Author Topic: Topre Appreciation Thread!  (Read 126620 times)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Topre Appreciation Thread!
« Reply #600 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 15:08:51 »
I recently went back to rubber dome after spending some months using brown/blue switches exclusively, and the experience is worse than I expected.

I was pretty much ready to get a Topre and was just waiting for local distro to stock up, and I'm now worried I may have a similar experience (with Topre).

So Topre lovers, convince me to just go ahead and buy one :/

Topre is more similar to rubber domes than Cherry switches, but I definitely don't think that's a bad thing. All I can say is to just give it a try.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #601 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 00:57:53 »
You could say Topre is the perfect rubber dome, plus thock!

I try to alternate between my various boards, so they don't seize up or something like that I keep telling myself, but I keep coming back to HHKB and Thorpe oneness with cpu rubber.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Emospence

« Reply #602 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 02:34:26 »
Topre is more similar to rubber domes than Cherry switches, but I definitely don't think that's a bad thing. All I can say is to just give it a try.

Now to wait for 55gs to be in stock..

The HHKBs are also looking quite appealing, how does the layout work? Specifically, can I make that 'return' button just work as 'enter'?
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #603 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 02:37:28 »

Now to wait for 55gs to be in stock..

The HHKBs are also looking quite appealing, how does the layout work? Specifically, can I make that 'return' button just work as 'enter'?

It's does the same thing functionally, just called different in UNIX.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #604 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 06:14:52 »
I'm going to be ordering the HHKB pro 2 soon. It will be my first real keyboard.

Time to get off this ****ty laptop onto my soon to be first pc build and be happy with my HHKB! And if i don't like it i can always sell it here.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #605 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 07:37:08 »
Went down to the store to feel a HHKB, while I'm loving the smoothness, it feels a tad light.. Need to get my hands on a 55g!

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #606 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 11:32:47 »
Went down to the store to feel a HHKB, while I'm loving the smoothness, it feels a tad light.. Need to get my hands on a 55g!

Good man. You won't be disappointed with 55g. I also feel that the 45g on the HHKB is underwhelming.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #607 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 11:40:05 »
Good man. You won't be disappointed with 55g. I also feel that the 45g on the HHKB is underwhelming.

Patiently waiting for it to be in stock. ETA end Nov for my local store, same as EK I believe?

If I decide to get more than one, it seems to be cheaper to just ship in from EK.. How long do they usually take to send something out?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #608 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 11:46:39 »

Agreed, which is why I gutted a 55g RF to make my HHKB 55g. :)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #609 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 22:01:05 »
I have never used a 55g topre keyboard. I had the Realforce 45g and thought it felt mushy but yet i love my HHKB 45g more so than my Leopold topre. My question is: Doesn't the 55g feel heavier to type on? Don't your fingers feel tired after typing as opposed to the 45g? Also, does the 55g sound as loud as the HHKB does? There really is nothing like a topre keyboard. I will never understand people who say topre keyboards are like typing on rubber domes. They are completely different!!!! Thanks.

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #610 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 18:55:09 »

Agreed, which is why I gutted a 55g RF to make my HHKB 55g. :)
They said you were hardcore

Offline n0husty

• The poon slayer
« Reply #611 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 19:41:38 »
I'm patiently waiting for my first Topre board to come in the mail. I wonder how I'm gonna like it.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #612 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 20:07:02 »
I'm patiently waiting for my first Topre board to come in the mail. I wonder how I'm gonna like it.

Give it a week or two before making judgement.  Everyone is underwhelmed by topre for the first few days. I know I was.  Then I tried to go back to cherry mx....and it paled in comparison to topre. 
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline keymaster

« Reply #613 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 20:11:39 »

Give it a week or two before making judgement.  Everyone is underwhelmed by topre for the first few days. I know I was.  Then I tried to go back to cherry mx....and it paled in comparison to topre.

I hope he's getting 55g.

