Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556123 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #5850 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 18:36:44 »
Days caps are in fact numbered on the bottom.  Well, mine are anyway.  And yes they are blank.  Another note on this.  Iirc the top two rows are not numbered but are the same profile.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #5851 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 10:17:46 »
Is there a good guide for restoration of yellowed plastic?

Best way? Denture tabs, eraser, hydrogen peroxide or some other method?

Different methods depending on whether it is yellowed by UV decay of the polymers or ingrown foreign contaminants such as tobacco smoke?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5852 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 10:21:21 »

Denture tabs work great for cleaning general dirt and hydrogen peroxide/retrobright (theres a few threads for some mixtures) for yellowed plastic.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5853 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:24:15 »
Where can I find the most detailed guide on reflashing a Teensy?  I want to get this old wyse board working to use as I like the layout but want to try it.  I don't do that well with software and that sort of thing.  So I would be wanting as much detail as I can.  If it makes a difference I am planning on using one of Soarers firmwares from this thread.  The board I am using is the 60 ASCII.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5854 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:29:46 »

Different methods depending on whether it is yellowed by UV decay of the polymers or ingrown foreign contaminants such as tobacco smoke?

I think I usually see people doing retr0bright. The original guide can be found here. There's some discussion about it on DT here and here.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5855 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:41:59 »

I think I usually see people doing retr0bright. The original guide can be found here. There's some discussion about it on DT here and here.

Just keep in mind that retr0brighting does change the structure and integrity of the plastic some.  I've seen some thinner and/or slightly less sound caps damaged by it, so only do it if the caps are thicker and/or strong and not showing signs of brittleness.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5856 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:04:14 »
Does every rubber dome on the HHKB have a spring under it?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5857 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:15:15 »

yes

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5858 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:38:39 »
Damn me waiting a couple of seconds after the timer ended so I wouldn't be too early.
Doh, I had done the same thing.  Dang.  I was really looking forward to getting my first Brobot for my first mech keyboard. :)

yes

Spacebar too?
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5859 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:41:08 »
Damn me waiting a couple of seconds after the timer ended so I wouldn't be too early.
Doh, I had done the same thing.  Dang.  I was really looking forward to getting my first Brobot for my first mech keyboard. :)

yes

Spacebar too?

Yes the spring under the dome is what makes the keypress register, so they have to have them in order for the keyboard to function properly.

The space bar also has an external supplemental spring on the stem as well.

Offline stancato9

« Reply #5860 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 00:08:41 »

yes

Spacebar too?

Yes the spring under the dome is what makes the keypress register, so they have to have them in order for the keyboard to function properly.

Thanks! Are the domes on the HHKB all 45g or are some different? I think I saw something about the escape being lighter but I can't find it again.
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5861 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 07:05:28 »

yes

Spacebar too?

Thanks! Are the domes on the HHKB all 45g or are some different? I think I saw something about the escape being lighter but I can't find it again.

AFAIK they are all 45g

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #5862 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 13:54:13 »
What goes into a topre type s? By that I mean what is the difference between that and a stock one. I know that the type s is silenced obviously but from what I can see the only difference is that there is a little foam circle that sits on the switch that dampens the sound. Why in the world does that cost 140 dollars more than a stock one?

Shouldn't it be a preference thing? I see plenty of people here who use rubber bands to mimic the type s dampening, I am just confused about the price difference.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5863 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 13:59:12 »
What goes into a topre type s? By that I mean what is the difference between that and a stock one. I know that the type s is silenced obviously but from what I can see the only difference is that there is a little foam circle that sits on the switch that dampens the sound. Why in the world does that cost 140 dollars more than a stock one?

Shouldn't it be a preference thing? I see plenty of people here who use rubber bands to mimic the type s dampening, I am just confused about the price difference.

I've read that buying a Type-S is a ripoff because you can just add the dental bands yourself to do the same thing as the silencing insert. I believe that's the only difference. However, I'm by no means a Topre expert (I don't own any Topre nor have I ever). So you should probably see if anyone else can chime in.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #5864 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 14:03:42 »

I've read that buying a Type-S is a ripoff because you can just add the dental bands yourself to do the same thing as the silencing insert. I believe that's the only difference. However, I'm by no means a Topre expert (I don't own any Topre nor have I ever). So you should probably see if anyone else can chime in.
Ripoff is an understatement if it is simply just little foam discs lol

That would be like logitech charging $300 for the g710+ because it has o rings installed. -.-

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5865 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 14:26:53 »
Don't forget the logo...

