Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3556824 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #6000 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 10:35:52 »
Yeah, I think hot glue to keep the switches in place.

And it sounds like you will need to use the bottom row of the PCB so you can keep that stabilizer. You can either wire to the traces, or simply wire to the switch pins as you are doing with the rest of the keyboard.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6001 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 11:05:05 »
Cool thanks guys.  I don't think I need to add that much to the holes.  I probably only need .015 inch at the most.  I was going to try a couple with a bit of electrical tape at the top and bottom edges of the hole and see how that felt.  I did want something a little more permanent than that though.  Was thinking of just trying the tape to gauge how much I need to add.  Or were you guys thinking of just hot gluing the switches in place?  How well does that remove for future stem/spring swaps?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #6002 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 23:18:01 »
Where can I find a good picture of a green keycap from wasdkeyboards? I don't want the ones from their website, they are pretty bad from my experience ordering from them.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #6003 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 23:29:58 »
Where can I find a good picture of a green keycap from wasdkeyboards? I don't want the ones from their website, they are pretty bad from my experience ordering from them.

I think you can try to visit their facebook :

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=537230012982673&set=a.537229842982690.1073741825.209777592394585&type=3&theater

I had one picture but the green keycaps are not clear enough:
I like linear switches

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #6004 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 23:38:59 »
Might seem like a random question, but I'll ask anyways.

How are keycaps automatically placed onto keyboards in commercially mass produced factories?

I would think keyboards with Cherry MX stabs would be easy, but how would the machines get it on Costar stabs? Since it requires a 3 step process to get a costar stabilized key on....or are they placed on manually? :eek:

Another question just popped in my mind. How about the O-rings that Logitech uses? How would they align the orings to automate the process :eek:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #6005 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 23:41:15 »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=537230012982673&set=a.537229842982690.1073741825.209777592394585&type=3&theater

Show Image

Thanks, I am thinking we might just need to order a single green cap from them. I just don't trust their pics, all their colors seem oversaturated and edited on their website. Their dark grey is so much lighter than their website pictures would make you think, especially the ones of user made keyboards like what you just linked.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6006 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 23:52:44 »

Show Image

Thanks, I am thinking we might just need to order a single green cap from them. I just don't trust their pics, all their colors seem oversaturated and edited on their website. Their dark grey is so much lighter than their website pictures would make you think, especially the ones of user made keyboards like what you just linked.

Maybe order their Sampler Kit - includes a green keycap and one of each other colour in case you need them in the future.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6007 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 23:57:23 »
Well I tried a couple of the switches with some black fingernail polish on the top and the bottom of the switch opening and it tightened up the switches a lot.  But I didn't wait long enough for them to dry so they got a little mucked up pulling the switches back out.  I just got done with doing the entire plate with it.  Going to wait until tomorrow afternoon to put switches back into the plate and see how that works.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6008 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 00:07:48 »
My g80 case is a little creaky. I screwed all the screws in pretty tightly, it shouldn't be like this. Any fixes?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6009 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 00:10:18 »
My g80 case is a little creaky. I screwed all the screws in pretty tightly, it shouldn't be like this. Any fixes?

back the screws off a touch?

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #6010 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 00:17:26 »

IMO, their keycaps colour has been improved recently.
The green and the gray are ok. Here are mine, I took them with SP spacebar (on the top) and GMK spacebar (on the right), so you can have comparison.
51784-0

WASD green VS my CCNG round 2
51787-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2014, 00:27:27 by phoenix1234 »
I like linear switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6011 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 08:50:48 »

Think you're missing the point I'm trying to make. Yes I agree that the nubs and notches are another form of identification. I'm saying that the nub is made from a sprue mark.

But then wouldn't even non-clicky switches have some kind of sprue mark in that location??

At a quick glance I thought I saw sprue marks in a different location on the stem. Perhaps the non-clicky switches have that area ground off or the mold has a part that changes depending on what stem its making?

1) I don't see anything similar anywhere on this mx brown switch I have sitting here.

2) Also, this might not be the perfect place to ask this, but where is the best/cheapest place to get vintage black switches?

1) I could very well be wrong. I'm taking an educated guess.

2) WhiskyTango was selling them for very cheap in the classifieds at one point.

How are keycaps automatically placed onto keyboards in commercially mass produced factories?

I would think keyboards with Cherry MX stabs would be easy, but how would the machines get it on Costar stabs? Since it requires a 3 step process to get a costar stabilized key on....or are they placed on manually? :eek:

Another question just popped in my mind. How about the O-rings that Logitech uses? How would they align the orings to automate the process :eek:

I imagine they use a combination of workers and machines. You have to remember that labor is plentiful and cheap in China and Taiwan, where many of the keyboards we use are made. So there very well could be a huge line of workers who do things like install stabilizers. I don't know for sure. There are robots that will do pick and place though. Some quick videos I found on YouTube:

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #6012 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 08:57:18 »
Which material best for plate of this? :)
ACP, MDF, Acrylic, Polywood, Melaminto,Tripleks
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6013 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 09:00:30 »

I don't think any of the composite wood materials you listed wood be good. I would imagine them being brittle. And I'm not a fan of acrylic. ACP with a non-wood core looks like the best option of what you've listed. I would recommend plates made of aluminum or stainless steel.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6014 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 09:26:40 »
Just wanted to report back and say that the fingernail polish on the switch holes worked like a champ.  The switches now fit just as tight as my Das if not a touch tighter.  No more pulling the whole switch out of the plate removing caps.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6015 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 09:27:14 »
Just wanted to report back and say that the fingernail polish on the switch holes worked like a champ.  The switches now fit just as tight as my Das if not a touch tighter.  No more pulling the whole switch out of the plate removing caps.

