Author Topic: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)  (Read 130602 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 23:24:22 »
I want it for the analogue stick i much prefer it for movement.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 00:49:08 »
I wonder who will be the first person on geekhack to buy one of this and mod the swtiches to mx red/black/ergo clear  :P

Honestly blue is probably the worst choice for WASD actions lol.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 00:52:57 »
I wonder who will be the first person on geekhack to buy one of this and mod the swtiches to mx red/black/ergo clear  :P

Honestly blue is probably the worst choice for WASD actions lol.
i plan to i might swap the leds too not digging the green maybe orange or yellow? Will probably replace the keycaps as well maybe zinc?

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
Re: Re: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 02:58:11 »
i plan to i might swap the leds too not digging the green maybe orange or yellow? Will probably replace the keycaps as well maybe zinc?

What do you plan on swapping the switches to?

Orange/Yellow LEDs with zinc caps would be ridiculously awesome. Can't wait to see you do this.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline Lanx

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 03:19:03 »
as one of the few ppl that modded a n52 with cherry keys (the other guy is banned) i can tell you that it is damn comfortable. I'll go into a bit also
there's the belkin n52 and the razer up'd version called the n52te, aside from the "bling" they put on it, it also uses different programming/macro'ing software than the old belkin n52 and by a landslide opinion is worse than the old n52.

i'd modded 1 n52 with cherry keys and have 2 in storage and 1 on the wifes computer (it just sits there now that we don't play mmo's no more). The difference is amazing with the cherry keys and the non modded n52.

I also visit the ergonomics forum a lot and have modded my own boards and such, i would consider the ergonomics of the n52 to be top notch, and am in the camp that if they made a right handed version of the n52, that would be almost about the best type of split keyboard made.

i don't use my n52 for gaming at all, nope i use it for easy to program macro's for work. I'm an idiot with programming, i just am but with a nostromo i get by very well. And on the occasion when i play a FPS (i can't now i have motion sickness since i turned 30 a while ago, old age i guess) the nostromo is great.

with that said, is this awesome? well the original n52 cost 60 bucks(i bought a few used ones for 20 or so), you can still buy a n52te for 70?, so you gotta ask yourself, is 80bucks worth it for a few cherry keys? Since i only heard about the nostromo 3d mod, i would say yes it is, since no one seems to want to mod anything, and to be honest, the nostromo mod took me 2 or 3 hours? it was pretty simple, but if you want a numpad with cherry keys, this is your only option, you pay a premium.

Offline thp777

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 04:44:40 »
i could swear ive seen a keypad like this before somewhere thats was mechanical.

oh ya mine i made :P

sure as hell didnt cost anywhere near $135 for mine and mine has a 6dof joystick. using the nostromo electronics on this prototype.soft rest also solves the problem of being able to move up and hit higher keys.  and im still working on 3rd version with better asthetics.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 05:38:53 »
130 bucks for a ****ing keypad? Razer is ****ing crazy!

Razer synapses is some crazy ****.

Razer is probably as bad as Apple.  Synapses=icloud but worse.
SmallFry! <3

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 06:05:41 »
That price :O
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 09:33:24 »
I want something exactly like this, why did it have to be razer making it at a steep price?
I'll probably follow in the profs steps and mod it. Vintage blacks and UV LEDs.
No zinc caps though, novelty only!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 11:09:24 »
It cost more than black widow... serious WTF? Also is it my imagination, or are some of the keycap some weird shapes like trapezoid? If so that is very annoying make it impossible to replace them.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 12:18:56 »

What do you plan on swapping the switches to?

Orange/Yellow LEDs with zinc caps would be ridiculously awesome. Can't wait to see you do this.
either ergo's or vintage blacks

Offline luckynet

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 14:55:15 »
i could swear ive seen a keypad like this before somewhere thats was mechanical.

