Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 Hate  (Read 56399 times)

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
Re: HHKB Pro 2 Hate
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 09:33:17 »
I think you're over thinking this. No one actually believes that by owning a Topre board they're somehow better than everyone else. It's a running gag that Topre is God's gift from heaven, that's it. Calm down mate.

« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 09:40:30 by RESPRiT »
;)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #251 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 10:37:31 »
HHKB isn't for everyone. It wasn't for me, which is why I sold mine. But I still appreciate the engineering and skill that went into it. Also, the design for was originally for UNIX users, so I wouldn't assume that the average user would appreciate it, let alone like it. I don't hate it, which is what I said before. It just doesn't work for me.

But I want to go on record to say, it looks fabulous, and I envy those of you who love it, KUDOS!

btw: typed this on MX Browns :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 10:39:53 by morpheus »

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #252 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 10:39:14 »
I can't tell if this thread title is sarcastic or not but
As much as I want a HHKB, the rabid fanboy mentality around it really turns me off from part of the community here. Literally half of the exchanges I've seen on this website go like this:
"hi guys what's a good cherry mx/alps keyboa-"
"get a hhkb throw away all of your cherry mx keyboards i am a sheltered rich college student who does not understand budget limitations"
"topre is one true typing experience dirty peasant"
i've borrowed a HHKB Pro2 from a friend so i know how good they are to type on, but jesus, guys, calm down

/rant

I would say that is a fair viewpoint. I also had some of the same concerns before I bought mine (it seems like there is a cultish following of the hhkb, wasn't sure if it could live up). I do think hearing a variety of opinions would be nice as well (seems to be a strong topre camp).

That being said, I think it is a good sign though for someone contemplating buying one that for the most part, people are pretty happy with their hhkb.  I did end up buying one (err two) and have no regrets.
Seriously, though, it's worse than people who say "get a mac!!!!" whenever someone says that there's something wrong with their PC or vice versa.
I don't know if you can apply an adjective like "pretentious" to a keyboard, but if you could HHKB would probably be the closest fit
Or people are joking and you can't tell.
you must be pretty dedicated to joking considering about six thousand of your posts are what I'm talking about
edit:
And I'm sorry, but none of you have done anything to refute how sheltered you sound. Even in the realm of mechanical keyboards, literally none of you seem to understand that some people have financial limitations or have better things to spend their money on than 260 dollar keyboards.
If any of you work in data entry I'd love to see you guys trying to bang out numeric values on the number row.

You seem to like making blanket statements. Who are "we" and why do "we" need to refute anything to you?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #253 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:06:26 »
I might be one of those people that dislike the HHKB and Topre in general.  I have been a buckling spring warrior for some time now, and the clicktastic feel of Model M's and F's sticks in your blood.  I originally liked Topre because of the lightness of the switches, but some Model F's are just as light with a better feel to them. 

I got a HHKB a couple days ago and have been using it since it walked in the door.  I am not a big fan of the delete key and lack of navigation on the first layer.  I occassionally have to fumble around to get to those arrow keys, and it annoys me a bit.  With heavy navigation, my hand gets a bit tired having to hold down the function key.

In addition, the keys do feel quite mushy, and I was hoping for a crisper, more high quality feel.  The "thock" is not impressing me much.  After a couple days on the HHKB, I am about ready to go fleeing back to my buckling spring keyboards.  I have a hunch that I am more accurate typer with buckling spring boards.  Not really sure.  I will give the HHKB a couple more days to form a complete opinion.

Regardless, this keyboard is a beautiful piece of engineering, and I commend the designers for creating the thing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:08:10 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Schwarz

« Reply #254 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:09:33 »
I have a feeling it wouldn't be quite as popular around here if it weren't for its price tag.

lol ok

i have a feeling you're dumb.
HAHAHA SUCKS FOR YOUUUUUUUU

Post-purchase rationalization is a funny thing.