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5866 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 02:22:51 »
What color variations are there for G80s? Not counting special editions. I know there's two-tone, black on white and uniform gray. Are there variations of the uniform gray?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #5867 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 02:48:45 »
What color variations are there for G80s? Not counting special editions. I know there's two-tone, black on white and uniform gray. Are there variations of the uniform gray?

I have asked around a bit and simply the amount of different beige is staggering. It is made more difficult by Cherry not distinguishing colour in their article number. Here are three 1501HAD:

The first and second appear to both have the same warm beige alphas, but different mods. The third looks to be what Cherry calls hellgrau and not warm beige, but the lighting and exposure in that picture is quite different, so it might be the same. Is there any way to be able to identify if they are hellgrau or warm beige. Frankly, distinguishing amongst the warm beiges is more than I need. As long as I can get what are intended to be roughly the same colour, I will be able to match some sets up.

Offline nkzt

• DIY dye-sub explorer
    • Keycap DIY
« Reply #5868 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 03:50:58 »
Anyone knows the exact model number of KBC Poker II's keyboard controller? I've seen the photo but I couldn't identify it.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5869 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 04:13:32 »
Here's a link to the controller from the Pure: http://www.holtek.com.tw/english/docum/computer/82k94x.htm
I don't know if the Poker II uses the same chip, but it's possible. No electronics expert though ;)

Offline nkzt

• DIY dye-sub explorer
    • Keycap DIY
« Reply #5870 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 04:23:17 »
Thanks BlueBär, but Poker II's controller is made by Nuvoton, not Holtek.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #5871 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 11:18:22 »
Want to purchase a WASD Keyboard. Using a Realforce 87U 55g right now and want that same heavy feel. Would you say Cherry MX Black is the way to go? Thanks in advance.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5872 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 11:29:36 »
Want to purchase a WASD Keyboard. Using a Realforce 87U 55g right now and want that same heavy feel. Would you say Cherry MX Black is the way to go? Thanks in advance.

MX Black is a linear switch, so it shouldn't be close to Topre. Ergo Clears are often said to be close to Topre, but that is a switch you have to mod yourself from normal Clears, which WASD only offers in the Code keyboard. Is there a specific reason why you want a WASD keyboard?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5873 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 11:32:41 »

If you want heavy, just go clears and don't mod them.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #5874 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 11:55:59 »

MX Black is a linear switch, so it shouldn't be close to Topre. Ergo Clears are often said to be close to Topre, but that is a switch you have to mod yourself from normal Clears, which WASD only offers in the Code keyboard. Is there a specific reason why you want a WASD keyboard?

If you want heavy, just go clears and don't mod them.

Good question BlueBär lol. I feel like I just want a more modifiable keyboard because Cherry switches and keycaps are more common. Clears sound perfect for me then. If I switch the caps, will the LED's interfere you think? If not, I will consider. Then again, CODE is all sold out and clears are apparently hard to get. Any suggestions on a TKL Clear switch keyboard?

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5875 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 12:11:32 »
Good question BlueBär lol. I feel like I just want a more modifiable keyboard because Cherry switches and keycaps are more common. Clears sound perfect for me then. If I switch the caps, will the LED's interfere you think? If not, I will consider. Then again, CODE is all sold out and clears are apparently hard to get. Any suggestions on a TKL Clear switch keyboard?

I don't know if the LEDs might interfere with thick Cherry profile caps for example (not sure what LEDs it uses). Somebody else has to answer this.
I think the Leopold FC700R is available in Clears, too (can't find one for sale though, and also the FC660M (which is not really a TKL).

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5876 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 16:40:39 »

I don't know if the LEDs might interfere with thick Cherry profile caps for example (not sure what LEDs it uses). Somebody else has to answer this.
I think the Leopold FC700R is available in Clears, too (can't find one for sale though, and also the FC660M (which is not really a TKL).

I have tested thick pbt keycaps with 2x3x4mm rectangular LEDs and they do not touch. I have heard that if you get the 3mm round LEDs, you have to file off the top.

I can look around and see if I can find a tkl with clears for you.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #5877 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 16:47:06 »
I have tested thick pbt keycaps with 2x3x4mm rectangular LEDs and they do not touch. I have heard that if you get the 3mm round LEDs, you have to file off the top.

