Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Love  (Read 440807 times)

Offline losing_ctrl

Re: HHKB Pro 2 Love
« Reply #1850 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 18:48:37 »
Type-S and Hasu controllers waiting for me at the post office :D :D :D

Type-S is great, I bet you will like it.  :thumb:

Offline Bucake

« Reply #1851 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 19:26:25 »
Type-S and Hasu controllers waiting for me at the post office :D :D :D

nice! exactly what i'm using. :-)
can't think of anything better as a daily driver. the feel is great, sound is great, and obviously has a great layout with hasu's. size / weight is great as well, if you plan on taking it with you.
(and in my opinion a PBT spacebar would be a very nice improvement as well.)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline ajx

« Reply #1852 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 09:30:43 »
Type-s is great, i agree too, i have unused Type-S in JP, i am selling all my HHKB (stock, silenced mod HHKB...) to buy Type-S, it would be my daily keyboard as well (+ my Hasu controller)

Offline Corsa1r

« Reply #1853 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:23:16 »
I've had my Type-S (only Topre board I've ever owned) since Fabruary and it's incredible.  The one thing I despise is the rather rattly spacebar (which I hear is extremely common), hoping when I get my hands on a PBT one it'll clear it up a bit.
Ducky Shine 4 - Mx Blues // Ganss G.S-87 - Mx Browns // Type-S HHKB 45g // FC660M - Mx Reds

Offline ajx

« Reply #1854 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 13:20:59 »
Nope it won't help much about rattling, you have to open keyboard and lube the wire stabilizer (with Kritox)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #1855 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 13:31:21 »
lubing didn't completely remove the sound for me. it muffled it a great deal, though. on deskthority there was a thread where they were actually playing around with padding to properly dampen the sound of the spacebar. that's probably the way to go if you want to get it really quiet
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline ajx

« Reply #1856 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 17:32:13 »
You could use whatever you want but it must be thin, otherwise i will reduce the travel and make pressing space-bar quite heavier

Offline robbles

« Reply #1857 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 19:00:21 »
Anybody else have an issue where the board doesn't sit perfectly flat after opening it? After opening it to lube and silence, it teeters just slightly. I currently have a folded up receipt under the bottom right corner to keep it stable but it is annoying nonetheless. Any tips?
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1858 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 21:42:09 »
Anybody else have an issue where the board doesn't sit perfectly flat after opening it? After opening it to lube and silence, it teeters just slightly.  Any tips?

Here's one, don't open the damn thing in the FIRST place.

If you aren't competent with these 'horrid' keyboards then why the need to open one?  It's like giving a first year apprentice permission to strip and reassemble a Chrysler A57.

Don't mess with it, if you aint got the experience sunshine.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1859 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 21:44:45 »
Anybody else have an issue where the board doesn't sit perfectly flat after opening it? After opening it to lube and silence, it teeters just slightly. I currently have a folded up receipt under the bottom right corner to keep it stable but it is annoying nonetheless. Any tips?

For my Realforce it was a bit warped out of the box, but after a quick flex it sits perfectly.

lol Elrick. I've missed your presence.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1860 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 21:49:29 »
Anybody else have an issue where the board doesn't sit perfectly flat after opening it? After opening it to lube and silence, it teeters just slightly.  Any tips?

Here's one, don't open the damn thing in the FIRST place.

If you aren't competent with these 'horrid' keyboards then why the need to open one?  It's like giving a first year apprentice permission to strip and reassemble a Chrysler A57.

Don't mess with it, if you aint got the experience sunshine.
How do I get a job without experience?
How do I get experience without a job?

Sent from my local payphone

Offline chryos1029

• Don't stop me from buying keyboard!!
« Reply #1861 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 01:54:59 »
Just got my HHKB and I'm really not that impressed.
I love the apperance of the keyboard and also the layout and the build quality.
The sound it makes is really good too.
But the switches didnt impress me :(
Or is it that I need a few more days to get used to it?
I love my linear switches but maybe topre arent for me?

\IBM Model M\Ducky Legend\IBM Model M SSK\FILCO MJ2

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1862 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 01:57:25 »

Most people who don't like it make the mistake of not giving it enough time. Use it for at least a week or two to get used to it and fall in love  ;D

Offline Bucake

« Reply #1863 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 03:49:13 »
^
seconded.

i'd say give it 2 weeks (exclusively), then go back to whatever you used before it.
at that point, if you feel glad to be rid of topre, then maybe it's not for you.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1864 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 09:03:14 »
^
seconded.

i'd say give it 2 weeks (exclusively), then go back to whatever you used before it.
at that point, if you feel glad to be rid of topre, then maybe it's not for you.

