Author Topic: POST Your GON(s)!!!! ;)  (Read 325272 times)

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: POST Your GON(s)!!!! ;)
« Reply #750 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 01:49:56 »
OK so the switches are soldered but I still need to finish the LEDs and SIP sockets. I ended up going with 78g gateron clears with black cherry switch tops. I kept the gateron bottoms because they make the switch much much smoother.

Show Image

Dat panda theme. :p  What caps are going on this, Joey?  Looking amazing so far.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #751 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 01:52:33 »
OK so the switches are soldered but I still need to finish the LEDs and SIP sockets. I ended up going with 78g gateron clears with black cherry switch tops. I kept the gateron bottoms because they make the switch much much smoother.

Show Image

Dat panda theme.   What caps are going on this, Joey?  Looking amazing so far.
Ivan's black on black with some white gateron mods dyed to match a purple bliss v2. At this point because of the pink 456 I'm not sure if I should do pink/purple backlighting or if I should play with greens and blues.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #752 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 04:36:29 »

Show Image

Dat panda theme.   What caps are going on this, Joey?  Looking amazing so far.
Ivan's black on black with some white gateron mods dyed to match a purple bliss v2. At this point because of the pink 456 I'm not sure if I should do pink/purple backlighting or if I should play with greens and blues.
wowi have always wanted to check out some lubed and spring swapped gat clears ......I bet you they are so freaking smooth 8) looking great Joey  :p
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #753 on: Sat, 11 July 2015, 05:10:57 »

Show Image

Is that soft or hard anodized? It looks pretty great; would love to see it with caps and LEDs!
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 05:16:47 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #754 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 15:38:46 »
GONne orangina 

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I really like that grey anodized case. The 2tone grey/white keycaps set match it so well. I would have ordered such a case in 60% if there was not so much delay atm.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #755 on: Sun, 12 July 2015, 22:25:30 »

Show Image

Is that soft or hard anodized? It looks pretty great; would love to see it with caps and LEDs!

Soft, you can only hard anodize grey.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #756 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 00:08:31 »
  I'll probably remove the top LEDs

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #757 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 02:46:56 »

Show Image

hey Joey this is looking amazing ! Very nice job 8)I would be really interested on hearing about 78g springs in the clears and the feels . The black and purple looks stunning  :thumb:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #758 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 03:30:23 »

Show Image

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #759 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 04:25:05 »

Show Image

Side glow > Top glow

The sex. :eek:

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #760 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 04:32:12 »

Show Image

Side glow > Top glow

The sex. :eek:

I'm starting to agree... I just wish those top plates came in white

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #761 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 04:33:49 »

I never actually use any LED's in the top; well, very rarely.  Side glow is a different story, though.  That nice ambient lighting from the sides and/or bottom is kind of soothing. :))

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #762 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 06:24:27 »

I never actually use any LED's in the top; well, very rarely.  Side glow is a different story, though.  That nice ambient lighting from the sides and/or bottom is kind of soothing. :))

Yeah you are definitely right! That's why I wanted badly a CTRL Gon Nerd NS60 :'(. I just love that design and with the touch of CTRL Alt, it is even better!

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #763 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 07:59:38 »

Yeah I just wanted to play with the SIP sockets I put in. Also baldgye, you should get a GON and either reanod or powder coat it white. I think it'd look sick.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #764 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 08:25:55 »

Yeah I just wanted to play with the SIP sockets I put in. Also baldgye, you should get a GON and either reanod or powder coat it white. I think it'd look sick.
What does powder coating bring?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #765 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 08:28:00 »

sex

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #766 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 08:31:38 »

sex
:thumb:

