Author Topic: Am I the only one that doesn't like to two color F rows?  (Read 4221 times)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
Am I the only one that doesn't like to two color F rows?
« on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:44:26 »
What I mean, is when you have a two color keycap set, and F1-4 and 9-12 are one color, with 5-8 and the print screen group are the modifier color.

I think it's ugly, and I don't see many two tone keycap sets that don't feature this. I understand it dates all the way back to the earliest keyboards, but I feel like it's a tradition we need to break.

Am I alone?
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Am I the only one that doesn't like to two color F rows?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:47:10 »
What I mean, is when you have a two color keycap set, and F1-4 and 9-12 are one color, with 5-8 and the print screen group are the modifier color.

I think it's ugly, and I don't see many two tone keycap sets that don't feature this. I understand it dates all the way back to the earliest keyboards, but I feel like it's a tradition we need to break.

Am I alone?

Some sets come with both!! So you can pick. Personally I have no preference either way.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:49:48 »
Yes

Offline divito

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:52:04 »

Am I alone?

I'm not a fan of it either. I'm a little more for uniformity. Alphas one color, fine. Modifiers another color, fine. Number pad another color, fine. Function keys two colors? NOPE!
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:54:28 »
I used to think it the same thing. It started growing on me though.
Looking for CC's!

Offline kps

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:59:41 »
I understand it dates all the way back to the earliest keyboards, but I feel like it's a tradition we need to break.

I don't think it's that old; the Model M was the trendsetter and (someone may correct me) possibly the originator.

I agree with your taste, taking the ‘logical’ side in the bikeshed keyboard colour debates.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 10:05:06 »
I like it myself, since it breaks up that long row of F keys.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 11:36:10 »
yes
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 22:29:29 »
I like the two-tone F-row (he says, looking at his Model M), but there again I like single F-row too.

I am too easy to please :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 22:33:19 »
I think it depends on the keycaps.  The Round3 set I managed to buy off of PointyFox is really nice shades, the differing colors for the Function row look nice to me.  On the other hand, a nice Wyse set with uniform Function keys is a thing of beauty. 

:cool:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 23:06:04 »
Depends on the colors. Mostly looks tacky and try hard, but occasionally it works quite well.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 02:20:12 »
I used to not like it either, but then slowly I realize I only don't like the grey color two tone.  If it's a nice color then I don't mind, for example white + blue two tone.  :D

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 03:18:12 »
I'm using a Model M at the moment, possibly THE canonical mechanical keyboard.

It has pearl and pebble keycap colours, which IMHO pisses all over beige and gray ;)

The Esc is pebble, F5 to F8 are pebble, PrtScr, SclLck and Pause are pebble, the rest of the top row is pearl.

It actually looks really nice.

The 6key and arrows are also pebble, as well as the top row and + and Enter on the numpad.

The modifiers are as you'd expect, with `~ and \| in pearl.

I wonder if the all-one-colour top row came in when black keyboards became vogue.  An all-black keyboard would look silly with differently coloured F-keys, and that probably propagated to other custom keycap colorways.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 August 2013, 03:19:53 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 10:40:10 »
I don't know why they switched. I like my older IBM keyboards with one-colour double F rows. It looks good (or better!) and makes much more sense.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 16:24:45 »
I'm generally a fan of all the Function caps being the same, but I can see why some people would like two different colors. 

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:25:26 »
Having the function keys all in modifier colour is more consistent, but having them in three groups divided by colour makes them easier to hit.

But who needs a function row these days anyway? What unique functions are on there? Most programs I know that have functions on the function keys use only the leftmost and the rightmost.

I don't think that they are very good from a usability perspective: They are far above the home row, so you would have to lift your entire hand to hit them, making  you lose your bearing and needing to watch the keys. They are also labelled with numbers, which don't say anything about their function, so you would either have to remember what they do in each program, or you would have to use overlays.... although, I have not seen any overlay in the last 20 years. Have you?

I think that the two columns of textual keys to the left, like on the Sun Type 5 keyboard were better. Those keys were easier to get to from the home row position and you could develop muscle memory for using them. They also had textual labels with a consistent function in every program (that supported them).

However, I still find it to be more convenient to use key combinations of the Ctrl or Command key plus a letter key, where the letter is a mnemonic, helping me to remember the function of the command. These commands are firmly established in users' minds and are there on all keyboards without the need for a non-standard Fn modifier, so I think that they should are preferred to anything else.

BTW. Wyse function keys are all in the modifier colour. Amiga function keys were all in one colour, despite being at the top like on the Model M.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:35:58 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:39:52 »
I think it looks sexier with two colors.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 18:45:14 »
Having the function keys all in modifier colour is more consistent, but having them in three groups divided by colour makes them easier to hit.

But who needs a function row these days anyway? What unique functions are on there? Most programs I know that have functions on the function keys use only the leftmost and the rightmost.

