Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 438840 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
HHKB Pro 2 Love
« on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 18:59:18 »
I have been using this for about two days now, and I am in love. This thing is heaven right now. It makes me actually want to do my homework and papers. I just love typing with this. Topre switches really are indescribable. It's no where close to a regular rubber dome, and no where close to a mx switch. It has a feel on its own. It just feels like love on my fingers. In terms of typing improvement, I have a better flow and have made far less errors with this board than any of my others. This board just feels beautiful. I don't even fret over bottoming out because it sounds amazing and feels soft. It's like I bottom out on a bunch of soft pads. That pleasant thock and raindrop return. No stabilizers. This thing is amazing.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 19:05:12 »
Wait until you do the dental band mod. They become silent raindrops.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 19:08:25 »
I want one :C  I might have to sell my Poker.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 19:36:56 »
I saw a video of someone who did that mod and the keyboard sounded cheap. I love how it is right now.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 19:44:17 »
How is it compared to a Poker?

Offline keymaster

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 19:55:23 »
I saw a video of someone who did that mod and the keyboard sounded cheap. I love how it is right now.

Interesting. I feel like it sounds like cheap plastic on the upstroke on a stock Topre. Idk which video you watched but anyone who has done the mod will agree that it sounds much quieter/better.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 19:59:35 »
How is it compared to a Poker?

Well the feel is obviously different, but it really is different in layout as well. I used to use a Poker (as you can tell from my signature), and I loved it. I love the small form factor layout and didn't use arrow keys less I really had to/some browsing. If you love that small form factor, than you will love how even less the HHKB Pro 2 because it is just right. If you want to get to the arrow keys, the diamond really is super efficient and getting to it is easy. Also having the capslock key replaced by the control key is pretty useful...I love it for League of Legends because it makes it easier to level and taunt. It was initially hard to get used to because I used capslock for backspace. Speaking of backspace, the location is a little weird at first, but because it isn't too far from where the backspace usually is.

It is definitely worth it if you love small 60% boards.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 20:02:13 »

Interesting. I feel like it sounds like cheap plastic on the upstroke on a stock Topre. Idk which video you watched but anyone who has done the mod will agree that it sounds much quieter/better.

I might. Is there a tutorial on how to do the mod? And would it be easy to wreck the board if I do it wrong. It doesn't sound like cheap plastic (which sounds more like the clack of a mx board) on the key return to me. Sounds like raindrops, but if there were a way to make it silent that would be pretty cool since I want to bring my keyboard to the library and such.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 20:16:45 »
Nevermind. I found mikelanding's post and o2dazone's post. I like how o2dazone's mod sounds, but it just seems like a lot of work. I might do the dental bands one. It doesn't sound too different from o2dazone's board. Just gotta find my screw driver and order some dental bands.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 20:26:32 »
It was very simple to do. It took me about 2hrs from start to finish on my Realforce 103UB. All you do is unscrew the keyboard and put on the bands. It's very similar to o-rings for Cherry MX. You won't regret it!

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 21:42:43 »
It was very simple to do. It took me about 2hrs from start to finish on my Realforce 103UB. All you do is unscrew the keyboard and put on the bands. It's very similar to o-rings for Cherry MX. You won't regret it!

How is the sound? It sounds like it lost its thock in mikelanding's video. The sound in his video sound like two cheap plastic parts rubbing together.

Offline affect656

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 21:48:04 »
The fastest speed test I've ever done was on one. 160 wpm, haven't been able to do it on a mx ever
I like linear.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 21:51:44 »
I'll be getting mine soon. I already know I'm gonna love it.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 21:53:14 »
I'll be getting mine soon. I already know I'm gonna love it.

Oh you will. Since you already know how Topre feels, I think you will like how the HHKB will feels since it really has that deep thock and layout is so nice.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 21:53:33 »

How is the sound? It sounds like it lost its thock in mikelanding's video. The sound in his video sound like two cheap plastic parts rubbing together.

I have done the silent mod a little bit differently (using soft landing pads instead of rubber bands) on the FC660C.

The FC660C sounds amazing now. I don't understand how you can like the cheap plastic "Clack" on the upstroke.

Now I can use the keyboard with someone sleeping in the same room without disturbing her.

My mod is actually inspired by the silent HHKB mods out there, so I have given a number of links to these mods.

Check it out here:
  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49046.msg1056220#msg1056220

I have included in the mod report a video with good quality sound so you can hear very clearly the difference. When the video has been shot, I had done the mod only on the two top rows of the keyboard, so it's easy to hear the original sound and the sound after the silencing.