To byker and bukake

do you guys think this would be the case with anything. I mean, if I used cherry red switches everyday for two weeks, I think I would have a hook set for that as well.

I can totally confirm using topre for 2 weeks exclusively will hook you in.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1865 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 09:20:00 »
type s is a scam. they are so scratchy

just go with the normal HHKB

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1866 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 09:45:11 »

Don't listen to this seally person.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1867 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 03:10:32 »
^
seconded.

Usually it's the layout that gets people, and using HHKB exclusively for a couple of weeks lets the layout settle in.

Hopefully the same goes for the Topre feel.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1868 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 04:31:29 »
^
seconded.

Usually it's the layout that gets people, and using HHKB exclusively for a couple of weeks lets the layout settle in.

Hopefully the same goes for the Topre feel.

I always find myself reaching for the HHKB arrow keys when I use my other boards now

Offline robbles

« Reply #1869 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 12:45:09 »

For my Realforce it was a bit warped out of the box, but after a quick flex it sits perfectly.

lol Elrick. I've missed your presence.

Giving it a quick flex worked for me. Thanks romevi! Also lol Elrick, thanks for calling me Sunshine  :-*
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #1870 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 05:38:19 »
I decided to bring the black HHKB Pro 2 to the office this week, to see if it was too loud to use in the office, or if it's nicer to type on for longer periods of time. I've reached the conclusion that even though no one complains, I try to type softly, because the keyboard is just making more noise. I certainly prefer the Type-S for the office. I'll be switching keyboards again after this week.

Offline tkim

« Reply #1871 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 09:06:08 »
I take mine and just go HAM, fortunately we have activity based working so I get to annoy a different set of people each day.

Jokes aside, the hhkb isn't as bad as something like blues. Most of the rubber domes in my office emit a comparable level of noise (they're all cherry branded). I am just wondering who would have the nerve to complain to HR about the sound of someones keyboard?

;D

Offline dante

« Reply #1872 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 10:45:29 »
DID SOMEONE SAY HHKB?????

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #1873 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 11:19:03 »
Not a Pro 2... :D

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1874 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 11:23:57 »
I decided to bring the black HHKB Pro 2 to the office this week, to see if it was too loud to use in the office, or if it's nicer to type on for longer periods of time. I've reached the conclusion that even though no one complains, I try to type softly, because the keyboard is just making more noise. I certainly prefer the Type-S for the office. I'll be switching keyboards again after this week.
If you don't bring attention to the keyboard, I've found Noone even notices it.  But if someone sees it, or you mention it, people will complain.

Mines silenced though so no more pain =)

Offline dante

« Reply #1875 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 11:38:31 »
bring a unicomp to work until someone complains then switch to the standard hhkb; they will love you

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1876 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 10:26:18 »
bring a unicomp to work until someone complains then switch to the standard hhkb; they will love you

HHKB Type S is basically the only board my girlfriend will tolerate me using anymore lol

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #1877 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 02:56:29 »
Actually the standard HHKB Pro 2 annoyed me a bit when I was in the office... I silenced it yesterday using Hypersphere's silencing rings, and so far I really like the result :) It's a bit different compared to my Type-S, which I probably still prefer, but they're getting close now :) I'll post a review soon, and attach audio recordings of all "three" boards.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #1878 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 03:48:31 »
Actually the standard HHKB Pro 2 annoyed me a bit when I was in the office... I silenced it yesterday using Hypersphere's silencing rings, and so far I really like the result :) It's a bit different compared to my Type-S, which I probably still prefer, but they're getting close now :) I'll post a review soon, and attach audio recordings of all "three" boards.

The difference could be because of the keycaps. I found quite a big difference between white and black HHKB keycaps, with black being a bit more thocky, and white a bit more clacky, if you know what I mean.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #1879 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 04:00:46 »
Interesting. I'll have to make sure to make some recordings for comparison next time I switch keycaps.

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #1880 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 04:27:07 »
Yeah, I fell in love with HHKB again after I installed those silencing rings. It is quite different than my silent RF board but I really like it a lot.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline praaseyn

« Reply #1881 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 10:36:17 »
First post! Browsing GH has given me a taste for Topre, so last week I bought a HHKB pro2 type-S (my MX Blues are a little too loud for work I told myself). I've been frankly blown away by the typing experience compared to my blues, but I've a few niggles. Particularly, the delete/backspace key makes a pronounced and audible springing/pinging sound when it is released, and otherwise feels very scratchy compared to the alpha-numerics (some have more of a springy sound than others) and (smoothest of all) the return/enter and left shift. This spring is also audible when I place the keyboard on my desk - it's so loud that it's very clearly coming from the delete key. Should I expect (or hope) for this to calm down over time? I wouldn't like this to dampen my enjoyment of my board. I just had so much fun typing this.

