Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3555341 times)

Offline tofgerl

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #13550 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:54:13 »
On a keyboard with PCB-mounted stabilizers, is it possible to install those stabilizers after soldering on all the switches?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13551 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:55:38 »
On a keyboard with PCB-mounted stabilizers, is it possible to install those stabilizers after soldering on all the switches?

No, you'd want to put the stabilizers on the plate first before soldering the switches.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:10:18 by CPTBadAss »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13552 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 08:56:40 »
Damn, those are the only parts missing!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13553 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:05:40 »

Are you using plate mounted or PCB mounted switches? In a GON built I made recently, I used PCB mounted switches and PCB mounted stabilizers, the stabs can be install and removed at any time.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13554 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:06:23 »
One of each

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13555 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:07:48 »

Are you using plate mounted or PCB mounted switches? In a recent GON built I made, I use PCB mounted switches and PCB mounted stabilizers, the stabs can be install and removed at any time.

Trust me. It's easier to put all the stabilizers on first. If you happen to solder the switches on and you've put the little inserts on backwards or make an oops with the stabilizers, it's hard to desolder the whole board to adjust something. I made this mistake on my KMAC build.

You can install them like ideus said but just be sure everything is setup right and you double check twice before soldering. Otherwise it's a pain. That's the only reason I answered the way I did before.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13556 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:15:37 »

Are you using plate mounted or PCB mounted switches? In a recent GON built I made, I use PCB mounted switches and PCB mounted stabilizers, the stabs can be install and removed at any time.

Trust me. It's easier to put all the stabilizers on first. If you happen to solder the switches on and you've put the little inserts on backwards or make an oops with the stabilizers, it's hard to desolder the whole board to adjust something. I made this mistake on my KMAC build.

You can install them like ideus said but just be sure everything is setup right and you double check twice before soldering. Otherwise it's a pain. That's the only reason I answered the way I did before.

It is not my intention to contradict your vast experience, it is only that I do not have any problem, even now with my keyboard fully assembled, I can remove the stabilizers very easily, I do not know if it depends on the type of PCB that I am using, it may be, because my GON has a large drill for one side of the stab insert and one small, and it is very easy to pull the stab out and in. I will try to make some pictures to demonstrate how my board is made.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13557 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:18:14 »
It is not my intention to contradict your vast experience, it is only that I do not have any problem, even now with my keyboard fully assembled, I can remove the stabilizers very easily, I do not know if it depends on the type of PCB that I am using, it may be, because my GON has a large drill for one side of the stab insert and one small, and it is very easy to pull the stab out and in. I will try to make some pictures to demonstrate how my board is made.

That feature would've been really handy on some of the builds I've worked on :(. After I build that KMAC, I always put the stabilizers on first just in case I couldn't remove them easily. But maybe that's because I typically build PCB mounted stabilizers?

Now you got me all mixed up lol. Or maybe I'm just recalling the issues I had trying to build my Epsilon.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13558 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:25:16 »
Quote from:  I will try to make some pictures to demonstrate how my board is made.
[/quote
Could you link the PCB? Or the model name?
I have three Satan GH60 which support PCB-mounted stabs, and one Sprit FaceW which doesn't. I also have two plates which don't support plate-mounted stabs, and one which does except on the enter-key.
My plan is to make one Satan with no plate and PCB-stabs, the Sprit with the plate which supports stabs except on the enter, and the two last Satans with PCB-mounted stabs and plates. I still need to find a way to stabilize that one enter key, but that can wait - it's not the first one I'm going to make.

Right now I am thinking of making the one without a plate since my stabs haven't even been sent yet.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13559 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:26:27 »
Here is my backspace stabilizer that I took off in less than a minute and in again, I am typing in my board again. You can see the too drills at each side of the switch, one is larger the the other that makes pulling the stabs post in and out very easy. I hope that helps.

My PCB is a GON Nerd60 with PCB mounted switches and stabilizers.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:28:21 by ideus »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13560 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:30:12 »
Here is my backspace stabilizer that I took off in less than a minute and in again, I am typing in my board again. You can see the too drills at each side of the switch, one is larger the the other that makes pulling the stabs post in and out very easy. I hope that helps.

