Author Topic: Favorite type of printing?  (Read 3092 times)

Offline kardinal

Favorite type of printing?
« on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 15:12:36 »
Hey everyone,

Just curious on what your preferences are for key caps! Do you prefer engraved caps, blank caps, or laser printed caps etc?
And why?
Das Keyboard Professional - Mx Blues
CM Storm QFR - Mx Browns

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
Re: Favorite type of printing?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 15:23:37 »
I picked up some old dyesub Cherry PBT keycaps from a typewriter a few months ago, I've had them on my daily driver since then.  Even new doubleshots feel "sticky" by comparison, although sometimes they're not too bad; I know my own hands / chemistry / whatever play into that ever so slightly, but the PBT keycaps have been consistently smooth and frictionless.  I'm almost a little concerned about finding another set before I wear these down. :)

Cherry font all the way 'cause that jank just looks nice, yo.

Oh yeah, and sharp corners.  Never know when you're going to need to pop off a few caps to shank a fool.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 18:45:14 »
Since I use old IBM gear almost exclusively, I consider dye-sub PBT to be the standard by which all else is measured.

Doubleshots look great, but I HATE slick keys.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline kardinal

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 19:44:35 »
Yeah dyesubs look amazing... but they're pretty pricey.
As of right now, I'm deciding on a new set of key caps for my quickfire rapid (gray case).
I'm eyeing the kbc white printed PBT key cap set. But I don't know if I should get engraved or lasered.
Any opinions?
Or if you all have another set that you think would look nice with this keyboard, please recommend.
CM Storm QFR - Mx Browns

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 20:57:22 »
Just curious on what your preferences are for key caps! Do you prefer engraved caps, blank caps, or laser printed caps etc?
And why?
I prefer not lasered because lasering makes a bumpy feel.
I prefer not engraved because engraving makes a bumpy feel.

If a key is going to be lasered it should be lasered on the front of the key where ur fingers do not have to feel it.

A key should be smooth and beautiful.  Not rough and bumpy.

I prefer only dyesub on top or front, or doubleshot on top or front for a smoooth feel.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline kardinal

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 21:58:57 »
Sorry, I'm rather new to this. But could anyone care to explain which one is better ABS or PBT?
I know that WASD key caps are ABS. Which one do you all prefer?
CM Storm QFR - Mx Browns

Offline TwistedMentat

• It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:44:23 »
Everything you need to know for getting started with mechanical keyboards can be found in this guide.  It's a concise, basic reference regarding keyboard terminology, the popular Cherry MX Key Switches, construction materials & printing methods for key caps, as well as lots of other juicy stuff!  Bookmark it... you'll likely be visiting it repeatedly in the future.

For more in-depth information, the Geekhack Wiki was once a great tome of data, but sadly, it was lost when the site got hacked.  Nowadays your best bet for keyboarding details is the Wiki over at DeskThority, which I've found quite helpful.  Prolly wanna bookmark that one, too.  There you'll find that other plastics can be used for key caps, but they are more rare.

It seems the general consensus among keyboard geeks is that dye-sublimated PBT caps are best.  The "thick" variety, imported from China, are expensive but favored for their hefty feel.  Double-shot PBT is nearly impossible to manufacture due to the expansion rates of the material at various temperatures, but Signature Plastics (and probably other companies) are working on it now.  ABS key caps are lighter in weight and tend to develop "shine" more quickly than other materials, but it is a more versatile plastic.  A good balance of cost vs. customization is to get a set of nice PBT key caps for the keys most commonly used for typing (the alphabet and punctuation), then decorate the rest of your board with novelty key caps made of ABS or other material.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 December 2012, 23:46:11 by TwistedMentat »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 01:24:25 »
Since I use old IBM gear almost exclusively, I consider dye-sub PBT to be the standard by which all else is measured.

Doubleshots look great, but I HATE slick keys.

Almost exactly the same for me, but I still haven't given up the ghost on cherry yet. Dyesub PBT all the way.

TwistedMentat, It seems to be a tossup between Doubleshot ABS and Dyesub PBT (as to the best). Some people believe that the legends on Doubleshot ABS are more crisp, and that PBT dyesubs are blurry. I think Dyesub PBTs are excellent, but the other point of view has merit.
Also, I believe Vortex is working on DS PBT, but like all Vortex's cool stuff, it appears to be vaporware.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 03:35:53 »
TwistedMentat, It seems to be a tossup between Doubleshot ABS and Dyesub PBT (as to the best). Some people believe that the legends on Doubleshot ABS are more crisp, and that PBT dyesubs are blurry. I think Dyesub PBTs are excellent, but the other point of view has merit.

Yep this is me. For me, nothing beats doubleshot Cherry font legends. They're so clear and crisp.

However, while I don't own any thick PBT keys yet (but will have in a couple of days), I would be willing to sacrifice the clarity of doubleshots for the PBT texture and feel.

Of course the best combination would be doubleshot PBT, which we might hopefully see done on a larger scale sometime in the future. However the sad thing is it is almost a certainty that the holy grail - doubleshot Cherry legend thick PBT keys - will not be produced anytime within the next couple of years (unless GMK somehow surprises us, which I highly doubt).
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 December 2012, 03:38:33 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 10:12:30 »
ABS pad printing  :D

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 11:37:10 »
Blanks, makes the shine less noticeable.

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 01:55:05 »

Yep this is me. For me, nothing beats doubleshot Cherry font legends. They're so clear and crisp.

However, while I don't own any thick PBT keys yet (but will have in a couple of days), I would be willing to sacrifice the clarity of doubleshots for the PBT texture and feel.

Of course the best combination would be doubleshot PBT, which we might hopefully see done on a larger scale sometime in the future. However the sad thing is it is almost a certainty that the holy grail - doubleshot Cherry legend thick PBT keys - will not be produced anytime within the next couple of years (unless GMK somehow surprises us, which I highly doubt).
I've had some thick PBT for a while (Remember the FMA GB?) and I was indeed impressed.
Blanks, makes the shine less noticeable.
I've found that it's more material that determines visibility of shine than printing. For example, Blank PBT or POM would take ages to shine up and is therefore preferable.

ABS pad printing  :D
So you don't feel bad about replacing them?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 01:58:03 »
When I first started, engraved thin PBT, then SP double shots, now I'm really digging cherry double shots. But I do have two sets of thick PBTs coming soon, so we'll see if I still like cherry DS after I get them ^___^
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 04:23:36 »
That one they use in the black on red. It looks really nice.

Type of plastic? Heavy pbt, and I missed out on that blue on white gb!!! Ugh.

ABS texture is nice. Shine is okay too, I'd just have to wash it a little.

Profile matters a lot certain boards feel better with certain profiles.
SmallFry! <3

Offline darksakul

• If it is not broken fix it until it is.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 08:58:14 »
I prefer Double Shots with Dye Sub a distant second, laser would b3 my 3rd choice.
Pad Printing is the devil, I rather do stickers than Pad printing.
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Offline bardomudo

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 10:50:34 »
So you don't feel bad about replacing them?

I was just kidding. That being said, though, the pad printing on my PBT Oni keys are not that bad to be honest. And it doesn't seem it will wear off soon.

I will take dyesub every day on PBT, but I don't take things too seriously and right now I'm even using them since they look so great.