Author Topic: Hello I'm Gunni. I'm completely new to mechanical keyboards.  (Read 7199 times)

Offline Gunni

Hello I'm Gunni. I'm completely new to mechanical keyboards.
« on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:18:34 »
Hello Everyone,

Basically I want to start collecting mechanical keyboards, where do I start?

I don't know anything about mechanical keyboards, should I learn before I buy?

Can anyone recommend any wiki's or a page that will explain mechanical keyboards to a beginner like me? What are Cherry Switches? How do different switches vary? I'm very un-knowledgeable at this point.

Any recommendations for the first keyboard of my collection? (other than the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 800 that I'm currently using)

Thanks,
Gunni :)
CM Storm Quickfire TK w/ Browns HHKB Pro 2

Offline ynrozturk

Re: Hello I'm Gunni. I'm completely new to mechanical keyboards.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 05:33:51 »
Welcome to the forums. I'd advise you to watch a TON of YouTube videos. There aren't too many types of switches (Cherry, Topre, Alps) but each are very different. Most of the Cherry switches are different from each other, in terms of sound and feel, so like I said, watch a ton of videos.

For a good starting point, you may want to look into a Quickfire Rapid. Inexpensive and good board. If you have any stores available with mech boards, try them out.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Gunni

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 06:46:28 »
Welcome to the forums. I'd advise you to watch a TON of YouTube videos. There aren't too many types of switches (Cherry, Topre, Alps) but each are very different. Most of the Cherry switches are different from each other, in terms of sound and feel, so like I said, watch a ton of videos.

For a good starting point, you may want to look into a Quickfire Rapid. Inexpensive and good board. If you have any stores available with mech boards, try them out.

Thanks for the reply!

Is there any particular YouTubers that you can recommend?

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it. I'll watch some Quickfire Rapid reviews and such and see what looks good. I think the first keyboard I buy will be for my main "gaming" keyboard, the keyboards that follow will most likely be vintage keyboards that are considered "collectables". Although I'll be gaming I will also be doing just general typing, which type of switches should I get? I've been doing research on the blue, red, black and brown Cherry switches, all seem to have their pros and cons. Which is best for gaming and general typing? Is there a thread that explains each type of switch?

Thanks,
Gunni :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:11:45 by Gunni »

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:07:15 »
The Quickfire was just a suggestion to get you started. Fairly inexpensive compared to the others, so you can get a general feel of what a mechanical keyboard is like. If you have the money, by all means get yourself a Filco and don't look back  ;)

Linus Tech Tips has some decent videos on mechanical keyboards that can help you out, and Studio Sushi demonstrates the sounds of different key switches. You may want to give those a look.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Gunni

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:13:19 »
The Quickfire was just a suggestion to get you started. Fairly inexpensive compared to the others, so you can get a general feel of what a mechanical keyboard is like. If you have the money, by all means get yourself a Filco and don't look back  ;)

Linus Tech Tips has some decent videos on mechanical keyboards that can help you out, and Studio Sushi demonstrates the sounds of different key switches. You may want to give those a look.

I actually just edited my post, I've changed my mind (sorta).

Read my edited post :)

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:21:27 »
For your needs I would choose the Brown switch.

Read this - http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide

Offline Gunni

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:30:15 »

Yeah, I guess brown suits gaming and typing.
This is what I'm considering getting at the moment: http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=10955
Do you have any other recommendations? (nothing more expensive)

Thanks for the link to the mechanical keyboard guide, I will study it! :D

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:36:55 »
I would say that's a fine choice for your first mechanical keyboard. Go for it!

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:43:09 »

This is what I'm considering getting at the moment: http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=10955

You can pretty much ignore the what's good for gaming and whats good for typing parts. I have no idea how those got started and it's terrible that it did, it's pretty much all personal preference. I, for example, enjoy gaming on my clickys or clears more than linears, and browns are only good for pissing me off.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:47:57 »

You can pretty much ignore the what's good for gaming and whats good for typing parts. I have no idea how those got started and it's terrible that it did, it's pretty much all personal preference. I, for example, enjoy gaming on my clickys or clears more than linears, and browns are only good for pissing me off.

Really!?! But aren't certain switches worse for gaming because of certain reasons? EG: Apparently blue switches can cause trouble double-tapping, which may make gaming more difficult. Why do browns piss you off? :P

Also, do you recommend the CM Quickfire? or would you recommend me something else?

Cheers.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 07:54:01 »
It really doesn't feel too great (to me) when I have to do fast double taps on my keyboard (I use Blues)

Then again, I only use it for typing, not gaming. I've tried the quick double taps and it feels awkward to me.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:05:37 »

Really!?! But aren't certain switches worse for gaming because of certain reasons? EG: Apparently blue switches can cause trouble double-tapping, which may make gaming more difficult. Why do browns piss you off? :P

Also, do you recommend the CM Quickfire? or would you recommend me something else?

Cheers.
You'd have to have the flash's fingers to notice an issue double tapping.

