Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Hate  (Read 56444 times)

Offline pbtforever

Re: HHKB Pro 2 Hate
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 10:38:42 »
Hate to pile on the hate wagon here, but mine is literally sitting on my shelf, albeit in the box. It's in mint pristine condition, only touched a few times. I just couldn't get the hang of the weird layout. I guess I'm not elite enough to use it. I'll probably sell it one of these days, when I'm not as occupied.

But I really envy all the users who get so much pleasure from it. To me, the FC660C is the best of all worlds, and I actually prefer the feel and thock of it more than the HHKB 2 Pro. 

While I can see why so many people love it, I can also see why so many people hate it.

I'll give you $50.

;D

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 11:19:04 »
Makes sense. Compliment your black HHKB. Shipping to us is $33?

$12 for US Fedex. Anything CONUS is cheap. 2 day usps when I ship to people is $6.. fedex for this was $12 I love EK!

But yep the white since I have dark grey. :)

I don' think you will be shipping a 4lb keyboard in 2 days for $6  :p

I was referring to US has good rates for fast shipping ha didn't say it was keyboards. :p
But wow EK has a good shipping rate.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 11:22:09 »

$12 for US Fedex. Anything CONUS is cheap. 2 day usps when I ship to people is $6.. fedex for this was $12 I love EK!

I was referring to US has good rates for fast shipping ha didn't say it was keyboards. :p

Most of the time yes but for some reason I got hosed recently on shipping a keyboard in the US not sure if it was a combination of weight and size or what but it costs entirely too much.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #203 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 11:23:07 »

Most of the time yes but for some reason I got hosed recently on shipping a keyboard in the US not sure if it was a combination of weight and size or what but it costs entirely too much.

I hear you there maybe I should try fedex instead of usps for some stuff.

Offline aref

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 19:05:45 »
Really? I had one in my shopping cart all night on elitekeyboards. Couldn't go through w it though. So tempting.

In my opinion, yes :)

Smooth crispy goodness..

HHKB is good too mind you, but I just like the 55g that bit better

+1 I use a 55-gram 87U and really like it too. It's a crisp switch and my appreciation of this switch increases with use. The 55-gram Topre is a fine switch.

Offline chel-

« Reply #205 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 19:12:24 »
If any of u HHKB haters want to sell yours and it's black I'll buy it.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 19:33:05 »
I went through with it and ordered it! :)

Good man.

I was very pleased with my purchase even though I had to pay to get it shipped halfway around the world :)
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 19:41:15 »
Not too heavy? That's the only thing I'm worried about --  I prefer lighter switches, and 45g feels perfect as far as force, but increased tactility sounds great...
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 20:11:55 »
Not too heavy? That's the only thing I'm worried about --  I prefer lighter switches, and 45g feels perfect as far as force, but increased tactility sounds great...

There are guys here that will say it's no stiffer than an HHKB, but it is. Don't get me wrong...I love my 55g. But it is stiffer. For me, the 55g can be a bit stiff on prolonged typing sessions. My HHKB key weighting is perfect. But, I also have a RF variable silent that I like. I don't have a RF 45g uniform.

It all boils down to personal preference and typing style. The only way to tell is to buy the 55g or find somebody who has one that you can use. Most guys here prefer it over any of the other Topre switch weights.

Offline aref

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 12:51:56 »

There are guys here that will say it's no stiffer than an HHKB, but it is. Don't get me wrong...I love my 55g. But it is stiffer. For me, the 55g can be a bit stiff on prolonged typing sessions. My HHKB key weighting is perfect. But, I also have a RF variable silent that I like. I don't have a RF 45g uniform.

It all boils down to personal preference and typing style. The only way to tell is to buy the 55g or find somebody who has one that you can use. Most guys here prefer it over any of the other Topre switch weights.

Sound advice from Macsmasher.

Actuation force and switch preference are a collective matter of personal preference. For me, the 55-gram is right; but others I know who have 87U KBs prefer the softer feel of Topre 45-gram switches.
The 55-gram switch is more tactile, at least for me, than 45-gram Topre boards I owned. The tactile nature of a Topre switch is much different from that of MX Brown, Blue, or Green switches; I prefer Topre's unique feel.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2014, 13:02:33 by SSKGuy »

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
HHKB Pro 2 Hate
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 08:18:40 »
Dustin, have you received the RF yet? I was happy to call dibs on Bro Caps' NIB RF 55g Black for $180!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 13:29:25 »
I can't hate on the HHKB, even though it's my least favorite Topre board.

It's still Topre, which to me is the cream of the crop. Even though I'm whole hog ErgoDox these days, I'm thinking about getting another 55g 87U just to have one.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 20:20:42 »
How much do you think an ErgoDox topre board would go for.. if it existed?

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #213 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 20:30:23 »
There already is a split ergonomic japanese topre keyboard that goes for $600 called the utron.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #214 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 20:37:30 »
Yeah, but that doesn't look anything like an ErgoDox..