Anyway, I completely agree. When I used my 62g clears after using Topre for a week, it felt like a cheap toy. This is the problem with all MX after becoming accustomed to Topre.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #614 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 20:15:16 »
I will let you guys know next month how i like topre as my first real keyboard. It's quite odd that i go straight for a HHKB as my first keyboard haha!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #615 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 20:28:52 »
Just got a Topre board a few days ago, felt a bit weird at first, but by the end of the day I was in love. I don't think I'll be able to use anything else for a while, not even my edox.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #616 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 21:18:25 »
I'm currently typing on my first topre board, the Leopold FC660C, which I got on Friday.
I think I like it. It's definitely hard to judge, especially only in these first couple of days. I find it odd, though, that everyone seems to think that 45g topre switches are too light...coming from MX Blues, the 45g topres feel heavier. I know Blues technically require more actuation force, but topres seem to require more force during the entire keystroke. Anyway, my fingers feel a little slower and more tired after typing on the Leo than on the MX Blues before. However, I also seem to make fewer errors since the keys are harder to actuate.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #617 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 21:43:49 »
Just got a Topre board a few days ago, felt a bit weird at first, but by the end of the day I was in love. I don't think I'll be able to use anything else for a while, not even my edox.

So many people have this experience :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline keymaster

« Reply #618 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 22:56:08 »
The Topre revolution will soon be upon us. It is now time for the MX heretics to repent in order to receive salvation.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #619 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 23:37:19 »
Yes! resistance is futile hahaha.

Though seriously I wish PFU for instance would recognise the popularity with HHKB being sold abroad (from Japan) and that they wouldn't make their warranty restricted to only within Japan. I don't know if it's the same ordeal right across other Topre keyboards like Realforce, uTron, etc.

Not that I am wanting to claim it on warranty on breakdowns for every little issue but what if say for instance one receives a very nice HHKB in the post, uses it and finds out that it is not working all that great like it used to? There was some bloke on IRC that was having issues with backspace keys (for instance) between Mac and Linux. On the Mac and other live Linux distributions he reported no issues when DIP switches are not set into HHKB mode but on his Archlinux for instance the backspace key does not work as how it was from the beginning, instead it would send out some other random character.

Although I did suggest to him to have a look at xev, xmodmap and all but he did say he did not have an issue from the beginning and switching to Mac mode via DIP switch worked for him in either cases. There is also another option and that is for him to maybe use Hasu's TMK firmware but really. If one receives a faulty HHKB for instance what then? If HHKB wasn't ordered say for example from elitekeyboards.com there is no way you could return it to the seller. Amazon may give you that leeway but it heavily depends from seller to seller, Ebay is more or less the same (though almost always no leeway). Then there is that option of what if one sourced HHKB directly from Japan via some Japanese site and through a forwarding service?

The warranty registration form clearly indicates both the store (which stocks the HHKB in this instance) as well as the owner's details which I am sure both of those fields must be Japanese addresses. I mean it is sort of the one thing that worries me abit when HHKB is notably popular yet they don't really extend their warranties to other countries leaving companies like elitekeyboards to deal with faulty HHKB (if ever there is any).
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #620 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 04:02:55 »
If HHKB wasn't ordered say for example from elitekeyboards.com there is no way you could return it to the seller.
This is in part why I've ordered mine from EK, since they're the official overseas distributor. I wanted at least some coverage. I was strongly tempted to go through amazon, however, since there were some interesting buying options. Not just pricewise, but the always tempting option to go through amazon fulfillment and get the ever tempting prime shipping which calls out so strongly to the lazy and impatient such as myself.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #621 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 06:49:18 »
If HHKB wasn't ordered say for example from elitekeyboards.com there is no way you could return it to the seller.
This is in part why I've ordered mine from EK, since they're the official overseas distributor. I wanted at least some coverage. I was strongly tempted to go through amazon, however, since there were some interesting buying options. Not just pricewise, but the always tempting option to go through amazon fulfillment and get the ever tempting prime shipping which calls out so strongly to the lazy and impatient such as myself.
The funny irony with elitekeyboards.com isn't listed as PFU's HHKB seller outside Japan. The same thing could be said likewise for one other manufacturer on the website PFU mentioned for North American distributors which is no longer selling HHKB whilst the other distributor stocks only the Lite2 variant and none of the Pro/Pro2 versions.

I guess that goes to show how un-frequently PFU HHKB's English page is updated.

Amazon I guess is where one can also get HHKB as well but maybe not so true for the HHKB JP. In other cases there's amazon.co.jp which unfortunately only sells within Japan for some funny reason along with the fact that one needs to create a separate account.

Much can also be said about the list of accessories for HHKB doesn't seem to be as abundant on elitekeyboards.com (apart from keycaps of course) whereas it seems for every other thing one basically needs to hurl through Japanese sites. Ultimately leaving a possible ideal option as to buy everything that one wants and get them shipped via prox/forwarder.

At the end of the day I would have gone through elitekeyboards if they stocked HHKB Pro JP Type-S. In fact they don't stock any JIS layouts which is very evident along with the acrylic keyboard roof which they constantly list as coming soon/no stock. They have almost every other thing except just those. Which can be simply said that there's probably not that much interest for the JIS layout variant regardless.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline AuRinBei

« Reply #622 on: Mon, 11 November 2013, 09:58:28 »
I'm currently typing on my first topre board, the Leopold FC660C, which I got on Friday.
I think I like it. It's definitely hard to judge, especially only in these first couple of days. I find it odd, though, that everyone seems to think that 45g topre switches are too light...coming from MX Blues, the 45g topres feel heavier. I know Blues technically require more actuation force, but topres seem to require more force during the entire keystroke. Anyway, my fingers feel a little slower and more tired after typing on the Leo than on the MX Blues before. However, I also seem to make fewer errors since the keys are harder to actuate.

That's because they probably are heavier. I've had 2 FC660Cs. Both boards had most of the keys weighing more than 50g, even after a few weeks of use. The 45g actuation force is more of a suggestion than an actual specification for Topre switches. Most people say that the HHKB2 is even heavier than the FC660C, and it is also "45g". I've heard that the Realforces are closest to their actual stated weight.
87u || Poker 2

Offline lonedruid

• Red switch fan
« Reply #623 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 00:35:55 »
I would not recommend someone who is not familiar with topre to buy HHKB just because of the hype. HHKB is a very minimalist keyboard that will require alot of key combos that as many of geekhackers will agree, will take sometime to get used to. While it is good for programmers who perhaps like it for its simplicity and is proficient at typing out key combos at ease as their job require typing out those arcane words at fairly fast rate.

Otherwise, i recommend, get either RealForce 104U or 87U.

PS; i dont own a topre or a HHKB, but, i had been creeping the Topre walkways crawling with HHKB fnatic geekhackers. :D And , this is wad i gather: forgive and correct me if i wrong.
I need advice from fellow geekhackers,

I am currently using well known red-switch 6GV2 from steelseries, and i am thinking i want to try those blue clicky tactile switches that is quite famous. I am thinking Filco 104 keys with camoflage textured board for gamers. However, as i mentioned earlier, as i delve deeper into this geekhack forums infested with HHKB worshippers, i myself had been infected with the carnal need for a Topre switch.

But, i am not yet rich like you guys, ok? So i am thinking Topre Type Heaven. Why dont i see anyone talk about Type Heaven? Even though it is made in China, i believe the Topre Keys switch quality will still be the same. And, does Abs keycaps means the keycaps on your 28 dollar logitech keyboard right? then i can like with that. Topre cost 250 at X-treme solutions shop in Singapore.

So, should i get Filco blues and a Type Heaven. at 220 and 250 respectively. Or Get a REalforce 104U at knock-you-down price of 450 sing dollars.\
Or should i restrain myself from getting type heaven and get my filco first, then save up and buy a realforce later?
And, i had been reading in this thread topre feels like rubber dome? is that true? I mean what is this whole point of topre switch when it feels like rubberdome?

I am slightly new to geekhack, so if i offend folks here in anyway , do forgive me :D
Steelseries 6gv2 red switch
Ducky shine 3 TKL blue switch http://i.imgur.com/5LcUxh.jpg
HHKB Professional 2 no-blank http://i.imgur.com/JSIa1.pngk

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #624 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 00:50:40 »
I would not recommend someone who is not familiar with topre to buy HHKB just because of the hype. HHKB is a very minimalist keyboard that will require alot of key combos that as many of geekhackers will agree, will take sometime to get used to. While it is good for programmers who perhaps like it for its simplicity and is proficient at typing out key combos at ease as their job require typing out those arcane words at fairly fast rate.

PS; i dont own a topre or a HHKB, but, i had been creeping the Topre walkways crawling with HHKB fnatic geekhackers. :D And , this is wad i gather: forgive and correct me if i wrong.

I am currently using well known red-switch 6GV2 from steelseries, and i am thinking i want to try those blue clicky tactile switches that is quite famous. I am thinking Filco 104 keys with camoflage textured board for gamers. However, as i mentioned earlier, as i delve deeper into this geekhack forums infested with HHKB worshippers, i myself had been infected with the carnal need for a Topre switch.

But, i am not yet rich like you guys, ok? So i am thinking Topre Type Heaven. Why dont i see anyone talk about Type Heaven? Even though it is made in China, i believe the Topre Keys switch quality will still be the same. And, does Abs keycaps means the keycaps on your 28 dollar logitech keyboard right? then i can like with that. Topre cost 250 at X-treme solutions shop in Singapore.

So, should i get Filco blues and a Type Heaven. at 220 and 250 respectively. Or Get a REalforce 104U at knock-you-down price of 450 sing dollars.\
Or should i restrain myself from getting type heaven and get my filco first, then save up and buy a realforce later?
And, i had been reading in this thread topre feels like rubber dome? is that true? I mean what is this whole point of topre switch when it feels like rubberdome?

I am slightly new to geekhack, so if i offend folks here in anyway , do forgive me :D

Hey, Im still learning myself. But what I have read so far is Type Heaven is a bit cheaper made so it doesnt give Topre justice. So if I were you Id wait like I am going to do and get a Realforce. Also Filco is great for cherry mx so that is good as well. Either you will be happy with. I have a rosewill which is like a cheap filco case w crappy abs keys. ;p Id like to get realforce though soon.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #625 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 01:17:46 »

Hey, Im still learning myself. But what I have read so far is Type Heaven is a bit cheaper made so it doesnt give Topre justice. So if I were you Id wait like I am going to do and get a Realforce. Also Filco is great for cherry mx so that is good as well. Either you will be happy with. I have a rosewill which is like a cheap filco case w crappy abs keys. ;p Id like to get realforce though soon.

Yup yous should , expensive is usually better

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #626 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 05:04:04 »
While it is good for programmers who perhaps like it for its simplicity and is proficient at typing out key combos at ease as their job require typing out those arcane words at fairly fast rate.
I am actually not a programmer/web designer/gamer in any professional capacity. I want to do more serious writing (like words), which is why I find a minimal keyboard so appealing.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #627 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 07:03:50 »
Do you guys think i'm going to be underwhelmed by topre if i'm coming from a laptop chiclet keyboard (Probable the worst thing i have ever typed on)

I was told it would be that good of a feeling if i had come from mx switches.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #628 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 07:05:55 »
Do you guys think i'm going to be underwhelmed by topre if i'm coming from a laptop chiclet keyboard (Probable the worst thing i have ever typed on)

It's all personal preference some love topre some hate topre the only way to know what you will like is to try it out.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #629 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 07:08:00 »

It's all personal preference some love topre some hate topre the only way to know what you will like is to try it out.

I'm getting it next month so if i don't like it i can sell it to someone on the forums pretty quickly i'm guessing.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #630 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 07:09:45 »

I'm getting it next month so if i don't like it i can sell it to someone on the forums pretty quickly i'm guessing.

That's what people always say but that to just depends

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #631 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 08:01:43 »
I still love my "cheap" Type Heaven.  Its a nice way to get into Topre without spending a bundle to see if you like it.  I DO like it so I will probably be spending much more now.  I want a try a 55g RF and I still want a HHKB eventually.

