Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 438814 times)

Offline Neo.X

Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #1900 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 19:32:02 »
My next project is to lube and silencing one of my HHKB, hope it will improve the typing feeling.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline brighenne

« Reply #1901 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 19:34:45 »
What are people doing to their layouts that they need Hasu's controller? At first I thought I would want one, but with the delete changed to backspace, I'm pretty content with it.

I now have volume controls which work in Windows. I also have a numeric keypad on an additional layer, similar to the embedded numeric keypad on (in?) a Realforce 87U or a Cherry ML4100. And I'm sure lots of folks shift between QWERTY, Colemak, and Dvorak layouts, and don't forget people around the world using AZERTY or QWERTZ layouts native to their home country.

Reading Hasu's setup in his keymap_hasu.c source code file is a pretty good lesson in how powerful and flexible the programming can get.

And let me add that the layouts I mentioned above are not either/or choices. You could have all of those layouts programmed into the controller and switch between them anytime.

Makes sense, all things I don't use my keyboard for, haha. Thanks for the detailed response.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #1902 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 19:45:59 »
My next project is to lube and silencing one of my HHKB, hope it will improve the typing feeling.

I would venture to say you'll enjoy the sound of it more since feeling won't change much. Lubing results in less clack also and if you use thin silencing rings, then the travel distance won't be much altered. I will say that you will enjoy typing on it more though :)
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #1903 on: Wed, 17 August 2016, 20:31:47 »

I would venture to say you'll enjoy the sound of it more since feeling won't change much. Lubing results in less clack also and if you use thin silencing rings, then the travel distance won't be much altered. I will say that you will enjoy typing on it more though :)

Thanks, I did those to my RF and Novatouch with hypersphere rings. The result is awesome. I hope it will be the same to HHKB, or even better.
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #1904 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 05:50:24 »
I just got my Type-S a few weeks ago from another user. It's unique because it's black. I've modded it aesthetically, but I didn't try lubing it yet.

Curious, do people really find the stock HHKB to be smoother than the type-S? I got to try both at a recent meet-up and I couldn't really tell the difference, to be honest.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #1905 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 06:43:50 »
You mean a black HHKB with Type-S sliders?

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #1906 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 07:24:04 »
You mean a black HHKB with Type-S sliders?

Yeah, I meant a black HHKB with the Type-S sliders. :)

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #1907 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 07:53:25 »
Some people refer to the Type-S as being scratchy. However, I'd say the difference is quite small, and only noticeable if you switch between the boards regularly. I think I prefer the Type-S over the stock HHKB Pro 2. A Pro 2 with Hypersphere's dampening rings sits somewhere between the Type-S and a stock Pro 2 in my opinion. Of the two configurations I'm not sure what I prefer :)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #1908 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 11:01:07 »
i probably would've gone with stock hhkb + hypersphere rings now, but when i got my type-s i hadn't seen as many reports of scratchiness yet.
though, switching between the ultra smooth 87u realforce and my relatively scratchy hhkb, it doesn't bother me at all.
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #1909 on: Thu, 18 August 2016, 12:56:42 »
i probably would've gone with stock hhkb + hypersphere rings now, but when i got my type-s i hadn't seen as many reports of scratchiness yet.
though, switching between the ultra smooth 87u realforce and my relatively scratchy hhkb, it doesn't bother me at all.

I think you really have to nitpick already by then! Although I haven't tried stock HHKB + hypersphere rings, so that should be nice. It's funny because I think the Type-S is actually noisier than the stock Realforce!

Some people refer to the Type-S as being scratchy. However, I'd say the difference is quite small, and only noticeable if you switch between the boards regularly. I think I prefer the Type-S over the stock HHKB Pro 2. A Pro 2 with Hypersphere's dampening rings sits somewhere between the Type-S and a stock Pro 2 in my opinion. Of the two configurations I'm not sure what I prefer :)

The Topre thock leans many ways. Some people swear just going stock! Haha. It's all a great experience overall.

Offline sushi

« Reply #1910 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 10:50:32 »
Hype --> Disappointment --> True Love.

Just under a month with my HHKB and gone from excited, to feeling ripped off, and now really appreciating the beauty of the design behind this little kb.

I just installed Hasu's controller and lubed up the sliders - lubing really makes they key presses feel more refined and 'thockier'.
So the disappointment was stock?

No, stock is actually pretty great - it just takes a while to really appreciate.

