Author Topic: Heavier springs for cherry browns  (Read 3025 times)

Offline gizzard

Heavier springs for cherry browns
« on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 00:09:18 »
Installed my alu spacebar and noticed that the extra weight is a drag on the cherry brown.  What switch do I extract a spring for to get me back to the original feel?   Also expecting a full zinc set soon: am I going to have the same problem for the rest of my keys?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Heavier springs for cherry browns
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 00:11:26 »
Heavier browns are clears

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Heavier springs for cherry browns
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 00:13:19 »
Installed my alu spacebar and noticed that the extra weight is a drag on the cherry brown.  What switch do I extract a spring for to get me back to the original feel?   Also expecting a full zinc set soon: am I going to have the same problem for the rest of my keys?

My mate put a zinc set on his poker with reds. If anything it just makes them feel ever so slightly smoother. I don't think they should change browns much.

Like i3oiler said, if you find your spacebar too heavy, change your spacebar to a clear.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 00:14:16 »
Heavier browns are clears

no they are certainly not... clears have a much more pronounced tactile bump.

heavier browns are sometimes referred to as tacto-blacks because most people use the spring from an MX black switch. i might have extras... i could send you some for the price of shipping. i also have some 80cn mx clear/green springs i think.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 00:15:13 »
I've often considered making "super browns".  They would be a bit different than clears because they have less of a tactile bump.  It would be fun to buy browns and clears and swap the springs.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 00:16:31 »
as i said... they're called tactoblacks. no i didn't make it up. go to bed metalliqaz :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 00:18:13 »
LOL I am! seriously this time.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 00:25:05 »
@sth tactoblacks? Seriously?  :cool:

Offline gizzard

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 01:21:42 »
lets start a tactoblacks revolution.. Sth, i may take you up on that offer :-p

I know people talk about custom korean springs.. but im surprized that mx switches dont use a standard switch size (which of course would allow us to just buy springs off the market)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 03:24:14 »
Light grey switches have the same tactile bump as a brown, but with a heavier spring.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 03:37:53 »
I put clear springs in all my spacebars because i like the extra pop. I have extra clear and black springs if u need some.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 07:26:42 »
Light grey switches have the same tactile bump as a brown, but with a heavier spring.

Greys are just like clears (bump-wise), check out Rip's guide.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2012, 07:31:49 by metalliqaz »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 07:59:06 »
Having used browns with black springs for a while on my poker and also using clears, I can definitely say they are different. Very little tactile bump left when you do it, so you might as well just be using blacks.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Rumudiez

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 17:36:51 »
Heavier browns are light greys. Clears are terrible and feel like even worse blacks--the bump is hardly noticeable, especially once you get going.

Ducky G2 PRO DK9008
40% layout, anyone?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 18:03:57 »

Greys are just like clears (bump-wise), check out Rip's guide.
This is true. I must've skipped over that before.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 18:22:09 »
Grey and clear have identical stem apart from color obviously. Grey have a heavier spring than clear. I don't care much for browns, but I tended to put clear on the space for them myself. I felt grey was just a bit too much of a gap force wise but clear is better match in my opinion but I think brown on space feel too soft. I would just replace the whole switch instead of just the spring. It's quite typical on Cherry G80 to have a heavier switch as space. Not sure why more brands don't follow that approach.

Offline Appeac

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 19:15:41 »
I've often considered making "super browns".  They would be a bit different than clears because they have less of a tactile bump.  It would be fun to buy browns and clears and swap the springs.

This is the method I used to make my ergo clear board. It is not recommended, the resultant board is somewhere between sandy reds and ****. Wish I had used a red board instead, or even blue.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline Larken

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 01 December 2012, 22:13:18 »
Browns with heavier springs would just end up feeling like blacks, like a few others have said. The heavier the spring, the less you feel the tactile bump, and brown's bump are already so subtle as it is already.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |