Author Topic: HHKB type-s spacebar issue  (Read 11227 times)

Offline ankit255

HHKB type-s spacebar issue
« on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 16:47:45 »
Here is a video of my HHKB which shows the problem with the spacebar:

As you can probably tell, the spacebar makes a significantly louder sound in the center than on the sides especially compared to the other keys, which seem silent in comparison.

Does any of you have the same of similar problem? I think I might be a bit paranoid about it if others have the same thing and it's normal.

As a side note, a non-silent black HHKB my friend has doesn't make any such sound on the spacebar and honestly, the spacebar seems quieter almost as if it had been silenced. Bought it from elitekeyboards.
I complained about this initially but since Brian(from EK) said that lube would probably fix it, I accepted his offer of free "MechLube" and it didn't seem to fix the problem although it made it a bit smoother.
What to do?!
Ankit

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Re: HHKB type-s spacebar issue
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 16:55:54 »
This is fairly common of HHKB space bars. You can use the method of adding a dental band to the plunger to silence it, as shown here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34972.0 aka poor man's type-s

You might also try applying some lube grease to the stabilizers as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2013, 16:58:52 by Bro Caps »

Offline ankit255

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 17:28:47 »
This is fairly common of HHKB space bars. You can use the method of adding a dental band to the plunger to silence it, as shown here:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34972.0 aka poor man's type-s

You might also try applying some lube grease to the stabilizers as well.

I had applied lube grease several times but that doesn't alleviate the problem. Mine is the Type-S so shouldn't it be silenced by default without me having to perform a diy mod on it?
The reason I am unwilling to do the mod is because I can't accept that after spending >$400 on a keyboard, it could possibly have even a tiny problem like this. If it were something in the range of $250-$300, it'd be priced slightly above the regular HHKB in which case I wouldn't bother as much. Oh well, in the end, I'm responsible for spending so much money so I won't blame anyone else but it should be understandable that I would expect a perfect product being hand tested by humans before it reaching me at this price. Overall, the keyboard still feels much better than my other boards but not quite worth the extra $ over cherry IMHO. Personal preference does came into play but another word for that is 'placebo' because cherry browns are as good, just different at a much cheaper price. :(

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 17:40:36 »
I had applied lube grease several times but that doesn't alleviate the problem. Mine is the Type-S so shouldn't it be silenced by default without me having to perform a diy mod on it?
The reason I am unwilling to do the mod is because I can't accept that after spending >$400 on a keyboard, it could possibly have even a tiny problem like this. If it were something in the range of $250-$300, it'd be priced slightly above the regular HHKB in which case I wouldn't bother as much. Oh well, in the end, I'm responsible for spending so much money so I won't blame anyone else but it should be understandable that I would expect a perfect product being hand tested by humans before it reaching me at this price. Overall, the keyboard still feels much better than my other boards but not quite worth the extra $ over cherry IMHO. Personal preference does came into play but another word for that is 'placebo' because cherry browns are as good, just different at a much cheaper price. :(

If you bought it from EK, you may want to send them an email and ask if they can replace it. I have a type-s and it has no space bar rattle. Mistakes happen in assembly. It may be missing the silencing ring, or something like that.

Stating that browns are just as good, is completely personal opinion :)

Offline ankit255

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 17:43:51 »

If you bought it from EK, you may want to send them an email and ask if they can replace it. I have a type-s and it has no space bar rattle. Mistakes happen in assembly. It may be missing the silencing ring, or something like that.

Stating that browns are just as good, is completely personal opinion :)

I wish i could've gotten a refund... Really disappointed in life.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 17:46:31 »

Where did you buy it?

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 17:47:11 »
Don't let potential manufacturing issues effect your future interest in keyboards.

