Author Topic: [Orders Closed] Phantom PCB R2  (Read 268175 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: [Collecting Orders] Phantom PCB R2
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 01:59:19 »
Here, I'll beat you to the photos because I already know what you're talking about. The large standoff (green circle) you're talking about is the one towards the top middle that's a little bit offset. But since the PCB just sits right on top of it, you don't actually need a hole in the PCB for that one to put the screw through. And you're right, there are just too many traces there to put a hole there so I didn't even mention it. But bpiphany and I did talk about that one. The case has 8 tabs (red rectangles) that holds that top cover very secure with the bottom cover, so you don't actually need a screw through the standoff and case.

The smaller standoff (blue circle) between the Caps and "A" key however, is higher and goes through the PCB so the plate sits on top, that's why a hole there is needed. If no new holes are placed, then you just simply have to file that standoff so the PCB rests on top of it.

Filco case for comparison

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 02:01:21 »
That was not my experience just now when I test fit the phantom into the QFR case. I'll try it again (I hope you're right) but I don't think it's workable.

Good to know you two are being thorough as always.
---
Edit: after some careful measuring, it looks like the "bump" for the screw hole is level with where the PCB will sit, so all you should have to do is deal with that standoff. I'll edit my earlier post to reflect this.

This is pretty great news. I thought that screw hole would adversely impact things for QFR owners like me.

Side note: What size wire should I use to repair/replace PCB traces? I broke the internal USB connector off the back of my QFR PCB (Stupid one-sided nonsense!) and now I seed to solder new wires from the controller to it. Also, is stranded or solid core better for this sort of thing? Feel free to PM me so this doesn't get off track.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 January 2013, 02:12:36 by dorkvader »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #352 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 02:12:14 »
If you try to test the phantom PCB fit with the CM case right now, it's not going to work because of the small standoff near the Caplock.  The larger top standoff (where the screw goes into) however will be fine for the phantom because it doesn't need to go through the PCB. This pic below shows that 4 smaller standoff going straight through the PCB, but that large one is still below the PCB. The hole there is only for the single standoff from the top cover to come through and screwed down. You actually don't need it to the screwed down.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 02:18:00 »
Side note: What size wire should I use to repair/replace PCB traces? I broke the internal USB connector off the back of my QFR PCB (Stupid one-sided nonsense!) and now I seed to solder new wires from the controller to it. Also, is stranded or solid core better for this sort of thing? Feel free to PM me so this doesn't get off track.
Wire size that's 24AWG or finer. Either solid core or stranded should be ok. Stranded might be easier to work with, but if you have too much slack after soldering, it'll flop around in there so just make you don't have too much excess wire in there. Solid core will stay put even with a little bit of excess wire. I repaired a diode trace with solid core, haven't tried stranded yet.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 January 2013, 03:06:35 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #354 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 06:18:36 »
Great photos =) I'm saving those away...

Designing a keyboard PCB really isn't too hard. It gets a bit tricky combining different layout options in the same package. There is a TON of different coordinates to keep track of... And measuring the case and original PCB also takes some care. And figuring out where to stow away the Teensy =P You don't really need to know much about electronics - I sure didn't ; )

And then there is of course the task of littering the PCB with easter eggs and tributes. I had a lot of time to do this while no-one was taking on all the practical aspects of running a group buy. And there is a lot of spare room on a keyboard PCB =D

I would highly recommend KiCAD. It takes a bit to learn but it is really powerful, and looks like it had a lot more work put into it than that freepcb program. KiCAD sure has some quirks, but there is also help to get online. I had a design guide back in the old GH days, and I sort of started one on the deskthority wiki, but that is far from finished...
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 January 2013, 06:34:38 by bpiphany »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 07:53:14 »
DorkVader -- for what it's worth, OpenDNS won't allow me to see the photos you posted because it has the hosting site listed as a phishing site. Just thought you should know.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 08:01:52 »
This makes me excited for the camo QFR I got in a trade from Ovoxo. That's definitely taking a Phantom now! Thanks for all the great work, gents.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #357 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:22:21 »
bavman, If it is not too late, i wanted to add an extra Teensy to my order (making total = 3)

Offline bavman

« Reply #358 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:47:25 »
No problem.