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 20:39:31 »
Well I believe a topre ergodox is daerid's dream keyboard—he'd even sell his soul for it. There's your answer: topre ergodox costs one daerid soul.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 20:43:45 »
Well I believe a topre ergodox is daerid's dream keyboard—he'd even sell his soul for it. There's your answer: topre ergodox costs one daerid soul.

^^^

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 20:59:39 »
lol

Offline tbc

« Reply #218 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 22:32:21 »

one soul per PCB though right?  looks like he's never going to get his dream... :p
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #219 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 22:35:16 »

one soul per PCB though right?  looks like he's never going to get his dream... :p
If sifo's soul can be split into so many pieces, I'm sure that Daerid's soul can get 2 PCB's.  :p

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #220 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 22:53:33 »
If sifo's soul can be split into so many pieces, I'm sure that Daerid's soul can get 2 PCB's.  :p

Your soul is worth far more than some pissy keyboard made in japan  8) .

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #221 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 22:58:39 »

Your soul is worth far more than some pissy keyboard made in japan  8) .
But I'm not using my soul to get that 'pissy keyboard that's made in japan' I'm using $260  :rolleyes:

Offline Mainian

« Reply #222 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 07:36:15 »
I didn't really like my HHKB too much. Honestly, I think it was the lack of dedicated arrow keys... I really couldn't stand using that style of arrow cluster for very long while coding.

I'm not even sure what's my favorite switch anymore. Using a FC660C right now as my daily driver, but when I switch back to MX I usually stay there for a few days and switch back.

I think my ideal keyboard will end up being a realforce 55g though...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 17:10:51 »

Yes.... yes it will.

Offline Emospence

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 19:34:46 »

Yes.... yes it will.

Mine did.. DO IT.
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #225 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:21:08 »
====
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:48:06 by Xowie »
RETIRED

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #226 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:46:56 »
ONE OF US ONE OF US
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:55:44 »
Picked up my HHKB this morning on the way to work. After using it for a day, I HATE that I am now considering picking up another one for the office (on a grad student budget)! I had my reservations about the omission of certain keys, but it seems like in practice it doesn't matter. Also my office mates would probably appreciate if I do not use cherry greens any more. Below is a size comparison against a CM storm qf tk

(Attachment Link)

I told you you wouldn't regret it!

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 01:39:45 »
Picked up my HHKB this morning on the way to work. After using it for a day, I HATE that I am now considering picking up another one for the office (on a grad student budget)! I had my reservations about the omission of certain keys, but it seems like in practice it doesn't matter. Also my office mates would probably appreciate if I do not use cherry greens any more. Below is a size comparison against a CM storm qf tk

(Attachment Link)

I regret that i have regrets.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 03:37:14 »

(Attachment Link)

I regret that i have regrets.

Do you regret that you are one post away from enlightenment?  Or at least from a star?

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mapple

« Reply #230 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 05:31:52 »
Has there been anyone who bought a HHKB 2 and dislike and shelfed it? It's beginning to grow on me after 2 months and I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with all those MX boards I have.

If I started my mech adventure knowing that Topre is my destiny, imagine the amount of dollars I would have saved.

Thus, I'm curious as to the percentage of people who ended up hating or disliking it. We have many Topre and HHKB love threads. Is there one who dislike it and this let is hear your voice.

And if you are thinking of buying a mech and if you knew that Topre is the end game for many and no one ever regret it, then it's a no brainier for new member to jump directly to HHKB, isn't it? Yeah, it's more expensive but so is owning multiple Cherry variants.

well in other hand have you though about ppl which had hhkb and hate it? and seriously straight from heart? that would be starting and wasting money just from starters
In God We Trust

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 08:43:26 »
I love typing on my HHKB Pro 2, it feels so great and unique. But I don't use it much, because I map Caplock to Backspace, and in HHKB, the Caplock is actually Ctrl.  :(
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 11:50:19 »

If I started my mech adventure knowing that Topre is my destiny, imagine the amount of dollars I would have saved.

don't think of it that way! it was a great journey that brought you to the one true switch and layout.

all hail topre!

All the MX money I saved would have let me buy a Type-S! And Topre Clacks!

I'm trying to give people the shortcut to end game!!

The sad thing is that if you are the type of person who has MX and wants to try Topre regradless of already being pretty satisfied with what you have, that mean that it would work the other way as well. If you started with Topre, it would only be a matter of time before you finally cracked and would try out at least one MX.

Personally I tried Topre but was not sure about it. Still every once in a while I think about buying one. Sometimes when you own something and allow yourself to get used to it you like it a lot more than at first try, even if the first try was underwhelming. If the HHKB were more available where I live, and about 30% less expensive I would already own one. Right now, it is also a question of, even if I like it, am I willing to spend that much money on it. A non-issue for many people on this board I know (what is a few bucks compared to keyboard typing bliss), but something my circumstances force me to think about.

A philosopher! I like it. :P

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 17:18:06 »
====
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:48:28 by Xowie »
RETIRED

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 21:58:31 »
Does anyone consistently travel with their HHKB? It is small enough that I can put it in my gym bag but I am slightly afraid that I might wear out the microusb port on the hhkb.

