Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556831 times)

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #4800 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 11:38:10 »

Before I purchase 55g springs from Sherryton, are they a bit heaver than the stock red/blue/brown springs? This actuation stuff has gotten me confused D:.

Edit-

Did some Googling and its a bit lighter than stock red/blue/brown springs.

Just for future reference, check out this post which links to rkinze's post.

Thanks for posting this reference link. Much appreciated! You are extremely helpful :D!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4801 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 11:56:23 »
Anyone know the distance from the plate to the bottom of the cap using DCS caps?

If you don't get an answer, I'll take this measurement for you later.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4802 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:03:14 »
Anyone know the distance from the plate to the bottom of the cap using DCS caps?

If you don't get an answer, I'll take this measurement for you later.

excellent thanx Cpt.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4803 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:53:53 »
Saw this in another topic and wanted to archive it somewhere so I'm just going to leave it here. Not sure if it needs to be added to the FAQ.

Question: Why does USPS delivery time seem to change throughout the year?

Answer:
Now's a good time for USPS shipping because Fedex and Passenger airlines sell their empty cargo space to the post office. It's a pretty slow time for both so there's lots of extra room to be sold.  In about 2 weeks, those same packages would be going by truck when those airlines start hitting peak volumes for Thanksgiving -> New Years.  Valentines and tax time are the next major bumps in shipping for the year.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4804 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 12:56:07 »
Saw this in another topic and wanted to archive it somewhere so I'm just going to leave it here. Not sure if it needs to be added to the FAQ.

Answer:
Now's a good time for USPS shipping because Fedex and Passenger airlines sell their empty cargo space to the post office. It's a pretty slow time for both so there's lots of extra room to be sold.  In about 2 weeks, those same packages would be going by truck when those airlines start hitting peak volumes for Thanksgiving -> New Years.  Valentines and tax time are the next major bumps in shipping for the year.

good to know
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4805 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:03:41 »
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #4806 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:04:15 »

Answer:

Sweet! Hopefully my springs from Sherryton will be here soon :D!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4807 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:04:44 »
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

wut??

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4808 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:05:31 »

Every all about the time.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4809 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 13:41:51 »

Yesno.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4810 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:29:47 »
Difference between 62g and 62g limited springs @ originative? I'm confused.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline stancato9

« Reply #4811 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:34:59 »
Where can I get cherry stabilizers?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4812 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:37:07 »

I wondered this as well a while ago, this is part of the PM I got:
These are more special, and have been trialed.  The previous springs are absolutely great as well.  The new ones make a minor difference, but these enthusiasts now say that these are their favorites.  They have been through approximately 5+ trials.

In the OP.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #4813 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:55:33 »

I wondered this as well a while ago, this is part of the PM I got:
These are more special, and have been trialed.  The previous springs are absolutely great as well.  The new ones make a minor difference, but these enthusiasts now say that these are their favorites.  They have been through approximately 5+ trials.

In the OP.

+2, I ordered the 62g limited cause they were only $2 more each :P.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #4814 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 22:47:58 »
Can anyone confirm is these are alps compatible?  Came from an old Optimal keyboard.  Tried searching for the board, but could find nothing.  The board itself is rubber dome, but the caps look identical to some posted on Desk Authority as being compatible with alps.  They are DS abs I believe and are very close to SP profile. 

42560-0

this is the board they came from:
42562-1

Color seems to match my model M perfectly:
42564-2

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4815 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 23:01:07 »
I can't 100% confirm for that particular board, but I have owned rubber domes that had alps compatible caps, so I would bet on yes.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #4816 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 23:01:57 »
Can anyone confirm is these are alps compatible?  Came from an old Optimal keyboard.  Tried searching for the board, but could find nothing.  The board itself is rubber dome, but the caps look identical to some posted on Desk Authority as being compatible with alps.  They are DS abs I believe and are very close to SP profile. 

(Attachment Link)

this is the board they came from:
(Attachment Link)

Color seems to match my model M perfectly:
(Attachment Link)

They are ALPS compatible. The profile may not match up with some of your ALPS boards but they will work.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #4817 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 23:04:15 »
Cool.  Gonna just blow them out then in the classifieds as I don't own an alps board.  Thanks for the quick responses  :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline cruk

• :> keys
« Reply #4818 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 03:54:29 »
I just bought the Filco Ninja TKL brown which is my first mech keyboard, and it feels amazing typing on it.

Before I start pouring money into keycaps, I need some clarifications on a few questions:
1) Most of the keycaps that I'm looking at are ABS Doubleshots. As far as I understand, Filco has their own profile for keycaps. Does this mean that if I do get a couple of doubleshots, they will be much taller than the other keys?

2) If that's the case, is the next step to buy a full set of keycaps to replace the ninja keys?

3) I've noticed that there are also PBT keycaps, and I was wondering if they are of the same profile (height) as the ABS keycaps?

4) What replacement keycaps should I get for my 87keys filco?

Thanks!

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4819 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 05:59:26 »
1) Most of the keycaps that I'm looking at are ABS Doubleshots. As far as I understand, Filco has their own profile for keycaps. Does this mean that if I do get a couple of doubleshots, they will be much taller than the other keys?