Also google doc sheet is updated as of now

Offline Soulpyre

« Reply #359 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:53:43 »
Sorry for the last minute order, I tried to resist but gave in. =X
TX 1800 - 62g Clears
KMAC LE - GON's Nerd PCB 62g Clears
KPAD - 62g Clears
KBT Race - Browns, Ducky Shine 4 - Browns

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: [Collecting Orders] Phantom PCB R2
« Reply #360 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 00:02:29 »
Either on par or a tad higher than KMACs.

It makes me sad that we are doing a GB for such a nice PCB but there is no high quality case to go with it to compete with other custom boards. Though thank you guys for working hard on the PCB GB, plates, services etc. I'm looking forward to pictures of everyone's customs.

Don't worry. It's in the works...

Can you see if there is a stainless steel option for a case?  I'll pay extra.
i want SS too

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 00:06:13 »
Also if anyone is interested i took some i quality shots and scans of the phantom PCB their in my google drive

Offline bavman

« Reply #362 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 00:43:02 »
And were closed! Invoices should start going on in the next couple days

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: [Collecting Orders] Phantom PCB R2
« Reply #363 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 00:52:19 »
change the title of the thread ;)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #364 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 01:17:31 »
Where can 7bit plates be acquired?
SmallFry! <3

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #365 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 01:23:11 »
What do want from the 7bit plate that PRF125 doesn't have? If you're going to say the bottom row, make sure you plan carefully and you really want it. I bought the original 7bit plate but couldn't find a use for it because of that bottom row. I have one, so I'll offer mine up for grabs when time comes for all the plate stuff.

Profosist didn't find it practical either, that's why that bottom row was modified to his own layout.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2013, 01:25:16 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 01:29:58 »
Prf125? I would like the 7bit bottom row and numpad. Is there one similar to it but better than that being offered?
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Re: [Orders Closed] Phantom PCB R2
« Reply #367 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 01:35:12 »
Just looked at the dt wiki. The 125 is the standard modifiers with the larger numpad right? Does that many of you not like 7bit modifier? I could see it being useful for gaming or macro keys? Is 7bit that bad?
SmallFry! <3

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #368 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 01:35:58 »
When do we have to pay?

Offline metafour

« Reply #369 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 03:09:47 »
When do we have to pay?

I'd say when you get the invoice you should pay it within 24 hours.

Offline m_enanos

• tbb
« Reply #370 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 06:00:55 »
just wondering, what makes this custom made keyboards that special? Fully programmable? Built quality?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #371 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 06:03:27 »
It makes you more geeky. Own one, then you can get rid of all your branded keyboards.
SmallFry! <3

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #372 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 06:58:13 »
just wondering, what makes this custom made keyboards that special? Fully programmable? Built quality?

What makes it special is whatever you want to be special about it. You put it in the case you want, give it what cable you want, put keys where you want them and make them do what you want, put what switches you want on it, decide if it's gonna be PCB or plate mounted. It's your keyboard, it's just as special as you are.

Not to mention it's pretty cool to be able to say that it's unbranded. Someones asks "What keyboard is that?" you answer "Mine." Each Phantom is completely unique. Though to be honest, most of us will probably be doing standard 87-key layouts. Myself included.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #373 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 10:41:49 »

What makes it special is whatever you want to be special about it. You put it in the case you want, give it what cable you want, put keys where you want them and make them do what you want, put what switches you want on it, decide if it's gonna be PCB or plate mounted. It's your keyboard, it's just as special as you are.

Not to mention it's pretty cool to be able to say that it's unbranded. Someones asks "What keyboard is that?" you answer "Mine." Each Phantom is completely unique. Though to be honest, most of us will probably be doing standard 87-key layouts. Myself included.