To each his own, keyboards are about preference. +1 HHKB "hater", this thread needs more of them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:34:16 by Schwarz »
HHKB Pro2 |  Poker II (Red) | Filco MJ2 (Brown)

Offline Roibhilin

• Saver of Humens
« Reply #255 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:38:48 »
-snip-

You seem to like making blanket statements. Who are "we" and why do "we" need to refute anything to you?

I think you're over thinking this. No one actually believes that by owning a Topre board they're somehow better than everyone else. It's a running gag that Topre is God's gift from heaven, that's it. Calm down mate.

Show Image

welp
they are good keyboards but it's just something i've noticed from the community in general and i probably don't see any innate humor in the joke because I'm new to GH, but please try to have some perspective, guys

QFR | Poker II | Quickfire TK

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #256 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 11:54:12 »
As much as I want a HHKB, the rabid fanboy mentality around it really turns me off from part of the community here. Literally half of the exchanges I've seen on this website go like this:
"get a hhkb throw away all of your cherry mx keyboards i am a sheltered rich college student who does not understand budget limitations"
i've borrowed a HHKB Pro2 from a friend so i know how good they are to type on, but jesus, guys, calm down

/rant

I would say that is a fair viewpoint. I also had some of the same concerns before I bought mine (it seems like there is a cultish following of the hhkb, wasn't sure if it could live up). I do think hearing a variety of opinions would be nice as well (seems to be a strong topre camp).

That being said, I think it is a good sign though for someone contemplating buying one that for the most part, people are pretty happy with their hhkb.  I did end up buying one (err two) and have no regrets.
Seriously, though, it's worse than people who say "get a mac!!!!" whenever someone says that there's something wrong with their PC or vice versa.
I don't know if you can apply an adjective like "pretentious" to a keyboard, but if you could HHKB would probably be the closest fit
you must be pretty dedicated to joking considering about six thousand of your posts are what I'm talking about
edit:
And I'm sorry, but none of you have done anything to refute how sheltered you sound. Even in the realm of mechanical keyboards, literally none of you seem to understand that some people have financial limitations or have better things to spend their money on than 260 dollar keyboards.
If any of you work in data entry I'd love to see you guys trying to bang out numeric values on the number row.

Thats why I have a ten key pad !

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #257 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 13:09:56 »

I have a feeling it wouldn't be quite as popular around here if it weren't for its price tag.

lol ok

i have a feeling you're dumb.
HAHAHA SUCKS FOR YOUUUUUUUU

Post-purchase rationalization is a funny thing.

To each his own, keyboards are about preference. +1 HHKB "hater", this thread needs more of them.

I don't have a HHKB.

And I have way more MX post-purchase rationalization to do before I start worrying about any HHKB ;).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #258 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 21:45:13 »

/rant

I have a Mac AND an HHKB.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #259 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 22:12:51 »

/rant

edit:

man, you sound like a baby. did somebody miss their nap?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #260 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 22:21:07 »

/rant

edit:

man, you sound like a baby. did somebody miss their nap?

I just took a nap, and I feel much better now.  Highly recommended.

posted from my HHKB
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #261 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 22:21:37 »
I sold mine after a few weeks.

BINGO.....he hit the nail on the head.  If the HHKB was selling for $50.00USD no one would touch it here and only referring to it as another "cheapo dome" keyboard.  But stick a $300.00USD sticker on it and everyone here on GH start wetting their pants and proclaiming to everyone else, that this keyboard is the BEST in the world.

Again, drop the price on it and we'll see if that sentiment stays the same  8) .

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #262 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 22:25:07 »
yeah EK, please drop the price on it.. for science! im sure NOBODY that already owns one will buy it because it's SO cheap now that ANYBODY can buy it and we will all lose the status of being elite hhkb owners

oh, im being sarcastic. in case Roibhilin doesn't get it.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #263 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 22:36:11 »
I sold mine after a few weeks.

BINGO.....he hit the nail on the head.  If the HHKB was selling for $50.00USD no one would touch it here and only referring to it as another "cheapo dome" keyboard.  But stick a $300.00USD sticker on it and everyone here on GH start wetting their pants and proclaiming to everyone else, that this keyboard is the BEST in the world.