The HHKB looks so amazing in photos and is loved by so many that when you first get it, there's a lot of things at face value that disappoint:

• It's light as a feather if you've coming from a board with a metal plate
  • The case is creaky and feels like a toy
  • The USB hub and port placement seem like an afterthought
  • Lack of rubber feet in the back gives it a tendency to slide around
  • Topre just feels like rubber dome

But after using it for about a month, the experience really grows on you and you start to discover the really small details that make this board a pleasure to use. I use the hhkb a lot with my laptop and as a result, I move it around a lot. Instead of feeling light and cheap, the weight is now a benefit. Topre switches like many have said, just take some time to get used too, but after, you'll wonder why you bothered typing on anything else. The PBT keycaps that come stock with the hhkb are also top notch in quality and feel - combined with the topre domes just makes it a pleasure to type with.

It's a really pretty amazing keyboard that really only shines after using it for a while. If it weren't for all the hype around it, I'm not sure how many people would buy an HHKB after just their first hands on impression.

tl;dr - fell in love with the hhkb, just have to get past the first date.

I think my transition was helped by my Realforce as I went MX Clears > 87U 55g > HHKB JP (silenced and lubed) > HHKBBT.

With MX Clears, the bump was too harsh for me, so going to the 87u helped because it's still a nice, harsh bump but it's topre... Getting there. I then became the second owner of a silenced and lubed JP, it was super good but perhaps too soft (not sure that's the right word, there wasn't as much as a bump as I wanted). I finally took the dive and imported a BT, and everything is perfect about it. The sound and feeling is the best I've ever tried, and it's making me not want to go near MX now (which is a problem as my design work is all based on MX :rolleyes:).

Looks like that's the right way to transition  :D

Just saw your board and the Founder's Edition - Very cool! Think part of what really makes the HHKB feel the way it does is the plastic case/plate - wonder how much of that feel a carbon fibre plate will capture.

It's a pretty crappy problem though - getting excited about custom keyboards but without a topre equivalent to work with.

edit: Also - how is the HHKB BT? I know the case is different, but is the typing feel different than the stock boards as well?
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 August 2016, 10:54:01 by sushi »

Offline sushi

« Reply #1911 on: Fri, 19 August 2016, 10:52:55 »

Word of warning, I lubed and love mine right now but make sure to lube evenly and completely around the guides.

I had a few stems that didn't receive enough lube and ended up feeling sticky, scratchy, and developing the Topre rubber dome fart. Went back and applied more lube and everything has been perfect since.

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #1912 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 12:01:42 »
back into the hhkb game again. snagged a cheap hhkb pro2 for $100 excluding shipping  :p :p

Offline Baddy126

« Reply #1913 on: Sun, 21 August 2016, 12:14:08 »
back into the hhkb game again. snagged a cheap hhkb pro2 for $100 excluding shipping  :p :p

How do people get such good deals on hhkb  :eek: :eek:

Offline milchek

« Reply #1914 on: Thu, 25 August 2016, 23:34:24 »

How do people get such good deals on hhkb  :eek: :eek:

Yeah, I know. Here in Australia there ain't many for sale, I went to eBay and got one from Japan with free shipping, but still a very expensive purchase. Well worth it though, great build quality (aside from the USB mini input choice which I'm afraid is going to get loose).

I don't have any mod plans for mine except the red/blue keycap replacements. It's too expensive to mess with (for now) :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1915 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:17:40 »
Hi guys,

I have been using the HHKB type S for a few months and now Im considering getting another normal HHKB. Do you guys think it's worth getting another one just for the sound and feel. Anyone can advise on any differences with the feel and sound of the 2 keyboards?

There's not much room for variation in sound between two HHKBs.

However there could be some slight variation, especially as one has had usage for a few months, and the other will be brand spanking new.

Still, with equal usage there shouldn't be much between them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1916 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:32:08 »
edit: Also - how is the HHKB BT? I know the case is different, but is the typing feel different than the stock boards as well?
Well I haven't used a stock HHKB yet, but comparing it to the lubed/silenced JP, they're different keyboards with their unique advantages and disadvantages. I'm getting bored of the sound of my BT, so I might silence it, but why not just buy a Type-S or Pro 2 with purple sliders? I think I'll leave it stock, and use it occasionally, but I plan on getting a 2nd HHKB soon and either making it Type-S or lubed/purple sliders.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #1917 on: Fri, 26 August 2016, 06:39:22 »
Hi guys,

I have been using the HHKB type S for a few months and now Im considering getting another normal HHKB. Do you guys think it's worth getting another one just for the sound and feel. Anyone can advise on any differences with the feel and sound of the 2 keyboards?

However there could be some slight variation, especially as one has had usage for a few months, and the other will be brand spanking new.