BTW, the ABS caps on the TH are among the nicest I have used.  They have that weird texture to them and I have no shine at all even on the spacebar.  On something like a QFR I can start seeing shine in a week.  They are also not as slick as most ABS caps.
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #632 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 08:55:37 »

I very much agree with what SpAmRaY said there, at the end of the day everyone has their own tastes and comparing tastes can be just as deadly as playing with fire imo.  :thumb:

On the other hand I find there's a fair bit of misunderstanding from your part (lonedruid).

The first reason is that HHKB is expensive because it just seems to be at this time of the year. Hasu pointed out the prices for HHKB and they were much expensive compared towards end of last year and the start of this year. Apart from that HHKB is partly popular because of the design that was collaborated with a UNIX guy whom suggested the idea of Sun keyboard but minimal layout.

The 60% layout whilst not new but has taken to new highs being the fact that they are portable as well as the possibly (only just a possibility) that it may have lesser strain on fingers. In short the HHKB's virtues were to only bring out the most used keys and push the rest through Fn or otherwise omitted. Granted that one has to use Fn keys should they want to access other keys that are normally found on a normal keyboard as a dedicated key but one does not have to reach far to hit the keys. Such keys are notably the F1-F12 keys. If one were running linux for instance, they would instantly know that Ctrl+Alt+F1-F12 are the hotkeys to access 12 virtual terminals (most of them by default a login prompt followed by Xorg if installed and running and five blank terminals for one to put on whatever they want). Most GUI users would probably not understand the reasons of a CLI terminal but in the *nix realm, CLI plays a vital part just as what a GUI would offer but in different ways. Of course there are a few linux distros already trying to sort of forbade the one the default amount of virtual terminals and/or try to make it so that it would be more like windows where CLI is virtually frowned upon. There still is a need for one to use a virtual terminal when something messes up with linux GUI. I used to say to some windows converts that,"linux does not roll over and play dead when the GUI dies." still remains mostly true to this day. So the need for one to access CLI terminals is just as vitally important. Now how does that blend in with HHKB? if you look at a regular full sized keyboard, the F1-F12 keys are all dedicated keys and separate from the actual alphabetical inputs (along with the numeric numbers on top and some of the key modifiers). When you look at HHKB, the F1-F12 keys are accessible via Fn and so accessing a virtual terminal under linux it just requires one to press Fn keys along with a numeric key on top to do whatever they want. By fully extending my fingers over my HHKB in roughly the way how touch typist would have their hands are in position on the keyboard. I could easily see my ring, middle and index finger could easily reach the number keys on top. Compare that with a full sized keyboard where I guess one cannot easily reach the dedicated F1-F12 keys without having to shift their hands up just to reach it (and by that time it wouldn't really be deemed touch typing because mostly the index finger will be doing the work).

Of course that is just one prime example of why HHKB may seem better, I could probably go on for almost an hour going through what other advantages a 60% layout would generally have over a full sized keyboard. Anyway, there are many 60% keyboards that are available out there apart from HHKB. To me I still believe the rest of the 60% boards that are available out there whilst unique and maybe better than HHKB but HHKB was the one that started the craze (again). Definitely HHKB was not the founder of 60% form factor but it helped (in my sense) reignite that interest. Most of the other 60% keyboards share the same layout, where Caps lock is found on a full sized keyboard is also found on the 60% keyboard. That is not the case with HHKB. One can easily see that the Control key right fully takes the place of Caps lock. To me there is more chance that I would use the Control key more than a Caps lock, besides when writing things in capitals I get the sense of an old IRC netetiquette saying that typing in capitals are basically giving others the impression that you are shouting. Apart from that why else would one really need to use Caps lock most of the time compared to say Control? I could easily see under windows shortcuts (amazingly most of them are the same under linux GUI) that one uses things like Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, Ctrl+Z, Ctrl+X, etc. So wouldn't it be somewhat more logical to place the Control key in a more higher position than the Caps lock key? I am not so sure why other 60% boards don't come with the same option as HHKB in terms of Control/Caps lock placement but I guess there maybe some patent involved that may prohibit others from copying HHKB. Even if the real answer is not that, I guess most users would like the layout found on a normal full sized keyboard to be roughly the same as a 60% layout. The HHKB therefore in a sense is quite different in understanding that one does not need Caps lock in it's original position and that something like Control would be better suited.

