do so.

Where did you get that originally?

alixinhzai gave it to me and I fixed the spacebar issue and sent it back to alixinhzai. I'm assuming that alixinhzai based his original drawing off of a phantom plate, while also had problems with those 4 switches.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Acanthophis

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
WAIT!!! FOUR SWITCHES?!?!?

Offline Acanthophis

Oh, c'mon, you know what I mean.
At first you had the argument you didn't want to take away plate support. But then you dismantled this argument yourself.
So again, what's holding you back?
(not trying to aggressively get you to do this, just want an answer ;) )

@esoomenona
It's not about the amount of switches. Even if it's only one single switch, you have to desolder and solder again, just for a single stem/spring/sticker/lubrication. So we have the possibility to avoid this.
As someone who does a lot on my Poker (and it being my first option to test out all the things) I want to change things quickly. I think that's understandable.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Oh, c'mon, you know what I mean.
At first you had the argument you didn't want to take away plate support. But then you dismantled this argument yourself.
So again, what's holding you back?
(not trying to aggressively get you to do this, just want an answer ;) )

@esoomenona
It's not about the amount of switches. Even if it's only one single switch, you have to desolder and solder again, just for a single stem/spring/sticker/lubrication. So we have the possibility to avoid this.
As someone who does a lot on my Poker (and it being my first option to test out all the things) I want to change things quickly. I think that's understandable.

I don't see how I dismantled my own argument? (Don't worry, I don't get butthurt over arguments)

What's holding me back is I sent the plates into be cut 11/1 so it's a bit late to make revisions since they may be cut already. They'll for sure be done on Friday.

Offline Acanthophis

Well, you said you can't feel a difference between space bar switch and an alpha switch.
But whatever, if they are done already or soon to be done, it doesn't really matter now anyway.

I'll just have to work on them by myself then.
Thanks anyway for your argument-cooperation, little Brony ;)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Well, you said you can't feel a difference between space bar switch and an alpha switch.
But whatever, if they are done already or soon to be done, it doesn't really matter now anyway.

I'll just have to work on them by myself then.
Thanks anyway for your argument-cooperation, little Brony ;)

The spacebar and the 4 keys that have stabilizers are totally different beasts. The spacebars has a ton of room to the left and right to have the gaps that make it possible to remove the top. On the 4 keys that aren't open-able, they are very tightly spaced so there isn't room to keep the gap without losing integrity for the switch.

Anyways, you'll be desoldering all of your switches to install this plate, modding 16 tiny tabs shouldn't be a huge deal ^___^

Offline balanar

Could someone enlighten this nub here exactly what mod would be required to allow those 4 switches to have their stems swapped without requiring soldering? Oh and pm'ed you about some shipping address changes Beast.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Could someone enlighten this nub here exactly what mod would be required to allow those 4 switches to have their stems swapped without requiring soldering? Oh and pm'ed you about some shipping address changes Beast.

Old man alaricljs drops his knowledge on the subject:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36039.msg692646#msg692646

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
The eagle has landed.

Since my brother couldn't pick them up today or at all this week, I had to send my mom. She wasn't too happy about carrying 50 lbs of stainless steel up a flight of stairs :(. Don't worry, when I get home on Wednesday, I'll buy her and cook her a nice steak dinner.

Offline Caaaarrrt

Re: [Closed - Order Received] Stainless Steel Poker Plate
« Reply #316 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 20:17:42 »
Thanks Mrs The_Beast's Mum, we all appreciate it!
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #317 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 07:40:06 »
Way to go Mom Pony!

Offline xavierblak

The eagle has landed.

Good to hear. I'm all ready to start desoldering my poker.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #319 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 17:45:12 »
Fat stacks of metal

Offline CKTofu

• I don't even...
Re: [Closed - Pics pg 11] Stainless Steel Poker Plate
« Reply #320 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 17:57:08 »
Mmmm, looking good.
Ducky Shine 2 - MX Red with Red LEDs

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #321 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 18:41:18 »
I see my one prototype plate in there :D, along with profesist and Dangwang's TKL versions, and the rest of the poker plates.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 19:07:17 »
Nice. Can't wait to get to work soldering.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #323 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 21:28:51 »
The_Beast I thought you were the one of the leaders of the potato camera club, how can you just leave like this  :'(

Offline yuiop

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 21:28:54 »
wow that's a lot of plates.  Time to desolder my poker.
You fingers are gonna be pretty sore bending/sanding all those switcher openers.  take it easy bro :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #325 on: Wed, 21 November 2012, 21:36:18 »
The_Beast I thought you were the one of the leaders of the potato camera club, how can you just leave like this  :'(

I'm at home now so my mom has a nice camera for me to use

wow that's a lot of plates.  Time to desolder my poker.
You fingers are gonna be pretty sore bending/sanding all those switcher openers.  take it easy bro :)

I'll be using a bend sander and a vise to bend these. It shouldn't take super long but it will still take some time to do. And I won't be able to start until I get back to school on Monday.