I'm going for an 86 key layout...preferably in an unbranded case. This has options. I'm also thinking about adding 5 macros above the arrow keys. Why I haven't seen anyone else think of this, I don't know, but having 5 macros that you can edit in the Teensy firmware is nice, and it saves space. If you're gonna have macros, might as well have them appeal to the aesthetic of the keyboard, right?
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #374 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 10:50:52 »
I'm going for an 86 key layout...preferably in an unbranded case. This has options. I'm also thinking about adding 5 macros above the arrow keys. Why I haven't seen anyone else think of this, I don't know, but having 5 macros that you can edit in the Teensy firmware is nice, and it saves space. If you're gonna have macros, might as well have them appeal to the aesthetic of the keyboard, right?

Support my plate design in the IC! Link It has a 1.0-unit key to the right of the 1.75-unit R_SHIFT, for use as Fn-key. Bottom row is 1.50-unit mods with 7x spacebar (like 86-key). Split BackSpace. Then you get 2 more keys on the F-row, and the 5 keys above the cursor arrows. 8 extra keys!

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline bavman

« Reply #375 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 10:55:21 »
When do we have to pay?

I'll start sending invoices by the end of today, or tomorrow morning. I'd like everyone to try to pay as soon as possible, but in absolutely no more than 7 days.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #376 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 11:12:55 »
Just looked at the dt wiki. The 125 is the standard modifiers with the larger numpad right? Does that many of you not like 7bit modifier? I could see it being useful for gaming or macro keys? Is 7bit that bad?

I'm with you on this. I'm also hoping to get a 7bit plate with my phantom. I see it being useful for gaming so I can get some modifier keys under my thumb. On a standard keyboard I can really only hit two keys (space and alt). Those extra keys that the 7bit layout gives you look like a great way to increase your options.

Of course I've never used this layout but I don't see the down side other than a smaller space bar.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #377 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 12:24:17 »
What do want from the 7bit plate that PRF125 doesn't have? If you're going to say the bottom row, make sure you plan carefully and you really want it. I bought the original 7bit plate but couldn't find a use for it because of that bottom row. I have one, so I'll offer mine up for grabs when time comes for all the plate stuff.

Profosist didn't find it practical either, that's why that bottom row was modified to his own layout.

Prf125? I would like the 7bit bottom row and numpad. Is there one similar to it but better than that being offered?

I'm with you on this. I'm also hoping to get a 7bit plate with my phantom. I see it being useful for gaming so I can get some modifier keys under my thumb. On a standard keyboard I can really only hit two keys (space and alt). Those extra keys that the 7bit layout gives you look like a great way to increase your options.

Of course I've never used this layout but I don't see the down side other than a smaller space bar.

here are the new plates that WFD is talking about http://tinyurl.com/crus5ch

and yes I had 2 keyboards with the 7bit plate the bottom row was a pin in my ass so I gave it an ANSI standard bottom row, kwhich gives you all the advantages of the 7bit plate but without 4 spacebars (in my case)

yo ushould really think over what your going to use the extra keys in the biottom row for in my case it was nothing if yo really nthink youll use them I also have a extra original 7bit plate.

Also dont forget that you wont be able to find any space bars that small so youll be using standard keys which feel mighty weird on the thumb.

Offline metafour

« Reply #378 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 12:30:25 »
Although it looks like it from the PCB pics I just wanted to confirm whether or not we can use original Cherry 7x spacebars without modding the offset stems.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #379 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 12:36:49 »
Although it looks like it from the PCB pics I just wanted to confirm whether or not we can use original Cherry 7x spacebars without modding the offset stems.
From what I can tell the PCB supports 5 different layouts without any modding, and 1.50x mods (which use 7x Spacebars) are definently supported.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline metafour

« Reply #380 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 12:39:02 »
From what I can tell the PCB supports 5 different layouts without any modding, and 1.50x mods (which use 7x Spacebars) are definently supported.

Right, but can we place the center spacebar switch in an offset position such that the 7x Cherry spacebars are directly compatible? How about the 6.25x offset spacebars?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #381 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 12:42:17 »

Right, but can we place the center spacebar switch in an offset position such that the 7x Cherry spacebars are directly compatible? How about the 6.25x offset spacebars?
pertaining the plate supports it, the PCB does for sure.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2013, 12:45:38 by TheProfosist »

Offline inteli722

« Reply #382 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 12:43:19 »

That I'm not sure about without modding
More

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #383 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 12:45:56 »
Cherry 7 Space has a centered stem
Cherry 6.25 Space has an off centered stem (cannot fit on Filco, Ducky, CM etc).