Theres always a tolerance for error and sometimes you end up with that little % thats maybe defective (not saying yours is, as I'm not faimilar with the issue)

Send EK an email I'm sure they will act in a professional fashion, pv you bought it from them.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 17:52:55 »
Judging from your video, it looks as though the sound is coming from the depression of the key, not the rebound, which is what the Type S is supposed to silence (it looks like it's doing that just fine). Also, depending on where you push on the spacebar, it either produces the sound or doesn't. Just a guess, but did you remove the spacebar at all? My assumption is that this sound comes from either the plastic on plastic rattling from the side stabilizers. Or the plastic on metal sound that comes from the stabilizer bar inside.

Some more info here
One person added lube, and said it reduced it partially

Note: I'd like to add that this issue isn't isolated to Type S's, or even Topre boards in general. I've seen this issue on every mechanical board with metal stabilizer bars.

Offline ankit255

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 18:25:12 »

Where did you buy it?
Don't let potential manufacturing issues effect your future interest in keyboards.

Theres always a tolerance for error and sometimes you end up with that little % thats maybe defective (not saying yours is, as I'm not faimilar with the issue)

Send EK an email I'm sure they will act in a professional fashion, pv you bought it from them.

Yeah I've sent an email to Brian at elitekeyboards. But I'm pretty sure RMA would be out of the question since it states so on the website.

Judging from your video, it looks as though the sound is coming from the depression of the key, not the rebound, which is what the Type S is supposed to silence (it looks like it's doing that just fine). Also, depending on where you push on the spacebar, it either produces the sound or doesn't. Just a guess, but did you remove the spacebar at all? My assumption is that this sound comes from either the plastic on plastic rattling from the side stabilizers. Or the plastic on metal sound that comes from the stabilizer bar inside.

Some more info here
One person added lube, and said it reduced it partially

Note: I'd like to add that this issue isn't isolated to Type S's, or even Topre boards in general. I've seen this issue on every mechanical board with metal stabilizer bars.

Yes, the sound is coming from the center of the keyboard and not the sides, which means the plastic on plastic clashing with the stabilizers is not the cause. It probably is due to the metal stabilizer bar, as you said.
Yes, I did remove the spacebar to apply lube initially to correct this issue. Obviously, it hasn't worked.

Thanks for your responses. I am interested in keyboards and feel that as a programmer (CS student), it does make typing more fun which helps during the crazy-long projects.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 19:10:26 »
It is the metal bar of the stabilizer...and pretty sure that isn't a flaw..that is how they are with the other HHKBs I've seen....

Most people don't hit the spacebar right in the middle and the sound isn't the same if you hit it to the left or right of center..                               

Offline ankit255

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 19:24:28 »
It is the metal bar of the stabilizer...and pretty sure that isn't a flaw..that is how they are with the other HHKBs I've seen....

Most people don't hit the spacebar right in the middle and the sound isn't the same if you hit it to the left or right of center..                               

Really? Because I recall a guy somewhere above posting his happy hacking keyboard (type s) doesnt have any such rattle sound.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 19:35:02 »
In my case HHKB pro(not 2) needed  grease very much.
In particular rattling plastic tabs needed huge amount of grease to cure. You need to take apart to lub ringing stabilizer but it'll be worth.

Space bar Ringing:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=21478.msg407373#msg407373

Space bar Rattling:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37722.msg741760#msg741760

EDIT: I have another two HHKB pro2, and they have no rattling and ringing on space bar. I don't know about type-S but I believe it shouldn't have. I hope you can find good solution for fixing or RMA.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2013, 19:49:07 by hasu »

Offline ankit255

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 19:45:32 »
In my case HHKB pro(not 2) needed  grease very much.
In particular rattling plastic tabs needed huge amount of grease to cure. You need to take apart to lub ringing stabilizer but it'll be worth.

Space bar Ringing:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=21478.msg407373#msg407373

Space bar Rattling:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37722.msg741760#msg741760

Thanks. Im not comfortable with disassembling the board although I will try applying grease. Which grease should I buy? I mean which is the best one for sensitive electronics?

