Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3554212 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13400 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 22:14:53 »
Any suggestions for getting ball point pen out of PBT caps?

Denture cleaner doesn't seem to be getting through.

My process is: (1) soap (2) alcohol (3) mineral spirits (4) naptha or acetone [careful!] (5) abrasives - white "Mr Clean" sponge eraser - Scotchbrite scrubber - pencil eraser - electric eraser - sandpaper

Water with 15% in weight backing soda, let the caps in the mix for half an hour, and scrub them gently with scothbrite, clean them and you got it. Solvents and abrasives are not recommended by any means.

Thanks guys.  I know the "Mr. Clean" eraser is a mild abrasive, but that worked fine for the pen ink.  It was just along the front face of the bottom row of caps.  Didn't take much and got rid of the ink.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13401 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 22:18:02 »
Any suggestions for getting ball point pen out of PBT caps?

Denture cleaner doesn't seem to be getting through.

My process is: (1) soap (2) alcohol (3) mineral spirits (4) naptha or acetone [careful!] (5) abrasives - white "Mr Clean" sponge eraser - Scotchbrite scrubber - pencil eraser - electric eraser - sandpaper

Water with 15% in weight backing soda, let the caps in the mix for half an hour, and scrub them gently with scothbrite, clean them and you got it. Solvents and abrasives are not recommended by any means.

Thanks guys.  I know the "Mr. Clean" eraser is a mild abrasive, but that worked fine for the pen ink.  It was just along the front face of the bottom row of caps.  Didn't take much and got rid of the ink.

Awesome. Good job then.  :thumb:

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #13402 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 23:06:25 »
What does it feel like to type on ergo clears mounted in a heavy-ass aluminium board (OTD, LZ, KMAC, etc)? I've tried neither.

What would be the first choice that comes to your mind if I asked you about a full-size aluminium board (with winkeys)?

Do I bring dishonour to my family if I said I feel like selling my hhkb for a full size RF?

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #13403 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 00:26:41 »
What does it feel like to type on ergo clears mounted in a heavy-ass aluminium board (OTD, LZ, KMAC, etc)? I've tried neither.

What would be the first choice that comes to your mind if I asked you about a full-size aluminium board (with winkeys)?

Do I bring dishonour to my family if I said I feel like selling my hhkb for a full size RF?

To me the feel is more depends on the plate than the case. 

The first one came to my mind is LZ-trikx.  I am not sure it has winkey or not.  The second is Cherry MX6.0

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #13404 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 00:48:48 »

To me the feel is more depends on the plate than the case. 

The first one came to my mind is LZ-trikx.  I am not sure it has winkey or not.  The second is Cherry MX6.0

hey thanks

Yeah I guess now that I think about it, the case would probably affect the sound more than it would affect the feel.

That LZ-tirks looks pretty nice, albeit not too exciting. I might consider getting a TKL (so many more options) and a seperate numpad or something. This is if I ever hypothetically decided to spend the $$$$

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13405 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 07:31:51 »
Solvents and abrasives are not recommended by any means.

Solvents and abrasives are the last resort, of course.

The Mr Clean white erasers are pretty good, but they will take the texture off a surface surprisingly fast.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13406 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 07:42:50 »

I'd say that plate rigidity makes a greater difference in feeling than any other characteristic of the board overall assembly, along with switches of course. If you use a plate made of steel, plastic, acrylic or aluminum, and its thickness will make a difference in typing sound and feeling that are the key aspects of the typing experience.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13407 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 08:12:07 »
1) What does it feel like to type on ergo clears mounted in a heavy-ass aluminium board (OTD, LZ, KMAC, etc)? I've tried neither.

2) What would be the first choice that comes to your mind if I asked you about a full-size aluminium board (with winkeys)?

3) Do I bring dishonour to my family if I said I feel like selling my hhkb for a full size RF?

