Author Topic: Petitioning CM/Filco/Whoever to make a KB with GMK caps.  (Read 5022 times)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Petitioning CM/Filco/Whoever to make a KB with GMK caps.
« on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 00:14:13 »
As some of you are aware I'm a huge fan of both vintage Cherry caps and new stuff from GMK and it bothers me that none of the manufacturers see the value in putting GMK double-shot caps on their boards. We know that with volume pricing GMK caps are reasonably priced ($86USD for 104 set) and we know that people will pay silly amounts of money for keyboards so it's crazy that no-one has bothered to do it yet.

What I propose is we write an open letter stating what we want, get a petition together with some photos showing just how awesome Cherry caps are and then plug it around the web. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to get a ton of signatures and then start contacting manufacturers to show that the demand and profit is there.

Have I become too much of a GMK fanboi or is this not a half bad idea?

Obligatory pics to show off Cherry awesomeness.

It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Petitioning CM/Filco/Whoever to make a KB with GMK caps.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 00:26:25 »
All we gotta do is say is they make gaming better......instant sales.....

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 01:52:12 »
All we gotta do is say is they make gaming better......instant sales.....

This guy gets it.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 02:00:16 »
I need my futuristic gaming font for more kills though

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 08:15:40 »
I need my futuristic gaming font for more kills though

yeah....maybe even a few buttons that say kill would make gaming so much better.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 09:58:48 »
Not all of us pro gamers like the ugly fonts associated with it ;D
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 10:10:33 »
I agree, and Filco, Ducky and CM have all been great when it comes to supporting multiple languages as well. This is the only way I reasonably see this ever happening.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 19:09:28 »
here some pics
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 22:03:18 »
I don't think the majority of CM's customers will buy.  Those caps would at least double the prices.

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 22:10:32 »
I don't think the majority of CM's customers will buy.  Those caps would at least double the prices.

^this

I'm sure we all look from our perspective and I'd love to be proved wrong.

But all these manufacturer they'd have hard numbers to show them what customer's are buying.

Just look at QFR, before its time, we have filco and they don't sell that well.

Even hard core gamers scorn that $90 keyboard is too much, and they spend a lot more than your average consumers (relatively speaking).

Ducky already did their part and produced the thick dyesub PBT G2 Pro, but they said they are not making any more. I guess it's either 1) it doesn't sell a lot 2) it costs too much to produce

Anyway, I am not a vendor, I don't have the numbers. But I know the kb enthusiast market isn't that big.
10 out of 10 of my friends give me a WTF look when I told them I bought $400 of plastic keycaps last month.
So there you go.
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 04:08:47 »
Well, sane people do a value/cost check.
Most of us value these things way too much.
We're not sane, ofc. :)
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline tbc

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 04:37:39 »
seen the price difference between the og mona lisa and a replica?  humanity can talk about sanity after we figure that out...
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 04:48:03 »
I will sign the petition if they promise to sell the keycaps separately, or someone promises to sell them to me once they buy the keyboard, since I am not going to be ever buy a MX based board.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 04:49:32 »
I'd love to think that they would listen and actually make this happen but either they'd have to (a) increase the price of their boards which I very much doubt they'd be willing to do and / or (b) take a hit on their profit margins - again something I very much doubt they'd be willing to do.

Nice pics of your boards though!
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 06:42:25 »
That would be great, but with how they currently promote and their marketing strategy at the moment.. I doubt this will happen, at least not so soon.

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 07:30:45 »
As much as I'd love this to happen, it'll never happen. :(

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 08:52:03 »
This is gonna happen only provided next generation of Apple keyboards will be like that—chiclet keyboards are spreading like plague because of Apple.

I'm more concerned about quality... why the hell there aren't PBT/POM keycaps on every other keyboard, when Cherry Corp. put them even on the G83 crap and $75 Noppoo Choc Mini has keycaps like that as well, but *thick*?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 09:05:01 »
I don't think it can happen. Just look when we are struggling to reach even 200 sets in groupbuy. It's not worth the trouble to the manufacturer to offer it even as a limited edition if there is no proof it will sell at $190+ price points. I think for any manufacturer to take it serious there would probably need over 1000 signatures.
I think maybe it could happen with a more upstart that was really looking for something to set apart if they wanted to be seen as a 'boutique' brand. But more likely they would do like Vortex and find cheaper solution instead of using GMK.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 10:26:52 »
I don't think it can happen. Just look when we are struggling to reach even 200 sets in groupbuy. It's not worth the trouble to the manufacturer to offer it even as a limited edition if there is no proof it will sell at $190+ price points. I think for any manufacturer to take it serious there would probably need over 1000 signatures.
I think maybe it could happen with a more upstart that was really looking for something to set apart if they wanted to be seen as a 'boutique' brand. But more likely they would do like Vortex and find cheaper solution instead of using GMK.

On another note Vortex is coming out with the DS thick PBT look alike Cherry legends and prices are very good, I can see many of us wanting the new Vortex caps down the road.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?