Author Topic: KBT Race Chalky Keys  (Read 4843 times)

Offline hotlikedimes

KBT Race Chalky Keys
« on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 12:35:09 »
I've been using my KBT Race for a while now and I really am fed up with the keys. First I thought it as a difference between the BWU mx-blue's and these blues, but I swapped out the alpha key caps from the BWU and put them on the race, and it feels a whole lot better... The Race keys just feel chalky, and oddly contoured (deep bevel) which I think makes it harder to type on.  I'm curious to anyone out there who owns a Race if their keys are similar and if they lose the chalky texture of if I'm stuck with it.  I love the keyboard, just not the caps and half the reason I bought the keyboard is for the Pink caps so I would like to keep them if they're going to wear down a little and feel nicer..

Offline bardomudo

Re: KBT Race Chalky Keys
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:15:26 »
All PBT keys have the same chalky feel. Some love, some hate and others, like me, can see the difference but don't make a big deal out of it. If the PBT keycaps from the Race are the same from my KBT Oni, the pad printing also helps for a rougher feel, but I honestly don't even usually notice it. PBT is a lot harder than ABS and one of the reasons people prefer it over ABS is because they don't wear off easily. Model M's have PBT keycaps and I have never seen a worn out one, so you might get tired if you decide to wait for them to wear.

Get some DoubleShot (or even lasered, if you don't care) ABS keycaps to replace them if you hate it all that much. ABS is very common to find and I'm sure you can find pink keys, even if it's through the Custom WASD keyset maker. No big deal.

EDIT: just realized that since you mentioned it having pink keys, I believe it's the limited White LED Race edition? If so, I believe these have ABS caps. Shouldn't feel as chalky as PBT then. Maybe someone can clarify if it has something to do with the dying process Vortex chose, or if it's just the pad printing feel.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:22:29 by bardomudo »

Offline hotlikedimes

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:39:28 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=145 that's the one. It says ABS printed.  I dunno maybe it's just the pad printing as opposed to the laser engraving like I have on my Ducky. The ducky is ABS too and it feels fine when I type on it, and even with blacks I almost prefer to type on it just because of the keys.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:52:39 »
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=145 that's the one. It says ABS printed.  I dunno maybe it's just the pad printing as opposed to the laser engraving like I have on my Ducky. The ducky is ABS too and it feels fine when I type on it, and even with blacks I almost prefer to type on it just because of the keys.

A pad-printed "special edition"?  With keycaps flaws that affect every keyboard of this model?

Yes, new keycaps are in order!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline hotlikedimes

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 14:49:09 »
What keycap flaw is this you speak of? I got one of the 'flawed' ones from mechanicalkeyboards and the only issue is there is a little dig taken out of the back of the F-row keys that's about a millimeter.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 14:52:45 »
What keycap flaw is this you speak of? I got one of the 'flawed' ones from mechanicalkeyboards and the only issue is there is a little dig taken out of the back of the F-row keys that's about a millimeter.

From their website:

Quote from: mechanicalkeyboards
This keyboard is marked at a severely discounted price to reflect a minor design flaw in some of the pink keys on this model. All keyboards by Vortex of this model type were affected. Random key caps may have scuffs (usually 2 - 5). The flaw is strictly aesthetic and all key caps function as intended.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline hotlikedimes

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 14:59:02 »
Yeah that's not a problem with the top of the cap, it's with the "north face" of the cap. 

Those marks are all across the Function row and then again on a couple of the number row keys.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 15:56:07 »
Those look like the sprue marks to me, which is caused when the plastic enters the mould, and are normal.

Offline hotlikedimes

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 17:18:33 »
Those look like the sprue marks to me, which is caused when the plastic enters the mould, and are normal.

It's either that or when they painted it's just something that happened there. The keycaps are grey on the inside so I assume they're just painted over in pink, so it could also be just be something like they got scratched when they were moved or something..

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 20:19:35 »
^ Well it's only winter in Canada, so I would say NO.2

Now the real question, how does this fit in with chalky race keys? Hmmmm...and with what seems as a first post....

It's either that or when they painted it's just something that happened there. The keycaps are grey on the inside so I assume they're just painted over in pink, so it could also be just be something like they got scratched when they were moved or something..

Those are just the sprue marks, on every race I have come across they are the same.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 December 2012, 20:21:39 by Halverson »

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 20:59:26 »
u guys r talking to a spambot.  ;D   :))
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline hotlikedimes

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 21:14:57 »
u guys r talking to a spambot.  ;D   :))

Obviously you don't trust anyone on the internet these days! :p

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:42:45 »
I was kinda hoping this thread was about chalkboard keys so you can rewrite your own legends in chalk. Oh and I love shopping in Canada with Asian chicks.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
KBT Race Chalky Keys
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 22:53:58 »
I was kinda hoping this thread was about chalkboard keys so you can rewrite your own legends in chalk. Oh and I love shopping in Canada with Asian chicks.
I love shopping at Asian stores in Canada! And anywhere else :)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 00:42:23 »
I love Asian chicks anywhere anytime.  Doubly so if they have some front-printed keycaps.  :-*
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)