Again, drop the price on it and we'll see if that sentiment stays the same  8) .

Because $500 Cherry keyboards with any random switch don't feel the same as a $60 keyboard, am I right?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #264 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 22:40:19 »

yeah EK, please drop the price on it.. for science! im sure NOBODY that already owns one will buy it because it's SO cheap now that ANYBODY can buy it and we will all lose the status of being elite hhkb owners

I'm about to get a HHKB, but I'm unfortunately going to get a really, really good deal on it, so I won't have the satisfaction of spending more money than other people.

Forever a peasant...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #265 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 22:41:23 »

I'm about to get a HHKB, but I'm unfortunately going to get a really, really good deal on it, so I won't have the satisfaction of spending more money than other people.

Forever a peasant...

well what you can do is this.

buy it for the cheap peasant price you're going to get it for, and then literally burn the rest of the money and we'll let you in our super secret club of big money spenders.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #266 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 22:43:58 »

Forever a peasant...

well what you can do is this.

buy it for the cheap peasant price you're going to get it for, and then literally burn the rest of the money and we'll let you in our super secret club of big money spenders.
Make sure to provide proof of this money burning. You can't allow anyone without proof into the club!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #267 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 22:45:27 »
good idea air tree, honorary big money spenders club member

Offline Mr. C

« Reply #268 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 23:58:13 »
I can't say I hate my HHKB but it is overrated.  It is more fun to look at than use.  It is missing a few keys and severally keys are in the wrong place.  I'll be posting mine in the marketplace soon.

87u 55g, 87u 45g, FC660c, HHKB and soon 104-DK 45g

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #269 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:06:24 »
I can't say I hate my HHKB but it is overrated.  It is more fun to look at than use.  It is missing a few keys and severally keys are in the wrong place.  I'll be posting mine in the marketplace soon.

87u 55g, 87u 45g, FC660c, HHKB and soon 104-DK 45g

it's not for everybody that's for sure. i know some need a tenkey or readily available F keys.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #270 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:11:31 »

Forever a peasant...

It's ok demik's current HHKB didn't cost him much either. :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #271 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:15:51 »
that it didn't.

it's good to have friends.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #272 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 00:18:38 »
that it didn't.

it's good to have friends.

you're welcome :D

anything to get you typing on something other than that siig
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 March 2014, 16:11:44 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #273 on: Sun, 02 March 2014, 18:43:20 »

/rant

edit:

Took me some time to respond to this even though I have read the thread in my phone - sorry. But let me share my view. This is a keyboard enthusiasts forum. Many of the members here have owned mech keyboards for years. And this is probably one of their passion/hobby which they are more than willing to spend money on. Many, like me, think that this is a the cheapest of a man's hobby - compare to sports car, audio system, scuba diving and what not. Over the years, people upgrade their equipments and many ended up in the 'best' there is to offer which is the HHKB. Naturally, the good-natured jest among the members would be to recommend the best keyboard and discouraging people from going the Cherry path, because, hey they have been there.

It is not a matter of people working in a data entry job or anything. This is a hobby that has grown over the years and people saved up for what they like best.

You probably just started down this path. And I am sure you could afford a HHKB but you will be wondering if it is mad to spend so much on a keyboard when a Cherry would suffice. Use the Cherry and see if the passion for mech keyboard grows within you? If it didn't, then enjoy the Cherry, it is a great keyboard. But if you love it and wonder if there is something better.. and how would that Brobots looked in your current keyboard, you know that you have a new hobby. Wouldn't you want to save for the better keyboard then?

Hope you will join us one day :D

Offline acsim

« Reply #274 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 10:29:22 »
I've just ordered a HHKB and was just wondering if anyone have much difficulty using the 'fn' + arrow keys without looking down at the keyboard?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 10:51:11 »
I've just ordered a HHKB and was just wondering if anyone have much difficulty using the 'fn' + arrow keys without looking down at the keyboard?