Show Image

sure as hell didnt cost anywhere near $135 for mine and mine has a 6dof joystick. using the nostromo electronics on this prototype.soft rest also solves the problem of being able to move up and hit higher keys.  and im still working on 3rd version with better asthetics.

what is the 3d connexion for?? doesnt look like a joypad ?? nvm mind 3dmouse looks cool.. never knew someting like that existed will prolly will get one.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2013, 15:06:32 by luckynet »
Realforce 104U - HHKB Pro 2 dental band - HHKB Pro 2 Hasu's bluetooth controller - CM novatouch silent mod - Royal Kludge Topre clones
Filco Magestouch 2 Brown - Duckyshine 9008s Brown - QFR white - Plum MX 96 Blue - KBT Race Red - SS 7G Black - Poker blue - ducky shine 69
IBM Model M SSK
Matias quiet pro - V60 matias clicky

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 17:03:16 »
**** this device. Synapse 2.0 required. "Saved in the cloud" is a complete load of bull. It's saved local - the only "cloud" part is that you CAN'T USE THE DEVICE AT ALL if you aren't online or if Razer's servers go down yet again. It is literally hardware DRM. The device is completely disabled if Synapse 2.0 can't call home every 60 seconds.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 23:10:46 »
Might consider when it gets heavily discounted.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 07:31:39 »
**** this device. Synapse 2.0 required. "Saved in the cloud" is a complete load of bull. It's saved local - the only "cloud" part is that you CAN'T USE THE DEVICE AT ALL if you aren't online or if Razer's servers go down yet again. It is literally hardware DRM. The device is completely disabled if Synapse 2.0 can't call home every 60 seconds.
What? Do you have anything to support this claim? Everything I have heard so far indicates that you only need to be online for the very first time setting it up, after that you don't need a connection.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 14:30:08 »
Never ever Razer again! Not even their hardware and software but how in ****ing hell do we let them get away with those prices!
SmallFry! <3

Offline jfb

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 14:16:57 »

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:29:20 »
That setup looks extremely uncomfortable and confusing.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 20:39:49 »
Yeah lol, how the hell would you even use that effectively  :eek:
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 23:33:01 »

Show Image

Holy ****, I never thought that you could use the SpacePilot like that. I use one at work but I've never seen it used in any other fashion. That's so cool

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 00:08:12 »
Before the page was completely loaded I said to myself, "It's going to be $130"

Sure enough, when the page loaded a split second later, it was $130. WTF Razer? You can buy a Das for that money, and spend $20 extra you can get a Filco!
Das and Filco don't sell keypads..
11327-0

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 00:12:45 »
Before the page was completely loaded I said to myself, "It's going to be $130"

Sure enough, when the page loaded a split second later, it was $130. WTF Razer? You can buy a Das for that money, and spend $20 extra you can get a Filco!
Das and Filco don't sell keypads..
(Attachment Link)

I think she meant that they don't sell gaming keypads.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 02:22:41 »
That is way way too much, I guess it is the first of its kind but I would much rather buy a 20 dollar Belkin or Logitech gampad and save 100 bucks than get that. Logitech has some nice membranes.
SmallFry! <3

Offline dohboi

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 02:40:19 »
When did these release? I still haven't seen one of these at work just yet. The only other gaming keypad I saw at work is the older Razer model (not too sure of the model name). But then again, where I work isn't really oriented to specifically the latest and greatest for all things computers and its peripherals. Cloud based hardware profiles now? This is why we can't have nice things...  :(

I think the reason I've also shied away from getting one of these is the abysmal experience I had with something similar to this, but for a console (yes, a console. at least I know now that it was a stupid decision buying one of these thinking I would get an advantage on a console). The mouse attachment on the console's gaming keypad only mimicked the movement of the controller joystick so it wasn't actually linear to the input. It just allowed for a little bit more fine control than that of the regular console joystick. :/

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 14:58:57 »
looks super dumb and having your hand being gripped there seems more limiting than it being comftable.... would rather just use a normal keyboard and have a custom macro program or something in the background

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 16:40:53 »
It seems to be on preorder.

It is just like the old Belkin. just with mxblues.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 02:03:31 »
Wants one bu needs money first.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 02:10:30 »
It seems to be on preorder.

It is just like the old Belkin. just with mxblues.
it actually is a bit more ramped up than the old belkins physically imo, it has more buttons! there is an extra top row and where the old scroll wheel on the belkin used to be is another button, seems to be highly adjustable (ala rat9 mice) and the buttons have different heights (whats the term for that).

