Author Topic: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)  (Read 130640 times)

Offline roads

Re: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 06:44:17 »
Please someone help me open the side part with the thumb-stick without breaking it, I cant find the trick. I need to mod an analogue Joystick in there.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #201 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:10:01 »
Please someone help me open the side part with the thumb-stick without breaking it, I cant find the trick. I need to mod an analogue Joystick in there.

I think that's going to be hard without breaking something. First you'll need to disassemble the main part of the orbweaver so that you can disconnect the cable for the thumb pad, working with the cable attached would be a pain.

CPTBadAss' thread has good explanations and pictures for the main part
For the thumb bit you'll have to unscrew every visible screw, then pry off the rubber pad underneat to reveal more screws.
The bottom part is snap-fit, so after you've gotten all the screws out you'll want to carefully pry it off with a small-ish flathead screwdriver or something.

That's about as far as I got in my disassembly, if you want to open it more then I would suggest that you just carefully try to pry it open here and there, and make sure to keep an eye out for screws.
But as I said, I think that's going to be difficult without something breaking.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #202 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:15:27 »
Yeah I left that part together, I didn't even try to open it up. Might be another snap fit though, I didn't really check it.

Offline roads

« Reply #203 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:23:37 »
Do you guys think there is something under the metal sticker? I did remove all visible screws and it wont pop off. It really feels if another hidden screw holds it in place.
I dont thinks its possible to remove the metal sticky around the stick without damaging it.
I need to get in there dammit.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:28:12 »
Do you guys think there is something under the metal sticker? I did remove all visible screws and it wont pop off. It really feels if another hidden screw holds it in place.
I dont thinks its possible to remove the metal sticky around the stick without damaging it.
I need to get in there dammit.

What metal sticker? You mean the metal plate at the bottom of the thumb bit? There are some screws under the rubber pad that you need to get to if you want it to come off.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:28:37 »

There's probably screws here now that I look at the pictures.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:30:23 »
Show Image

There's probably screws here now that I look at the pictures.

Yeap. the metal bit continues under the rubber pad where there are 3 more screws holding the metal bit, then there should be one or two more under that again.

Edit:
BE CAREFUL, the metal bit is what's holding the sliding bit in place, so once the metal bit comes loose the slidy thing just pops off, and you don't really want to lose the small-ish spring inside.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:31:20 »
With our powers combined vun, we can open this Orbweaver! :P

* CPTBadAss high fives vun

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:33:40 »
With our powers combined vun, we can open this Orbweaver! :P

* CPTBadAss high fives vun

Hi5!

Although I didn't get around to doing much with mine; it took me ages to desolder a single switch no matter how much leaded solder I added, so I gave up and figured I'd leave it for some other time.

I did keep the ball-bearing though, but I wasn't sure how to properly place it when re-assembling it, so now it's stuck in the middle screw hole shown in your pic, preventing the screw from going in. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to be.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:35:04 »
Pretty sure its supposed to ride in the groove in the metal arm. But I can't test that since I lost mine T_T

Offline roads

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:36:16 »
I want to put an analogue Joystick beside the digital thumbpad one. The rubber removed there are some screws, the metal you mean comes off. The rest is a plastic hull that wont open. The metal sticker I mean is on top around the thumb stick. A friend from Finland can make it work with a teensy on PC and over XIM to Xbox/PS.
On monday I could do an X-ray of the thumb piece maybe at least to see if there are still screws in there.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:37:43 »
Yeah I did put it in the groove, but it seems that it's very specific about where in the groove it needs to be. TBH you're probably better off without it, trying to properly seat it is a nightmare.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:40:21 »
I want to put an analogue Joystick beside the digital thumbpad one. The rubber removed there are some screws, the metal you mean comes off. The rest is a plastic hull that wont open. The metal sticker I mean is on top around the thumb stick. A friend from Finland can make it work with a teensy on PC and over XIM to Xbox/PS.
On monday I could do an X-ray of the thumb piece maybe at least to see if there are still screws in there.

Do post pics, that'll make it easier to see. There should be some screws in the plastic, the plastic is also snap-fit that you'll need a flathead screwdriver to pry off.

