Author Topic: [IC] $10 Topre Keychain  (Read 56844 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: [IC] $10 Topre Keychain
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:03:19 »
I still be willing to do the bases of them out of alum or SS to save someone on tons of drilling.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:10:54 »
I should be grabbing a topre keychain, not confirmed whether its original or improvised, soon ;D

The blue/red ones that are big $$$?

Not confirmed which one is it, but I need to check and grab one ;)

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 13:50:09 »
He doesn't exactly explain where to get the Topres switches from, nor the clear plastic base, nor the rubber bit either.

Having a drill press would make it easier, but with a steady hand you could mount the housing in a vise and use a hand drill.

For anyone to attempt this we'd probably need to start by buying a Topre keyboard ...
I should visit more often :-)

Didn't know peeps over here were working on those Topre Testers as well.

I got the rubber bit, the topre switches and springs from a perfectly fine Topre Realforce 103UB 55grams.
This one got its head cut off  : http://www.mrinterface.com/keyboardsims/realforce103ub/index.html

If you want the CAD designs for the acrylic base plates , you are more than welcome to PM me and I'll send them. One thing I would like to add is a small extrusion with a hole in it so it could be  worked into a true keychain :-)

For those who can't wait to try a topre : I'll be sending my next iteration of the topre tester around soon. Check the try before you buy thread over on DT.

Regards.
Sirclickalot aka Mrinterface
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:16:28 »
That's kinda what I suspected.  That poor Topre, sliced into little pieces :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 17:00:50 »
I should visit more often :-)

Didn't know peeps over here were working on those Topre Testers as well.

I got the rubber bit, the topre switches and springs from a perfectly fine Topre Realforce 103UB 55grams.
This one got its head cut off  : http://www.mrinterface.com/keyboardsims/realforce103ub/index.html

If you want the CAD designs for the acrylic base plates , you are more than welcome to PM me and I'll send them. One thing I would like to add is a small extrusion with a hole in it so it could be  worked into a true keychain :-)

For those who can't wait to try a topre : I'll be sending my next iteration of the topre tester around soon. Check the try before you buy thread over on DT.

Regards.
Sirclickalot aka Mrinterface

:0 welcome MrInterface to my humble thread. As lightly mentioned above, I've found a source for switches, springs, and caps. I just need to get off my lazy bum and get the acrylic cut >.>

As for the CAD drawing, I have access to a laser cutter at school, and apparently it takes Illustrator files to cut (not sure if it's Cad compatible?), so I just need to get an Illustrator file made, and get some acrylic, and talk to the guy who I know has access and has used the cutter before. I also do plan on making the file such that there is a hole in the plate for a key chain to attach.

Also, you never replied to my email I sent through your site ;_;

Short update. I tried to get the acrylic cut this weekend, but he's going fishing, so he'll be out of town.... maybe next week... sometime... eventually...

Offline SirClickAlot

• http://www.mrinterface.com
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 03:09:08 »

Also, you never replied to my email I sent through your site ;_;

Argh!!!!

I did not set up my catch-all email after I updated my site :(

So, that's the reason why I never answered : I have an enormous amount of email on my mrinterface mailbox. I'll sift through it and try to answers yours.
Thanx for pointing this out to me. Should have checked if it worked before I launched the new site.

Good luck with cutting those acrylic plates! At first I did those by hand ( with a dremel ) and they were only used for my first proto's. All in all I think I waisted about 10 switches before I got the design right....
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 January 2013, 03:38:42 by SirClickAlot »
[Succes is when you get what you want
Happiness is when you want what you get]

Optimize your interfaces : http://www.mrinterface.com
Currently using( not necessarily my favorite : I iterate over my collection many times ):
Filco White Majestouch Mx Brown DS White on Black.
Looking for : New and interesting interfaces. Working on :www.deskthority.net

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:41:24 »
I would be in for atleast one of these, possibly 1 of each spring force dependant on price and availability.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 07:49:14 »
Argh!!!!

I did not set up my catch-all email after I updated my site :(

So, that's the reason why I never answered : I have an enormous amount of email on my mrinterface mailbox. I'll sift through it and try to answers yours.
Thanx for pointing this out to me. Should have checked if it worked before I launched the new site.

