Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555687 times)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #11150 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 21:34:46 »
Corsair K70 RGB.
Does it use standard ANSI stabilizer/spacebar sizes?
Is it compatible with the phantom plates?
Is it compatible with aluminium tenkeyless cases like the filco/vortex?

K70 does NOT use standard bottom row.
It uses 1.5 x 1 x 1.25 x 6.5 x 1.25 x 1 x 1 x 1.5

I'm not sure how to answer the rest, the bottom row caps wouldn't be compatible with a phantom plate since phantom is standard but everything besides the space bar stabs could be harvested used on a phantom plate, you'd just have source a 6.25u spacebar stab wire.
The entire piece is installed on an aluminum plate which also makes up the case so it's not compatible with anything really.

How about the Corsair K95 RGB ?

Offline Moralless

« Reply #11151 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 21:44:32 »
Corsair K70 RGB.
Does it use standard ANSI stabilizer/spacebar sizes?
Is it compatible with the phantom plates?
Is it compatible with aluminium tenkeyless cases like the filco/vortex?

K70 does NOT use standard bottom row.
It uses 1.5 x 1 x 1.25 x 6.5 x 1.25 x 1 x 1 x 1.5

I'm not sure how to answer the rest, the bottom row caps wouldn't be compatible with a phantom plate since phantom is standard but everything besides the space bar stabs could be harvested used on a phantom plate, you'd just have source a 6.25u spacebar stab wire.
The entire piece is installed on an aluminum plate which also makes up the case so it's not compatible with anything really.

How about the Corsair K95 RGB ?

All Corsair keyboards use the same non-standard bottom row. Since it's a full size keyboard, it is not compatible with phantom plates and the TKL cases by filco and vortex (please note: I'm not sure if there are any full sized cases made by them either).

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11152 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 18:34:21 »

All Corsair keyboards use the same non-standard bottom row. Since it's a full size keyboard, it is not compatible with phantom plates and the TKL cases by filco and vortex (please note: I'm not sure if there are any full sized cases made by them either).

sorry I should have made a complete question. I was thinking about the layout. thanks for answering both questions bro. :D

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #11153 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 20:55:21 »
How much does a Tex 60% aluminum case weigh?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11154 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 21:48:07 »

(link removed)
nvm sorry that one's acrylic :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 January 2015, 21:49:39 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MGH

« Reply #11155 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 21:49:34 »

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-acrylic-cnc-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

5.68oz (161.03g)
Aluminum, not Acrylic :)) I couldn't find any info on mechanicalkeyboards.com

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11156 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 22:28:00 »

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tex-acrylic-cnc-keyboard-case?mode=guest_open

5.68oz (161.03g)
Aluminum, not Acrylic :)) I couldn't find any info on mechanicalkeyboards.com

Sorry, I didn't notice the material until too late.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/metal-60-case?mode=guest_open

This is Vortex aluminium case at 12.99oz (368.26g).

A similar case from Pexon http://pexonpcs.co.uk/products/60-aluminium-case is around 320g.

Most 60% cases would probably be around the same weight.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11157 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 17:53:21 »

My scale says 13.1 oz.

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #11158 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 21:45:26 »
I was looking to get Ducky Mini, but I don't like how wide the bezel of the case is (part around the keys) and that it is silver. Are there any other aluminum cases that would fit the Ducky Mini?

I was looking at a case made by Tex, but the USB port is in a different place than on the Mini. I'll link it anyways just to give an idea of what I'm looking for. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=630

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11159 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 06:39:26 »
I was looking to get Ducky Mini, but I don't like how wide the bezel of the case is (part around the keys) and that it is silver. Are there any other aluminum cases that would fit the Ducky Mini?

I was looking at a case made by Tex, but the USB port is in a different place than on the Mini. I'll link it anyways just to give an idea of what I'm looking for. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=630

You might as well just get a Poker or a Pure or something similar if you want to go that route, since those boards are compatible with all standard cases
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #11160 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:05:30 »

You might as well just get a Poker or a Pure or something similar if you want to go that route, since those boards are compatible with all standard cases
The reason I was thinking of the Mini was because I didn't really want to install backlights myself/I wanted purple backlighting.

Offline intelli78

Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11162 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:45:39 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-M-Space-Saving-Keyboard-SSK-ID5000133-41G3613-/261742103850?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf10b8d2a

Does that look like an Industrial to anyone else? Pic is so potato.