Edit: Or maybe the snap-fit plastic is covering the screws and you need to pry that off first. I can't remember, this is why you should post pics :/

Offline roads

« Reply #213 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:41:25 »
I will I get the Orb again tomoorow. I gave up and sent it back some months ago. So this is second try.

Offline roads

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:42:59 »

That’s where the stick will go to, I believe it could fit. That’s also the metal sticker I mean. I will try to get it of with ethanol.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:47:28 »
Try and pry it off. It's probably all press/snap fit from here on out and you'll have to figure out how to take it apart. Try prying along the seams.

Offline roads

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:53:32 »
I did, I went between the plastic parts with a thin screwdriver, the force applied was so huge I can only imagine a screw is holding it. Normally if you pry open a part it stays this one snapped back. Must be a screw, but where?

Offline roads

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:54:56 »
This is btw the joystick mod for the XIm, it now works with a Teensy 3 also.

http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=7745.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:55:11 »
I did, I went between the plastic parts with a thin screwdriver, the force applied was so huge I can only imagine a screw is holding it. Normally if you pry open a part it stays this one snapped back. Must be a screw, but where?

Are you sure? I spent a day saying that when I pulled off one of the plates. It was glued on tight.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:57:37 by CPTBadAss »

Offline roads

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 07:59:52 »
The plastic parts of the side part are not glued together I think I can get in between at several sides with a thin screwdriver.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #220 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 08:00:32 »
If and when you get it apart, can you take pictures? Or maybe a build log of your mod?

Offline roads

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 08:03:51 »
Yes I will, but If I cant open it, there will be no Mod.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #222 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 08:05:57 »
Ha you'll figure it out. I said the same thing when I started modding mine. You can try PMing melvang as well, he gave me some good pointers. When I get home I can take a look at mine again as well. Just bump this thread or PM me if you don't hear anything from me again.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #223 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 08:56:49 »
For the record I never got into that section of the piece.  All I had done was removed the entire thumb pod and the shell to mod the switches/leds
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline roads

« Reply #224 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 09:32:20 »
Its impenetrable. Kryptonite anyone?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #225 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 10:04:31 »
Its impenetrable. Kryptonite anyone?

When in doubt, C4
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline roads

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 10:19:45 »
I just dont want to get screwed :D (by a a hidden one)

Offline roads

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 11:17:06 »
no I wont open the side part, I dont know how I will just hotglue this on for the Teensy.

Offline roads

« Reply #228 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 07:48:49 »
Some disassembling pictures. I changed the stems to black and the springs to brown :D Ghetto reds. The blue are the worst keys my fingers ever touched btw, they feel cheap.
I was not able to harvest the leds I pulled them with some pliers while desoldering. The solder they used on the pcb is very bad to heat up.

Offline roads

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:36:01 »
This was the best I could do, it would take 50 more shots to position the device in the Orthopantomogramm. Its layer imaging and not really suitable. It needs a conventional x-ray that I dont have. I could go to a radiologist I know but it wont happen, too embarrassing. :D
You can see the metal plate with the round opening of the stick. As I thought there seem to be two screws in there going downward, upward in the picture. So that metal plate must be taken out. Only idea I have is put hotglue with a wire  on top and pull. A screwdriver would damage the plastic around the plate.

Offline roads

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 10:15:44 »
I won

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 10:18:36 »
See? I knew you'd figure it out :P.

Offline roads

« Reply #232 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 10:30:55 »
Yeah the force was strong in me LOL

Offline roads

« Reply #233 on: Sun, 17 November 2013, 04:27:47 »
Its done you can find the code that needs to be flashed on the teensy on the XIM forum. The analog mod is awesome.

Offline CYBER-NINJA

• The Grim Reaper is my Alter-Ego!!!
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 08:17:06 »
Hi All -

Got my Orb and although its great it does take some getting use too!!!  :))

I plan to mod mine and am wondering which LED's I need to get to change the keys colour? Can anyone recommend some for me please???