Yes you will be able to make Cherry compatible Phantoms if you build it the right way.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #384 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:23:41 »
And the current offerings of phansi150 and phiso150 plates support original cherry, correct?

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #385 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:29:52 »
Cherry 6.25 Space has an off centered stem (cannot fit on Filco, Ducky, CM etc).

Yes you will be able to make Cherry compatible Phantoms if you build it the right way.

I thought Filco used 6.26 Space?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #386 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:38:13 »

Filco, etc. use a standard 6.25-unit spacebar with a centered stem. Cherry 6.25-unit spacebars have an off-centered center stem, thus making them incompatible with "modern" keyboards. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #387 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:41:44 »
I support you supporting jdcarpe's plate. I would love one of those.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #388 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:42:41 »
And the current offerings of phansi150 and phiso150 plates support original cherry, correct?
Yeah. they use the original 1.50x mods from days of yore, so they use the spacebar from days of yore (measuring 7x. make sure it's a 7x spacebar. Wish they made them in metal. great way to add to the look of an aluminum cased keyboard with red caps.)
More

Offline nebo

« Reply #389 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:45:28 »
All this talk of other layouts is making me want to use the full right hand column. Only thing stopping me is getting a good case that supports it and proper keys. Have some nice DS on the way so I wouldn't want to use WASD on the remaining 5.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #390 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:50:17 »
I am seriously consider taking a dremel to my litster case...

Offline inteli722

« Reply #391 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:51:00 »
All this talk of other layouts is making me want to use the full right hand column. Only thing stopping me is getting a good case that supports it and proper keys. Have some nice DS on the way so I wouldn't want to use WASD on the remaining 5.
I know i'm using the full right column, but it's just adding a few programmable keys. If there was an extra row, then I would go numberpad, but there isn't. Plus I need my Insert/delete combo.
More

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #392 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:51:20 »
PUT THE DREMEL DOWN, MOOSE!

If you're going to hack away at it, I'll just buy it from you and send you a Filco case or something...

in memoriam

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #393 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:52:04 »

Filco, etc. use a standard 6.25-unit spacebar with a centered stem. Cherry 6.25-unit spacebars have an off-centered center stem, thus making them incompatible with "modern" keyboards. :)

I thought the Cherry was just reference to the profile. 

I ordered two aluminum spacebars from feng here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38703.0

I ordered the cherry 6.25, did I order the wrong part?  I want to put these on my Filco and Ducky that both use the same SB.

I also want an aluminum SB to fit the phantom that I'm building.  Which one should I buy for this?  In the interest check, I think I ordered the first two plates.
Which plate should I order if I want to be able to put standard keys on it?  I'm not against custom layouts, and I think it would be cool.  I just want to be able to put keycaps on my keyboarrd. 

For all you guys that are making non standard layouts, where do you plan on getting keys for your boards?  the only small SB I've seen is on the Leopold 700.

Thanks

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #394 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:55:31 »
For the purpose of feng's GB, "Cherry" refers to the profile height.

For an ANSI150 plate, you need a 7x spacebar. For ANSI125, you need 6.25x.

in memoriam

Offline metafour

« Reply #395 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:57:15 »
PUT THE DREMEL DOWN, MOOSE!

If you're going to hack away at it, I'll just buy it from you and send you a Filco case or something...

+1

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #396 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 14:07:24 »
I really like the case. I tried talking to litster and seeing if it might be possible to have just one top layer created in the layout I'm looking for, but he is really busy and isn't interested in doing so. And that's fine and understandable. But I'm really looking at using that case for the Phantom I want to build...

Offline nebo

« Reply #397 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 14:13:53 »
Would he consider giving his files of the original case? I know there was some drama with MKC and him about copying designs.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #398 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 14:22:20 »
Would he consider giving his files of the original case? I know there was some drama with MKC and him about copying designs.
Most likely not, people have asked already

Offline pasph

« Reply #399 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 15:33:38 »
Someone knows if HPE cases are compatible with Phantom PCB/Plate?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"