Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553818 times)

Offline ValerieV

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #5100 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:04:12 »
THANK YOU! It worked. I thought it would be easier but i guess not. How did you know to do that? I read the directions and none of them said that.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5101 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 20:09:21 »
THANK YOU! It worked. I thought it would be easier but i guess not. How did you know to do that? I read the directions and none of them said that.

I just guessed, mostly.  Since the default behaviour is Esc, it makes sense that the function layer mapping for that key would be the `~ key below it.  And in this case, it's a doubled up function layer, so you need fn+shift+esc to access the "shift" level of the function layer. 

So in short, I just knew.   :p  Also, if that's too many key presses to get the ~, you can remap that key using the programming mode of the Poker II, to make it a "top level" function layer key.

Offline JayG30

« Reply #5102 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 22:07:35 »
I see people say "Cherry key caps" but don't see any real definition of what that means. What I believe is being referred to is key caps that were produced by the Cherry Corporation using their molds before they stopped making them. These are double shot ABS keys. The most common keys being the conical style that signature plastic mimics with their DCS line? However, the Signature Plastic DCS keys have thinner walls (not sure of what other differences). Also, it seems that someone purchased these Cherry Corp molds now (GMK?) and are producing keys just like the original ones made by Cherry (along with the original Cherry Corp legends)?

Is the above correct or am I mistaking/forgetting anything important?
Thanks.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5103 on: Mon, 18 November 2013, 22:20:25 »
I see people say "Cherry key caps" but don't see any real definition of what that means. What I believe is being referred to is key caps that were produced by the Cherry Corporation using their molds before they stopped making them. These are double shot ABS keys. The most common keys being the conical style that signature plastic mimics with their DCS line? However, the Signature Plastic DCS keys have thinner walls (not sure of what other differences). Also, it seems that someone purchased these Cherry Corp molds now (GMK?) and are producing keys just like the original ones made by Cherry (along with the original Cherry Corp legends)?

Is the above correct or am I mistaking/forgetting anything important?
Thanks.

Yeah basically, if they say cherry profile. Also sometimes people say cherry key caps when referring to any cherry mx compatible caps.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #5104 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:54:40 »
The top cover of my Cherry G80-1501HAD seems to be slightly off centre.. my esc key is almost touching the left side, but has a wide gap on the right side. It wasn't like this when I got it. Anyone else experienced this? I've tried taking it off and putting it back, but it doesn't seem to help at all. Can anyone think of a way I could remedy this? It just seems like a very strange issue, and it definitely doesn't seem like there's some easy fix :/ I've been playing around with it for the best part of an hour but still no luck.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 10:59:23 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5105 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 11:12:12 »
The top cover of my Cherry G80-1501HAD seems to be slightly off centre.. my esc key is almost touching the left side, but has a wide gap on the right side. It wasn't like this when I got it. Anyone else experienced this? I've tried taking it off and putting it back, but it doesn't seem to help at all. Can anyone think of a way I could remedy this? It just seems like a very strange issue, and it definitely doesn't seem like there's some easy fix :/ I've been playing around with it for the best part of an hour but still no luck.

Sounds like the PCB is misaligned within the case...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5106 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:15:40 »
Has anyone gotten finger fatigue from heavy PBT caps? Are they actually heavier to press than thin ABS or is it just me? I almost feel like these would do well on some reds.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5107 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:18:09 »
Has anyone gotten finger fatigue from heavy PBT caps? Are they actually heavier to press than thin ABS or is it just me? I almost feel like these would do well on some reds.

I've never heard of anyone getting fatigued based on keycaps. Did you change to a different switch than what you're used to?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5108 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:18:36 »

If the caps are more heavy than the ones you used before the switch would actually be lighter because of the increased weight that rests on the spring.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #5109 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:20:14 »
keytrun, i think you're just used to oem profile. i'm sure you will get used to cherry profile soon. there's no way the change in plastic/weight/thickness would cause fatigue. profile, on the other hand, might.
github

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5110 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:21:38 »
If anything, the keys would be lighter to press (not heavier) because the weight of the key press = spring weight - weight of cap.

I don't notice a weight difference based on thickness ok keycap.

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5111 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:42:20 »
Then maybe its the profile. Or it could just be the fact that all night I was pulling keycaps off by hand (don't have a puller) and trying to get those little stabilizer pieces off the keys. My hands are still sore from it.

EDIT: I put this in another thread but I never got a response. Can someone explain the deal with greasing the stabilizers? Which parts are greased? How does it affect it? Someone said that they don't even need grease. Does the filco come greased? Do I need to order anything to come in to prep for my board?