Having mentioned two of the most fundamental issues I guess there is still one more left to mention but this is not so much of a fundamental issue. Topre switches are not necessairly cheap, they were designed and manufactured originally in Japan. You can sort of imagine the price for labour is generally not cheap in Japan even at that Japanese tends to set a high price for their items to give buyers the confidence that there is a good chance the said product has gone through checking before it is sold. PFU also being a Japanese brand chooses Topre for a sort of mechanical switch seems to be somewhat naive but a logical choice. By having (either all or most) of the HHKB Pro's production to be residing in Japan, it sort of gives one some sense of confidence knowing that they are backed by quality.  Also the lack of Topre keyboard manufacturers may tend to give the impression that HHKB is the only choice out there for a 60% board and with Topre switch hence it may allow PFU to raise the price up due to lack of competitors I guess.

Cherry MX on the other hand were made in Germany, not saying that labour is cheaper in Germany than it is compared to Japan as that would be the wrong sort of statement. However, because Cherry MX became popular that it flooded the keyboard mechanical switches market, there are lots of manufacturers, vendors, etc happily boasting Cherry MX. Inevitably it brings competition and competition drives prices down. Again this is not so much the case for the HHKB let alone Topre whom there are less than a handful of manufacturers out there that would be willing to use a Topre switch. The lack of compeition could only mean two things:
1) There might be not enough interest. Again this is only in comparison to Cherry MX and/or
2) Topre may have restricted their operations to be only for Japanese companies. In other words other OEMs bearing Topre switches may most likely have to be also a Japanese brand to boot. This is only a possibility not a definite cause, and this could be the reason why Topre seems to be more expensive as there are very few manufacturers big enough to have their own keyboard and all with Topre switch.

Something that might be of a worthy note (but not as much as the rest) to point out here is that HHKB seems to also share its fame with people that comes with *nix or mixed (*nix and windows, etc) background. As a linux user myself whilst not easily swayed that HHKB are used by notable programmers but because I can totally see the handiness in the design of the HHKB that is one of the many reasons why I have chosen to go with HHKB. Not necessarily because of its fame but because of the practicality. The fame is sort of like side dish compared to practicality within the linux usage. That is not to say that HHKB is unpopular with other platforms, but again one may find a charming view of HHKB once they understood the layout and appreciates it.

This is all coming from a bloke/guy who does not do proper programming but can see the elegance with HHKB even from a non-programmer's perspective.

At the end of the day I have no qualms with Cherry MX, though my choice with HHKB was by far for me the most logical choice when I have appropriately done my homework and have weighed pros and cons. There are people who will appreciate Topre, there will be people that will appreciate Cherry MX, there will be people that will appreciate other key switches (such as pentograph (I think that's how it is spelt), buckling switches, hall effect, beam spring, membrane, etc) but that makes me point back to what SpAmRaY said and basically it is,"To each their own".

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline osi

« Reply #633 on: Tue, 12 November 2013, 09:42:10 »
Currently I am saving up for a HHKB. I would love to have the Type-S but then I would have to buy a normal one in black as well so the cases can be swapped. Only because I prefer the black.. :D. I'll see which direction I take once I get there..

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #634 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 14:02:05 »
Maybe you guys can help me with something.

Is the 87-UWS model variable key weighted?
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #635 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 14:10:05 »

White and Black 87U Silent models are both:

30 to 45 gram weighting (letter area), and 55 gram weighting (Esc)

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #636 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 14:23:22 »

Dude. Thank you so much. I am new to Topres... Thinking of buying one!

Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #637 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 14:28:11 »

You're welcome! I had the 87UBS before. I loved the sliders but it was a tad light for me. I prefer uniform 45g. I now have uniform 88UB (ISO) uniform 45g and 104UB-DK (same as 87UB uniform 45g but fullsize).

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #638 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 14:39:26 »
For me, Topre is an easy choice.

