Author Topic: Modding a set of Beast switch tools  (Read 3494 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Modding a set of Beast switch tools
« on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 20:18:30 »
Disclaimer: I am pretty sure I just happened to get a set of tools which were not QC'ed very well.  I don't think these issues are common with these tools, but I thought my experience may help others, so here it is...

Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries last night and I was too focused on getting my switches lubed and stickered, so I didn't actually get pictures of the problem.  I will describe them as best I can and hopefully this will help others if they have similar issues.

There were two problems with the switch tools that I got (second hand). 

1) The last 1/16th of an inch on the legs of were ground too thin and were almost just a burr.  This resulted in the burr bending and making a bit of a rounded end to the legs.  Because of this, the force was not being applied at the bottom of the tool, but about 1/16th of an inch up the housing which was causing lots of problems with slippage and too much force was needed to open the switch.

2) The bevel or angle on the two legs was not the same on each leg.  When force was applied to open a switch it would cause the tool to torque in one direction making it hard to handle.  In combination with the first issue, the tool was almost unusable. 

Solution:
1) I simply filed the legs shorter by about a 1/16th of an inch so there was only solid metal remain.
2) I filed the bevel/angle so the two legs matched on each tool.

The fix was very simple and the results were night and day.  It literally doubled the speed to open the switches.  I didn't have to be nearly as gentle, I could just stick them in and go and they never once slipped out again.

Here are a couple pictures to show the results of my filing...

52091-0

52093-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2014, 20:22:24 by swill »

Offline stancato9

Re: Modding a set of Beast switch tools
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 01:03:06 »
I got a bad pair too, even though The_Beast "tested every pair before sending them out." I'm glad someone else had a similar problem.

There was an angle cut on the flat side of the tool, which made it slip out before enough pressure was applied to open the switch.

I will try this too when I get my hands on a file. Thanks a lot!
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 08:36:05 »

I got a bad pair too, even though The_Beast "tested every pair before sending them out." I'm glad someone else had a similar problem.

There was an angle cut on the flat side of the tool, which made it slip out before enough pressure was applied to open the switch.

I will try this too when I get my hands on a file. Thanks a lot!

Can you post some pictures?  That seems like a bigger issue than mine.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 08:47:19 »

I have that issue with the first set of tools I got. Seems like one of the legs had too much ground off of it. Solution? Buy some epoxy, apply to the tool where I think there's not enough material, test to see if it works better, file epoxy down until the tools work. Like bondo on a car.

Edit: FWIW, I have two sets of these tools. The initial set from R1 have an issue. The set from the last run, I think it was R2, work fine.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 January 2014, 08:51:38 by CPTBadAss »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 08:51:16 »
Yeah I had the same problem but I just thought it got bent in postage, now I just use the good one with a dental pick and it's just as quick.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 11:56:43 »

Yeah I had the same problem but I just thought it got bent in postage, now I just use the good one with a dental pick and it's just as quick.

Are the problems you described the same as the ones that I had?  Or was there an angle on the wrong side?

If people can post problem tools it would probably help.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 12:14:48 »
Yeah, **** The_Beast and his switch tools. **** them both so hard.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 13:26:54 »
I had the exact same problems as swill and did the exact same thing to solve the problem, file, file, file. I didn't post then as I thought mine was a bad pair.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:07:00 »

Yeah, **** The_Beast and his switch tools. **** them both so hard.

Once fixed, they are working GREAT.  :)