Author Topic: KBT Race 2  (Read 26264 times)

Offline f4d3

KBT Race 2
« on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 01:17:08 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: KBT Race 2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 01:19:55 »
i'm surprised they did another one. i thought most people weren't that excited about them when they finally came out. i was in the GH group buy that imav ran and i think most people stopped caring before they even got shipped to him after the initial reviews came out :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline f4d3

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 01:21:06 »
I'm just interested because I can't seem to find a white noppoo choc mini. :(

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 01:52:30 »
Yea, I have an old Race. It was my first mech board. It was riddled with LED issues that others have also had (which I'm sure they fixed with V2) but even worse than that, finding replacement keys for the whole board is impossible. The layout is pretty nice for its footprint but at the end of the day, I kind of hate it... :(
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 05:14:38 »
You could always get a white Keycool 84. It's pretty much exactly the same as a Race 2.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline peonpeon

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 09:15:28 »
Their Facebook page says it'll be available in early March overseas. 
I've been eyeing this keyboard for awhile hoping there would be some major improvements.  Anybody what those improvements are?

Looks like this says PCB.  I thought they would have at least made it plate mounted akin to the poker -> poker II.

Offline xbfish

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 07:27:22 »
Seems like the pre-order is over and they do have stocks.

KBT RACE 2 (Black)

http://rabbitwebfactory.com/pages/kbt_race_2

KBT RACE 2 (White)

http://rabbitwebfactory.com/pages/kbt_race_2_limited_edition

Has anyone ordered from them?

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 14:51:16 »
Rabbitwebfactory is a legit supplier, they sold many of the first Race keyboards.

Here they have a manual and brochure of the Race 2: http://rabbitwebfactory.com/pages/kbt_race_2

It seems the major improvements are:
Better key coating (the first white Race LE had color that peeled off the case, not sure if this is adressed as well)
Programmable FN layer
Redesigned space stabilizer
Changed the lettering of some keys

There is no mention of LED improvements. However, I have a Race One which I have used for more then a year now, and it has no LED problems, so I believe it was just a certain Race One batch that suffered those issues.

I definitely recommend the Race keyboard. I find it to be the perfect keyboard for me, and it is certainly NOT like a keycool or any other keyboard for that matter. The custom key layout (top row is taller then R4 among other things) prevents you from replacing the keys, but I think the design is great and I personally love the extra height on the top row. It makes those keys more accessible.

Pictures of my custom Race to highlight how awesome this keyboard can be (with some mods)

Mods:
Race Limited Edition white board with keycaps from the normal black Race
Custom aluminum case (bought here in groupbuy)
Custom walnut wristrest (made by The_Beast)
Red alu keycap (from Feng)

I'll probably buy a Race 2 White Edition to replace the board in mine.

Offline remdell

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 15:40:49 »
Rabbitwebfactory is a legit supplier, they sold many of the first Race keyboards.

Here they have a manual and brochure of the Race 2: http://rabbitwebfactory.com/pages/kbt_race_2

Better key coating (the first white Race LE had color that peeled off the case, not sure if this is adressed as well)
Programmable FN layer

There is no mention of LED improvements. However, I have a Race One which I have used for more then a year now, and it has no LED problems, so I believe it was just a certain Race One batch that suffered those issues.

I definitely recommend the Race keyboard. I find it to be the perfect keyboard for me, and it is certainly NOT like a keycool or any other keyboard for that matter. The custom key layout (top row is taller then R4 among other things) prevents you from replacing the keys, but I think the design is great and I personally love the extra height on the top row. It makes those keys more accessible.

Pictures of my custom Race to highlight how awesome this keyboard can be (with some mods)

Show Image
Show Image

Mods:

Wow, your Race set-up looks great.  I had no idea there was an aluminum case group buy for the Race.  If I had known, I would have probably gotten the Race before my Pure.
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline Q-ship

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 17:27:04 »
I'm surprised that there is no love for the Race. I have 11 mechanical keyboards, and have owned around 6 more (make that about 20 more if you include buckling spring IBM units), and the Race is by far and away my favorite.

I have never had any problems with mine aside from the fact that I bought a Brown switch model, and prefer Blues (all that was available at the time). I had given up on them ever producing another one since everyone else liked the Poker so well (why is beyond my understanding), but I can't wait to be able to buy a blue switch unit.

Anyone have a link to a U.S. seller?

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 17:38:33 »
I have a Race 2 on order from rabbit web, the shipping wasn't too bad to the UK (I think $30) so I assume it won't be much different to get to the US.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 17:51:07 »
wtf were they thinking when they used 6 1.25x keys for arrows, shift, and end

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 18:18:25 »

Design reasons?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 18:24:41 »
Ohhhhh I'm actually quite interested, damn now I need to find an aluminum custom case for it.

>____>

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 18:25:44 »

Design reasons?

This is going to be a nightmare to source keycaps......