I'll be sorting plates today and tomorrow. I need to get a final weight for shipping and then set up a CSV file so I can print off labels.

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 04:48:46 »
can't wait for this :( I see my filco plate and many phatom :|

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #327 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 05:42:07 »
Pics on page 11? o.0
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline TDub

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 06:29:07 »
Can we also add one of those nice tkl plates and switch tools to our poker order?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 09:07:48 »
Can we also add one of those nice tkl plates and switch tools to our poker order?

Besides WhiteFireDragon's prototype Universal TKL Plate, the only TKL plates there are Phantom ANSI150 plates, which will be distributed by DanGWanG. The rest appear to be all the Poker plates, those with poker suit cutouts, and those without.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TDub

« Reply #330 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 09:35:50 »
My bad I guess I saw what I wanted to see :P

Guess I will have to wait for the Mix Bag Plate GB. I still would love a set of switch tools :).

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #331 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 14:26:48 »
Pics on page 11? o.0

Page 11 for me, and everyone knows that beast = center of the world ^___^

Besides WhiteFireDragon's prototype Universal TKL Plate, the only TKL plates there are Phantom ANSI150 plates, which will be distributed by DanGWanG. The rest appear to be all the Poker plates, those with poker suit cutouts, and those without.

You wrong son

alixinhzai designed and ordered 3 stainless steel filco plates. TheProfosist ordered 3 of them too. I'd rather have them tested by TheProfosist and alixinhzai before I do anything else with it since I don't have a filco TKL to  test it out on

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #332 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 14:43:42 »
When you shipping these Ben-bro? Also, we all get a keycap puller with each one? I thought I added myself to that interest check, but I dont remember where it went.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #333 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:17:27 »
When you shipping these Ben-bro? Also, we all get a keycap puller with each one? I thought I added myself to that interest check, but I dont remember where it went.

Well, I think I'm going to send out a mass PM to everyone who ordered with a shipping and handling amount that they send to my PP account. Then if you want a switch top remover tool then just add $6 per set to the shipping+handling amount. In the notes tell my how many sets you ordered and if you have any changes in shipping address.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll start shipping some time next week if I have time. I still need to buy and cut high density fiberboard to use as a backing so that the plates don't bend too much during shipping. Plus sand and bend the switch top tools since I'm pretty sure that everyone who ordered a plate will want a pair

Also, I wanted to mention that the plates are slightly bent. I'm pretty sure it's because he has to clean the burrs off the back side and he uses a large belt driven belt sander that gives the plates a gentle curve. But its' nothing 2 minutes and a flat table can't fix. I also noticed that in the poker suits, some of them didn't turn out super great. Where the two upturned legs are on the spades and clubs are still attached to one another or are slightly mis-shapened. :(

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #334 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:38:09 »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #335 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 15:58:35 »
everyone's order is packed. I'll be buying the HDFB, cutting it, and getting a going to the post office tomorrow

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #336 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 16:24:18 »
You wrong son

alixinhzai designed and ordered 3 stainless steel filco plates. TheProfosist ordered 3 of them too. I'd rather have them tested by TheProfosist and alixinhzai before I do anything else with it since I don't have a filco TKL to  test it out on

My bad. I wasn't aware of the others besides the Phantom and WFD's Universal. I will test one if you need testers. I have a Filco TKL I was trying to sell, but it looks like I will just do a switch swap.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #337 on: Thu, 22 November 2012, 18:01:36 »
You wrong son

My bad. I wasn't aware of the others besides the Phantom and WFD's Universal. I will test one if you need testers. I have a Filco TKL I was trying to sell, but it looks like I will just do a switch swap.