Browns just feel bad to me. Not tactile enough to really mean anything, but enough to be totally not smooth. You might love em though. Try em at a local store if you can.

Quickfire is a solid first board, I have one in greens and it was my daily driver (despite owning fancier boards) up until I got my edox.

Offline devilockz

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:21:25 »
welcome on board bro, enjoy ur stay  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 12:34:32 »
I would check out this link for more reviews and info Gunni. And check out WhiteFireDragon's Youtube Channel. He does a SUPER thorough review of keyboards.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 17:22:11 »
Okay, I might try to go into a store and try the different switches out, not exactly sure how it will go with these guys but I'll try :)

Thanks for the links and helpful info :D

EDIT:

Not sure about trying out the different switches thing, the local shop is quite...strange. Basically I doubt that the workers there would let me try out the keyboards, there's virtually none on display either.

So I think I'll have to make my desicion before I go the store, if I go to the store. The local store I want to buy from only has the brown switches for the CM Quickfire Rapid, at the moment I'm leaning towards blue. I've been watching some videos and I really love the sound of the blue, I've also heard that they're not too bad for gaming.

Can anyone recommend me a keyboard from the 2 following links? MSY is preferred but if you can't find anything there PCCaseGear is fine. The CM Quickfire Rapid is only available at MSY, with only brown  switches. Any other recommendations with blue switches would be much appreciated. Here are the 2 links: http://www.msy.com.au/index.jsp http://pccasegear.com/

Thanks.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 September 2013, 06:35:21 by Gunni »

Offline Gunni

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 06:36:03 »
Bump!

Can someone read and reply to my post above?  :p

Cheers!

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 07:20:28 »
Wow you have quite a bit of options. If you want Blues then go with them, I love them and I think you will too. They're not the best for quick double taps but they are awesome to type on. If I were you I'd look into a Ducky. I really like the look of the Corsair K70 for some reason, even though it has Red key switches.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 07:35:22 »
Wow you have quite a bit of options. If you want Blues then go with them, I love them and I think you will too. They're not the best for quick double taps but they are awesome to type on. If I were you I'd look into a Ducky. I really like the look of the Corsair K70 for some reason, even though it has Red key switches.

PCCaseGear have "Ducky" keyboards, but the cheapest is $99 and apparently I have to preorder them. My budget is $100, the next cheapest is $130.

Any other recommendations? I might end up getting the CM QuickFire Rapid Brown if I can't find anything else, I think brown switches will be slightly better for gaming anyway.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 September 2013, 10:31:53 by Gunni »

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 07:35:57 »
I think that would be a very good choice.

Offline concept73

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 08:25:19 »
Welcome to GH fellow newbie!
Poker 2 with reds
Soon to be a JD40 with reds

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 06:06:20 »
Yo Gunni. Hi! I'm new here too. and 6 months ago I was new to mechanical keyboards. and I do a lot of typing and games (starcraft) and being in Australia as well,  there is kind of no where to try out different switches. and I ended up going through cherry blacks, blues, white alps, buckling spring. And finally cherry browns, to realize I like them the most by far. So in my case a lot of money spent and I wish I just went with browns in the first place. So I recommend mx browns!
Also MSY do have good prices, but if possible try to buy from Umart or PCCG. So many bad MSY stories out there and my experiences add to them.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 08:06:15 »
Welcome to GH fellow newbie!
Thanks!  :D

Yo Gunni. Hi! I'm new here too. and 6 months ago I was new to mechanical keyboards. and I do a lot of typing and games (starcraft) and being in Australia as well,  there is kind of no where to try out different switches. and I ended up going through cherry blacks, blues, white alps, buckling spring. And finally cherry browns, to realize I like them the most by far. So in my case a lot of money spent and I wish I just went with browns in the first place. So I recommend mx browns!
Also MSY do have good prices, but if possible try to buy from Umart or PCCG. So many bad MSY stories out there and my experiences add to them.

Hey! Yeah I think I've decided I'll get the CM Quickfire Rapid Brown switches from MSY tommorow :D

Thanks for the info, I'm going for browns! :)

Offline Gunni

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 02:54:26 »
Woo!

So I ended up getting the CM STORM Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Brown switches, I'm typing on it now. Every keypress is so...satisfying. Every "clack" is music to my ears. I'm never going back to a non-mechanical keyboard, ever. Any recommendations for my next keyboard to continue my collection? Something vintage...

Thanks to everyone who help me pick out this keyboard, I love it!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 03:29:53 »
Woo!

So I ended up getting the CM STORM Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Brown switches, I'm typing on it now. Every keypress is so...satisfying. Every "clack" is music to my ears. I'm never going back to a non-mechanical keyboard, ever. Any recommendations for my next keyboard to continue my collection? Something vintage...

As I'm surprised he hasn't posted here yet, I feel it my obligation to post this in the absence of tp4tissue, my hero. These are the kind and thoughtful words that he said to me , and I feel as if I should pass them onto you, with some changes of course.

"Mmm...

well let me tell you a story...   