The result is that you "Thock" not only when bottoming out, you also "Thock" on the upstroke. Really sweet!
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 21:56:27 by spiceBar »

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:02:53 »

I have done the silent mod a little bit differently (using soft landing pads instead of rubber bands) on the FC660C.

The FC660C sounds amazing now. I don't understand how you can like the cheap plastic "Clack" on the upstroke.

Now I can use the keyboard with someone sleeping in the same room without disturbing her.

My mod is actually inspired by the silent HHKB mods out there, so I have given a number of links to these mods.

Check it out here:

I have included in the mod report a video with good quality sound so you can hear very clearly the difference. When the video has been shot, I had done the mod only on the two top rows of the keyboard, so it's easy to hear the original sound and the sound after the silencing.

The result is that you "Thock" not only when bottoming out, you also "Thock" on the upstroke. Really sweet!

Wow I really like your mod. It doesn't sound too bad with clack still in my opinion, but this sounds even better. I might do this mod when I have the time.

Offline keymaster

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:11:52 »

It sounds like the silent versions of HHKB & Realforce. I'm not sure which video you watched, but it definitely does NOT sound like plastic.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:15:48 »
I have been using this for about two days now, and I am in love. This thing is heaven right now. It makes me actually want to do my homework and papers. I just love typing with this. Topre switches really are indescribable. It's no where close to a regular rubber dome, and no where close to a mx switch. It has a feel on its own. It just feels like love on my fingers. In terms of typing improvement, I have a better flow and have made far less errors with this board than any of my others. This board just feels beautiful. I don't even fret over bottoming out because it sounds amazing and feels soft. It's like I bottom out on a bunch of soft pads. That pleasant thock and raindrop return. No stabilizers. This thing is amazing.

As you might recall from my previous posts about the HHKB Pro 2, I agree with you. The strange thing is, I kept putting off trying the HHKB Pro 2. Despite the many positive reviews and personal recommendations to me to try it, I thought that the layout would be too alien to me after using conventional layout keyboards for years. I also believed that I needed to have arrow keys in the primary layer. Moreover, because I liked the buckling springs in my IBM Model M and IBM SSK, I thought I would not like Topre switches.

However, the magnetic appeal of the HHKB Pro 2 design finally induced me to give it a try. I was amazed and surprised. It was as if the HHKB Pro 2 was made just for me. I adapted to the new layout almost instantly, and nearly as quickly learned to use the cursor diamond in conjunction with the Fn key. Furthermore, I liked the Topre switches as much or more than the buckling springs in my IBM keyboards. The keyboard also looks great -- I got the black case and put new white/gray dye-sub PBT keycaps on it. The typing feel and sound are excellent, and my speed and accuracy are better than with any Cherry mx keyboard I have ever used.

The HHKB Pro 2 has become my new daily driver, although I am not willing to part with my IBM SSK just yet. I will probably alternate between the two keyboards.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:28:36 »
While I love the 45G on my Topres, the 55G holds a special spot in my heart....I have the 103UB-55G and it's just right, the stiffer/heavier keys on the board feels perfect. I have enough Topre keyboards, but IF I were to get another, it'd be a 55G RF TKL or a HHKB 2 (if there's such a model).
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:30:59 by PadawanGeek »

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:29:47 »

It sounds like the silent versions of HHKB & Realforce. I'm not sure which video you watched, but it definitely does NOT sound like plastic.

Check it out here:

Wow I really like your mod. It doesn't sound too bad with clack still in my opinion, but this sounds even better. I might do this mod when I have the time.

Now to either do the soft landing pad mod, or do the dental band mod...hmmmmm.....

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:32:33 »
Why did they move the control keys and just leave the spots they used to be empty?  Isn't that a waste of space?

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:52:33 »

Check it out here:

Now to either do the soft landing pad mod, or do the dental band mod...hmmmmm.....

That's where you can contribute: do both.

Do one on the top two rows as I did, and the other one on the other rows.

Capture the sound so we can compare.

I am under the impression that the landing pad mod is the most quiet of the two, because I have also tried with O-rings (similar to rubber bands I guess) and they were less silent. Anyway, ultimately I had to discard the O-rings because they could block the keys.

The landing pad mod is so silent that I can now actually hear the sound of the conical springs under the domes on the upstroke! :)

Now that would be really great to know which one is the most quiet, which one keeps the most of the original feel, and so on.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:52:44 »
Why did they move the control keys and just leave the spots they used to be empty?  Isn't that a waste of space?