Thanks
:cool: Seduced by the Dark Side!!! :cool:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 08:22:06 »
I plan to mod mine and am wondering which LED's I need to get to change the keys colour? Can anyone recommend some for me please???

Check this out

Its done you can find the code that needs to be flashed on the teensy on the XIM forum. The analog mod is awesome.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Could you use that Teensy to reprogram the entire keyboard? Not just control that thumb button? I'd love to be able to get away from using Razer's software to reprogram keys.

Offline roads

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 08:27:33 »
Yeah you should contact W11ce on the XIM forum for that but there is no code done for it.

Offline CYBER-NINJA

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 14:52:35 »
@CPTBadAss - Thanks for that. Does the size of the LED's matter or will any fit???

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #238 on: Thu, 05 December 2013, 15:01:51 »
Thanks for that. Does the size of the LED's matter or will any fit?

Yes the size matters, 2x3x4mm square is the size I prefer.

Offline CYBER-NINJA

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:22:11 »

So which size is the correct size to get???

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 10:23:41 »

So which size is the correct size to get???

The ones that CPTBadAss mentioned are prefered among a lot of people and can be found in many colors on ebay.  The size that I used in my orbweaver was the 3mm round

Offline CYBER-NINJA

« Reply #241 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 18:03:08 »
The ones that CPTBadAss mentioned are prefered among a lot of people and can be found in many colors on ebay.  The size that I used in my orbweaver was the 3mm round
[/quote]

Great thanks for the clarification dude!!!  :thumb:

Offline cinnamoncider

• Thorpies are snappy
  • No clack; no life.
« Reply #242 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 02:31:12 »
I would get one of these if there's a wide of Cherry MX switches to choose from. Also, if it's also available in multi-color LEDs  :D

But still, I am satisfied in using mkbs.

Offline EpicBlob

« Reply #243 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 09:46:57 »
I was wondering if the keycaps can have o-rings put on them. I bought the regular version so noise might be an issue for me; do the modified keycaps not allow o-rings or will it be fine? Thanks!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #244 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 11:30:04 »
I was wondering if the keycaps can have o-rings put on them. I bought the regular version so noise might be an issue for me; do the modified keycaps not allow o-rings or will it be fine? Thanks!

O-rings should be fine, I don't have any to try with, but just from pulling a cap and looking at it it seems like the stem is just like any other MX stem. It's the edges of the caps that are weird.

Offline Ammo

« Reply #245 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 00:02:24 »
Have you seen this thing? It's not mechanical, but I think it might be a better choice than this thing.

I am on my 2nd one.  Both have now broken in the same place, the key below the trackball which I use in game as a jump key.  Perhaps I'm too hard on it but upon opening the key pad up I found that this key alone has a very bad design.  I love the key pad and now I'm in the process of replacing this key with something like a micro switch.  In my search I found this site. 

Offline LLNunez

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 18:04:17 »
I found this on youtube. This guy completed a Razer Orbweaver LED mod in bright red. Looks pretty sweet. I’m using his tutorial. Seems simple enough. Check it out:
list=UUNVzzWmdn4p0a1oBtT5qgqQ&feature=c4-overview

Offline MiR4i

« Reply #247 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 01:51:34 »
I found this on youtube. This guy completed a Razer Orbweaver LED mod in bright red. Looks pretty sweet. I’m using his tutorial. Seems simple enough. Check it out:
list=UUNVzzWmdn4p0a1oBtT5qgqQ&feature=c4-overview
That looks like a cool mod, but... are you sure you just happened to stumble upon it and then stumble upon this particular thread?  You say you found it, but @13:55 you can see the computer username Omar Lopez-Nunez, which is pretty similar to your own forum username.  If it's yours, just take credit for it. >_>

Offline rogas

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 11:39:56 »
Can anyone post a pic off the inside of the razer orbweaver thumb module plz ?

I would like to rebuild the whole thing to a RH device

Did a nostromo rebuild in the past ...

ty
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 March 2014, 11:42:16 by rogas »

Offline fedecucu

« Reply #249 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 01:29:48 »
I have a little problem with my orbweaber the key from 6 to 10 are die!!! any ideas??? (leds still work)