Author Topic: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)  (Read 130913 times)

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 11:54:35 »
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver?src=pgm.81594800

Looks like someone finally came out with one of these.

Edit: Confirmed to have Cherry Blue Switches.

From the FAQ:

What type of mechanical key switches does the Razer Orbweaver mechanical gaming keypad use?
The Razer Orbweaver keypad uses the tactile and clicky Cherry MX Blue mechanical key switches. Each one of the mechanical switches has been sorted prior to manufacture to adhere to a strict design and quality guideline.

TECH SPECS
-Full mechanical keys with 50g actuation force
-20 fully programmable keys
-Programmable 8-way directional thumb-pad
-Adjustable hand , thumb, and palm-rests modules for maximum comfort
-Instantaneous switching between 8 key maps
-Unlimited macro lengths
-Stores unlimited game profiles
-Backlit keypad for total control even in dark conditions
-Synapse 2.0 enabled
-Approximate size: 55 mm / 2.17” (Depth) x 154 mm / 6.06” (Width) x 202 mm / 7.95” (Height)
-Approximate Weight: 300 g / 0.66 lbs
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 January 2013, 23:32:55 by missalaire »
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Razer Orbweaver (Mechanical Gaming Keypad)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 11:58:19 »
Why would they have settings saved to the cloud and not onboard? Trying to force you to install their software on every computer you might use it on?

Offline missalaire

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:03:18 »
Why would they have settings saved to the cloud and not onboard? Trying to force you to install their software on every computer you might use it on?

I suppose so. It is Razer and I think most of us know about their Synapse 2.0.

This is pretty appealing to me as a gamer since I mainly play MMOs, but it being Razer with the Synapse 2.0 software and that price tag are huge turn offs.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:04:39 »
Have you seen this thing? It's not mechanical, but I think it might be a better choice than this thing.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:05:33 »
I also know you miss your LCD from one of your posts, so it has that! I've considered getting one, but not sure if I should or what I'd do with it... I did like the LCD on my G510 though.

Offline epicsilas

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:08:29 »
I have the G13. I used it for about 3 days and then went back to my Filco. It's not that great.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:12:01 »
Not sure why anyone would want to use one of these vs say.. a Poker or Pure.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:13:38 »
Have you seen this thing? It's not mechanical, but I think it might be a better choice than this thing.

I have! But from what my bf told me (who's tried that G13 before in store) its pretty big/wide so it probably wouldn't work so well for my small petite hands. I own and use a Belkin N52TE though and even with that I have to take off the plastic palm rest so I can reach the keys more easily.

And yeah, I miss my LCD from my G15 but mainly for the fact that it was nice to be able to see who popped into Ventrilo and who's currently talking without having to have the Vent window open.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:18:37 »
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BEvfdEIFgn8

I'm now waiting to see what logitech comes out with.  I'd rather have red or ergo clears in my game pad though.
Hopefully Cooler Master puts one out too.   
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:21:04 »
What kind of mechanical switches are people assuming are used in this thing? Or does someone know?

Offline missalaire

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:30:09 »
I'm interested to see what Logitech comes out with too. I just want something with the same similar mold as the Nostromo without any clunky software like the Synapse 2.0 and relatively easily reachable keys :x

I agree it would be nice to see if Cooler Master could put something out like this too.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:36:30 »
You should get bigger hands, miss. :­o

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:38:18 »
Maybe MX Reds?
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:39:30 »
Maybe MX Reds?
In that thing? They say they click, and have 2mm actuation. Is that Blue? Or something else? Maybe Blues.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:40:04 »
Actually, being that the BW & BWU use Blues, I'd wager it uses the same. Agree?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:50:35 »
I'm guessing blues.

Would be cool if it was reasonably priced and came with decent software, but Razer...

The Logitech is far superior even if it's rubberdome due to price, LCD and no unnecessary Synapse BS.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:52:58 »
^ Agreed. The best part of the N52TE was that it was just plug and play and acts just like a keyboard. The "binds" are onboard and that's why it worked with any MMO, you just bind the keys and flash it onto the gamepad.

Offline epicsilas

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 12:55:00 »
The Razer YouTube account said 50g blue switches will be in them.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:04:38 »
Someone should make something like this but modular, such that you could move the thumbstick and other pieces to the other side and use with your other hand.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:09:51 »
Why someone would want a keypad vs keyboard??  :confused:
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:12:58 »
You should get bigger hands, miss. :­o

I wish :< When I have my palm flush against the palm rest, only my middle and ring finger reach to the top row of keys lol.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:17:44 »

Maybe possibly they need even MORE key? :eek:
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline inteli722

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:22:06 »
Before the page was completely loaded I said to myself, "It's going to be $130"

Sure enough, when the page loaded a split second later, it was $130. WTF Razer? You can buy a Das for that money, and spend $20 extra you can get a Filco!
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:22:44 »

Maybe possibly they need even MORE key? :eek:
BTW, my question was questioning if that is what they meant.. if they were suggesting a keyboard over a keypad.. which makes no sense to me.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:23:32 »

Sure enough, when the page loaded a split second later, it was $130. WTF Razer? You can buy a Das for that money, and spend $20 extra you can get a Filco!
Das and Filco don't sell keypads..

