Author Topic: I don't really get the hype of a model M  (Read 9174 times)

Offline xSpartanCx

I don't really get the hype of a model M
« on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:42:39 »
I bought myself a Model M, after hearing that everyone thinks it's amazing. After getting it, I don't find it amazing. The "click" of the spring is a nice noise, but I don't think it's as tactile as mx blues. What do you guys think? What makes this keyboard so awesome?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: I don't really get the hype of a model M
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:46:05 »
You bought one, tried it, it's not for you. What else do you want to know? It's not like our opinion will sway what you think about it when you type on it...

That being said, I think they feel slightly heavier than MX Blues, the construction of my SSK is much better, and I like the mechanism inside.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:52:14 »
to each their own i guess...
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:52:37 »
What do you guys think?

What kind of vehicle do you drive?

If you like sports cars you should not buy a pickup truck.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:53:19 »
Don't have one, I ride a bike.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:54:42 »
Don't have one, I ride a bike.

huehuehue. this made me laugh
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 10:57:52 »
I really like the tactility of the model M's, especially compared with blues. Buckling springs are heavier and louder than blues, and actuate at a different point. I haven't had a chance to use blues for any length of time, but even cherry greens sound cheap to my buckling-spring attuned ears.

So It's really a thing of preference. Any switch with a large amount of hysterisis (blues, buckling springs, etc) will be very tactile by it's nature. If you want to see what the buckling spring hype is really all about, see if you can borrow a model F from somewhere. I think most people prefer that feel to that of a stock M.

And perhaps your M is broken. I have a terminal M that's so heavily used the keycaps are shiny and the legends faded. There are so many rivets broken, it feels about as nice to type on a a cherry MY. Compared with my early production 1390120 (that has been bolt modded, latex blanket, etc.) it's like night and day.

So just some thoughts. One reason I like the model M is the sound. It is much lower than most blues, which I greatly prefer.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 11:21:33 »
One reason I like the model M is the sound.

Maybe I am different, but sound is pretty much irrelevant to me. If anything, I would prefer little or no sound.

And I agree that the MX blue sound is just plain bad.

Feel, however, is what is supremely important to me. I like solidity and tactility, so that is what I seek out.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Danule

• ###
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 12:09:01 »
I think it's about the quality and durability of the model M that most people like. Also how solid the click is when pressing the buckling spring key down.

I find them too heavy for everyday use though.
45g Brown Brown Blue

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 14:40:16 »
I bought myself a Model M, after hearing that everyone thinks it's amazing. After getting it, I don't find it amazing. The "click" of the spring is a nice noise, but I don't think it's as tactile as mx blues. What do you guys think? What makes this keyboard so awesome?

Here's what I like about IBM Model M's. Many of my reasons aren't completely rational and don't concern actual typing.

- The tactile response: the collapse of the spring makes it very clear that I've type the key. I find that my speed remains about the same, but my accuracy has improved.

- The audible click: again I like the feedback. It also signals to my co-workers that I'm doing work (and reduces interruptions).

- The build quality: I like the idea of something well-designed that lasts 20+ years. Very few things (used daily) last 20 years. And almost nothing in the computer world has lasted that long. My IBM T221 monitor is now 10 years old, and is still one of the most incredible pieces of technology. But besides the T221 and the Model M, everything else lasts 5 (maybe 10 years).

- I like the idea of old IBM technology. IBM was (is?) an amazing company.  I usually rail against idealizing companies, but there have been a few companies through-out history that have significantly changed the world. IBM is definitely one of them.

Clearly, I must be getting old: because nostalgia is getting the better of me...
The dream...                     The reality...

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 14:51:03 »
The Model M is old and solid, that's why the old fat guys love it  :p J/K

Just depends if you have heavy fingers or not, you'll find a switch that you like...it's not a cheap journey :P

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 15:55:03 »
That being said, I think they feel slightly heavier than MX Blues, the construction of my SSK is much better, and I like the mechanism inside.
They are close to 80grams actuation if I remember right, compared to something like 45-55grams for mx blues.