EDIT 2: Also, for caps like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zerg-PBT-R4-Cherry-MX-Keycap-/331043013376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d13b38300 is it okay to type on them or will they fade?

Also, do the surfaces of thick pbt feel difference than standard pbt? Whats the benefit of thick pbt? I can't tell because of the designs on my novelty caps, but from what I can tell they feel like they have similar surfaces.

These are questions I asked in other threads that never got addressed. Best to ask it here ^.^
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:47:47 by Keytrun »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5112 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:53:18 »
Can someone explain the deal with greasing the stabilizers? Which parts are greased? How does it affect it? Someone said that they don't even need grease. Does the filco come greased? Do I need to order anything to come in to prep for my board?

Grease makes the stabs a little smoother, but it is not really necessary. If this is your first mechanical keyboard you will be amazed anyway ;)

Read this to learn more:

http://imgur.com/a/lhLqo

Also, do the surfaces of thick pbt feel difference than standard pbt? Whats the benefit of thick pbt?

It's not the surface that feels different but the overall keypress, because the keycap itself is heavier. The benefit is a different feeling - some prefer thick keys (majority), some don't (minority) and some don't care. You have to test those things on your own, because it's a very individual thing. Just because others like it doesn't mean you'll like too :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5113 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 13:59:34 »
1) I put this in another thread but I never got a response. Can someone explain the deal with greasing the stabilizers? Which parts are greased? How does it affect it? Someone said that they don't even need grease.

2) Does the filco come greased? Do I need to order anything to come in to prep for my board?

3) Also, for caps like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zerg-PBT-R4-Cherry-MX-Keycap-/331043013376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d13b38300 is it okay to type on them or will they fade?

4) Do the surfaces of thick pbt feel difference than standard pbt? 

5) Whats the benefit of thick pbt?

6) These are questions I asked in other threads that never got addressed. Best to ask it here ^.^

1) Check out this thread as well as the link LechnerDE linked for more info. It makes switches feel smoother. You don't actually need to lube anything if you don't want.

2) No it's not prelubed. No you can use the Filco out of the box.

3) You can type on it. It's fine.

4) Yes it might feel different. Different caps feel different to different people. Try them out and see which ones you like.

5) It feels different. I generally prefer thick caps to thin caps. I think they feel nicer. You may feel different. Try some out.

6) You can make a billion threads but if they don't show up in Spy, I might not see it. If you post here, I'll always respond. Can't speak for anyone else.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 14:01:08 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5114 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 14:45:23 »
Can someone explain the deal with greasing the stabilizers? Which parts are greased? How does it affect it? Someone said that they don't even need grease. Does the filco come greased? Do I need to order anything to come in to prep for my board?

Grease makes the stabs a little smoother, but it is not really necessary. If this is your first mechanical keyboard you will be amazed anyway ;)

Read this to learn more:

http://imgur.com/a/lhLqo

Also, do the surfaces of thick pbt feel difference than standard pbt? Whats the benefit of thick pbt?

It's not the surface that feels different but the overall keypress, because the keycap itself is heavier. The benefit is a different feeling - some prefer thick keys (majority), some don't (minority) and some don't care. You have to test those things on your own, because it's a very individual thing. Just because others like it doesn't mean you'll like too :)

I have a blackwidow that I've been using for the last few months.

I'm curious why the filco doesn't come lubed. My blackwidow has grease on the stabilizers. I'll check it out when I get it. If it feels stiff I'll follow the guide.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5115 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 14:46:51 »
I'm curious why the filco doesn't come lubed. My blackwidow has grease on the stabilizers. I'll check it out when I get it. If it feels stiff I'll follow the guide.

Cost. Cheaper and easier not to lube them.

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5116 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 14:58:10 »

Yea, but I was always under the impression Filco was supposed to be top tier. Does WASD code lube them? I'm actually a little dissapointed I couldn't get the code. Is there anywhere to get one besides the official website where its out of stock? It looks like a filco with backlights, media keys and a detachable cable. Granted, I'm going to put my filco in an aluminum case @ some point I hope and I don't think I can do that with the code.

Also, where can I buy the grease if I want to lube the stabilizers? Is it difficult? I haven't read the guide yet. I dont need a huge explanation (that's what the guides for). Just a "you can buy it anywhere locally" and a "yes / no" on difficulty.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:00:58 by Keytrun »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #5117 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:00:23 »
There are no production keyboards that come lubed.  However the switches do come with a thin layer of lube from the factory.  I saw a picture of it somewhere.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5118 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:01:39 »
1) I was always under the impression Filco was supposed to be top tier.