Offline Maya_Natsume

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 20:02:08 »

Programmable FN layer

Show Image
Show Image

Mods:

Wow, your Race set-up looks great.  I had no idea there was an aluminum case group buy for the Race.  If I had known, I would have probably gotten the Race before my Pure.

I totally love your keyboard! I have a RACE myself, with some keycaps replaced. It's nowhere near yours.

Just out of curiosity, will the alu case fit on RACE 2? It seems like RACE 2 is wider now.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:27:53 »
75% boards tend to be a bit wonky. I personally don't prefer them because I'm accustom to accessing everything on the fn layer, and the smaller the better IMO.
;)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:33:45 »
75% boards tend to be a bit wonky. I personally don't prefer them because I'm accustom to accessing everything on the fn layer, and the smaller the better IMO.
Used to be a 75% junkie

Now I realize that fully programmable 60% like GH60 is best

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:39:42 »
Used to be a 75% junkie

I want a fully programmable HHKB layout so bad, hopefully Hasu's controller is released soon.
;)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:40:11 »
Used to be a 75% junkie

I want a fully programmable HHKB layout so bad, hopefully Hasu's controller is released soon.

Can't you get the happy layout in the GH60?

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:48:29 »
Used to be a 75% junkie

Can't you get the happy layout in the GH60?

Can't have Topre on a GH60, and I can't afford to buy the materials I'd need for a HHKB GH60 even if I was willing to go Cherry :P
;)

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 21:52:25 »

Programmable FN layer

Show Image
Show Image

Mods:

Can you please share some information for that lovely alu case? Like where to buy and the price?
Thanks, BTW, your Race setup is the best one I've ever seen.  :thumb:
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 06:28:15 »
I totally love your keyboard! I have a RACE myself, with some keycaps replaced. It's nowhere near yours.
Just out of curiosity, will the alu case fit on RACE 2? It seems like RACE 2 is wider now.

Thanks!
The Race 2 is identical in size and layout from what I can tell in the pictures. The only thing that might be incompatible is if the USB port might not align to the hole in the case.

Can you please share some information for that lovely alu case? Like where to buy and the price?
Thanks, BTW, your Race setup is the best one I've ever seen.  :thumb:

A groupbuy here about a year two years ago...
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35213.0
Maybe some new groupbuy will pop up now that Race 2 is released.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 March 2014, 06:32:05 by Cindori »

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 11:38:39 »

Design reasons?

This is going to be a nightmare to source keycaps......

Meh, the 1.25x are hardly difficult to acquire and I think the arrow cluster is actually pretty good like that as its much less cramped, much more problematic are the two R5 1.5x keys given that I don't know of another board that uses R5, let alone 1.5x keys on the top row. If I change out the keycaps it'll probably be with DSA or SA so that negates that problem and then any keys that I can't make up for I'd cover with blanks. Blank DSA is about as rare as sand so I don't foresee problems tbh.

Offline Maya_Natsume

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 19:45:39 »
I have pre-ordered mine from Rabbit Web Factory and it's finally here!  :thumb:

Photos below shows my RACE 1 and KBT RACE 2:

My RACE 1 was blue switches, so I have decided to go onto red switches for RACE II.

So far, the feeling is great! I haven't got the time to read the user manual yet.

The keyboard is fully programmable, but I wish they would bundle software for programming the keyboard.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 19:50:31 »
I have pre-ordered mine from Rabbit Web Factory and it's finally here!  :thumb:

Photos below shows my RACE 1 and KBT RACE 2:

Show Image

Show Image

My RACE 1 was blue switches, so I have decided to go onto red switches for RACE II.

So far, the feeling is great! I haven't got the time to read the user manual yet.

The keyboard is fully programmable, but I wish they would bundle software for programming the keyboard.

Awesome! I have an L.E. on the way, and can't wait to put it in my aluminum case.

Asked this in my standalone thread as well, but does anyone know where I can get a plate, whether have someone make one or have someone aide me in creating one?
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Maya_Natsume

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 19:54:46 »
Awesome! I have an L.E. on the way, and can't wait to put it in my aluminum case.

Asked this in my standalone thread as well, but does anyone know where I can get a plate, whether have someone make one or have someone aide me in creating one?

There is an alu casing for RACE 2 ? =O

Where did you get it from!!!

Sharing is caring  :D

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 19:57:59 »
I actually got it from somebody who was selling theirs from the group buy that's listed further up in this thread. I knew I wasn't going to have another chance to get one, so I snagged it immediately.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline sdiearly

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 01:43:49 »
My compared photos between Race I and Race II
http://imgur.com/a/8LbF1

Gallery for Race SE, with signatures by kbtalking host: 奕之華
http://imgur.com/a/4w8hJ
My favorite 60%:  TEX-Beetle
                 80%:  KBtalKing Race
                100%: Cherry G80-3494, Zowie Celeritas

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:16:35 »
I love my Race. I've got hyperfuse on it right now. Probably getting an aluminum case from Sprits buy. But I'm, spending so ****ing much on keyboards. HAha.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:29:42 »
So, something I've noticed is that the caps are a bit tighter than the first revision. Anybody else noticing this? Or am I the only one? lol

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:35:23 »
So, something I've noticed is that the caps are a bit tighter than the first revision. Anybody else noticing this? Or am I the only one? lol

Meaning that they are closer together, or that they are harder to pull off the board?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 09:39:04 »

Meaning that they are closer together, or that they are harder to pull off the board?

