Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3553288 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #11250 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 09:26:50 »
Hey guys, which one should i get as a first mechanical keyboard  :thumb:

CM Storm QuickFire Rapid I
Ducky Shine 3 TKL

both with MX Browns !

Canīt decide :(

What exactly are you looking for in a keyboard? You like backlighting? Do the stabilizers matter to you? Keycaps? PCB quality?

Offline baslo

« Reply #11251 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 09:30:45 »
Hey guys, which one should i get as a first mechanical keyboard  :thumb:

CM Storm QuickFire Rapid I
Ducky Shine 3 TKL

both with MX Browns !

Canīt decide :(

What exactly are you looking for in a keyboard? You like backlighting? Do the stabilizers matter to you? Keycaps? PCB quality?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68086.0  :cool:

Offline oledome

• not batman
« Reply #11252 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 14:09:53 »
Say you bought a keyboard just for its keycaps to go on another, what would you do with the one you just bought?

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #11253 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 14:12:17 »
So I'm trying to update the firmware on a Leeku 1800 board. I think I have the latest firmware and the bootload program.

So with an update file, what do I actually type to flash the firmware? I have the command prompt open and when I run bootloadhid.exe by itself I only get "usage: bootloadhid.exe [-r] [<intel-hexfile>]" so I imagine I need to tell it the hex file, but I'm unsure how exactly to do that.

I did one attempt where I typed "bootloadhid.exe -r main_140611.hex" and it just told me the specified device was not found.

I'm using the board via USB if that is any help, and I don't want to do something bad that might render the board useless.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11254 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 14:15:09 »
Say you bought a keyboard just for its keycaps to go on another, what would you do with the one you just bought?

Do you want the second board?

Yes = Keep it
No = Sell it

Offline litesung

« Reply #11255 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 15:19:52 »
DELETED
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 23:51:29 by litesung »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11256 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 16:00:58 »
Does Unicomp have tooling to make single unit one piece keys?

Also, has anyone done a GB with them for a few custom legends?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11257 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 18:13:47 »
So I'm trying to update the firmware on a Leeku 1800 board. I think I have the latest firmware and the bootload program.

So with an update file, what do I actually type to flash the firmware? I have the command prompt open and when I run bootloadhid.exe by itself I only get "usage: bootloadhid.exe [-r] [<intel-hexfile>]" so I imagine I need to tell it the hex file, but I'm unsure how exactly to do that.

I did one attempt where I typed "bootloadhid.exe -r main_140611.hex" and it just told me the specified device was not found.

I'm using the board via USB if that is any help, and I don't want to do something bad that might render the board useless.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Does this link help at all? http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/data/7034142

1) Does Unicomp have tooling to make single unit one piece keys?

2) Also, has anyone done a GB with them for a few custom legends?

1) I think so? I've gotten 1 piece caps from them before

2) Yes. Those Geekhack caps and the media caps (pause, forward, play, etc) were from mkawa's work with them.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #11258 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 18:58:54 »
Does anyone have a top right acrylic ergodox file I can use to get cut with acrylic? I found one off of GitHub since the ergodox.org one is broken, but that file is 3/4 off screen and I can't zoom out further. I am a noob, so any help is appreciated.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11259 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 19:23:43 »
Does anyone have a picture of imgur gallery of SA row 3 or DSA profile caps on a keyboard with an artisan keycap (HKP, CC, BB, etc) on the escape key?  I'm trying to get a reference or idea on what 1976/Evergreen would look like on a Leopold FC660M with a CC or BB on the escape key.

Thanks!

This is the best I can do.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #11260 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 14:33:49 »
Just built my 4th or 5th ErgoDox for someone else and am not getting any functionality out of the keyboard (hitting keys does not yield any input)

Potentially helpful information:
I used the through hole diodes how I normally do when I build and ErgoDox, soldered them onto the bottom side of the PCB like I have seen in a lot of Korean assembled keyboards where they snip off of the top part from the top of the PCB.
Black line side of the diode aligned with the square pad.
I get an Auto Mode Disabled error with the firmware.eep in automatic. Maybe this is the culprit and it isn't copying the firmware correctly?
The teensy LED no longer lights up at all no matter what when plugging it in or pushing the button.
I might have sent the hex file over before the .eep on accident the first time I was trying to flash the firmware.

Edit - I tried to continuity test my diodes and they don't work. Even when not soldered on the board. Is it possible they are bad or more likely I'm doing my continuity test wrong?
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 January 2015, 15:15:14 by danielucf »
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline litesung

« Reply #11261 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:27:01 »
DELETED
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 23:51:20 by litesung »

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11262 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:48:36 »
Is there anywhere to go to buy old group buys besides classifieds and /r/mechmarket? I'm poking around for a Nuclear Data but I can't post on classifieds 'cause my account isn't 60 days old yet.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11263 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:53:13 »
Is there anywhere to go to buy old group buys besides classifieds and /r/mechmarket? I'm poking around for a Nuclear Data but I can't post on classifieds 'cause my account isn't 60 days old yet.