They moved it for coding purposes. It does get a little getting used to, but unless you are yelling all the time, caps lock is pretty useless. I like that it has that empty space. They moved everything so that it is easier to use. Instead of having the Fn key hard to reach like near the modifiers, it is right next to shift and easier to hit with your pinky...but not obstrusive, and you won't be accidentally hitting that key when you are reaching for modifiers. I prefer my alt -> meta and meta -> alt as to not hit it accidentally... Trust me...once you get used to it, you will love it.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:56:55 »

Congrats Tim!  I knew you were going to love the HHKB.  Welcome to the klub.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 01:28:55 »
Threads like this make me curse the gods that force me to choose between Topre and the ErgoDox.

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 04:22:38 »
Ive just gotten my my new hhkb pro 2. Gonna post a review SOON comparing it to the realforce

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 05:36:34 »
Ive just gotten my my new hhkb pro 2. Gonna post a review SOON comparing it to the realforce
'Grats, welcome to the club! Looking forward to your review/comparison. ;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 05:48:19 »

Congratulations!

I'm kinda wondering what a new one feels like.  Mine was a year or so old when I bought it, but apparently fairly lightly used.  There is a tiny bit of shine on the space bar, but otherwise the keyboard is nice and clean and consistent.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 06:29:56 »
Thats it, my next board is gonna be the HHKB pro2
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 06:39:03 »
I think soon I will love mine long time, going to go 55g, either dental bands or landing pads and maybe even lube.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 08:31:40 »

As you might recall from my previous posts about the HHKB Pro 2, I agree with you. The strange thing is, I kept putting off trying the HHKB Pro 2. Despite the many positive reviews and personal recommendations to me to try it, I thought that the layout would be too alien to me after using conventional layout keyboards for years. I also believed that I needed to have arrow keys in the primary layer. Moreover, because I liked the buckling springs in my IBM Model M and IBM SSK, I thought I would not like Topre switches.

However, the magnetic appeal of the HHKB Pro 2 design finally induced me to give it a try. I was amazed and surprised. It was as if the HHKB Pro 2 was made just for me. I adapted to the new layout almost instantly, and nearly as quickly learned to use the cursor diamond in conjunction with the Fn key. Furthermore, I liked the Topre switches as much or more than the buckling springs in my IBM keyboards. The keyboard also looks great -- I got the black case and put new white/gray dye-sub PBT keycaps on it. The typing feel and sound are excellent, and my speed and accuracy are better than with any Cherry mx keyboard I have ever used.

The HHKB Pro 2 has become my new daily driver, although I am not willing to part with my IBM SSK just yet. I will probably alternate between the two keyboards.

These are exactly also my experience. And I also switch between ssk and hhkb. I have both on my desk and depending on what I'm doing, I switch between them. And also I sometimes have days where the sound of buckling springs drive me crazy... then is time for hhkb.

Only thing I want to try in future is that silent mod for the hhkb or maybe get an additional type-s. Can't currently think about a better combination then SSK and HHKB. :)

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:47:54 »
The HHKB is awesome. I personally would want the Type-S but could not bring myself to spend $400 when there's so little available in the realm of personalization. I hope people continue to buy Topre boards so that we might see more things such as custom keycaps and whatnot. Problem is they're so expensive and so few people know how good they are.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:18:58 »
I sense a groundswell of enthusiasm for the HHKB Pro 2. Perhaps this will be sufficient to induce companies to make more customizations available. However, one of the strengths of the HHKB Pro 2 is that it does not really require customizations to make it attractive and useful. This is quite different from my experience with the Poker II -- I felt that I needed to put a set of dye-sub PBT keycaps on it and slip it into an aluminum case before it was ready for prime time. In contrast, my HHKB Pro 2 looks good to go right out of the box.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:47:43 »
However, one of the strengths of the HHKB Pro 2 is that it does not really require customizations to make it attractive and useful. This is quite different from my experience with the Poker II -- I felt that I needed to put a set of dye-sub PBT keycaps on it and slip it into an aluminum case before it was ready for prime time. In contrast, my HHKB Pro 2 looks good to go right out of the box.

I don't deny that the HHKB is good to go out of the box, and the fact that it can easily integrate with a Mac via drivers is also attractive. The thing is, with my Poker II, I don't feel I need to modify it as much as I want to fiddle with it and make it my own.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:57:38 »
I sense a groundswell of enthusiasm for the HHKB Pro 2. Perhaps this will be sufficient to induce companies to make more customizations available. However, one of the strengths of the HHKB Pro 2 is that it does not really require customizations to make it attractive and useful. This is quite different from my experience with the Poker II -- I felt that I needed to put a set of dye-sub PBT keycaps on it and slip it into an aluminum case before it was ready for prime time. In contrast, my HHKB Pro 2 looks good to go right out of the box.