1) I don't have a good review on ergo-clears but here's one on Zealios which is similar in feeling to me. In addition, here's a plethora of reviews and threads on this topic. I also agree that the feeling depends a lot on the case and keycaps used.

2) In addition to the two options Johnathanyu listed, there was this aftermarket case for Filcos. There's not many options.

3) I don't understand. Do you. If you like full size, get a full size. Why do you care what others think?

Offline Eugene45

« Reply #13408 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 13:20:08 »
By any chance an european supplier for http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=78 in small size ?
Looking for the same or something similar in quality ?

Thanks

lmao, cut the French some slack, they gave you a big statue

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13409 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 16:19:59 »
By any chance an european supplier for http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=78 in small size ?
Looking for the same or something similar in quality ?

Thanks

lpwl had a ton. Apparently lpwl has sold out but you can ask. That's all I can think of though. I'd try asking DT too just in case. This forum is definitely CONUS skewed.

Offline ika

« Reply #13410 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 17:59:03 »
Anyone know how to get a replacement spring for a Topre spacebar? Apparently the previous owner for my Realforce lost it or something, because I don't have a spring under my spacebar. Also apparently I need the spring to make the PBT spacebars return properly. Not sure if Topre sells replacements or where I can fashion a replacement with roughly the same weight.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13411 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 19:36:21 »
Anyone know how to get a replacement spring for a Topre spacebar? Apparently the previous owner for my Realforce lost it or something, because I don't have a spring under my spacebar. Also apparently I need the spring to make the PBT spacebars return properly. Not sure if Topre sells replacements or where I can fashion a replacement with roughly the same weight.

Classifieds is probably your best bet. I'm not aware of any vendors that sell those springs as a spare part.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13412 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:33:48 »

Classifieds is probably your best bet. I'm not aware of any vendors that sell those springs as a spare part.

Unfortunately, the lack of options to replace a single faulty part is the price to pay for using non discrete keyboards . Have you tried the classifieds, or the free stuff threads?.

Offline ika

« Reply #13413 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 21:44:16 »

Unfortunately, the lack of options to replace a single faulty part is the price to pay for using non discrete keyboards . Have you tried the classifieds, or the free stuff threads?.

Haven't tried Classifieds yet but from a few google searches I see this question asked a lot with no concrete answers. I've just been reaching out to see what my options are. Spamray mentioned springs from an old foam and foil keyboard, anyone got one to try out?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #13414 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 14:42:48 »
If I'm looking for cool Alps caps what boards should I look for? ANSI really isn't an issue because none of my layouts are standard.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13415 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 17:21:24 »
If I'm looking for cool Alps caps what boards should I look for? ANSI really isn't an issue because none of my layouts are standard.

APC and Clicker.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13416 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 20:42:44 »
Spamray mentioned springs from an old foam and foil keyboard, anyone got one to try out?

Please use the classifieds to try and get a spring. I don't want this to be a place to circumvent the classfifieds.

I forget the model but Toshiba laptops have Dolch-alike Alps caps.

I like Wang 724, 725 the dye-sub caps.

The Apple AEK/AEK2 and Dell AT101 caps are surprisingly good.

My favorite caps are still the ones I found in Classifieds. They're Taiwanese layout Acer 6131 caps.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13417 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:03:55 »
Is there an alternate controller for the RF 87u that allows you to reprogram the keys like Hasu's one for the HHKB?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13418 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:05:41 »
Is there an alternate controller for the RF 87u that allows you to reprogram the keys like Hasu's one for the HHKB?

Hasu is working on one that might eventually lead to something. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76040.0

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13419 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 08:08:25 »

Hasu is working on one that might eventually lead to something. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76040.0

Thanks man!

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #13420 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 11:47:29 »
Where do you buy stand-off led? I need some for Phantom.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13421 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 11:56:22 »

See bottom of this OP -> https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46758.0

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #13422 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 11:59:53 »

See bottom of this OP -> https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46758.0

Thanks ray. I pm'ed jonathanyu.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13423 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 22:57:41 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:11:24 by alienman82 »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13424 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:07:35 »
Are there any Alps artisans available right now besides the ones that bcredbottle is working on?