Thanks for letting us know...now I've found a worthwhile use for fingernail polish!!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6016 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 09:46:14 »

Thanks for letting us know...now I've found a worthwhile use for fingernail polish!!

Now to figure out the details on getting this thing wired up and the firmware made and flashed.  Plus I still need to cut the bottom row off the PCB for the PCB mount space bar stab.

Any suggestions for cutting the bottom row off a PCB?  I have a coping saw, dremel with cut off wheels, 4" angle grinder with cut off wheels, and a heavy utility knife available.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2014, 09:50:33 by Melvang »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6017 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 09:51:53 »
Now to figure out the details on getting this thing wired up and the firmware made and flashed.  Plus I still need to cut the bottom row off the PCB for the PCB mount space bar stab.

Any suggestions for cutting the bottom row off a PCB?  I have a coping saw, dremel with cut off wheels, 4" angle grinder with cut off wheels, and a heavy utility knife available.

Dremel seems like it would work fine. And I'm sure your angle grinder or coping saw will work if the Dremel doesn't. lol.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6018 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 09:53:32 »

Dremel seems like it would work fine. And I'm sure your angle grinder or coping saw will work if the Dremel doesn't. lol.

True its a Dewalt grinder.  I have cut 6"x6"x1/2" angle iron with them.  Just looking for an option that will leave a somewhat clean edge with minimal clean up required.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #6019 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:38:11 »

I don't think any of the composite wood materials you listed wood be good. I would imagine them being brittle. And I'm not a fan of acrylic. ACP with a non-wood core looks like the best option of what you've listed. I would recommend plates made of aluminum or stainless steel.
Alumunium Composite Panel :- that pretty good?,i choose ACP if so :)
Edit:they only can cutting ACP 4mm :confused:,so the alternative just acrylic
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2014, 22:58:31 by yasuo »

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline yasuo

« Reply #6020 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 09:16:39 »
Is DCS SP Profile different with OEM? and shorter than DSA
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 January 2014, 09:20:28 by yasuo »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6021 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 09:24:21 »
1) Is DCS SP Profile different with OEM?
2) and shorter than DSA

1) SP DCS is SP's copy of Cherry profile. So it's different from OEM.
2) DSA is the shortest profile I've seen that is commonly available.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #6022 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 09:41:43 »
Tried searching for this to no avail.

Is it possible to turn an RJ-45 plug into a USB through the use of an adapter? Furthermore, would a commonplace RJ-45 ethernet to USB dongle work for the purpose of connecting an old keyboard to PC this way? I'm confused if it would work because those dongles are usually meant for internet connection. Appreciate any responses posted.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 January 2014, 09:54:54 by jdcarpe »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6023 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 09:55:00 »

Is it possible to turn an RJ-45 plug into a USB through the use of an adapter? Furthermore, would a commonplace RJ-45 ethernet to USB dongle work for the purpose of connecting an old keyboard to PC this way? I'm confused if it would work because those dongles are usually meant for internet connection. Appreciate any responses posted.

No, and no.

If you want to connect a terminal keyboard with an RJ-45 connector to a modern PC, you will need to use a XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO.

Otherwise, maybe you are referring to the SDL connector of an IBM Model M? Then you need an SDL-to-USB (active) converter.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #6024 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 10:00:08 »

No, and no.

If you want to connect a terminal keyboard with an RJ-45 connector to a modern PC, you will need to use a XT/AT/PS2/Terminal to USB Converter with NKRO.

Otherwise, maybe you are referring to the SDL connector of an IBM Model M? Then you need an SDL-to-USB (active) converter.

Thanks carpe. I found a numpad I am considering purchasing IBM Numeric Keypad 1379550 w/RJ-45 connector MODEL M4-1 BY LEXMARK. So I'm guessing it's the first answer?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6025 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 10:07:31 »

No, and no.

Thanks carpe. I found a numpad I am considering purchasing IBM Numeric Keypad 1379550 w/RJ-45 connector MODEL M4-1 BY LEXMARK. So I'm guessing it's the first answer?

Yes, that will surely work for you.

in memoriam

Offline elton5354

« Reply #6026 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:13:41 »
Where do I buy MX Lock switches?  I tried ordering from 7bit, but he cancelled the order for them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6027 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:18:41 »
Where do I buy MX Lock switches?  I tried ordering from 7bit, but he cancelled the order for them.