Mandatory shoddy phone pic attached.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1882 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 10:40:10 »
First post! Browsing GH has given me a taste for Topre, so last week I bought a HHKB pro2 type-S (my MX Blues are a little too loud for work I told myself). I've been frankly blown away by the typing experience compared to my blues, but I've a few niggles. Particularly, the delete/backspace key makes a pronounced and audible springing/pinging sound when it is released, and otherwise feels very scratchy compared to the alpha-numerics (some have more of a springy sound than others) and (smoothest of all) the return/enter and left shift. This spring is also audible when I place the keyboard on my desk - it's so loud that it's very clearly coming from the delete key. Should I expect (or hope) for this to calm down over time? I wouldn't like this to dampen my enjoyment of my board. I just had so much fun typing this.

Does it only make this sound if you completely bottom out?

Offline praaseyn

« Reply #1883 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 11:06:43 »

Lightly tapping the key also does the trick. It's the kind of sound you'd get if you had a spring firmly attached to a surface and then flicked the top of it.

Offline Crossfire

« Reply #1884 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 00:37:31 »

Lightly tapping the key also does the trick. It's the kind of sound you'd get if you had a spring firmly attached to a surface and then flicked the top of it.
Open her up, rearrange the spring and the dome, lube that slider rails just for a good measure, close her down...next time you'll lubing the s**t out of every switch :)

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #1885 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 10:50:27 »

I was also underwhelmed at first but slowly realized its superiority. Stick with it (or die). Do as I say.

HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline sushi

« Reply #1886 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 07:48:24 »
Hype --> Disappointment --> True Love.

Just under a month with my HHKB and gone from excited, to feeling ripped off, and now really appreciating the beauty of the design behind this little kb.

I just installed Hasu's controller and lubed up the sliders - lubing really makes they key presses feel more refined and 'thockier'.

Offline mortalcoil

« Reply #1887 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 02:11:56 »
Just received my "S" loving every second of it since. Coming from a cherry equipped (brown) Filco I appreciate the Topre difference.......seems like a far more refined experience.

Still getting used to having to use the Fn key to engage Caps though....lol.   :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1888 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 16:44:18 »

Just under a month with my HHKB and gone from excited, to feeling ripped off, and now really appreciating the beauty of the design behind this little kb.

I just installed Hasu's controller and lubed up the sliders - lubing really makes they key presses feel more refined and 'thockier'.
So the disappointment was stock?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1889 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 02:48:53 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

If it is still under warranty and not difficult to return it, I would suggest following up with the vendor first.

Opening the keyboard and repositioning the domes could make things worse, and will almost certainly void your warranty.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sushi

« Reply #1890 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 03:36:11 »

No, stock is actually pretty great - it just takes a while to really appreciate.

The HHKB looks so amazing in photos and is loved by so many that when you first get it, there's a lot of things at face value that disappoint:

• It's light as a feather if you've coming from a board with a metal plate
  • The case is creaky and feels like a toy
  • The USB hub and port placement seem like an afterthought
  • Lack of rubber feet in the back gives it a tendency to slide around
  • Topre just feels like rubber dome

But after using it for about a month, the experience really grows on you and you start to discover the really small details that make this board a pleasure to use. I use the hhkb a lot with my laptop and as a result, I move it around a lot. Instead of feeling light and cheap, the weight is now a benefit. Topre switches like many have said, just take some time to get used too, but after, you'll wonder why you bothered typing on anything else. The PBT keycaps that come stock with the hhkb are also top notch in quality and feel - combined with the topre domes just makes it a pleasure to type with.

It's a really pretty amazing keyboard that really only shines after using it for a while. If it weren't for all the hype around it, I'm not sure how many people would buy an HHKB after just their first hands on impression.

tl;dr - fell in love with the hhkb, just have to get past the first date.

Offline praaseyn

« Reply #1891 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 05:30:12 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

If it is still under warranty and not difficult to return it, I would suggest following up with the vendor first.

Opening the keyboard and repositioning the domes could make things worse, and will almost certainly void your warranty.

Thanks! I live in Europe so I had to import it from amazon.co.jp - unfortunately not in a position to claim on my warranty. I'll just stick with it for now and hope that some of the scratchiness of the key will fade with time and I'll just forget about the spring. I'll reassess in a month or so and just enjoy the rest of the typing experience... I shouldn't have to use the backspace as much as I currently do ;D

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #1892 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 10:53:02 »

Don't listen to this seally person.

please don't kill me, but this time i have to agree with mr. seal here.

i'm actually sold my type-s to buy a normal HHKB2, just because i'm sooooo loving the sound of the normal HHKB (much) more.

TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1893 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 06:05:18 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Thanks! I live in Europe so I had to import it from amazon.co.jp - unfortunately not in a position to claim on my warranty. I'll just stick with it for now and hope that some of the scratchiness of the key will fade with time and I'll just forget about the spring. I'll reassess in a month or so and just enjoy the rest of the typing experience... I shouldn't have to use the backspace as much as I currently do ;D

Ah, that would make returning it a bit more difficult.

Well, if you're able to use it for now, great!  It might smooth out a bit in time.

If not, there's lots of ideas and people around to help you try to fix it.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1894 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 08:57:30 »

No, stock is actually pretty great - it just takes a while to really appreciate.

The HHKB looks so amazing in photos and is loved by so many that when you first get it, there's a lot of things at face value that disappoint:

• It's light as a feather if you've coming from a board with a metal plate
  • The case is creaky and feels like a toy
  • The USB hub and port placement seem like an afterthought
  • Lack of rubber feet in the back gives it a tendency to slide around
  • Topre just feels like rubber dome

But after using it for about a month, the experience really grows on you and you start to discover the really small details that make this board a pleasure to use. I use the hhkb a lot with my laptop and as a result, I move it around a lot. Instead of feeling light and cheap, the weight is now a benefit. Topre switches like many have said, just take some time to get used too, but after, you'll wonder why you bothered typing on anything else. The PBT keycaps that come stock with the hhkb are also top notch in quality and feel - combined with the topre domes just makes it a pleasure to type with.

It's a really pretty amazing keyboard that really only shines after using it for a while. If it weren't for all the hype around it, I'm not sure how many people would buy an HHKB after just their first hands on impression.

tl;dr - fell in love with the hhkb, just have to get past the first date.

I think my transition was helped by my Realforce as I went MX Clears > 87U 55g > HHKB JP (silenced and lubed) > HHKBBT.

With MX Clears, the bump was too harsh for me, so going to the 87u helped because it's still a nice, harsh bump but it's topre... Getting there. I then became the second owner of a silenced and lubed JP, it was super good but perhaps too soft (not sure that's the right word, there wasn't as much as a bump as I wanted). I finally took the dive and imported a BT, and everything is perfect about it. The sound and feeling is the best I've ever tried, and it's making me not want to go near MX now (which is a problem as my design work is all based on MX :rolleyes:).

Offline brighenne

« Reply #1895 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 14:31:49 »
What are people doing to their layouts that they need Hasu's controller? At first I thought I would want one, but with the delete changed to backspace, I'm pretty content with it.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #1896 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 17:28:15 »
What are people doing to their layouts that they need Hasu's controller? At first I thought I would want one, but with the delete changed to backspace, I'm pretty content with it.
Indeed -- this has been somewhat of a mystery to me as well. For me, the main elements of the HHKB are the 60% form factor, Topre switches, Topre dye-sub PBT keycaps, and the famed HHKB layout. Whereas I can find the form factor, switches, and caps on other keyboards, the unique feature and chief attraction of the HHKB is its efficient and intuitive layout. However, for keyboard enthusiasts, one person's perfection is a challenge to be altered and tweaked to suit the tastes of another person. As for me, I use the legendary Xwhatsit, Hasu, and Soarer controllers/converters to morph the layout on non-HHKB keyboards into a HHKB configuration.

Offline iichigoz

« Reply #1897 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 20:48:52 »
Hi guys,

I have been using the HHKB type S for a few months and now Im considering getting another normal HHKB. Do you guys think it's worth getting another one just for the sound and feel. Anyone can advise on any differences with the feel and sound of the 2 keyboards?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1898 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 21:28:26 »

I now have volume controls which work in Windows. I also have a numeric keypad on an additional layer, similar to the embedded numeric keypad on (in?) a Realforce 87U or a Cherry ML4100. And I'm sure lots of folks shift between QWERTY, Colemak, and Dvorak layouts, and don't forget people around the world using AZERTY or QWERTZ layouts native to their home country.

Reading Hasu's setup in his keymap_hasu.c source code file is a pretty good lesson in how powerful and flexible the programming can get.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 August 2016, 23:04:19 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Tactile

« Reply #1899 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 22:23:59 »
And let me add that the layouts I mentioned above are not either/or choices. You could have all of those layouts programmed into the controller and switch between them anytime.
REΛLFORCE