EDIT: Are you from Tokyo? I've always wanted to visit there. I hear lots of good things about it. How are you liking it there?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 19:59:08 »
Yes. At first you should apply it much on tabs unless you have RMA option.
I use TAMIYA CERA-GREASE HG on keyboard stabilizers but I think other common greases also will work.

Living in Tokyo is good if you can bear small house and high rent. haha :)

Offline thirdkind

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 20:53:11 »
I have 2 Type-S models and neither rattles like that when hitting the spacebar in any location. If I tap it in just the right spot repeatedly, I can cause it to clink ever so slightly, but nothing like your video. During normal typing, it's as silent as every other key.

In my opinion, if you pay $400 for a keyboard and that price includes a $100 premium for it to be extra quiet, then it should be extra quiet without you having to apply your own mod as a Band-Aid. A little grease, sure. But not o-rings. And if the grease doesn't fix the problem, it should go back for repair. Seriously, it's a $400 keyboard that's built almost entirely of plastic and rubber. It should be perfect.

EK certainly deserves the opportunity to rectify the situation. If it were me, I'd insist on professional repair, despite the long wait time for the round trip to Japan and back.

Offline ankit255

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 22:03:54 »
I have 2 Type-S models and neither rattles like that when hitting the spacebar in any location. If I tap it in just the right spot repeatedly, I can cause it to clink ever so slightly, but nothing like your video. During normal typing, it's as silent as every other key.

In my opinion, if you pay $400 for a keyboard and that price includes a $100 premium for it to be extra quiet, then it should be extra quiet without you having to apply your own mod as a Band-Aid. A little grease, sure. But not o-rings. And if the grease doesn't fix the problem, it should go back for repair. Seriously, it's a $400 keyboard that's built almost entirely of plastic and rubber. It should be perfect.

EK certainly deserves the opportunity to rectify the situation. If it were me, I'd insist on professional repair, despite the long wait time for the round trip to Japan and back.

I agree with this and hope I get a replacement option since I have purchased two topres from EK (the regular one for my friend). I'm awaiting a response from EK support.

Offline ankit255

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 22:32:23 »
So, I take it that noone else has had such a problem with their HHKB S?
I guess I'm the lucky one who has a harder life than ya'll. >:D

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 22:48:37 »

First world problems.

Offline ankit255

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 23:05:51 »

First world problems.

Spending $450 without desired result is a problem anywhere in the world. Fact.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 14:03:51 »
I've been using a reg. HHKB Pro 2 for about month now and the space bar is the same as the rest of keys sound wise. Somethings got to be wrong with your board, it should be replaced in my opinion. In your video it sounds louder than the regular ones.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 14:08:14 »

I don't see how your space bar rattle is equivalent to 'having a harder life than ya'll'.... but ok?

Anyways, we offered you plenty of solutions to your issues. Your choices at this point:

1 - Try to get EK to give you a replacement board
2 - Modify the board in the multiple ways you were shown
3 - Sell at a big loss, because you aren't going to get retail for it when there is one selling for 370 there right now, brand new.

Offline ankit255

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 18:28:01 »

I don't see how your space bar rattle is equivalent to 'having a harder life than ya'll'.... but ok?

Anyways, we offered you plenty of solutions to your issues. Your choices at this point:

1 - Try to get EK to give you a replacement board
2 - Modify the board in the multiple ways you were shown
3 - Sell at a big loss, because you aren't going to get retail for it when there is one selling for 370 there right now, brand new.

Do me a favor and never respond to my posts. I don't need more people like you online too. Plenty of them in real life.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 18:41:46 »
Do me a favor and never respond to my posts. I don't need more people like you online too. Plenty of them in real life.

You mean people that tried to help you? Go back and read your posts, kid. People, including myself, offered you plenty of solutions.
All you wanted to do was to continue whining about it....
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 February 2013, 18:48:15 by Bro Caps »