As for why people like them...
They last, other than some old laser printers, it's pretty much the only computer parts over 15 years old you can still actually use in modern computing. And while one could argue technology has marched on, keyboards entered the dark ages for a couple decades where all that mattered was how cheap you can make it, whereas IBM spent a ton of money making sure the M was nice to use. So unlike other technology, keyboards really haven't marched on, at least not like other computer parts.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline TheRavenDog

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 16:03:45 »
They are close to 80grams actuation if I remember right, compared to something like 45-55grams for mx blues.

As for why people like them...
They last, other than some old laser printers, it's pretty much the only computer parts over 15 years old you can still actually use in modern computing. And while one could argue technology has marched on, keyboards entered the dark ages for a couple decades where all that mattered was how cheap you can make it, whereas IBM spent a ton of money making sure the M was nice to use. So unlike other technology, keyboards really haven't marched on, at least not like other computer parts.

Good call about the printer. My office still has a LaserJet 4m. 2.75 million pages and over 10 years old! It's super slow but it won't die. Also it's Arial font looks more like a true Helvetica: useful when printing labels for custom Model M key caps.
The dream...                     The reality...

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:10:37 »
model m seems not ur cup of tea, but quality wise they are unbeatable, this days the unicomp model M holds the crown, except for the custom aluminum keyboards, but that's another story and different price tier. BTW you should give unicomp try, feels much snappier than model m, kinda like blue with heavy spring aka green
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:16:41 »
The Model M is old and solid, that's why the old fat guys love it.

Whatever else you say or think about ancient IBM iron, the word "hype" is not appropriate.

That is what you say about everything else being built today.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:31:44 »
Great point. Hype is a colorful $100 rubber dome "gaming" keyboard with media keys, macro keys, and a  planned lifetime of about 18 months to failure.

The Model M dates back to a time when quality wasn't just an advertising catch phrase, and lowest price wasn't the only important factor in consumers' purchasing decisions.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 17:40:37 »
Great point. Hype is a colorful $100 rubber dome "gaming" keyboard with media keys, macro keys, and a  planned lifetime of about 18 months to failure.

The Model M dates back to a time when quality wasn't just an advertising catch phrase, and lowest price wasn't the only important factor in consumers' purchasing decisions.

There are some membrane boards that are of very good quality, Logitech G15 I had was taking punches from me AKA the bench cracked a bit, bloody knuckles, keycaps flew, put back on keycaps board works just fine OMG!!!
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 18:14:41 »

Whatever else you say or think about ancient IBM iron, the word "hype" is not appropriate.

I absolutely agree with all the hype revolving around any "gaming" devices these days but if the device fits your preference and budget then I see no problem with it.

The Model M is the 68 SS Camaro and the Cherry MX board is the Suburu WRX....wow, that must make the Topre the Lamborghini, I'm killing myself. :O

It should be noted that the Model M has its place. Personally, I type all day at my job and game at home. If I were on a Model M all day, my girly little fingers wouldn't have much energy left. I prefer a completely different type of keyboard for different applications.

That being said, the Model M should be the staple of your keyboard collection. You just have to have one sitting around your room to remember where it all started.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 18:44:28 »
I wasn't aware of any hype surrounding the M either. He must be referring to Reddit or somewhere other than Geekhack.

Model Ms are probably the most tactile keyboard out there in terms of physical feed back. There is the audible feed back too (that nobody seems to deny.)

In terms of physical tactile feed back from my experience: BS > (MX)Blues/White Alps > (MX)Brown/Clear > Topre/Black (MX)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Endzone

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 21:44:37 »

What makes it so awesome?  I can type 90WPM on it and not make any errors.  On this rubber dome keyboard I'm typing on now, I can type 70WPM and there are going to be errors.  Rubber dome keyboard keys are just not firm enough for me.  My fingers kind of collapse on the keyboard.  I feel like I'm constantly having to hold my fingers up off the keyboard.  But I only use keyboards for typing.  I've never played a video game online in my life. 

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 21:46:57 »
You think so? Maybe I need new springs, but when i type on my Model M I can't really feel the actuation point so much as hearing it. I can definitely feel it get lighter after clicking, but I can't feel the bump unless I press slowly.