Also a durable coating that you can choose the color and texture of.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #767 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 08:34:57 »

agree ^^^^^^ the gon I just picked up has no in switch LEDs . I was thinking of adding some but im kind of on the fence. When I first got into mechanical keyboards LEDs were important to me. As time has gone im finding my preferences changing a bit. Gons keyboards big appeal to me was the massive amount of LED configurability and of course his build and component quality. Now I'm almost wishing I had gotten a board that was more enclosed/weighted casing/frame something like a KMAC/OTD Duck etc all though now that I have the board in hand there is no doubt in my mind that these are the smoothest ergo clears I have ever typed on. The board has an amazing feel and i don't regret the purchase at all just my tastes are changing !
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 09:03:09 by Sed8op8 »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #768 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 08:49:33 »

sex

haha I must try it then. Can you coat any matter?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #769 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 08:50:46 »

sex

Powder coating only works on metals from what I understand

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #770 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 08:53:29 »

sex

Ok thanks. Do you know how much it would cost?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #771 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 08:58:16 »

sex

I have no idea, I don't even have a GON lol

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #772 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 09:00:11 »

sex

Cost depends on the size of the piece you want coated and the thickness of the coating. Powder coating can be very inexpensive from what I know though.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #773 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 09:00:40 »

sex

I have no clue what the exact cost would be but it shouldn't be too much. $40 maybe

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #774 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 09:40:10 »
Prototype of a wood case for my Nerd60

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Just gorgeous.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #775 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 09:46:15 »

sex

Cost depends on the size of the piece you want coated and the thickness of the coating. Powder coating can be very inexpensive from what I know though.

Ok thanks guys.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #776 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 12:15:18 »
agree ^^^^^^ the gon I just picked up has no in switch LEDs . I was thinking of adding some but im kind of on the fence. When I first got into mechanical keyboards LEDs were important to me. As time has gone im finding my preferences changing a bit. Gons keyboards big appeal to me was the massive amount of LED configurability and of course his build and component quality. Now I'm almost wishing I had gotten a board that was more enclosed/weighted casing/frame something like a KMAC/OTD Duck etc all though now that I have the board in hand there is no doubt in my mind that these are the smoothest ergo clears I have ever typed on. The board has an amazing feel and i don't regret the purchase at all just my tastes are changing !

This is why you have a GON and then pick up a a KMAC/LZ/OTD/Duck board all the same.  Gotta cover all your bases. :-*  I also find that I tend to like my artisan caps on an enclosed case for some reason.  It might be because something like a GON or Kaliet board makes them appear even larger than they are and it already bothers me slightly that they aren't the same profile as all my other keys. :-\

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #777 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 12:27:04 »

You would actually be surprised at how light the OTD 356cl is.. When I first picked up the box it came in I thought it was empty. However Ducks on the other hand, are fantastically heavy and it gives them a nice premium feel to them. Gon boards in my opinion are absolutely gorgeous but actually feel quite fragile. I am always afraid I am going to scratch my beautiful blue anodizing.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #778 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 12:43:41 »

You would actually be surprised at how light the OTD 356cl is.. When I first picked up the box it came in I thought it was empty. However Ducks on the other hand, are fantastically heavy and it gives them a nice premium feel to them. Gon boards in my opinion are absolutely gorgeous but actually feel quite fragile. I am always afraid I am going to scratch my beautiful blue anodizing.

Yeah GONs are crazy light, my 40% with an SS plate weighs almost twice as much as the GON. I thought the weight would bug me because I loved the weight of my lightsaver (which would've been functional as a boat anchor :)) ) but I've just decided that the GON will be my "take to class" board.

I love the look of the anod on the board but it is really soft.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #779 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:21:16 »

Yeah GONs are crazy light, my 40% with an SS plate weighs almost twice as much as the GON. I thought the weight would bug me because I loved the weight of my lightsaver (which would've been functional as a boat anchor :)) ) but I've just decided that the GON will be my "take to class" board.

So brave to take that thing out in public lol. Then again I use a type S at work. The anodization quality on GONs are amazing but they do feel very soft. Only if we could do hard ano with colors..