I don't think that they are very good from a usability perspective: They are far above the home row, so you would have to lift your entire hand to hit them, making  you lose your bearing and needing to watch the keys. They are also labelled with numbers, which don't say anything about their function, so you would either have to remember what they do in each program, or you would have to use overlays.... although, I have not seen any overlay in the last 20 years. Have you?

I think that the two columns of textual keys to the left, like on the Sun Type 5 keyboard were better. Those keys were easier to get to from the home row position and you could develop muscle memory for using them. They also had textual labels with a consistent function in every program (that supported them).

However, I still find it to be more convenient to use key combinations of the Ctrl or Command key plus a letter key, where the letter is a mnemonic, helping me to remember the function of the command. These commands are firmly established in users' minds and are there on all keyboards without the need for a non-standard Fn modifier, so I think that they should are preferred to anything else.

BTW. Wyse function keys are all in the modifier colour. Amiga function keys were all in one colour, despite being at the top like on the Model M.

In software development tools the function keys are used a lot.  F9 to run, F8 to step over, F7 to step into in one I used, plus additional functions for more F-keys.

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 10:40:36 »
No, you're not the only one, my preference is for something that looks uniform or has a themed decoration (gradient color change, camo, etc). Four beige, four taupe, four beige holds no particular appeal.

I don't really think it's a tradition though, so much as "just another option". For, you know, those people whose aesthetic tastes are not perfectly identical.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 10:44:38 »
I really like 2-tone function row personally.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 12:38:28 »
Live and let live.

If it ain't your keyboard, leave the customization to its user. You have the right not to like it, but please do it quietly.

No offence of course.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 01:50:47 »
I prefer single color...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 02:06:17 »
Live and let live.

If it ain't your keyboard, leave the customization to its user. You have the right not to like it, but please do it quietly.

No offence of course.

I think the point is that many group buys and some cap sets don't let you end up with the caps the way you want them.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 02:10:34 »
I personally love the two-toned f-row. I feel it adds more balance to two-tone sets.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 02:13:51 »
Live and let live.

No offence of course.

I think the point is that many group buys and some cap sets don't let you end up with the caps the way you want them.

You can't appease everyone....

Otherwise you'll end up with an Italian ANSI set with a 1x backspace and 1.75x bottom mods
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 02:17:05 »
Live and let live.

No offence of course.

Otherwise you'll end up with a 1x backspace

Yes, that is correct sir.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 07:10:29 »
Live and let live.

No offence of course.

Otherwise you'll end up with a 1x backspace

Yes, that is correct sir.

1x backspace isn't so bad. I have 1x backspace on my 7G and it does the trick fine. Using it with right-hand pinky it ain't sooo bad considering you are not retarded and do little mistakes.

I mean when you type all day long you start getting your words straight...

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 12:54:15 »
I wish all sets would offer HHKB style \| = Backspace + 1x1 numrow `~ and \|

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 12:58:23 »
I wish all sets would offer HHKB style \| = Backspace + 1x1 numrow `~ and \|

Now that you pointed that out, yeah, indeed, HHKB layout is slick.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 13:00:02 »
In software development tools the function keys are used a lot.

This be the reason I use the hell out of my F keys.  F2, F5, F8, F9, F11, F12 -- all abused when I code/script.  And I often remap F1 with AHK for certain tasks.

Regarding the coloring - I'm good either way.  The split coloring helps to visually identify the keys, but then again, on most modern Full-size/TKL boards, they're spaced in 4-key clusters, as is.  I just use that small spacing as my visual queue, if I need to look at the keys.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:10:50 »
It just depends on the colors. If they look good together, the two color F rows will look good.
It's that simple :)
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
KMAC Korean Custom with Clears
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:38:23 »
I'm not trying to tell anybody they can't like what they like, but even when they're colors that go well together, I would much rather have a solid color row, with an accenting escape of course.

I was just curious if I was the only one, because as it's been mentioned, a lot of the group buys don't seem to cater to both groups, only offering the alternating F row
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline GeeGee

• ㅈ ㅈ
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 05:48:03 »
I'm not trying to tell anybody they can't like what they like, but even when they're colors that go well together, I would much rather have a solid color row, with an accenting escape of course.

I was just curious if I was the only one, because as it's been mentioned, a lot of the group buys don't seem to cater to both groups, only offering the alternating F row
I guess it is supposed to look 'cool'. If GB's are the issue, just contact the person organizing it.
But most key cap sets are sold with different F row colors. It's just what people like :).
So to answer your question, you aren't alone, but in the minority.
Ducky Shine 2 with Blues
Poker 2 with Reds
KMAC Korean Custom with Clears
ReΛlforce 87u 55g
456GT

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 06:32:46 »
In software development tools the function keys are used a lot.  F9 to run, F8 to step over, F7 to step into in one I used, plus additional functions for more F-keys.
Yeah, I have suppressed my memory of Visual Studio's debugger ... ;)
🍉

Offline tns

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:31:48 »
So to answer your question, you aren't alone, but in the minority.
edit : "sadly" huhu

Am I alone?
I guess we are few... I like : uniform, checked and rainbow
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 August 2013, 09:33:52 by tns »