Just a little harder to pull off of the board. On my Race 1, I could pull the caps off without a puller. On this revision, it takes a little bit of force and a keypuller to get them off.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 10:29:41 »

Just a little harder to pull off of the board. On my Race 1, I could pull the caps off without a puller. On this revision, it takes a little bit of force and a keypuller to get them off.

I'd say they're harder to get off than the caps on my QFR but I don't have the original RACE to compare to.

Offline gcb

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 00:01:12 »
bump, this is the only thread with Race vs Race ii... so the only difference is really better quality on board/keycaps. wider. more programming?

Thanks for sharing! but what is what on the 3 DEL key pic?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 00:03:40 »
bump, this is the only thread with Race vs Race ii... so the only difference is really better quality on board/keycaps. wider. more programming?

He's showing the difference in quality. First one is from a v1 race set, 2nd is from the Race LE and third is from a Race 2 LE. The third has the UV coating and is shinier than the other two.

Offline gcb

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 00:51:37 »

He's showing the difference in quality. First one is from a v1 race set, 2nd is from the Race LE and third is from a Race 2 LE. The third has the UV coating and is shinier than the other two.

ah thanks. didn't know what was what exactly.

for some reason i like the middle one best. both the colour and the fact that it has the underline on the alternate labels... might seem polluted when you look at keys individually, but the cognitive freak i am likes it.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:12:28 »

ah thanks. didn't know what was what exactly.

for some reason i like the middle one best. both the colour and the fact that it has the underline on the alternate labels... might seem polluted when you look at keys individually, but the cognitive freak i am likes it.

No, I agree, that's something I wish they would have kept on the Race 2. I do however like that the finish on the new keys feels smooth rather than chalky.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:31:33 »
Does anyone know if the programmable function allows "SHIFT+A, "CTRL+A", "ALT+A" to program or is it just single keys?

Thanks!

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:33:13 »
Does anyone know if the programmable function allows "SHIFT+A, "CTRL+A", "ALT+A" to program or is it just single keys?

Thanks!

You can program macros or single keys. There are even buttons to add delays to the macros if you wish.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:36:36 »
@exitfire

Thanks for the rapid response.

As for elaboration. When you mention "macros", do you mean multiple functions in the output or input section?

In my case, I want both:

SHIFT+A = Output "1, 2, 3"

Meaning that A will only act as the macro when shift is held down, even with toggle is on.

Is this possible?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:43:34 »
@exitfire

Thanks for the rapid response.

As for elaboration. When you mention "macros", do you mean multiple functions in the output or input section?

In my case, I want both:

SHIFT+A = Output "1, 2, 3"

Meaning that A will only act as the macro when shift is held down, even with toggle is on.

Is this possible?
Alright, now I understand. I don't believe the key combo would be able to be mapped that way, as the programming is for a single key. So, that combination would probably not work the way you are intending.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:45:43 by exitfire401 »

Offline Naweo

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:55:31 »
I am sitting with a keycool 84, currently liking the f1-f12 row design better than the KBT race 2. However, since it uses virtual keyboard diodes for better repetition:

asdfffffffffffffffffffffffff (Keycool 84)
asdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf (KBT race 2)

- when 4 keys are pressed down, as well as programmable keys, I have considered upgrading.

Since I neither know whether keycool 84 II has either of these improvements, I remain indecisive.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:25:19 »
Please, the Race 2 cames with plate or the switches are placed streight into the PCB?
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:26:15 »
Please, the Race 2 cames with plate or the switches are placed streight into the PCB?

It's PCB mount. I had a plate made for mine.

Offline captain

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:27:01 »
I'm not surprised that the Race didn't get the love, but it's my all-time favorite keyboard, overall.  Sure, Filco has higher quality build, and other layouts are easier to keycap mod, but for a straight out of the box keyboard to glue over the lame MacBook chicklets, this thing is damn near perfect!  It has real F-keys, and real arrow keys in approximately the right place.  It also has *media keys* which come in very handy when the screen is locked and the music needs to stop NOW!  ;-)  Oh, and the green backlight over MXblue switches is fantastic in the dark.  I have not had any LED problems, but I did have a switch act up on me.  I hammered on it for a while, and it came back to life though.  I just wish I could get a couple more of these as backups.  The Race II looks like it's bigger, and won't glue to the MacBook properly.
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.