Ah ok. The PCBs I've worked on had holes that were the same size as the PCB mounted stabilizer legs so they'd clip into the PCB and the plate. I remember having issues trying to remove the stabilizers after installing them because of the clippings. GONs PCBs are obviously different.

tofgerl, I think the answer you're looking for is, install at your own discretion. It depends on what you're working on.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13561 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:31:29 »

Ah ok. The PCBs I've worked on had holes that were the same size as the PCB mounted stabilizer legs so they'd clip into the PCB and the plate. I remember having issues trying to remove the stabilizers after installing them because of the clippings. GONs PCBs are obviously different.

tofgerl, I think the answer you're looking for is, install at your own discretion. It depends on what you're working on.

Go it.  :thumb:

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13562 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:32:38 »
Here's an image of the backspace on this PCB:

https://goo.gl/photos/vdXLqgnstnXi9d6T7

Edit: The FaceW is very similar, but for some reason the switches are to be mounted upside-down on the Satan, and right side up on the FaceW...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13563 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:33:44 »
Got it.  :thumb:

Thanks for the picture and the info too. I definitely learn a lot when people discuss their experience in this thread. I didn't realize GON made his PCBs like that.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13564 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:38:04 »
Here's an image of the backspace on this PCB:

https://goo.gl/photos/vdXLqgnstnXi9d6T7

Edit: The FaceW is very similar, but for some reason the switches are to be mounted upside-down on the Satan, and right side up on the FaceW...

I'd say you may test how hard is to pull the stabs' post in and out before soldering anything, if it is hard, you'd be better keep them install before to solder, otherwise, you may install and remove them at will. It seems the holes diameters are close to the GON's; therefore, it should be relatively easy to remove and install them after the switches are soldered PCB mounted.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13565 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:39:00 »
I'd say you may test how hard is to pull the stabs' post in and out before soldering anything, if it is hard, you'd be better keep them install before to solder, otherwise, you may install and remove them at will. It seems the holes diameters are close to the GON's; therefore, it should be relatively easy to remove and install them after the switches are soldered PCB mounted.
Right, except the whole point is that the stabs are a long way away :|

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13566 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:39:30 »

Yup. I definitely agree with this.

Right, except the whole point is that the stabs are a long way away :|

Be patient? Or take apart another board to get at the stabs if you can't wait.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13567 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:41:42 »

Thanks for the picture and the info too. I definitely learn a lot when people discuss their experience in this thread. I didn't realize GON made his PCBs like that.

I am really impress how easy to reconfigure and reprogram this Nerd60 is. I have changed the layout at least five times so far. While I did it carefully each time, the paths on the PCB are very well made, and not problem has arouse so far.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13568 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 09:58:00 »

I am really impress how easy to reconfigure and reprogram this Nerd60 is. I have changed the layout at least five times so far. While I did it carefully each time, the paths on the PCB are very well made, and not problem has arouse so far.

I love the Nerd GUI it's so simple a child could use it.
I think the lighting options though leaves a bit to be desired

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13569 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 11:55:19 »
http://zealpc.net/products/zealio
When will the 62g variant be back in stock? I'd like to buy one of each variant to try them out.
Zeal said when he restocks which could be a while, should post in the zelio thread showing your interest.

Oh. I didn't know there was a Zealio thread.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13570 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 13:44:06 »
http://zealpc.net/products/zealio
When will the 62g variant be back in stock? I'd like to buy one of each variant to try them out.
Zeal said when he restocks which could be a while, should post in the zelio thread showing your interest.