For one, I can actually use them in the living room and the office. Cherry MX switches are practically useless to me since they are entirely too noisy (in my experience, even with O-rings) to be used under practically any circumstance in which I use a keyboard.

Additionally Topre are light (when 45g or 30g) which I like, they are smooth while somehow still having a distinct tactile feedback, and they feel nice when bottoming out ("thock"). As an added bonus, I find the sound they produce somehow satisfying/pleasant.

Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #639 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 14:39:52 »

You're welcome! I had the 87UBS before. I loved the sliders but it was a tad light for me. I prefer uniform 45g. I now have uniform 88UB (ISO) uniform 45g and 104UB-DK (same as 87UB uniform 45g but fullsize).

Indeed. I found one for a good price on eBay, and even though people have told me since I love Buckling Springs I should get the 55g Topre, but the deal to me is decent enough it's worth buying just to try out.

What do you think of the sentiment that since I like BS, I should get the 55 grams Topre?

Furthermore, what's the big deal about the Topre with High-Profile switches? Really pricey but I absolutely love how it looks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Topre-Realforce-104UG-HiPro-High-Profile-Capacitive-Keyboard-PBT-Key-Caps-/190934456651?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2c7494994b
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 October 2014, 14:42:49 by dgreekstallion »
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #640 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:06:26 »

Indeed. I found one for a good price on eBay, and even though people have told me since I love Buckling Springs I should get the 55g Topre, but the deal to me is decent enough it's worth buying just to try out.

What do you think of the sentiment that since I like BS, I should get the 55 grams Topre?

Furthermore, what's the big deal about the Topre with High-Profile switches? Really pricey but I absolutely love how it looks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Topre-Realforce-104UG-HiPro-High-Profile-Capacitive-Keyboard-PBT-Key-Caps-/190934456651?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item2c7494994b

I have an SSK right next to me. 55g would forsure feel more like the Buckling Spring keys. High Profile would also feel more like Buckling Spring Keys since Topre keysets are low like Cherry Profile.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #641 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:11:21 »

I have an SSK right next to me. 55g would forsure feel more like the Buckling Spring keys. High Profile would also feel more like Buckling Spring Keys since Topre keysets are low like Cherry Profile.

Excellent. It will sure feel different than my Model F-122 at home!
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #642 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:28:57 »
Yeah forsure! Also it seems a white version is out!

http://leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1365053110

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #643 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:30:17 »
Yeah forsure! Also it seems a white version is out!

http://leopold.co.kr/?doc=cart/item.php&it_id=1365053110
Damn. That is freaking gorgeous! How would I get my hands on one of those?!?!

Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #644 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:32:51 »

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #645 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 15:48:57 »
That's amazing!
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline snipars

« Reply #646 on: Wed, 08 October 2014, 21:42:02 »
Even with the ****ty stock ABS keycaps on my novatouch, topres are so much nicer than any other switch i've used!
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #647 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 18:27:54 »
I was a die hard Ergo Clear user.  It was far and away my favorite switch to use.  Then I got my 87u and it was the only board I used for a few weeks.  Then my HHKB arrived over the weekend and I havent been able to stop using it since.  The feeling and sounds it makes are just amazing.
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline wakko

« Reply #648 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 17:40:30 »
What's the difference between RF87U standard and EK edition, quality wise? I know it's 45g but is there anything else that makes it less in anyway?
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #649 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 17:50:42 »
I still love my "cheap" Type Heaven.  Its a nice way to get into Topre without spending a bundle to see if you like it.

Just picked up one as well (used in great shape, $100), to have a Topre board at work without spending too much on top of the $$$ I shelled out for an HHKB. I like the Type Heaven a lot! It feels a lot heavier and more substantial than I thought it would, and the ABS keys don't particularly bother me. Being a Mac user, I had to monkey around in Karabiner to get the F keys to work for media functions and volume, but it was not a big deal at all.

A lot of people here on this forum are living in a pretty rarefied world, but let's remember that at $150 new, a Type Heaven is definitely a very "premium" keyboard for most people -- and to me it feels premium for sure.