Looks like its got an instagram filter on it :D

Still though, I'd call industrial. It looks overly blue, so maybe tone down the blue in a photo editor and see if that helps

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11163 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:45:56 »

Offline intelli78

« Reply #11164 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:49:30 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11167 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 20:10:49 »
Would this layout be possible using an AT as a starting point with just moving caps, barrels and such around or will it need a custom PCB?  I have done a little digging and found that the pcb does have pads in all places but I am not sure if the pads in the numpad area where I went from 2 unit keys to singles to make a 4x5 matrix register at the controller.

If possible, would both Soarers converter and xwhatsit controller work or do I need the xwhatsit due to using extra pads?

keyboard layout editor link

Edit:  finished legends.

Can it be done to an AT and keep stock PCB?
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 January 2015, 21:16:20 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11168 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 03:39:32 »
I think it could work. I'll have to check through etwentynine's AT model F build guide to see where the PCB pads are and which ones he's using (and how). If you need, I can soarer test my AT to see what pads are or arent usable. You can do this with the flip plates on the PCB (no case.barrels) if you're careful.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11169 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 12:54:20 »
I think it could work. I'll have to check through etwentynine's AT model F build guide to see where the PCB pads are and which ones he's using (and how). If you need, I can soarer test my AT to see what pads are or arent usable. You can do this with the flip plates on the PCB (no case.barrels) if you're careful.

According to some threads at DT it does look like it will work with either.  I think I will go with xwhatsit for this one.

Now that being said what are my options for getting one in hand for prioritizing speed or price?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11170 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 12:55:49 »
Now that being said what are my options for getting one in hand for prioritizing speed or price?

I think you're asking what the cheapest or fastest way to get an AT F? eBay, classifieds, ewaste recycler.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11171 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 12:58:38 »

I think you're asking what the cheapest or fastest way to get an AT F? eBay, classifieds, ewaste recycler.

Sorry was referring to xwhatsit controller.

Cheapest option vs fastest option

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11172 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:02:14 »

Cheapest is to buy it from xwhatsit. Fastest? There was a user on DT or GH who had like thirty controllers for sale and I think he was in the USA. If I had to pick? I'd get it from xwhatsit.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11173 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 13:50:19 »

Cheapest is to buy it from xwhatsit. Fastest? There was a user on DT or GH who had like thirty controllers for sale and I think he was in the USA. If I had to pick? I'd get it from xwhatsit.

His username here is Ellipse. I believe he still has three left. I bought two from him for $30 each, plus $5 shipping.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11174 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 14:00:03 »
Thanks guys, I am now debating on doing a small run of these.  Just not sure if I would need to test with a scope on each one or if that has already been taken care of and I would just need to solder it up and have at it with the software side.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11175 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 17:30:38 »
The PCBs from winkeyless come with controllers right? The first option "controller soldering and firmware update" is just for the actually soldering?

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline MGH

« Reply #11176 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:18:36 »
Has anyone used thin lube on clears to obtain a bump in between brown and clear?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11177 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:39:06 »
The PCBs from winkeyless come with controllers right? The first option "controller soldering and firmware update" is just for the actually soldering?

I can't tell. Google Translate isn't helping. I would guess that they don't from the pictures unless you specify in the first option.

Has anyone used thin lube on clears to obtain a bump in between brown and clear?

I'm not sure the lube consistency changes the feeling of the bump all that much. That being said, I've not tried it myself.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11178 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:42:06 »

yes, it comes with the controller regardless of whether or not you want it done for you or not. if you look below he has this state in the list (for the TKL anyways) "Tenkeyless-Sized PCB and Controller parts"
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11179 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:42:29 »

yes, it comes with the controller regardless of whether or not you want it done for you or not. if you look below he has this state in the list (for the TKL anyways) "Tenkeyless-Sized PCB and Controller parts"
cool, thanks :thumb:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11180 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:44:44 »
I'm too lazy to search and on my phone. Can someone link me to dental bands for topre silencing?