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 11:07:54 »
WHY would they make this in MX Blues. WHY.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 11:14:56 »
so people like me can rip then out and put vintage blacks or ergo clears in

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 11:15:16 »
Because of all the mechanical switches the blues are the ones that sound the part, really hammering home the "THIS IS A MECHANICAL KEYBOARD" part.
I suppose that's kind of important when you're dealing with Razer's target market.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 11:15:42 »
so people like me can rip then out and put vintage blacks or ergo clears in

X2!

Offline Lanx

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 15:04:38 »
they're probably using blue's cuz it's "cooler" than the other switches, and they probably have a boatload of them or exisiting deals with cherry corp cuz of the blackwidow line.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 02:44:49 »
Because they have already brainwashed their customers to think that Blues are the only switch or the best switch. Razer knows all. RazerGuy handpicks every switch himself and he only picks the best blues!
SmallFry! <3

Offline Mountain Man

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:14:09 »
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver?src=pgm.81594800
If it's like most Razer products, it will develop significant faults inside of six-months and be effectively non-functional within a year.

Offline Mountain Man

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:19:25 »
Not exactly.  If it's like their other hardware, it doesn't become non-functional without Synapse, just less functional.  And, yes, that's a pretty ****ty way to do hardware.

Offline harrison

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 12:48:33 »
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:27:05 »
Why would they have settings saved to the cloud and not onboard? Trying to force you to install their software on every computer you might use it on?
Because.. THE CLOUD!!! You have to have THE CLOUD!!!!
Everything is in the CLOUD!

Marketing BS.
Cisco/Linksys has tried to do the same with their router settings. Not only is it pointless, but it's a serious security issue as well.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:35:00 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 16:48:12 »
Why would they have settings saved to the cloud and not onboard? Trying to force you to install their software on every computer you might use it on?
Because.. THE CLOUD!!! You have to have THE CLOUD!!!!
Everything is in the CLOUD!

Marketing BS.
Cisco/Linksys has tried to do the same with their router settings. Not only is it pointless, but it's a serious security issue as well.
APPS IN THE CLOUD
Even I want to punch me for saying that, even if I'm not serious

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 21:21:46 »
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver?src=pgm.81594800
If it's like most Razer products, it will develop significant faults inside of six-months and be effectively non-functional within a year.

It has a projection screen and apps?? OMFG! It's like the death stalker but better!
SmallFry! <3

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 23:32:38 »
I'll be so glad to get rid of my garbage g13, freaking piece of crap. I was going to pay someone to mod it for me but I'd rather just buy this orbweaver. Perfect foot print for fps gamers who have a huge mousepad and play low sens and whip the mouse. Same concept as tkl for productivity. Better positioning IMO.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 19:32:05 »
I'll be so glad to get rid of my garbage g13, freaking piece of crap. I was going to pay someone to mod it for me but I'd rather just buy this orbweaver. Perfect foot print for fps gamers who have a huge mousepad and play low sens and whip the mouse. Same concept as tkl for productivity. Better positioning IMO.
I like High sensitivity. Don't really see why people like Low sensitivity, but meh
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 22:37:12 »
I like High sensitivity. Don't really see why people like Low sensitivity, but meh
It is used for precise movement and accuracy in professional FPS games.

Source: Former CoD4 ProMod Team Captain/Scope
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 22:54:00 »
High with cloth, low with hard.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 22:59:30 »
High with cloth, low with hard.
i use the slickest mat i can find with every sensitivity i play with

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 23:24:47 »
I used to be like that, I was going to get the IceMat from Steelseries. Never did.

I used to like the Destructor and other Razer pads.

I am switching to soft pads now.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 23:32:26 »
everyone should try a C4 NGen <3 their pads

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 23:54:32 »
Interesting. I was planning to get Artisan.

Do you have the copper one from amazon or the black on from their site? Mind taking a pic of it?
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2013, 01:24:39 by TheQsanity »
SmallFry! <3

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 08:40:25 »
It is used for precise movement and accuracy in professional FPS games.

Source: Former CoD4 ProMod Team Captain/Scope

Pretty much this. Ask any pro fps player how many inches for a 180 or 360. I used to be high sens until I learned how to play low sens.