Good luck with cutting those acrylic plates! At first I did those by hand ( with a dremel ) and they were only used for my first proto's. All in all I think I waisted about 10 switches before I got the design right....

:)) it's fine, as I found a reliable source of Topre parts in the US like... 6 hours after I sent that email, I wasn't super worried about waiting for your response.

At least hopefully now you'll have your emails forwarded so your email queue doesn't build up again.

I just hope I'm able to find enough time this semester to go get the acrylic cut... school is tedious work.

Offline netdevil

« Reply #108 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 08:23:15 »
Interested! Any updates?  ;D

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 09:04:18 »
Can I haz keychain naow?
Looking for CC's!

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #110 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 19:57:07 »
no

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 19:57:19 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 22:46:13 »
I know ... Soon™
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 13:23:04 »

Offline cobraj

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 13:33:55 »
Too late to say I WANT ONE (PLEASE)?  :D

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:06:55 »
no :)

Offline cobraj

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:45:41 »

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 01:13:44 »
Would be in for one. I'll try and stay in the loop as far as the GB goes. Thanks for putting this together!
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 20:28:18 »
I would certainly be interested in one of these as well.

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 08:39:42 »
Id really really like this to happen would def pay 10

Offline Permeability

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 19:21:48 »
Interested   :)
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 21:49:04 »
I would be down. Only thing keeping me from buying one is not being able to try it out first.

Offline Plater

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 22:21:44 »
Count me in for 1 please

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 03:37:01 »
I'd be keen for a Topre keychain :)

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 16 February 2013, 04:07:43 »
Would love one.

Offline Plater

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 06:53:58 »
I would definitely be interested in getting some.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 11:45:33 »
I'll get one when available.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 17:48:18 »
i'm in for two, one of max and one of minimal forces.
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 19:41:52 »
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE.

I finally got to play with a laser today!

The ones on the left were a failure for one reason or another. infact that black one used to be clear, turns out I bought the wrong kind of plastic. But thankfully there was a scrap piece of this white plexi that the laser cut just fine. So that gave us enough scrap to whip up a few prototypes and tweak the piece that sticks out so that it fits!

Now, we must wait for the screws/drillbit. Hopefully I'll get those pieces in Friday (tomorrow!) and I'll assemble the three I have enough parts for (actually only two, unless i can find that one piece. hmmmmmm).

And I'll sell/auction off the two extra prototypes to help further the development!

K guize. later.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 19:44:15 »
Wow.. sick. They look good. Good job
I love Elzy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 19:52:09 »
Oooo lasers, it's looking good kid...real good

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #131 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 02:38:48 »
Cannot wait, very exciting.

Offline netdevil

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 19:28:41 »
Wallet ready  ;D

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 22:29:55 »
First batch of Prototypes made and up in classifieds!

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 21:53:48 »
'tay so. Here's some unoffical offical pricing breakdowns. for the party!

Line ItemCost
Topre Switch$1.50
Topre Cap$1
Acrylic Base$1
Screws$.50
Packaging$1
Misc.$2
Basic Total$8

Now... There will obviously be some options, one of which will be a "no-cap" option, or an oddly shaped cap (such as modifiers, shifts, things of that sort), If you opt for an oddly shaped cap (or no cap) it will obviously be reflected on your total price (-$1 for no-cap, -$.50 for a derp cap)

Another option, will be personal laser engraving, since I am working so closely with my acrylic supplier, I can pretty much put anything you want on the bottom of your keychain for the low price of $.50-$2 extra (such as the weight, your nick, or some custom graphic).

Now onto shipping... For anything CONUS, it will be a flat $5.15 for any size order (Small Flat-Rate box through PP) because it's just easy to use. International... That's another whole can of worms... Obviously I'd like to just ship everything in the same Flat-Rate Priority box, but that would jump to something like $26 for international shipments. However, there is always the "First-Class" option which is incredibly slow, unreliable, and cheap, but this has to be worked out on a per-case basis, since the rate varies from country to country.