Oh. I didn't know there was a Zealio thread.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74807.0

That should get you there. :D

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13571 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 17:09:45 »

Offline Vozella

« Reply #13572 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:00:50 »
How can I reprogram a numpad that produces different keys from the second numpad I'd have plugged in?
I'm thinking of having a normal numpad then a different numpad for the Function keys.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13573 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:12:02 »
How can I reprogram a numpad that produces different keys from the second numpad I'd have plugged in?
I'm thinking of having a normal numpad then a different numpad for the Function keys.
Load custom firmware on it via a Teensy and Soarer/TMK or get hasu's USB to USB converter.
How does one person make a custom RGB backlit keyboard? https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/2hrpis/friend_of_a_friend_makes_custom_rgb_keyboards_but/
Not really a simple question. I'd start by looking at Matt3o's brown fox or steel fox build, lowpoly's builds, and reading the Soarer or TMK thread.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #13574 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:29:42 »
Sorry :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:00:21 by Lain1911 »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13575 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:38:35 »
I know there are situations where you can buy barebone keyboards for cheaper. Is there anything else like this such as a barebone monitor (ex: monitor without stand with use for an ergotech stand). etc.
Not keyboard related so I have no idea. Might want to make an off topic thread.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #13576 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 00:53:39 »
i have a board with a switch that is activating at even the slightest touch, its in the space bar and even gently resting your thumb on the bar makes it activate. any ideas on what could be wrong?
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13577 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 02:03:40 »
i have a board with a switch that is activating at even the slightest touch, its in the space bar and even gently resting your thumb on the bar makes it activate. any ideas on what could be wrong?

Have you opened up the switch in the past? my guess is that the leaf is bent.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #13578 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 02:33:39 »

I bought the board from someone else. Is the only option going to be de-solder and open it up?

Offline donpark

« Reply #13579 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 02:40:19 »
Anyone been in contact with kaliet/22kbd recently?
Is he still making customs?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13580 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 09:14:14 »

I bought the board from someone else. Is the only option going to be de-solder and open it up?

You could simply just swap the switch. You wouldn't have to desolder the whole board. Just that switch.

Binge would be the best point of contact I think. I'm not sure on either question.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #13581 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:02:08 »

You could simply just swap the switch. You wouldn't have to desolder the whole board. Just that switch.

Not looking forward to that. This is a very expensive board, and im still quite a novice.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13582 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 16:15:39 »
Which board is it? Plate or PCB-mounted switches?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13583 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 16:52:42 »

Likely, unless the board has a pcb mount switches or a plate that allows you to open up switches. Be aware that I am more of a topre guy, so the leaf was only my best guess!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13584 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 17:04:17 »
Soldering in a new switch is your best bet and if that still doesn't work you'll have to jump it with a wire.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline donpark

« Reply #13585 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 23:21:49 »

Binge would be the best point of contact I think. I'm not sure on either question.
thanks for the info, I'm asking Binge in his HF thread.

Offline kebby

« Reply #13586 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 06:52:27 »
Is the Filco Zero compatible with the Kobo top cases that are sold by for example Keyboardco?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13587 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 09:18:41 »
Does anyone know of a good TMK macro tutorial? I don't understand it, and copy/pasting from other keymaps doesn't work.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13588 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 12:44:23 »
Is the Filco Zero compatible with the Kobo top cases that are sold by for example Keyboardco?
I think so. The cases are definitely just standard filco cases.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13589 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 12:58:54 »
Is there any triple shot Cherry made key caps set? Or at least one key?

I entertain the idea that maybe some of the upcoming GMK GBs may include a sort of novelty in triple shot.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13590 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 13:00:45 »
Does anyone know of a good TMK macro tutorial? I don't understand it, and copy/pasting from other keymaps doesn't work.

Matt3o wrote one that might help you.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #13591 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 13:29:16 »
Not very good on macros I'm afraid. But there is some talk about it later in the thread. I'll see what I can pull out...

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13592 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 19:30:14 »
Where I can get a cyan spacebar to go with the Hyperfuse set?
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2015, 20:03:27 by mobbo »
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13593 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:33:40 »

I believe cyan spacebars have been run in colour packs before, your best bet would be to try the classifieds. I do not know of any currently-running sources for GMK cyan spacebars.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #13594 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:37:51 »

I believe cyan spacebars have been run in colour packs before, your best bet would be to try the classifieds. I do not know of any currently-running sources for GMK cyan spacebars.

I know that GMK Miami Nights has them included so posting in the thread there is probably the best idea
Not sure if a vendor got in on it

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #13595 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:09:24 »

I know that GMK Miami Nights has them included so posting in the thread there is probably the best idea
Not sure if a vendor got in on it

Thank you guys, I'll poke around and hope I get lucky.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline Bomble