No it's fine. No one knew that I was doing another TKL plate except those two since I didn't want to release an untested plate to a mass audience.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #338 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 01:59:52 »
Even though I didn't get in on this Poker plate GB, I'm still hugely interested in the switch top removal tool (saw/filled out the old IC thread). Hope to hear more about where any extras go soon!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: [Closed] Stainless Steel Poker Plate
« Reply #339 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:06:51 »
Got my plate last night. Feels heavy and solid. It was a good idea to flip the DWG file around so that top could be sanded. There were a lot less metal shavings and debris compared to my TKL plate, so it's ready to have switches dropped in without having to file the inside cuts. Here's a few other comments:

Top shot of the full plate.

Details and surface came out pretty nice.

The bottom of the plate as these blow-out marks on every cutout. You can sand these out yourself, but it's the bottom so it doesn't matter.

There's a noticeable bend to the plate. Since the plate is so stiff, you will probably have to unbend it, otherwise it might flex the PCB or put pressure on the standoff/screws if you try to screw it down anyways.

I put it on the edge of the table and pushed down, opposite of the bend, and 5 minutes later it's flat again.

Offline TDub

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:52:13 »
Just out of curiosity, why is my paypal email red in the order status list?

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #341 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:00:14 »
That looks really good, keen to get mine :)
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline Batmann

« Reply #342 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:01:53 »
Those pics make me want mine so bad!
I have no love for my poker right now

Thanks for this GB pink pony, fair prices and solid goods, what else? ^^

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #343 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:17:12 »
Just out of curiosity, why is my paypal email red in the order status list?

No reason. I was changing stuff on the order form and this list got messed up since it references off the order form

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #344 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:37:24 »
Just so there’s no jelly flying around, I did not get any special treatment on getting this plate first while nobody else has it shipped yet. I paid for medium flat rate box and it was shipped along with my TKL prototype. I don’t even own this plate, just helping some people install and mod their pokers.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #345 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:14:33 »
Just so there’s no jelly flying around, I did not get any special treatment on getting this plate first while nobody else has it shipped yet. I paid for medium flat rate box and it was shipped along with my TKL prototype. I don’t even own this plate, just helping some people install and mod their pokers.

Yup, WFD ordered an aluminum plate and paid for it to be shipped at the same time that he bought a plate. The reason he got a poker plate is because he's soldering it on for someone and it was just convenient to throw it in the same box because it was going to him anyways.

I'll send out shipping invoices soon, but I have some bad news for international. For some reason the guy at my local post office said that international shipping would be around $10, but when I shipped WFD's plate, I asked again and the cheapest was ~$15 and ~$17 for priority mail.

I still need to sand down the switch top removers, I would have tonight but the guy who runs the lab I was going to do it in had a meeting. I'll try to get them done tomorrow if I can.

I also fixed the status list so it doesn't show PP emails. Sorry about that :(

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #346 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:47:25 »
The plate weighs 5.24oz. Shipping it international in a USPS flat rate envelope is $17. Your best bet is to package it in a normal padded envelope and shipping it by first class since it's the cheapest and under 4 pound. If you including packaging, it should be around 6oz package for 1 plate, so first class international for that is about $7. You'd save on shipping cost, but it's a real hassle for first class international because they won't allow you to do it online. You have to handwrite the customs forms and wait at the post office to pay for it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #347 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:48:08 »
For int'l shipping, anything under 4 lbs will be cheaper to use your own packaging. Over that, Priority Flat Rate becomes the wiser choice. There is no tracking available for First Class int'l shipping, and it takes a bit longer, but it's also far more economical than either Priority or Express.

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #348 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:51:58 »
The plate weighs 5.24oz. Shipping it international in a USPS flat rate envelope is $17. Your best bet is to package it in a normal padded envelope and shipping it by first class since it's the cheapest and under 4 pound. If you including packaging, it should be around 6oz package for 1 plate, so first class international for that is about $7. You'd save on shipping cost, but it's a real hassle for first class international because they won't allow you to do it online. You have to handwrite the customs forms and wait at the post office to pay for it.

Ok so when I sent your plate, the guy behind the counter didn't think of first class.

Well, I'm really glad I bought some brown packing paper back with me. Would it be alright to just wrap the priority envelopes in brown wrapping paper and call it a day?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #349 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:56:44 »
Would it be alright to just wrap the priority envelopes in brown wrapping paper and call it a day?

Technically, that would be considered fraud. The cost of those envelopes in factored into the price of the postage for them. Not to say that it has never happend, but just FYI.

in memoriam