2) Does WASD code lube them? I'm actually a little dissapointed I couldn't get the code.

3) Is there anywhere to get one besides the official website where its out of stock?

4) where can I buy the grease if I want to lube the stabilizers?

5) Is it difficult? I haven't read the guide yet.

6) I dont need a huge explanation (that's what the guides for).

1) Filco uses the Costar stabilizers I'm used to seeing and I don't think mine needs lube. The Razer Blackwidow had weird Costar knockoffs that were super brittle. I guess the lube masked any poor feeling they had. Lubing or lack of it doesn't mean a keyboard is "top tier".

2) WASD lubes their stabilizers but not the switches.

3) Wait for it to be restocked or classifieds.

4) WASD uses SuperLube. I guess the standard hardware store has it.

5) It's easy.

6) Start reading. There's a lot of it to be done.

There are no production keyboards that come lubed.  However the switches do come with a thin layer of lube from the factory.  I saw a picture of it somewhere.

Need link please. I thought only Whites came factory lubed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:04:26 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5119 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:01:45 »
My Razer Blackwidow Ultimate has grease on the stabilizers.

EDIT: Didn't see your post when I posted, CPT. Thanks. I'm sure the Filco will be fine.

Why lube the switches? That seems like it would be really difficult. If you want easier to press switches why not just buy different ones?
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:03:22 by Keytrun »

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #5120 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:03:35 »

1) I was always under the impression Filco was supposed to be top tier.

2) Does WASD code lube them?

1) Filco uses the Costar stabilizers I'm used to seeing and I don't think mine needs lube. The Razer Blackwidow had weird Costar knockoffs that were super brittle. I guess the lube masked any poor feeling they had. Lubing or lack of it doesn't mean a keyboard is "top tier".

2) WASD lubes their stabilizers but not the switches.

I'll try to find it

EDIT:

Small blob of grease on contact points.

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:05:22 by MKULTRA »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5121 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:06:02 »
Why lube the switches? That seems like it would be really difficult. If you want easier to press switches why not just buy different ones?

1) Check out this thread as well as the link LechnerDE linked for more info. It makes switches feel smoother. You don't actually need to lube anything if you don't want.

Read a little more before you just post tons of questions please.

I'll try to find it

EDIT:

Small blob of grease on contact points.

Show Image

Can you also give a link from where that picture is from? Is that dianoda's album if its a minus link?

Edit: It is from dianoda's Minus album. It wasn't opening at work.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:32:23 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5122 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:10:20 »

Read a little more before you just post tons of questions please.

Sorry about that. I don't mean to be annoying. I'm just excited and trying to absorb as much as possible.

I just read the switch lubing part of the guide and it seems extremely simple. They recommend several different types of grease, all of which they say is ABS plastic safe. Would you recommend one of those over another for the PBT? I'm sure there's something I can buy that will allow me to apply the grease finely to the location. Anyone use anything specific that works well?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #5123 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:12:57 »
Sorry about that. I don't mean to be annoying. I'm just excited and trying to absorb as much as possible.

I just read the switch lubing part of the guide and it seems extremely simple. They recommend several different types of grease, all of which they say is ABS plastic safe. Would you recommend one of those over another for the PBT? I'm sure there's something I can buy that will allow me to apply the grease finely to the location. Anyone use anything specific that works well?
They use ABS safe stuff because the switches are made from ABS, not because the keycaps are made from ABS.

Use kryox lubricants, don't use any of the Superlube, etc that's mentioned in that thread. Krytox is the best.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5124 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:13:34 »

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48030.0

Also don't the Cherry MX lube guide and ripster guide have recommendations on lubes you can use? They will be fine with PBT.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5125 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:15:46 »

Also don't the Cherry MX lube guide and ripster guide have recommendations on lubes you can use? They will be fine with PBT.

geekhackers store is closed just an FYI

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5126 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:16:57 »

Yes but the lube will be sold elsewhere and the information will be posted there when mkawa is ready.

Use kryox lubricants, don't use any of the Superlube, etc that's mentioned in that thread. Krytox is the best.

FWIW, WASD and The_Beast both use Superlube on the stabilizers.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:29:54 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #5127 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 15:52:15 »

Yes but the lube will be sold elsewhere and the information will be posted there when mkawa is ready.

FWIW, WASD and The_Beast both use Superlube on the stabilizers.

from secret pms mkawa is ready but the vendor is not  :'(

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #5128 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 16:45:36 »

Sounds like the PCB is misaligned within the case...