That depends on the set, but most sets should actually be a bit smaller than the Filco caps.

2) If that's the case, is the next step to buy a full set of keycaps to replace the ninja keys?

If you want to avoid height differences, a complete set or a mix of sets from the same manufacturer or with the same profile is the way to go.

3) I've noticed that there are also PBT keycaps, and I was wondering if they are of the same profile (height) as the ABS keycaps?

PBT is just the type of plastic and is available in various profiles, just like ABS.

Some that you like? Any preferences?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4820 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 06:13:59 »
Was you able to get that measurement for me cpt?

Offline cruk

« Reply #4821 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 06:36:59 »

That depends on the set, but most sets should actually be a bit smaller than the Filco caps.

If you want to avoid height differences, a complete set or a mix of sets from the same manufacturer or with the same profile is the way to go.

PBT is just the type of plastic and is available in various profiles, just like ABS.

Some that you like? Any preferences?

Thanks for your quick reply BlueBär

I've been looking around and just stumbled upon wasdkeyboards, am I right to say that their keycaps are the same height as the filcos? And that these are taller than the ones from keypop and techkeys? Is there a photo showing a comparison of the different heights of the profiles?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4822 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 06:38:44 »
Was you able to get that measurement for me cpt?

No, I will at work today though. Calipers were there.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4823 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 06:51:05 »
I've been looking around and just stumbled upon wasdkeyboards, am I right to say that their keycaps are the same height as the filcos? And that these are taller than the ones from keypop and techkeys? Is there a photo showing a comparison of the different heights of the profiles?

Note: WASD does not produce doubleshots (cause you were asking about doubleshots before).

Their caps should have a similar profile to the original Filco caps, I can't say if they are exactly the same though. Afaik Keypop and Techkeys both sell caps from Signature Plastics so they should be lower than the Filco caps.

Here a few pictures I could find:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38987.msg768279#msg768279
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38870.msg755544#msg755544
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35285.msg654984#msg654984

Offline cruk

« Reply #4824 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 07:11:10 »

Note: WASD does not produce doubleshots (cause you were asking about doubleshots before).

Their caps should have a similar profile to the original Filco caps, I can't say if they are exactly the same though. Afaik Keypop and Techkeys both sell caps from Signature Plastics so they should be lower than the Filco caps.

Here a few pictures I could find:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38987.msg768279#msg768279
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38870.msg755544#msg755544
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35285.msg654984#msg654984

Thanks for the links, they helped a lot :)

Now, what are some good replacement keycaps to go with the novelty SPs from keypop/techkeys so that the height differences are not noticeable, since I've read that SPs ABS are thin and not as good for everyday use.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4825 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 07:30:26 »
Now, what are some good replacement keycaps to go with the novelty SPs from keypop/techkeys so that the height differences are not noticeable, since I've read that SPs ABS are thin and not as good for everyday use.

Cherry profile caps will work fine. Also you should try the caps before making a judgment. I type on SP caps daily at work and I think they're fine. I actually like thin ABS paired with Blues.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4826 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 07:36:23 »

The caps you are typing on are thin and ABS as well. I wouldn't say that they are not good for everyday use at all. I would recommend just going through a few of the geekhack media threads to see what you like.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4827 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 08:29:45 »
This isn't really a Simple Question, nor is it a Simple Answer, but rather a statement.

There currently exists a bias on Geekhack when it comes to keycaps. That bias is towards PBT, the thicker the better, and away from thin ABS. Thick ABS is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

However, just like with switch preference, the type of keycaps you prefer is just that, a personal preference. Just because one person loves thick PBT, doesn't mean it is the best, nor does it mean that YOU will like it best. I personally prefer thick ABS from Cherry/GMK the best, but I don't mind thin ABS from SP at all. I certainly prefer them to the super-textured PBT that is common, and feels slippery to my fingers.

So, just because a group of people have decided that thick PBT is the "best," doesn't necessarily make it so. I think some of it is the "bandwagon" effect. Certainly some of it is because ABS does tend to develop a shine, i.e. lose its texture, with use, which some people find distasteful.

But the main point of my rambling is that, just like BlueBär and CPTBadAss expressed, you should try different keycap sets and decide from your actual experience which is better, to you. Don't just take someone's word for it. I could tell you that 65g linear MX switches are the "best," but they may not be the best for you, and you may prefer 67g clicky MX, pink Alps, capacitive buckling springs, or even 55g Topre.

That is the wonderful thing about this point in time. There exists a multitude of options when it comes to keyboards and their accessories, and you have many choices you can make when purchasing these items. We have demonstrated to manufacturers that there is a market for these things, and we will support their products if they continue to innovate and improve. Also, if something doesn't exist yet, or isn't readily available, we make things ourselves. That, to me, is the fun part of this hobby.

Try new things. Make decisions based on your experiences. Enjoy your feeling! of oneness with cup rubber! Live long, and prosper! :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4828 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 08:54:14 »
That is the wonderful thing about this point in time. There exists a multitude of options when it comes to keyboards and their accessories, and you have many choices you can make when purchasing these items. We have demonstrated to manufacturers that there is a market for these things, and we will support their products if they continue to innovate and improve. Also, if something doesn't exist yet, or isn't readily available, we make things ourselves. That, to me, is the fun part of this hobby.