No, and I have big hands. But I also have a big bank account, and am sheltered beyond belief, so don't take my word for it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #276 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 11:22:57 »

No, and I have big hands. But I also have a big bank account, and am sheltered beyond belief, so don't take my word for it.
Sheltered 4 lyfe. Add one more hhkb pro post to my 6k count

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 15:09:17 »

Just need a bit of practice.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Rewind

• Street Fighter
  • Drive slow, homie
« Reply #278 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 18:55:12 »
For me personally it helped a lot to put some colored caps on the navigation cluster. That way I could kind of see what I was doing from the corner of my eye. After a few weeks I removed the colored caps and I'm doing fine using the arrows blindly now.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #279 on: Mon, 03 March 2014, 22:23:54 »

It actually feels pretty natural for me, and I like how they're near the Home/End/PgDn/Pgup fn keys.
;)

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #280 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 04:09:57 »
The arrow cluster is surprisingly easy to get used to. The biggest downside is that Topre caps are insanely hard to find now.

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #281 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 14:38:42 »
It was love/hate for me.

I've been using a 104 layout at work for so long, there was realistically no way I was going to get used to the HHKB layout at home, and I knew that going in, but wanted to try the HHKB regardless. 

Gave it up after about a month - just could not get fluid with arrow cluster/home/end/page up&down shortcuts.  However, casual typing/gaming on the HHKB was awesome and I can definitely appreciate why everyone loves their HHKBs.  If it was my only KB and I was in a different line of work I don't think I'd have another KB on my desk.

Good news is I did not lose a dime on the buy/sell so I strongly encourage anyone on the fence to pickup a used one.  They are really easy to resell here.

Anyways, just my experience.
ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline Schwarz

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 15:51:36 »
Anything outside of straight typing (115wpm, that thock sound is nice) I didn't enjoy topre at all. Between programming/work related things and gaming the topre board didn't cut it compared to my 104key Filco for an everyday keyboard. The travel distance is too much and I can feel the keyboard holding me back in typing speed unlike my cherry boards.

I adjusted to the layout fine and even enjoyed it but the lack of dedicated arrows bugged me. Sometimes you just want to search through a file etc without using two hands and being on home row. I switch keyboards too much to be dedicated to a non-standard layout.

However I don't regret buying it because now I know it's not my cup of tea and never will be.

Don't get me started on the price, I know it's a niche switch in a niche market, but these boards are nowhere near worth the $250+ they're charging for them. Just my opinion, of course.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 March 2014, 15:58:55 by Schwarz »
HHKB Pro2 |  Poker II (Red) | Filco MJ2 (Brown)

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
HHKB Pro 2 Hate
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 17:10:34 »
Games aren't fun when you've reached the end. There's nothing left to explore. Also the idea of hating a keyboard is kind of foreign to me. Hating a keyboard for not being what you want when there are other options is pointless. There are preferences but I don't see reason to hate.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 March 2014, 17:13:59 by ekw808 »
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #284 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 13:23:28 »
Why do you have to be such a visually appealing board HHKB?! Damn you're sexy. I love my Leo, but man the HHKB looks the best.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #285 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 21:03:57 »
Yeah, visually the HHKB is super aesthetic. A functional, nearly symmetrical compact keyboard. Unfortunately the delete and backslash situation is a deal breaker :(

That and the fact that the FC660C is $80 cheaper makes it a no brainer (for me at least).

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #286 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:00:22 »
I actually love the HHKB layout, and find it much more natural. Backspace is a much more common key than backslash, so it makes sense to put it closer to the home row.

I mean I HATE that HHKB makes me type wrong on other keyboards now!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #287 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:02:37 »
Yeah, visually the HHKB is super aesthetic. A functional, nearly symmetrical compact keyboard. Unfortunately the delete and backslash situation is a deal breaker :(

That and the fact that the FC660C is $80 cheaper makes it a no brainer (for me at least).