That's a good question, my guess is classifieds or a parts place like digikey or mouser

I wouldn't mind having one myself  :-X

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #6028 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:30:02 »

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/cherry-electrical-mx1a31nn.html?p=11075424

Pricey as ****, but they claim to have them.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6029 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:34:31 »
I also need some mx locks!

tin never sent me mine....

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/cherry-electrical-mx1a31nn.html?p=11075424

Pricey as ****, but they claim to have them.

Holy **** $11 for one switch...

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #6030 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:38:02 »
Holy **** $11 for one switch...

minimum order $30, better get 3

Offline winniez

« Reply #6031 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 14:17:08 »
Quick question for Topre guys. Are the keycaps interchangable between rows 2, 3 and 4 (do they have the same angle)? I'm thinking about buying a Realforce but I would like to have a dvorak layout. Blanks would be fine aswell but the keysets are rather expensive.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6032 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 14:20:58 »
Quick question for Topre guys. Are the keycaps interchangable between rows 2, 3 and 4 (do they have the same angle)? I'm thinking about buying a Realforce but I would like to have a dvorak layout. Blanks would be fine aswell but the keysets are rather expensive.

No, they are profiled to the rows.

in memoriam

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #6033 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 01:53:31 »
is it possible to remove the legend on the keycap which is pad printing but without destroy the texture of the keycap or making it shine?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6034 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 02:22:12 »
is it possible to remove the legend on the keycap which is pad printing but without destroy the texture of the keycap or making it shine?

I am interested in this as well!

The stock caps on my Poker II are starting to fade so I was wondering whether there is a way to get rid of the legends for a pseudo blank look. The legends seem to be infilled somehow, so I hope the white letters could be removed without damaging the gray base cap.

Offline yasuo

« Reply #6035 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 02:25:53 »
where i can get plate poker X .dwg? :)

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #6036 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 02:27:36 »

I am interested in this as well!

The stock caps on my Poker II are starting to fade so I was wondering whether there is a way to get rid of the legends for a pseudo blank look. The legends seem to be infilled somehow, so I hope the white letters could be removed without damaging the gray base cap.
some of my keyboards that I have used for 10 years, they have pad print keycaps, but the legend is still there  :confused:

One more question, the function/num row of GMK set i row A or B?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6037 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 07:51:03 »
where i can get plate poker X .dwg? :)

Ask one of the people who have made the plates in the past if they'll share with you. They might also be in the GH CAD resources thread in the OP.

1) is it possible to remove the legend on the keycap which is pad printing but without destroy the texture of the keycap or making it shine?

2) One more question, the function/num row of GMK set is row A or B?

1) A quick Google search yields the following links for your reading pleasure:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=6318.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33043.msg624831#msg624831
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39014.msg759480#msg759480
http://imgur.com/a/3xreN
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/how-to-remove-caps-and-scroll-legends-from-a-filco-t1100.html

2) Reading over the discussion for CMYW, I believe it is B profile.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6038 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 07:55:06 »
I think function row should actually be E?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6039 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 07:56:17 »
I think function row should actually be E?

Did I misread? Can you find a link with the profiles BlueBär?  :-*

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6040 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 08:04:51 »
Well the post you linked was for RGB sets...
Also according to this relegendables are row E only and relegendables are usually in the function row.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6041 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 08:07:05 »
Well the post you linked was for RGB sets...
Also according to this relegendables are row E only and relegendables are usually in the function row.

I was skimming, oh well :(. Looks like your link is correct :D.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6042 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 08:15:56 »
I was skimming, oh well :(. Looks like your link is correct :D.

It's a bit confusing as SP "counts" the opposite way :rolleyes:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6043 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 08:51:52 »
Right, the function/number row profile is E. Starting from the bottom is B-B-C-D-E-E. Now some have A-B-C-D-E-F, but that is not common.

in memoriam

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6044 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 09:32:10 »
Right, the function/number row profile is E. Starting from the bottom is B-B-C-D-E-E. Now some have A-B-C-D-E-F, but that is not common.

Is there a reason why not? Is it actually more expensive?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #6045 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 11:48:25 »
Thanks!  :-* I thought that count from top to bottom before

Offline cseng

« Reply #6046 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 17:54:31 »
Are there any switches that can be described as light and non-clicky like MX red, but tactile? Does anyone know?
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2014, 17:56:07 by cseng »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6047 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 17:57:35 »
Are there any switches that can be described as light and non-clicky like MX red, but tactile? Does anyone know?

MX Brown

in memoriam

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6048 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 18:44:38 »

MX Brown

Some people describe them as scratchy.  If you swap between new and used browns chances are you can feel a difference as the tactile bump is pretty light.  I really like ergo clears.  Clear switches with springs from reds, blues, or browns.  Both ergo clears and browns feel really nice lubed.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #6049 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 19:50:00 »

MX Brown

Some people describe them as scratchy.  If you swap between new and used browns chances are you can feel a difference as the tactile bump is pretty light.  I really like ergo clears.  Clear switches with springs from reds, blues, or browns.  Both ergo clears and browns feel really nice lubed.

I will agree that lubed browns feel really nice.

But I don't at all like ergo clears. I much prefer stock clears to ergos.

in memoriam