I'm just curious here, but did you see that he asked about Type-S vs. "normal" HHKB (I'm assuming he means Pro 2)?

I think there's a pretty big difference between Type-S and regular Pro 2. I did some recordings of how they sound when typed on (also comparing Pro 2 with Hypersphere's rings), which you can find here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83292.0

I also think they feel quite different. I prefer silenced (Type-S or with Hypersphere's rings) over a stock Pro 2.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1918 on: Sat, 27 August 2016, 05:59:05 »
Hi guys,

I'm just curious here, but did you see that he asked about Type-S vs. "normal" HHKB (I'm assuming he means Pro 2)?

I think there's a pretty big difference between Type-S and regular Pro 2. I did some recordings of how they sound when typed on (also comparing Pro 2 with Hypersphere's rings), which you can find here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=83292.0

I also think they feel quite different. I prefer silenced (Type-S or with Hypersphere's rings) over a stock Pro 2.

Oops I missed the fact that one is Type S and the other not.

Yes, different sounds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #1919 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 00:18:12 »
does anyone use their hhkb pro2 on top of an 11" macbook air? How does it fit? I'm fairly certain the macbook air's 11 and 13 as well as the macbook pro all have the same keyboard size but it looks like the 11" air has no indent in the aluminum plate like the other two.

Anyway, just curious. I'll probably have to make a trip to the apple store to test some stuff out for compatibility anyways.
-Dana

Offline sushi

« Reply #1920 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 09:03:42 »
does anyone use their hhkb pro2 on top of an 11" macbook air? How does it fit? I'm fairly certain the macbook air's 11 and 13 as well as the macbook pro all have the same keyboard size but it looks like the 11" air has no indent in the aluminum plate like the other two.

Anyway, just curious. I'll probably have to make a trip to the apple store to test some stuff out for compatibility anyways.

Not my photo, but looks like it'll fit just fine :)
146633-0

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #1921 on: Mon, 29 August 2016, 23:20:25 »
hmm interesting. That goes right to the back of the hinge. thanks for digging that up.
-Dana

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1922 on: Wed, 31 August 2016, 23:52:54 »

I've tried it, but it feels awful. The keyboard just ends up way too high off the desk, and just feels pretty jury-rigged to me. I'd just as soon put the HHKB on the desk in front of the Air, maybe propping the laptop up on a couple books or something for better sight lines to the screen.

Offline Ciemnika

« Reply #1923 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 06:40:22 »

The width of the keyboards on Macbooks is the similar within a very small amount. Here's my HHKB on a rMBP15 https://www.instagram.com/p/BJLild5BEdz/?taken-by=ciemnika (which I know isn't what you asked about specifically), but what I can tell you is that positioning and avoiding slippage is the key if you don't want to bump the keys. However, you can disable the keyboard with a script (https://gist.github.com/JohnMurray/1869020). You'll get an error but the disable / enable will still work.

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #1924 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 06:55:02 »

The width of the keyboards on Macbooks is the similar within a very small amount. Here's my HHKB on a rMBP15 https://www.instagram.com/p/BJLild5BEdz/?taken-by=ciemnika (which I know isn't what you asked about specifically), but what I can tell you is that positioning and avoiding slippage is the key if you don't want to bump the keys. However, you can disable the keyboard with a script (https://gist.github.com/JohnMurray/1869020). You'll get an error but the disable / enable will still work.

Disabling the keyboard by unloading the kernel extension might be problematic. Instead you can use Karabiner to disable the internal keyboard when an external keyboard is plugged in.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #1925 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 08:21:23 »
I have some experience with an 11" MBA and a HHKB Pro 2.

I'd say it works just fine. Currently I use the keyboard with a MBP 15", which also works great. For me, the keyboard doesn't feel too elevated.

Furthermore, it's not necessary to disable the internal keyboard. Just attach some layers of thick tape to the bottom of the keyboard (barely noticeable), such that it won't hit the keyboard of the Mac. I've used this approach since I got my keyboard, and it's perfect. I can highly recommend 3M helicopter tape, which will also work as feet which stick better to the surface. I posted a photo a while ago, but I can't find the link (I think there's a thread here somewhere on the topic).

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #1926 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 18:30:50 »
Thanks for the input guys, and the pics. I too use my hhkb on my 13" air and its great except that its just a bit too narrow to straddle the keyboard correctly.
-Dana

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #1927 on: Thu, 01 September 2016, 18:37:07 »

Not my photo, but looks like it'll fit just fine :)
(Attachment Link)

It looks like a tank on Wall St., totally out of place.  :p