Gunni buys his first mechanical keyboard.

Eventually

Gunni buys an Ergodox

Gunni never buys another keyboard

Ergodox 2 comes out

Gunni buys the Ergodox 2"
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 04:38:52 »
Good to hear that you're enjoying your new board, congrats!

If you want something vintage, you could try to hunt down an IBM Model M.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 08:05:52 »
Woo!

As I'm surprised he hasn't posted here yet, I feel it my obligation to post this in the absence of tp4tissue, my hero. These are the kind and thoughtful words that he said to me , and I feel as if I should pass them onto you, with some changes of course.

"Mmm...

well let me tell you a story...   

Gunni buys his first mechanical keyboard.

Eventually

Gunni buys an Ergodox

Gunni never buys another keyboard

Ergodox 2 comes out

Gunni buys the Ergodox 2"

Thanks dragonxx21 and tp4tissue for the words of wisdom ;)

I'll look into an IBM Model M.
Good to hear that you're enjoying your new board, congrats!

If you want something vintage, you could try to hunt down an IBM Model M.

It's great, thanks for the recommendations! :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 September 2013, 10:32:50 by Gunni »

Offline Gunni

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 10:36:19 »
So I'm looking to "spice up" my CM STORM QF TK. Where can I get keycaps that will fit it? Are keycaps universal or do I have to get them different for specific boards? I'm not exactly sure what I want, not rainbow but maybe if someone could pick out a nice colour scheme that would be great. I see a lot of people with a skull type key as their esc key, where I get those?

This would all be better if it was from Australia. If anyone in Aus wants to sell me some of the stuff I'm looking for then let me know.

Cheers :)

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 12:43:28 »
So I'm looking to "spice up" my CM STORM QF TK. Where can I get keycaps that will fit it? Are keycaps universal or do I have to get them different for specific boards? I'm not exactly sure what I want, not rainbow but maybe if someone could pick out a nice colour scheme that would be great. I see a lot of people with a skull type key as their esc key, where I get those?

This would all be better if it was from Australia. If anyone in Aus wants to sell me some of the stuff I'm looking for then let me know.

Basically all key caps will fit cherry mx switches, unless they are designed specifically for another type of switch. How much are you looking to spend? Do you want low, medium, or high quality? The skull type keys are called Click Clacks, and unless you are willing to spend around ~100 or more for specific ones, then I wouldn't bother.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline Gunni

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 04:23:16 »

Basically all key caps will fit cherry mx switches, unless they are designed specifically for another type of switch. How much are you looking to spend? Do you want low, medium, or high quality? The skull type keys are called Click Clacks, and unless you are willing to spend around ~100 or more for specific ones, then I wouldn't bother.

I'd like to spend as little as possible. I have no idea how much keycaps cost, under $50 shipped would be good.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 07:45:27 »
Bump.

:)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:47:08 »
I bet that I'm newer than you are...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Gunni

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 06:37:37 »
I bet that I'm newer than you are...
I doubt it, look at your posts :P

So...anyone?

Basically I'm just looking for a nice colour scheme for my board, the keyboard itself is black so I think white keys might suit it well.

I found this: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40520.0 Unfortunately there are no leftovers. Can I get a colour scheme exactly like that somewhere? White and light blue would look great.

Thanks.

Offline lake

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 22:47:51 »
Keep looking through the classifieds, most of the threads have some kind of keycaps on offer, even if the main sale is for a whole keyboard.

This is in australia: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39553 , has sets of engraved whites and blacks, plus some novelty stuff. That one also has a set of CCnGs to trade but you could ask if they'll sell them.
Some stock filco whites and blacks here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48540
You could get a white set and a black set and mix them up.

Some of the Australian retail sites have some different coloured keycaps:
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/search.php?search_query=keycaps
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=keycaps&x=-155&y=-82&vk_sort=1
http://www.mechkb.com/products/assessories.html

Otherwise I think you have to wait for a good groupbuy to come up.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 08:05:24 »
Keep looking through the classifieds, most of the threads have some kind of keycaps on offer, even if the main sale is for a whole keyboard.

This is in australia: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39553 , has sets of engraved whites and blacks, plus some novelty stuff. That one also has a set of CCnGs to trade but you could ask if they'll sell them.
Some stock filco whites and blacks here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48540
You could get a white set and a black set and mix them up.

Some of the Australian retail sites have some different coloured keycaps:
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/search.php?search_query=keycaps
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=keycaps&x=-155&y=-82&vk_sort=1
http://www.mechkb.com/products/assessories.html

Otherwise I think you have to wait for a good groupbuy to come up.

Thanks a lot, this was very helpful :)

How come it says you have 0 posts?

Offline lake

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 08:11:45 »
I don't know! I have at least 6 dammit

I just realised if you got the QF TK you would have a few extra keys than the standard 87-key tkl, so that might be a factor buying used keycaps. Did you find anything you liked yet?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 08:20:25 »
I don't know! I have at least 6 dammit

Off topic, classifieds, and new member forums don't count.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013