Exactly my point. FC660C is my favorite keyboard. But HHKB looks great.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #288 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:06:14 »
Oddly I think the leopold looks nicer than the HHKB(especially with the two keys in the top right being perfect for keycap display imo). I might get one down the road, I am kind of trying to hold myself off from getting any actual keybaords this year, at least for awhile, and the novatouch at the very least makes me want to wait and see.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #289 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:25:37 »
Oddly I think the leopold looks nicer than the HHKB(especially with the two keys in the top right being perfect for keycap display imo). I might get one down the road, I am kind of trying to hold myself off from getting any actual keybaords this year, at least for awhile, and the novatouch at the very least makes me want to wait and see.

Yeah I love my Leo! The arrows and the 2 corner keys look awesome! Plus the steel plate is a WIN for me. I honestly have no interest in the novatouch except for if I can harvest the sliders for my leo.

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:31:01 »
After using a full-size Realforce, I've concluded that I just prefer the layout of a Realforce to that of the HHKB. I just need that function row and arrow keys :(

Now, to just get my hands on a TKL Realforce!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #291 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 22:41:39 »
After using a full-size Realforce, I've concluded that I just prefer the layout of a Realforce to that of the HHKB. I just need that function row and arrow keys :(

I have two 87Us, well built boards forsure but I hate how big they are compared to the Leo. Im used to hitting the FN key + Number Row for a F button.

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 22 March 2014, 23:04:21 »

I have two 87Us, well built boards forsure but I hate how big they are compared to the Leo. Im used to hitting the FN key + Number Row for a F button.
I had an FC660M, but I realized I prefer the TKL layout. Only the jump from TKL to full-size is too big for me; I don't like stretching my arms out while gaming :o

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #293 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 00:55:27 »
I hate Dustin for making me lust after a Leo, thus disliking my HHKB for not having two keys to display my upcoming Toxic Bros :)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #294 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 01:02:28 »
I hate Dustin for making me lust after a Leo, thus disliking my HHKB for not having two keys to display my upcoming Toxic Bros :)
I always look at Dustin's Leo and say "Wow that's such a good lucking board" I then look at the stock version and then wish it had the white and grey realforce keys :P

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #295 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 10:02:45 »
I actually love the HHKB layout, and find it much more natural. Backspace is a much more common key than backslash, so it makes sense to put it closer to the home row.

Hey, shouldn't your "cherry peasant" title be changed by now?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #296 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:49:30 »

Logically, I agree with you. However, my hands start screaming at me whenever I use a HHKB. I hit backspace with my right ring finger, and on the HHKB I have to switch over to my right pinky. And since I hit BS way, way more than I hit backslash, I have to use my pinky much more than I should. Which makes the outside of my right hand start throbbing after about 20 minutes of heavy typing.

Offline shem

« Reply #297 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:57:47 »
I've used HHKB2 for something like 2-3 years every work day as my only office keyboard, with Linux, mostly for programming. I still struggle with the arrow key situation. I've configured every possible application to recognise either vi or emacs style scrolling keys but it's still a drag. At home I have a space saver IBM model M and it feels so much more natural for moving around in a file or browser. I guess I'm just haptically challenged. I love the typing feel of HHKB and its small footprint. I'm now seriously considering a FC660C for work.

My ideal keyboard, and I'm not talking about ćsthetics, would be FC660C with IBM model F keyswitches.
HHKB2 pro, IBM Ultranav(travel & normal), AT102W, VT220, IBM model M Space Saver, IBM model F AT, Matias Mini Tactile Pro, JD45

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #298 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 12:58:33 »

Logically, I agree with you. However, my hands start screaming at me whenever I use a HHKB. I hit backspace with my right ring finger, and on the HHKB I have to switch over to my right pinky. And since I hit BS way, way more than I hit backslash, I have to use my pinky much more than I should. Which makes the outside of my right hand start throbbing after about 20 minutes of heavy typing.

I still use my right ring finger to press backspace on the HHKB.

I love the layout but as soon as I use another computer I get a lot of \\\\\\\\\\ until a few seconds later when I realize that backspace moved.

Offline lowmagnet

« Reply #299 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 13:01:35 »
of course,initially hhkb for unix users no arrow keys :))
The material cases is PS no ABS :-X

Set your terminal into vim mode. Never look back.