Offline missalaire

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:30:43 »

It's really convenient especially for MMOs. You have the convenience of having the keys lumped in one area and you can bind skills to the keys and it's possible to set modifiers to be able to bind even more things to them if you run out of keys to bind. The thumb pad is nice and eliminates the need to WASD and I think it gives better movement reaction than WASD'ing. The other random buttons on top of the thumbpad and below it are nice to set specific functions to as well. You can basically play a game just using mouse and keypad, only using keyboard to type.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:32:09 »

Keyboard. I meant Keyboard. If you know Filco doesn't sell Keypads, and they sell keyboards for $150, what can you conclude from that statement?
More

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:32:43 »

It's really convenient especially for MMOs. You have the convenience of having the keys lumped in one area and you can bind skills to the keys and it's possible to set modifiers to be able to bind even more things to them if you run out of keys to bind. The thumb pad is nice and eliminates the need to WASD and I think it gives better movement reaction than WASD'ing. The other random buttons on top of the thumbpad and below it are nice to set specific functions to as well. You can basically play a game just using mouse and keypad, only using keyboard to type.
As posted above.. "BTW, my question was questioning if that is what they meant.. if they were suggesting a keyboard over a keypad.. which makes no sense to me." :)

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:33:45 »

Keyboard. I meant Keyboard. If you know Filco doesn't sell Keypads, and they sell keyboards for $150, what can you conclude from that statement?
So you're comparing the price of a keypad with the price of keyboards.. two different products..

Offline inteli722

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:38:13 »

So you're comparing the price of a keypad with the price of keyboards.. two different products..

A keypad is usually used as a Keyboard replacement for games. My logic here is "If you are going to spend $130 on a mechanical keypad, why not spend $20 more and get a good Mechanical keyboard. ._.
More

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:40:32 »
Actually, people use them with their keyboard, sometimes, too.. rather than buying a "gaming"keyboard with lots of macros keys. It's not likely they would be using their keypad to type out writing, if they communicate in game..or is it.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:44:47 »
Actually, people use them with their keyboard, sometimes, too.. rather than buying a "gaming"keyboard with lots of macros keys. It's not likely they would be using their keypad to type out writing, if they communicate in game..or is it.

I use my Belkin N52TE keypad with my keyboard. And no, it isn't likely that anyone would use their gaming keypad to type out writing. It's really just to have everything you need to game with (minus typing) right at the palm of your hand.

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:46:02 »

I use my Belkin N52TE keypad with my keyboard. And no, it isn't likely that anyone would use their gaming keypad to type out writing. It's really just to have everything you need to game with (minus typing) right at the palm of your hand.
Just as I thought :)

Offline Vyr1s

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:46:12 »
Comfort goes a long way, I used an n52 for awhile before getting my N52TE.
I'm excited for this but a little sad to loose the thumb bottom button and the scrollwheel

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 13:55:49 »
If they made two of them, one for lefthanded and one fore righthanded, would it be reasonable to thing I could set them up to use as a keyboard/mouse combo? Can you use the thumbstick as a mouse?

Offline MissMurd3r84

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:01:31 »
If they made two of them, one for lefthanded and one fore righthanded, would it be reasonable to thing I could set them up to use as a keyboard/mouse combo? Can you use the thumbstick as a mouse?
I'd assume the settings would actually end up being the same for both, unless there's some way to make one run a different profile.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:06:24 »

I don't think the thumbpad can be used as a mouse, but you can use it to scroll and bind the following:

Basic commands like cut, copy, paste, print, etc.

Additional commands like swap and close windows, zoom in and out, maximize and minimize window, etc
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:08:28 by missalaire »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:08:48 »
I'd assume the settings would actually end up being the same for both, unless there's some way to make one run a different profile.
Well the Logitech has onboard memory, so I assume it would work with those.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:10:02 »
What are the options under Mouse Button, missalaire? And it seems only logical that it should work as a mouse as well. That's just lazy and lame.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:11:23 »
What are the options under Mouse Button, missalaire? And it seems only logical that it should work as a mouse as well. That's just lazy and lame.

Left mouse button, middle mouse button, and right mouse button. The Belkin N52TE is pretty old though to be fair. I'm sure the latest Razer Nostromo has some more advanced features.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 14:12:49 »
Hmm... modification thoughts processing...

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 15:24:34 »
I could only ever imagine using one of these on like a flight simulator. Even then... Wtf? A keyboard with like 1/3 the keys and a wrist rest.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 15:40:36 »
I'll be honest. I'll probably buy one.

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 15:59:13 »
You should add in the OP that it has Blue switches.

I think it's cool that there's actually a gamepad with mechanical switches, though personally I'd never get near one of those things. I just don't care for them. I've used it once and much preferred a keyboard. There's not enough keys on there for me. When I played SWTOR I mapped almost the entire keyboard and consistently used the entire keyboard.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline missalaire

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 16:14:37 »
I'll be honest. I'll probably buy one.

If you do, I'd like to see your feedback on it.

You should add in the OP that it has Blue switches.

Added.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 January 2013, 16:16:29 by missalaire »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 16:30:08 »
i may get this been waiting for one in mechanical form the funny thing is ill pair it with my G600!

Offline NikoGasm

• Platinum mad.
    • Twitch
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 16:47:02 »
If you go to the FAQ on Razer's website it says that it uses Blue switches. So it is 100% confirmed Blue switches. Just in case anyone was still not completely certain.
| MX Mini | Ducky DK1087 | A87 |

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 16:48:29 »
Lol i just though of something a soon as logitech comes out with something similar id sell the razer ASAP lol

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 18:35:08 »
130 USD?

130 USD?

You can buy a twenty-key pad from Hong Kong for like 20 USD, build a Soarer Adaptor for 30 more and spend the rest on beer and games.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 January 2013, 22:26:24 »
o gawd... $130?