No, that's about it. You could always go to the group buy thread, assuming it's not locked, and post in there that you're willing to buy if anyone is selling. It's allowed.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11264 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:53:57 »

No, that's about it. You could always go to the group buy thread, assuming it's not locked, and post in there that you're willing to buy if anyone is selling. It's allowed.
Even if it's however old? I really want a nuclear data but I doubt that people would want me posting in that thread tbh.
Realforce RF87UB 45g Uniform | Leopold FC660C w/ TMK | IBM Model M - 3/24/1997 | IBM Model F 122 - 11/25/1985 ANSI'd w/ TMK | IBM Model F XT in a box

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11265 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:55:00 »

Even if it's however old? I really want a nuclear data but I doubt that people would want me posting in that thread tbh.

Yeah, there's no rule against necros. And the thread is usually left open, so that people can post after the buy about shipping issues, wrong keys, etc.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11266 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 19:57:00 »

Yeah, there's no rule against necros. And the thread is usually left open, so that people can post after the buy about shipping issues, wrong keys, etc.
Fair enough, I'm off to go bother some people then.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11267 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 02:13:21 »
Anywhere to buy double shot PBT sets right now?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #11272 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 11:22:47 »
Just wondering, does anyone know the mass of a GMK escape key? Approximate mass is fine, I just don't own a scale that is super precise.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11273 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 13:11:20 »
Just wondering, does anyone know the mass of a GMK escape key? Approximate mass is fine, I just don't own a scale that is super precise.

mass like weight or mass like actual mass
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11274 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 13:32:58 »

mass like weight or mass like actual mass

Mass is mass.  Weight is the measure of the amount of effect Earths gravity has on an object, whereas mass is the amount of actual stuff is in an object.  They are used interchangeably a lot of times but, technically they are not the same.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11275 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 16:31:10 »

My cheapo scale measures 1g but it's not very accurate at all. I'd wait for someone with a better scale to try it :(.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #11276 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 16:33:18 »
Maybe a different question: does anyone know the volume of a gmk escape key?

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #11277 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 19:38:47 »
Looking to order components to assemble my very own step before endgame 60% board.

My layout will be winkeyless. Thinking stickered MX Green switches, blue in switch LEDs, purpleish pink leds for the underglow, clear plate so that PCB is visible from the top. Will ultimately end up with the PBT dye sub miami/odessa set from Ivan's group buy.

Do I have everything I would need (minus the switches) to begin assembling the board?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11278 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 20:49:07 »
Looking to order components to assemble my very own step before endgame 60% board.

My layout will be winkeyless. Thinking stickered MX Green switches, blue in switch LEDs, purpleish pink leds for the underglow, clear plate so that PCB is visible from the top. Will ultimately end up with the PBT dye sub miami/odessa set from Ivan's group buy.

Do I have everything I would need (minus the switches) to begin assembling the board?
Show Image

That looks right to me.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11279 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 20:49:35 »

Show Image

Just missing a USB cable :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11280 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:12:16 »

Show Image

You can get that at about any department store.  If you just need something, for mini get a PS3 charging cord, a teensy based keyboard functions 100% with a 10 foot cord.  For micro, just a cell phone charging cord.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #11281 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 23:35:55 »
For a matrix layout, does the regular 7x Cherry spacebar have the stems where a 1 by 7 line of switches would have at least 2 stems? So if I desoldered 5 out of seven switches next to each other, could I put a 7x cherry spacebar on the two switches remaining.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11282 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:47:20 »
You can get that at about any department store.  If you just need something, for mini get a PS3 charging cord, a teensy based keyboard functions 100% with a 10 foot cord.  For micro, just a cell phone charging cord.

I find most department stores are overpriced with their cables. Monoprice.com is where it's at.

For a matrix layout, does the regular 7x Cherry spacebar have the stems where a 1 by 7 line of switches would have at least 2 stems? So if I desoldered 5 out of seven switches next to each other, could I put a 7x cherry spacebar on the two switches remaining.

Maybe you could do this?. I've never tried it and I wouldn't be able to test until I'm at home. But the pictures in that post lead me to believe that it would work.

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #11283 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 09:59:19 »

I'll probably make one myself or just order one from the makers in our community.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11284 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 10:02:57 »

You would need three switches, one in the center for the switch stem, and two on the outsides for the stabilizer stems. The stabilizer stems of a 7u spacebar align perfectly with the switch centers 3u out from the center.

in memoriam

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #11285 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 10:14:42 »
Concerning elitekeyboards gmk caps and gmk rgby groupbuy caps colors.  Arent the yellows the same, the  green is lime with ek and dark green in gb.  I use this chart
http://deskthority.net/wiki/GMK_colours
any better chart available with pictures? so according to this chart ek green is AE, gb green is N7.  The reds are the same.  the gb blue is v4, and the ek blue is n5.  Is this all correct?  Also, when did ek get those caps?  There was no group buy which ran is it?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11286 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 10:36:40 »
1) Concerning elitekeyboards gmk caps and gmk rgby groupbuy caps colors.  Arent the yellows the same, the  green is lime with ek and dark green in gb.  I use this chart
http://deskthority.net/wiki/GMK_colours 

so according to this chart ek green is AE, gb green is N7.  The reds are the same.  the gb blue is v4, and the ek blue is n5.  Is this all correct? 
2) any better chart available with pictures?
3) Also, when did ek get those caps?  There was no group buy which ran is it?