It had better look good to go right out of the box.  It's 3 times the price of a Poker.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:58:54 »
GOTSTA GO NAKED

Offline tlt

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:04:00 »
I would never mod a Topre to change the sound of it. It was the sound that made me buy one in the first place. Tok tok tok ... :D

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:10:27 »
I love them so much, that I have 8.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:28:46 »
I've just got mine back, falling in love again.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 17:12:49 »
I would never mod a Topre to change the sound of it. It was the sound that made me buy one in the first place. Tok tok tok ... :D

You've got that wrong. It's "ThockClack   ThockClack   ThockClack...".

The "Clack" is when the key moves up.

Thock is fine, but Clack not so much. Muting the Clack is a great mod:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 18:54:45 »

You've got that wrong. It's "ThockClack   ThockClack   ThockClack...".

The "Clack" is when the key moves up.

Thock is fine, but Clack not so much. Muting the Clack is a great mod:

Only one key on mine goes Clack - it has 3D ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline keymaster

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 19:03:16 »
The dental mod doesn't change the thock sound when bottoming out. It mutes the plastic sound created on the upstroke.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:05:39 »
$400 and they include a USB 2.0 hub?  Why not USB 3.0?  4.0?  A fiber optic connection?  Quantum entanglement relay?  They could do a lot for $400.

They could even make the case out of something other than PLASTIC.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:07:30 by PointyFox »

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:34:57 »
$400 and they include a USB 2.0 hub?  Why not USB 3.0?  4.0?  A fiber optic connection?  Quantum entanglement relay?  They could do a lot for $400.

They have a product that -arguably- no one else has been able to match, in term or desirability. It's not even required that everybody wants it, it's enough that a significant fraction of informed customers find it superior.

So they set a unrealistic high price on it, which is the smartest thing to do.

They could as well not include the USB hub and sell it for even more, because the desirability of this product does not depend on this feature.

The competition is left to fight on price between themselves, or on fancy features. Topre doesn't have to fight on price or features.

Until Cherry or some other competitor comes up with a better switch, and I don't see that happening, Topre (Fujitsu) can sell their boards as high as they want.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 21:19:13 »
Yeah, the USB "Hub" is not really a major feature....As far as I'm concerned it is a non-feature...

Just because the case is plastic doesn't mean it isn't well made...that and really, 60% boards should probably be portable...

Plus I think half the appeal of a HHKB is the sound...and the sound comes from the case mounted (plastic) switches.  If it was made out of Aluminum, I think it would sound different..maybe more like a RF (I have both and prefer the HHKB sound) and be far heavier..

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 23:33:43 »

$400 if you decide to go with the Type-S. Personally that is unjustified for me as well because it is $400 for silencing when the board can be bought waaaaay cheaper without it. I do have to say though, for the price that you are paying for the board...you are getting a huge "THOCK" for what you pay. It is completely worth the money in my honest opinion.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 23:35:24 »
GOTSTA GO NAKED

Show Image

Blank caps look so beautiful on this board. I can't wait for my money situation to be settled again so I can get this set.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 00:14:08 »
GOTSTA GO NAKED

Show Image

Blank caps look so beautiful on this board. I can't wait for my money situation to be settled again so I can get this set.

Blanks are the way to go.  Looks better, but the typing experience is better too.  You stop looking down at the keyboard.  It really is the way to type.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 02:39:36 »
I have been using this for about two days now, and I am in love. This thing is heaven right now. It makes me actually want to do my homework and papers. I just love typing with this. Topre switches really are indescribable. It's no where close to a regular rubber dome, and no where close to a mx switch. It has a feel on its own.

I know what you're talking about. When using a great keyboard I find myself getting addicted to playing on typeracer.com =]

I also bought a topre RF 45g but I want to use it for at least 6 months to a year before writing a review.

The topre switch is good but definitely there are a lot of hype around it.

Actually a lot of rubber dome keyboards are great to type on (when they are new), but they deteriorate fast.

Contrary to your believe, I found the 45g topre to be very similar to MS natural elite

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-A11-00337-Natural-Keyboard-Elite/dp/B0000642RX/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The elite can be a very good keyboard if it doesn't have the diamond arrow keys and 90 degree insert/delete cluster.

I type faster on browns when playing typeracer, but since browns are so light I also have more typos.
I found that the 45g topre keys don't return as fast as the cherry switches.

I still enjoy the RF because of its build quality and excellent, beautiful keycaps but when I type fast I prefer the mx browns.
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 03:36:34 »
Posted my review on the reviews section

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3