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #780 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:28:03 »

So brave to take that thing out in public lol. Then again I use a type S at work. The anodization quality on GONs are amazing but they do feel very soft. Only if we could do hard ano with colors..
Eh, I buy boards to use them not frame them and talk about how good they feel. Also a sharpie used properly can correct small damage. If the board ever gets really messed up I have no problem redoing the anod.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:33:27 by Joey Quinn »

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #781 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:51:38 »

Eh, I buy boards to use them not frame them and talk about how good they feel. Also a sharpie used properly can correct small damage. If the board ever gets really messed up I have no problem redoing the anod.

Same. That is why I have pretty sold but all of my collection. DGE daily driver FTW.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #782 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 13:55:24 »

Same. That is why I have pretty sold but all of my collection. DGE daily driver FTW.
Also why I sold a bunch of my artisans and used the money to buy boards. :))

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #783 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 14:12:38 »

Also why I sold a bunch of my artisans and used the money to buy boards. :))

Smart, sell high while you can lol. I would much rather enjoy a full keyboard and keyset than a single keycap.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #784 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 20:07:44 »
I really need to do a proper photo shoot with my friend's camera. The in switch backlight isn't red, it's a beautiful pink/magenta. Also I still need the mods and that Purple Bliss before the board is complete. 

105616-0

105618-1

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #785 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 20:19:56 »
I really need to do a proper photo shoot with my friend's camera. The in switch backlight isn't red, it's a beautiful pink/magenta. Also I still need the mods and that Purple Bliss before the board is complete. 

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Sweet board. Nice JQ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #786 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 21:42:57 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Tell that friend to just be active on GH.  ;)   ^-^

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #787 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 21:46:01 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Tell that friend to just be active on GH.  ;)   ^-^
Derek won't use GH :))

But me may make himself a custom!

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #788 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 00:15:38 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Wow, does this look amazeballs, JQ! 

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #789 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 00:17:02 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

That is a really nice LED colour for the switches. Could you give me a link to where you got em?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline last100yen2

« Reply #790 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 01:05:53 »
This might be stupid question but if I order GON's keyboard now
how long will it take for me to receive it? I want fully assembled keyboard....some says it will
take like a year before I can get the keyboard.....

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #791 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 18:50:53 »

This might be stupid question but if I order GON's keyboard now
how long will it take for me to receive it? I want fully assembled keyboard....some says it will
take like a year before I can get the keyboard.....

No one knows but I can't imagine it being less than 6 months.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline last100yen2

« Reply #792 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 09:51:46 »
Are you serious? so it will take at least 6 months? wow

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #793 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 09:59:19 »

Are you serious? so it will take at least 6 months? wow

Just basing that off of what I've seen from others on this forum. For full builds people getting theirs now ordered around the first of the year I believe.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #794 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 10:14:14 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Ugh, that looks soooo good! Even in a potato pic :D
Congrats Joey Quinn!!! :eek:
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #795 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 23:12:04 »
Finished building ttzhou's new GON and put my caps on it :P

I love Elzy

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #796 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 02:17:43 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wow that looks freaking amazing 8) great job and congrats ttzhou she's gorgeous  :eek:

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #797 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 23:01:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wow that looks freaking amazing 8) great job and congrats ttzhou she's gorgeous  :eek:

Thanks sed8  :) It was definitely worth the wait.

I now have a slight man-crush on Sifo, in a totally non-creepy way that hopefully won't disturb him when I go pick up the board in person. Have to wait at least a week though to pick it up... the pain.  :'(

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #798 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 23:02:15 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I really like the look of the acrylic GONs, at some point I'd love to own one. Sifo did you do any typing on it? My GON HHKB flexes a bit and I'm wondering how much the acrylic boards flex.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #799 on: Sun, 19 July 2015, 23:54:07 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome job, Sif.  Looks amazing.  Loving the colors.

I now have a slight man-crush on Sifo, in a totally non-creepy way that hopefully won't disturb him when I go pick up the board in person. Have to wait at least a week though to pick it up... the pain.  :'(

I think many of us have a man-crush on Sifo and some in a very creepy way. :))