I think I'm getting something similar, my arrow cluster looks too much to the left
slighty misalignment of the pcb makes sense tho

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5129 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:16:19 »

Apparently he's ready tonight! Also check out this link.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 November 2013, 20:28:15 by CPTBadAss »

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5130 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 22:20:47 »
Can you open the switch housing with the plate from The_Beast's group buy?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #5131 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 22:21:13 »
Can you open the switch housing with the plate from The_Beast's group buy?

I think that you should be able to

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5132 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 23:52:34 »

Should I order the thick or thin formula for the stabilizers?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5133 on: Tue, 19 November 2013, 23:54:32 »

Just use whatever you would use for your switches.  It shouldn't make too much of a difference.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5134 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 00:51:25 »
Can you swap stems with the plate from The_Beast's group buy?

Is there a white and beige pbt dyesub set? Besides the one from originative.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 November 2013, 00:54:37 by stancato9 »
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5135 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 00:55:00 »

Is there a white and beige pbt dyesub set?

You should be able to.

Yes.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5136 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 01:07:04 »

Is there a white and beige pbt dyesub set?

You should be able to.

Yes.

Thanks! And I edited my post to say besides from originative :p A little pricey  :-[
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5137 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 01:14:26 »
Pbt caps will almost always costore than abs

Both will work fine.  The thick will have a greater impact on the noise, as I am told.

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Keytrun

« Reply #5138 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 01:23:45 »
Pbt caps will almost always costore than abs

Both will work fine.  The thick will have a greater impact on the noise, as I am told.

And you agree that product is what I should buy for stabilizers? I wonder why its only advertising itself for the switches.

I have another question. CPT, do you think you could look @ http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51068.0 for me and let me know what your thoughts are? I'm really interested in putting a custom case on my incoming filco but am confused as can be. Some say the Vertex cases are great, others....not so much. Acrylic? What's that even like?

Also, what's the deal with these mini keyboards? I think its 60%? What % is a TKL? The mini keyboards I'm referring to are the ones that have the F keys still. Do they have just as much typing room as any other board? Do they take standard keycaps? or do you have to buy specific caps for a mini? Kittens?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5139 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 03:32:44 »
1. Also, what's the deal with these mini keyboards?
2. What % is a TKL?
3. The mini keyboards I'm referring to are the ones that have the F keys still.
4. Do they have just as much typing room as any other board?
5. Do they take standard keycaps? or do you have to buy specific caps for a mini?
6. Kittens?

1. This should help: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50523.0
2. 80%
3. You mean 75%, not 60%.
4. If you mean the spacing between the keys, yes.
5. The mods usually are non-standard sized.
6. Yes.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5140 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 07:56:16 »
1) And you agree that product is what I should buy for stabilizers? I wonder why its only advertising itself for the switches.

2) I have another question. CPT, do you think you could look @ http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51068.0 for me and let me know what your thoughts are? I'm really interested in putting a custom case on my incoming filco but am confused as can be. Some say the Vertex cases are great, others....not so much.

3) Acrylic? What's that even like?

1) This was already explained to you.

2) I don't know what a "Vertex" case is but the Vortex cases I've seen aren't good quality in my opinion. Poor casting, bad anodization, bad craftsmanship.

3) It's a plastic.

Not to be harsh Keytrun but you seriously need to read more thoroughly. This is twice now that you've asked something that was already explained specifically to you.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #5141 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:48:43 »
does a dolch windowed capslock exist?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #5142 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:49:32 »

Naturally no, but with the power of gmk and sherry, yes

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #5143 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 11:50:25 »
Yup! From the originative dolch extension kit.

http://imgur.com/a/LyEtp
github

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5144 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 13:09:41 »
Is there a spring identical to cherry mx heavy on originative? It doesn't look like it to me.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5145 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 13:10:16 »
Is there a spring identical to cherry mx heavy on originative? It doesn't look like it to me.

What are you calling cherry mx heavy? Originative has 80g springs.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #5146 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 13:12:18 »
Yup! From the originative dolch extension kit.

http://imgur.com/a/LyEtp

Thanks. I'll put that on my personal wishlist.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5147 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 13:20:13 »

The springs from blacks, greens, and whites. Are 80g the same? I didn't even see those because I only looked at the graph.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5148 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 13:23:55 »
The springs from blacks, greens, and whites. Are 80g the same? I didn't even see those because I only looked at the graph.

80g springs should be a bit lighter than the heavy Cherry springs but are the closest you will get from Originative.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5149 on: Wed, 20 November 2013, 14:28:14 »

Read this and rkinze's link