I'll be in college next year and my mom keeps joking around that I will be "that guy" who carries his own (60%) keyboard to all his classes  :p

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 22:06:33 »
Does anyone consistently travel with their HHKB? It is small enough that I can put it in my gym bag but I am slightly afraid that I might wear out the microusb port on the hhkb.

I'll be in college next year and my mom keeps joking around that I will be "that guy" who carries his own (60%) keyboard to all his classes  :p

And maybe the year after you can be the guy who takes his Ergo-Dox to all his classes  ;D
;)

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 27 February 2014, 23:39:32 »
Why don't you get a small cable that is micro USB to USB A female? All the strain should be on the A Female right?
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 February 2014, 23:42:30 by Shikarikato »

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 18:50:10 »
I can't tell if this thread title is sarcastic or not but
As much as I want a HHKB, the rabid fanboy mentality around it really turns me off from part of the community here. Literally half of the exchanges I've seen on this website go like this:
"hi guys what's a good cherry mx/alps keyboa-"
"get a hhkb throw away all of your cherry mx keyboards i am a sheltered rich college student who does not understand budget limitations"
"topre is one true typing experience dirty peasant"
i've borrowed a HHKB Pro2 from a friend so i know how good they are to type on, but jesus, guys, calm down

/rant
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2014, 18:52:48 by Roibhilin »

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 19:07:18 »
====
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2015, 11:48:46 by Xowie »
RETIRED

Offline Schwarz

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 19:19:14 »
I sold mine after a few weeks.

I have a feeling it wouldn't be quite as popular around here if it weren't for its price tag.
HHKB Pro2 |  Poker II (Red) | Filco MJ2 (Brown)

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 19:52:00 »
Why don't you get a small cable that is micro USB to USB A female? All the strain should be on the A Female right?

Do you mean leave a small cable plugged into the HHKB while traveling? That has the potential for causing more damage than plugging and unplugging one.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #241 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 19:53:31 »
I have a feeling it wouldn't be quite as popular around here if it weren't for its price tag.

lol ok

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #242 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:48:59 »
Use a 90 degree cable adapter. mine always stays in the back of my hhkb so all the stress is on that not the hhkb usb port.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 22:08:56 »

i have a feeling you're dumb.

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 22:22:23 »
As much as I want a HHKB, the rabid fanboy mentality around it really turns me off from part of the community here. Literally half of the exchanges I've seen on this website go like this:
"get a hhkb throw away all of your cherry mx keyboards i am a sheltered rich college student who does not understand budget limitations"
i've borrowed a HHKB Pro2 from a friend so i know how good they are to type on, but jesus, guys, calm down

/rant

I would say that is a fair viewpoint. I also had some of the same concerns before I bought mine (it seems like there is a cultish following of the hhkb, wasn't sure if it could live up). I do think hearing a variety of opinions would be nice as well (seems to be a strong topre camp).

That being said, I think it is a good sign though for someone contemplating buying one that for the most part, people are pretty happy with their hhkb.  I did end up buying one (err two) and have no regrets.
Seriously, though, it's worse than people who say "get a mac!!!!" whenever someone says that there's something wrong with their PC or vice versa.
I don't know if you can apply an adjective like "pretentious" to a keyboard, but if you could HHKB would probably be the closest fit
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2014, 22:28:42 by Roibhilin »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #245 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 22:30:34 »

HAHAHA SUCKS FOR YOUUUUUUUU

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #246 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 22:57:39 »

/rant

I would say that is a fair viewpoint. I also had some of the same concerns before I bought mine (it seems like there is a cultish following of the hhkb, wasn't sure if it could live up). I do think hearing a variety of opinions would be nice as well (seems to be a strong topre camp).

That being said, I think it is a good sign though for someone contemplating buying one that for the most part, people are pretty happy with their hhkb.  I did end up buying one (err two) and have no regrets.
Seriously, though, it's worse than people who say "get a mac!!!!" whenever someone says that there's something wrong with their PC or vice versa.
I don't know if you can apply an adjective like "pretentious" to a keyboard, but if you could HHKB would probably be the closest fit
Or people are joking and you can't tell.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #247 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 03:45:41 »

/rant

This x100.
;)

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 04:30:08 »
In the camp of Topre, one has to be somewhat strong minded. You cannot judge Topre simply because of a few trivial reasons but once when you have decided to take on Topre you must remain loyal to your own type. Even inside the Topre camp, the fight is neverending between tastes over which Topre keyboard is better than the other.

Bottom line is, you cannot really choose Topre on a whim for an outsider. The bitter rivalry exists both outside as well as inside yet for most Topre keyboards it will cost you a pretty dime regardless.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 09:14:19 »

/rant

you must be pretty dedicated to joking considering about six thousand of your posts are what I'm talking about
edit:
And I'm sorry, but none of you have done anything to refute how sheltered you sound. Even in the realm of mechanical keyboards, literally none of you seem to understand that some people have financial limitations or have better things to spend their money on than 260 dollar keyboards.
If any of you work in data entry I'd love to see you guys trying to bang out numeric values on the number row.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 09:18:53 by Roibhilin »