Offline Moralless

« Reply #11181 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 18:48:20 »

I've lubed 68g tactile greys with the thin lube sold by CtrlAlt and comparing it with 68g un lubed clears, the tactile feedback is definitely less pronounced but not by that much which I much prefer since it does make it feel more linear with a still, very much more pronounced (compared to browns) tactile feel. Keep in mind thought that I don't have any access to any thick lube so I'm not sure how it feels compared to that.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11182 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 19:09:54 »
I'm too lazy to search and on my phone. Can someone link me to dental bands for topre silencing?

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44692.0

Offline MGH

« Reply #11183 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:07:10 »
What type of wire is used in keypullers?

Also whats the easiest way to make the wires on new pullers more extended (not flat)
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:10:19 by MGH »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11184 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:11:20 »

I would guess piano or music wire. I measure the diameter of my TechKeys keypuller's wire to be .035 inches.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11185 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:55:47 »

Also whats the easiest way to make the wires on new pullers more extended (not flat)

You will want to use .031/.032 inch diameter in case you want to reach between DSA caps as they seem to sit a touch closer together.  CBA's suggestion will work fine but I find that diameter tough to get into some spots on my Rosewill with PBT DSA caps.

As far as material selection, you will want something with either a spring temper (generally music wire) or hardened and preferentially stainless so it doesn't rust.

Offline MGH

« Reply #11186 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:59:12 »

You will want to use .031/.032 inch diameter in case you want to reach between DSA caps as they seem to sit a touch closer together.  CBA's suggestion will work fine but I find that diameter tough to get into some spots on my Rosewill with PBT DSA caps.

As far as material selection, you will want something with either a spring temper (generally music wire) or hardened and preferentially stainless so it doesn't rust.

I would guess piano or music wire. I measure the diameter of my TechKeys keypuller's wire to be .035 inches.

Thanks for the info!

For music wire, what would you use to bend it? Would simple pliers work? Also is there any way to bend it consistently?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11187 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:03:00 »
For music wire, what would you use to bend it? Would simple pliers work? Also is there any way to bend it consistently?

Vice and pliers, bare hands, a bending/forming tool, a specialty wire bending tool like this dubro wire forming tool are all options.

Consistently? A wire bending machine or a jig that you make yourself would be the most consistent.

Offline MGH

« Reply #11188 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:05:44 »

Vice and pliers, bare hands, a bending/forming tool, a specialty wire bending tool like this dubro wire forming tool are all options.

Consistently? A wire bending machine or a jig that you make yourself would be the most consistent.
OK thanks! Time to buy some wire and do some experimenting :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #11189 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:06:18 »

Also, keep in mind that some music wire (at least the kind I used) is very hard steel and difficult to cut with a wire cutters (meaning it will just dent the cutters and the wire will not cut), so you'll likely end up having to cut it with a dremel.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11190 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:06:21 »

You can easily bend that size wire with hand tools (pliers), but if you want consistent bends, you might want something like this:

Du-Bro E/Z Bender Wire Forming Tool
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11191 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 07:12:43 »

You can easily bend that size wire with hand tools (pliers),

At some point in the taper of the tip of your needle-nosed pliers the width across the flat will be the same width you need for a key cap. Hold the pliers tight and press the wire against the table top. Do both sides without releasing it from the pliers.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11192 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 10:22:46 »
Is there a recommended way to cut up a PCB to minimize damage?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11193 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 10:25:12 »

What do you mean by minimize damage? Looking for a clean cut? Or the safest location to cut a PCB?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11194 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 10:33:29 »

What do you mean by minimize damage? Looking for a clean cut? Or the safest location to cut a PCB?
Clean, not concerned with functionality.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11195 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 10:49:33 »

Bandsaw would probably be cleanest. But I'm sure a hacksaw and a steady hand would be just fine.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #11196 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 10:57:28 »

Bandsaw would probably be cleanest. But I'm sure a hacksaw and a steady hand would be just fine.

Dremel with a cutting wheel?

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11197 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 11:39:45 »

This is what I was thinking.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11198 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 13:27:19 »
Bandsaw would probably be cleanest.
This is what I was thinking.

For me, a good saw with a sharp blade will do far better than I could with a Dremel.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11199 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:20:03 »

One of those oscillating multi tools with the curved blade work great for cutting PCB.  It does make a lot of dust that is bad for you so try and do it outside.  But it does make a very clean cut and puts very little heat in the PBC.  Just don't hold in one spot to long.  Make long strokes back and forth across the pcb.