Incase you're wondering about the Packaging/Misc. costs. The Packaging will be the cost for a little baggie for each keychain, bubble wrap, tape, and package filler (mebbe). Misc. is effectively my "cut" from the sale, along with a slight warranty type thing if your chain ever gets broke or something from poor craftsmanship or something (Obviously there is no explicit warranty, but this small extra charge will help the few people who just might get a dud).

The way I'm thinking of doing the sale, is have a pre-sale sort of thing, where everyone submits their orders (custom designs and what-not) and then pay once everything has been completely made and is up to the quality desired of the buyer.

Also, as of this moment, I have two rounds planned, the first round will be purely 45g switches, and the later (possibly months later) round will contain 30g, 35g, 40g, and (mebbe) 45g switches.

Okso lemme know what you guys think of this. Obviously none of my ramblings will even begin to be finalized until I get this second round of prototyping down, and have given the prototype testers enough time to ensure that these switches are at least halfway decent quality.

tl;dr, title should be changed to "$7-$10 custom topre keychains"

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 21:57:42 »
How about space bar cap!
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 21:58:22 »
How about space bar cap!

if my supplier gets me one, you'd save $.50 to get the spacebar cap :))

Offline netdevil

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 21:59:02 »
Group buy!! Take my money!!! ;D

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 22:03:34 »
Group buy!! Take my money!!! ;D

Haha, This wouldn't really be a GB since I can't really promise any lower prices on a large order.

It'll probably go up in classifieds like the sleeved cable guys where you fill out an "order form" and I'll make it to spec :)

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 22:07:29 »
The wallethack is strong in this one... Seriously very excited, holding off on buying a Topre until I try the keychain. Do you have a more solid date for release?

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 22:11:41 »
The wallethack is strong in this one... Seriously very excited, holding off on buying a Topre until I try the keychain. Do you have a more solid date for release?

Nope, waiting on supplies for everything to come in.

And like I mentioned, I really want to get another prototype round done, then wait a week or so before beginning to take orders.

Assuming I get topre parts in friday or saturday, I should be able to do another quick weekend prototype run. and if that works out fine. HOPEFULLY NON SOLID MOSTLY BS ANSWER, would be March 6th I'd start taking orders, and get the first acrylic bases cut the next day (Thursday afternoons are the only time Mr. Acrylic and I are free to get the job done)

So. Assuming everything sails smoothly... You'll get your keychain the second week of march :P

Offline netdevil

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 01:28:05 »
Groupbuys , classified just take my money already  :)) Ohh that seems soon enough lol

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 09:04:50 »
I'm liking the first prototype so far. My fiance pressed it a couple times and absolutely hated it. I can see why some people would absolutely love it, and while others would ultimately come back to MX boards.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 10:45:44 »
I am skeptical it will feel the same as pressing a key on a real Topre board.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 18:27:27 »
I am skeptical it will feel the same as pressing a key on a real Topre board.

And you should very well be. Apparently even the genuine topre keychains have that same problem. It's simply incomparable, something one-off on a keychain, and an entire board of mounted switches. This obviously won't be anywhere near a legit topre board, but it can help give some people an idea of how a topre switch feels, especially in comparison to the ever so popular MX.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 18:38:49 »
To me though, it doesn't matter - I still want one just as bad!

I just want a legitimate vessel for my clack  :D Also nice to be able to show people what exactly is inside the switch - that's why I didn't go for the prototypes. I want that clear acrylic base.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 18:44:59 »
To me though, it doesn't matter - I still want one just as bad!

I just want a legitimate vessel for my clack  :D Also nice to be able to show people what exactly is inside the switch - that's why I didn't go for the prototypes. I want that clear acrylic base.

You do know the prototypes come with a final version free of charge (sans shipping) :rolleyes:

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 18:55:18 »
Right, probably a good deal. Only need one though, and hopefully it will be under 20 bucks (speaking realistically here, there's always a wrench being thrown into the gears at some point)

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:05:32 »
Right, probably a good deal. Only need one though, and hopefully it will be under 20 bucks (speaking realistically here, there's always a wrench being thrown into the gears at some point)

Check out my post above http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38541.msg810176#msg810176

At worst it would be $15 to get one shipped to California, and that would have some pretty awesome customization on the bottom :P

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 19:56:26 »