Offline Tony

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 21:48:25 »
There is no hype at all, you must be hyped yourself. IBM model Ms are just different, they don't care to be good.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 22:34:26 »
Perhaps it is just that these keyboards are around 15 to 20 years old, and still going strong.  How many rubber dome keyboards can you say that for?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 22:42:32 »
You think so? Maybe I need new springs, but when i type on my Model M I can't really feel the actuation point so much as hearing it. I can definitely feel it get lighter after clicking, but I can't feel the bump unless I press slowly.

I definitely feel a "bump" just like on MX blues. Although it is more towards the bottom of the keystroke. Order some replacement springs from here: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/33739/subcatid/0/id/112467 and see how it feels.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 00:09:01 »
Model M's aren't bad but not my preference.  I've got two that are rarely used as I prefer linear switches for both gaming and typing.  If they're not your thing, they're not your thing.  No harm done.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 01:13:20 »
Model M's aren't bad but not my preference.  I've got two that are rarely used as I prefer linear switches for both gaming and typing.  If they're not your thing, they're not your thing.  No harm done.

Well said!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 02:21:18 »

You are not alone.  I felt like I was typing on a fisher price toy, and at any moment the keyboard would start flashing and stuff would shoot out.  Not sure why, but that's how it felt to me.  I ended up giving it away to a close friend of mine since I wasn't using it, and you would think I gave him a vagina from how much he enjoys typing on it.  Everyone is different I guess.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 02:27:33 »

You are not alone.  I felt like I was typing on a fisher price toy, and at any moment the keyboard would start flashing and stuff would shoot out.  Not sure why, but that's how it felt to me.  I ended up giving it away to a close friend of mine since I wasn't using it, and you would think I gave him a vagina from how much he enjoys typing on it.  Everyone is different I guess.

That's some funny **** right there buddy! You just about made me choke.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 02:32:20 »
Thanks.  What makes it better is that I am dead serious.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 02:34:31 »
Oh, I believe you. Still funny as hell.

I like Ms but I like your blatant honesty and sense of humor more.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 03:01:36 »
I'm in love with my model m that I've had for a week and I can't believe it took me a year on geek hack to own one. As with any switch you need to give it time to appreciate it. if you don't like it then you don't like it, I wouldn't call it hype because there isn't any advertising, people in this community genuinely like their buckling springs.

it is also affordable; $50-60, plus $20 if you want to add a soarer converter. pretty cheap compared to other keyboards. and if anything it is an essential item to have in a collection.

if you aren't feeling the bump/tactile then maybe something is wrong with it because both of mine are very tactile....and loud.

Offline calavera

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 03:50:56 »
I think the "hype" comes from people who love M's praising the hell out of it as if its the end-all keyboard. And it may be for them but not necessary for others. You'll notice this can be applied to just about anything:

I don't really get the hype of a <insert whatever>

Accept the fact that this all comes down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE and move on.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 07:24:46 »
And, of course, if you are really serious, the Model F is the battleship where the Model M is the light cruiser.

Don't talk about hype until you have taken one apart.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jspark

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 11:51:04 »
I like buckling spring switches, and I have a model M. Nonetheless, I don't see why people like model M more than Unicomp. If I buy one more buckling spring keyboard, I would buy a Unicomp keyboard.
KBC Poker X Cherry MX Black switch
Filco Majestouch2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue switch
IBM Model M 1391401 in 1988

Offline Tony

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 12:17:12 »
I like buckling spring switches, and I have a model M. Nonetheless, I don't see why people like model M more than Unicomp. If I buy one more buckling spring keyboard, I would buy a Unicomp keyboard.

Of course. If I had an Unicomp, I would buy a model M for another buckling spring keyboard.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 13:36:41 »
Some dudes like weeners. Some don't.  YMMV.  XD

Offline jspark

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 14:19:36 »

Of course. If I had an Unicomp, I would buy a model M for another buckling spring keyboard.

Oops!! That makes sense, heh.