Very well said!

Also, get out of my head, I'm typing on 65g Vintage Blacks and I have 67g Whites ready for my GH60...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4829 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 09:43:40 »
Right now my wife is using this rubber dome keyboard, but likes reds and would be interested in a TKL layout with no side print legends.  My question: should I get her the QFR or Filco Majestouch-2?  I'm not real keen on the legends on the QFR but I know she wants a purple keyset.  Suggestions?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4830 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 09:54:54 »
My question: should I get her the QFR or Filco Majestouch-2?

Has she tried either of these? Maybe at Keycon or in store? If she has a preference, go for that. Then if she's only going to have one keyboard, I would suggest the MJ2. My personal opinion is that Filcos are the best stock MX keyboards in terms of quality, durability, and "modability".

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4831 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:08:31 »
My question: should I get her the QFR or Filco Majestouch-2?

Has she tried either of these? Maybe at Keycon or in store? If she has a preference, go for that. Then if she's only going to have one keyboard, I would suggest the MJ2. My personal opinion is that Filcos are the best stock MX keyboards in terms of quality, durability, and "modability".

I don't think she really got around to try out different keyboards.  She did try the switch tester and really like the reds but hated about everything else.  It will be her only keyboard.  I was leaning toward the Filco but then right before I hit "Submit" I remember the QFR and looked up price difference between the two on amazon.  The Filco being almost twice as much.  By all means I don't have any issues with buying quality as chances are cost per year works out less.  So I thought I would ask on some quick opinions here.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4832 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:12:33 »
I don't think she really got around to try out different keyboards.  She did try the switch tester and really like the reds but hated about everything else.  It will be her only keyboard.  I was leaning toward the Filco but then right before I hit "Submit" I remember the QFR and looked up price difference between the two on amazon.  The Filco being almost twice as much.  By all means I don't have any issues with buying quality as chances are cost per year works out less.  So I thought I would ask on some quick opinions here.

I like working on the Filco PCB/keyboard when modding more than the QFR. Not sure if that's what will be going on but that's one of the big things I like about the Filco. The quality of the PCB. The QFR is not a bad board but if I was going to go with one keyboard, Filco would be my choice. Wouldn't mind hearing other opinions though :D.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4833 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:14:48 »
Sounds good CPT.  I will take your word for it.  After all you are "Keeper of the Faith". 

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4834 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:19:37 »
Sounds good CPT.  I will take your word for it.  After all you are "Keeper of the Faith". 

Faith in that context refers to facts and knowledge. I gave you a biased opinion, which is not fact or knowledge! :P

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4835 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:24:04 »
Said biased opinion is still based on fact and experience.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #4836 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:26:54 »
I currently own four Filco TKLs and one Filco 104.

I own one QFR (that I bought as a bare PCB).

I keep buying Filcos, when the QFR is obviously available, and I have experience with both. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4837 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:35:07 »
Either way I just bit the bullet on 2 keyboards both for gifts.  That makes 3 that I will be giving this season

1.  this beauty for my uncle with the in Style 2 all gray
2.  This subtle beast for my aunt with a yet to be announced keycap going for the Esc key(hopefully)
3.  And this slick one for my wife's first mechanical

Edit:  don't you wish you was on my christmas list.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #4838 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:40:21 »
don't you wish you was on my christmas list.

I've been a good boy, I swear. :P

Very nice keyboards, all!

in memoriam

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4839 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:41:16 »

Just in action or in mind as well?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #4840 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:47:21 »

My mind is pure, sir!

in memoriam

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4841 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:49:55 »

My mind is pure, sir!

lol you have had a registered account since spring of 12.  I have been here less than a year.  I should be on yours.  I wish I had something to give away to some random peeps but just don't have anything that isn't either tied up in my project or not sure if it is going to make it to my project.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #4842 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 10:50:36 »

Faith in that context refers to facts and knowledge. I gave you a biased opinion, which is not fact or knowledge! :P

Your biased opinion is often dropping knowledge, so don't sell yourself short...  :P

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4843 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 11:00:36 »
I was at least nice enough to order a wire cap puller to send with my aunt and uncles keyboards.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #4844 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 11:13:52 »
Someone tell me! Why I No CC!! Any way to hack EK to get a CC?! T T
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4845 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 11:19:59 »

because you not one with the CC

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4846 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 11:25:17 »

The Clack God did not smile on you today.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #4847 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 11:31:52 »

because you not one with the CC

Dat keycap in your avatar lol. That keycap in China is CC on GH.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4848 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 11:33:04 »
I got that cap from Bim Gao.  I am using it as my Esc Key for obvious reasons and have my HDD LED behind it.  Link to build log is in my signature.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #4849 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 11:34:40 »

The Clack God did not smile on you today.

Line 584 in Bible of Clack reads, "Blessed are all those who put their faith in Clack God. Those are the only ones to be able to touch CC in their life."