2x3x4mm work, I know, but we're talking about the original ones from the Code, it uses 3mm round ones.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5878 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 19:14:34 »

2x3x4mm work, I know, but we're talking about the original ones from the Code, it uses 3mm round ones.

Oh, sorry I was not reading carefully enough on my phone.  In that case I don't know. I will have to find the 'file down 3mm round' reference.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5879 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 19:15:44 »
Is it possible to get 2x3x4 RGB LEDs?

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #5880 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 19:16:07 »
Is it possible to get 2x3x4 RGB LEDs?

no

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5881 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 19:18:00 »

Offline kmiller8

• Banned

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5883 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 19:39:41 »
Now you have me intrigued on what the smallest through hole ones are

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #5884 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 19:48:04 »
Now you have me intrigued on what the smallest through hole ones are

5mm round

5x5x2mm square

SMD goes down to 1x1mm

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5885 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 20:07:45 »
The RGB color changing LEDs on my former KMAC (now owned by Glissant) were 3mm round. I don't know where they came from, though. I bought the KMAC second hand from jrockroll.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #5886 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 20:10:48 »
The RGB color changing LEDs on my former KMAC (now owned by Glissant) were 3mm round. I don't know where they came from, though. I bought the KMAC second hand from jrockroll.

were they 4-lead RGB, or 2-lead "RGB"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #5887 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 20:26:09 »
2-lead
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #5888 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 20:27:19 »

That'd be great Swill! Thanks! I was already looking around for a bit, but no luck. I guess they don't make a lot of them anymore. Also, LED's don't matter to me. Stock caps don't either because I can just replace them.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #5889 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 20:29:39 »
2-lead

and they just pulsed randomly?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5890 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 20:51:36 »
Does anyone know the exact spacing used on WYSE terminal boards?  Wondering if they stuck with the cherry spec for spacing.

Edit:  question 2. Would it negatively impact the intended use of an MX switch if the LED socket was drilled out in the top and bottom half of the switch?
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 January 2014, 20:53:35 by Melvang »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5891 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 23:07:33 »
The keys are 0.75 in just like most keyboards. Not sure what alternative spec cherry has released on this, however.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5892 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 07:52:36 »
Question 2. Would it negatively impact the intended use of an MX switch if the LED socket was drilled out in the top and bottom half of the switch?

If you drill out the top half, wouldn't you be drilling into the leaf spring? The switch needs the leaf spring to work.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5893 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:34:50 »

That'd be great Swill! Thanks! I was already looking around for a bit, but no luck. I guess they don't make a lot of them anymore. Also, LED's don't matter to me. Stock caps don't either because I can just replace them.

Not backlit or TKL but a good option.  I LOVE my FC660C because of the layout.  Its awsome.

Here is another good option if you want a TKL.

And here is a KeyCool TKL with MX Clears as well.  Free shipping is always nice...

I think thats what I got for you...

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
« Reply #5894 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:35:59 »
Edit:  question 2. Would it negatively impact the intended use of an MX switch if the LED socket was drilled out in the top and bottom half of the switch?

Are you talking about drilling out the 3mm hole to 5mm, I tried this, it will not affect the switch, but your cap will bump into the LED.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5895 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:38:39 »
Question 2. Would it negatively impact the intended use of an MX switch if the LED socket was drilled out in the top and bottom half of the switch?

If you drill out the top half, wouldn't you be drilling into the leaf spring? The switch needs the leaf spring to work.

The leaf spring is on the opposite side as the LED hole...

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #5896 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:51:37 »
what the difference CCnG ducky & tsangan?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5897 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:53:36 »

The leaf spring is on the opposite side as the LED hole...

Isn't that what he's asking? To drill out the casing on the opposite side of the LED hole?

what the difference CCnG ducky & tsangan?

What is the difference between a keycap set, a keyboard brand, and a keycap adapter kit? I'm not understanding your question.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:55:15 by CPTBadAss »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #5898 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:55:01 »
I'm not totally sure if this is what you're asking, but these are the key sizes for both:

Ducky Premier (CCnG) bottom row: 1.25 1.25 1.25 6.25 1.25 1.25 1.25 1.25
Tsangan kit: 1.5 1 1.5 7 1.5 1 1.5

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #5899 on: Wed, 15 January 2014, 08:59:02 »
What is the difference between a keycap set, a keyboard brand, and a keycap adapter kit? I'm not understanding your question.
The colors ;D,i see ducky looks nice
green&white look difference
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"