What I wanted to say was I don't see why people prefer old IBM model Ms more than Unicomp keyboards even though Unicomp keyboards are new.
KBC Poker X Cherry MX Black switch
Filco Majestouch2 Ninja Cherry MX Blue switch
IBM Model M 1391401 in 1988

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 14:31:09 »

Why? Hipsters love this stuff, especially typewriters.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 14:34:46 »
Please direct your attention to my profile, and you will understand. Buckling springs are overhyped.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 14:39:30 »
Some dudes like weeners. Some don't.  YMMV.  XD

I like 'em grilled with mustard and onions.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 14:44:06 »
I love my Model M's and F's -- I think a lot of it may be a bit hyped, but you can make a case that the Model M/F are much, much more solidly built. The only real advantage from the newer, non-mechanical keyboards are their cost. Some of my enjoyment of these older keyboards is in my head -- but where else is going to be? People can drink water that was percolated through volcanic rock and 'taste' the difference, and that's their right. Also, they're not that expensive, considering how durable they are.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SidusNare

• Do, or do not; there is no try.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 14:49:46 »
I'm more about the feel that the sound, that and durability. The Model M feels great to me, and is pretty hard to kill.

I used one for a long time at work, but I gave it up eventually for  a Leopold with MX Blues at work and a Noppoo choc mini + gold touch num pad with browns at home. Sometimes I have to work with MacOS and you just cant get by without a meta key. You can map redundant keys to get around it but I dont want to give any up.I'm keeping my big bolt moded model M but im selling off my Model M SSK, and probably my spare keycap sets. I have a northgate gold label I like, but its controller is going out, going to do a controller swap on it, I have a teensy for it. Unfortunately I have to have a meta key, so I wont likely go back to my northgate, but I do love that board, its my favorite, mechanical alps and double shot caps, my first keybaord ever, had it before I knew how cool it was.
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. -- H. Poincare

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 14:58:03 »
I'm more about the feel that the sound, that and durability. The Model M feels great to me, and is pretty hard to kill.

I used one for a long time at work, but I gave it up eventually for  a Leopold with MX Blues at work and a Noppoo choc mini + gold touch num pad with browns at home. Sometimes I have to work with MacOS and you just cant get by without a meta key. You can map redundant keys to get around it but I dont want to give any up.I'm keeping my big bolt moded model M but im selling off my Model M SSK, and probably my spare keycap sets. I have a northgate gold label I like, but its controller is going out, going to do a controller swap on it, I have a teensy for it. Unfortunately I have to have a meta key, so I wont likely go back to my northgate, but I do love that board, its my favorite, mechanical alps and double shot caps, my first keybaord ever, had it before I knew how cool it was.

You can send the ssk to me :D

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 15:09:42 »
Yeah,  is the SSK going to be posted for sale here? I'm interested in one myself.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 17:38:13 »
I have to have a meta key, so I wont likely go back to my northgate, but I do love that board, its my favorite, mechanical alps and double shot caps, my first keybaord ever, had it before I knew how cool it was.

If it is an Omnikey with Function keys left as well as top, re-map the left F10 to Windows/Meta/etc. It is in just about the right place anyway.

That is what I do with the F-122.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Laurie

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 17:42:18 »
I think those of us who love the model M so much are people who touch type, type fast, and find we can fly so much faster on the model M.  I gain about 10 wpm minimum on a model M, which, if you're getting paid per word, means a lot.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 18:04:54 »
OT, but why do people refer to typing as touch typing? That insinuates that there is some proper form of typing other than touch typing.
You either know how to type or not. There is no in between. If you have to look at the keys you don't know how to type.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 18:23:04 »
Touch typing dictates that certain fingers are used for certain keys.

I can touch type.

I also have another methodology where certain fingers press some keys some of the times and other keys other times.  I can do this not looking at the keyboard, but it is not touch typing per se.

Then there is hunt and peck.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 18:25:05 »
There are people out there I would classify as typists based on speed (i.e. they instinctively know key positions because are going much faster than hunt and peck), but they still need to look at the keyboard while doing it, and/or they do not use proper hand/finger position. To me touch typing means using all ten fingers properly, and not looking down. Anything other than that is just typing.

Offline smknjoe

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 18:32:11 »
There are people out there I would classify as typists based on speed (i.e. they instinctively know key positions because are going much faster than hunt and peck), but they still need to look at the keyboard while doing it, and/or they do not use proper hand/finger position. To me touch typing means using all ten fingers properly, and not looking down. Anything other than that is just typing.

That was me for years until I sat down and decided to learn the proper way. I still think if you have to look you don't know how to type properly. I freely admitted that until I actually learned.
SSKs for everyone!