1) I believe you're analysis is correct.

2) Here's some pictures of the GMK color samples I could find. AFAIK, there's not a very comprehensive shot like the SP ABS or PBT shots that mashby loaded.

From Ivan

From Dubsgalore

Believe it's from Sherry

Believe it's from BroadMonkey?

3) EK had them made for their store/business. There was no GB.

Edit: billnye was nice enough to send me this picture from GMK

« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 11:01:11 by CPTBadAss »

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #11287 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 11:02:43 »
good situation
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 11:14:22 by billnye »

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #11288 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:17:21 »
Is there a listing, glossary, or otherwise compilation of popular Korean boards around? I'm looking to plan a build sometime this year and am having trouble wrapping my mind around the options available. Duck, LZ, KMAC, GON, OTD, kbdmania :confused:
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11289 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 14:21:24 »
Is there a listing, glossary, or otherwise compilation of popular Korean boards around? I'm looking to plan a build sometime this year and am having trouble wrapping my mind around the options available. Duck, LZ, KMAC, GON, OTD, kbdmania :confused:

Post your Korean keyboard thread is good. Sherryton used to have a thread where he covered a lot of the boards but I can't find it now.

OTD and KBDmania are Korean community forums. Duck, GON, LZ are builders of their eponymous keyboards. KMAC (Korean Mania Attic Attack) is a board from the OTD community.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11290 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:01:18 »
So I finished taking off my keycaps b/c I figured it was time for a cleaning (got it last august, so 5 months give or take). I know I shouldn't use Alcohol since my caps are UV-Printed but are Dishwasher Fluid/Denture tabs still viable? also I CAN drip some alcohol into one of my sticky switches, after something got spilled in them, right? Just make sure it's clear before I put the caps back.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11291 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:03:26 »
So I finished taking off my keycaps b/c I figured it was time for a cleaning (got it last august, so 5 months give or take). I know I shouldn't use Alcohol since my caps are UV-Printed but are Dishwasher Fluid/Denture tabs still viable? also I CAN drip some alcohol into one of my sticky switches, after something got spilled in them, right? Just make sure it's clear before I put the caps back.

Yes, neither dishwashing liquid nor denture tabs should harm the UV coated pad print on your caps.

And yes, as long as it's 91% alcohol, you should be fine. When you get brave, you can desolder the switch, open it, and clean it properly. :)

in memoriam

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11292 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:04:13 »

Yes, neither dishwashing liquid nor denture tabs should harm the UV coated pad print on your caps.

And yes, as long as it's 91% alcohol, you should be fine. When you get brave, you can desolder the switch, open it, and clean it properly. :)
lol, I'm not brave enough for that yet, I just figured out how to get keys off with stabs under. I need to get the little inserts out and then go to town. Also I was thinking of switching to dvorak when I put it back on just for fun. worth it? I kinda want to try it.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11293 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:08:10 »

lol, I'm not brave enough for that yet, I just figured out how to get keys off with stabs under. I need to get the little inserts out and then go to town. Also I was thinking of switching to dvorak when I put it back on just for fun. worth it? I kinda want to try it.

If your caps are anything but a flat profile, or buckling springs, it will look really goofy and feel even worse.

That being said, just put them back in the right spot, bring up a picture of the layout, and switch your keyboard to it in the OS settings.  For 8.1, you can setup a hot key to swap keyboard layouts.

Offline hking0036

« Reply #11294 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:18:09 »

If your caps are anything but a flat profile, or buckling springs, it will look really goofy and feel even worse.

That being said, just put them back in the right spot, bring up a picture of the layout, and switch your keyboard to it in the OS settings.  For 8.1, you can setup a hot key to swap keyboard layouts.
I guess not then :p It just seemed like a fun thing to try, oh well.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #11295 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 18:17:45 »
Wheres the thread that shows how to turn off new replies posted? I just got boned by it.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11296 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 18:22:57 »
Wheres the thread that shows how to turn off new replies posted? I just got boned by it.

Go to: Profile summery > Look and Layout under modify profile tab > then there's a check box labeled "Don't warn on new replies made while posting." > then "change profile" button
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #11297 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 18:23:47 »

Go to: Profile summery > Look and Layout under modify profile tab > then there's a check box labeled "Don't warn on new replies made while posting." > then "change profile" button
thanks

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11298 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 19:19:00 »
Has anyone done a video comparison between two identical F keyboards, one with and one without floss mod?

If so link please?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11299 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 19:37:58 »
what adapter do i need to plug my hhkb to my ipad?

is it just the camera usb adapter?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.