I'm pretty sure these are dampened cream alps, but some click.  Any thoughts?

Show Image

Definitely damped, you can see the notches on the sides. They shouldn't click unless someone replaced them with non-damped switches.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13425 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:11:41 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:11:22 by alienman82 »

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #13426 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:54:02 »
can i build a custom keyboard without diode? nkro is not a quirement.

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #13427 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 04:27:43 »

If you 're not use diodes, switchs isn't work.

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #13428 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 06:21:59 »
oh! thanks quochung!

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #13429 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:39:07 »

This is wrong. You can replace diodes with jumper wires and it will work fine, just with ghosting issues.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #13430 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:41:40 »

In the meantime, his USB to USB converter will work. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.0

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13431 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:46:21 »

In the meantime, his USB to USB converter will work. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.0
Had not even considered that. Great idea.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13432 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 08:14:45 »
Are there any Alps artisans available right now besides the ones that bcredbottle is working on?

There's a handful of novelty Alps caps floating around out there but there's nothing easily available or new besides bcredbottle's stuff. Previously, do_og@n had painted some Alps caps and there were some Geekhack and MK.com Alps caps. Oh I think SP has a red escape too.

Been dreaming of nice Alps novelties for years now.

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #13433 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 08:20:45 »

This is wrong. You can replace diodes with jumper wires and it will work fine, just with ghosting issues.

Ok. thanks for showing me. I don't think this way.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13434 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 13:59:32 »

There's a handful of novelty Alps caps floating around out there but there's nothing easily available or new besides bcredbottle's stuff. Previously, do_og@n had painted some Alps caps and there were some Geekhack and MK.com Alps caps. Oh I think SP has a red escape too.

Been dreaming of nice Alps novelties for years now.

Nubs has done a lot of work with alps too!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13435 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 16:03:35 »

Anybody know what language these represent?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13436 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 20:26:36 »
Show Image

Looks like Thai.

Also pretty sure the caps are upside down in the pic.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13437 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 23:41:43 »
Is there anywhere to source new F springs?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13438 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 00:05:33 »

Not that I'm aware of.

Show Image

Looks like Thai.

I agree.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #13439 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 00:07:57 »

Not that I'm aware of.

Show Image

Looks like Thai.

I agree.

Thanks cpt, I just sent a pm to Ellipse.  I am doing a spill restoration project and fount 3/4 of the springs rusty.  The spill managed to get under the barrel plate, both sides of the pcb, and below the mylar sheet.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13440 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 10:19:47 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:10:27 by alienman82 »

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #13441 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 11:07:27 »

AFAIK it's currently just nubbinator and me. Quality-wise, I'm not really a legit artisan though. Nubs makes sale-quality caps while I'm more of an amateur/weekend warrior. The only thing that's better about my caps is that they'll always be free  :)

BlueNalgene is working on some artisan Alps so maybe you can PM him; I bet he'd like to hear the interest/encouragement. Hopefully in the future we'll see Alps caps routinely included in artisan sales the way Topre caps are now.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13442 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 20:45:57 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:10:11 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13443 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 20:46:53 »
how to use animated gif?

For what? Your avatar or just in a post?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13444 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 20:47:25 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:10:09 by alienman82 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13445 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 20:49:05 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2015, 20:50:53 by CPTBadAss »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13446 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 20:52:03 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 17:10:07 by alienman82 »

Offline raymogi

« Reply #13447 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 07:35:59 »
What's the 2 dipswitches on the 360 Corsa for?
Please feed my addiction.

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #13448 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 04:19:54 »
Desoldered almost all switches off my v60, but it seems like there's still something that sticks top plate to the PCB. What could it be? Cherry-style stabilisers?

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #13449 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 04:29:18 »
What PS2 to USB converter should I buy?