Author Topic: Mozilla CEO resigns over anti-same-sex-marriage controversy  (Read 12509 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: Mozilla CEO resigns over anti-same-sex-marriage controversy
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:59:03 »
So confused

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:59:29 »
taps? or did you mean TRAPS?!
whoa whoa whoa, young man!

(Attachment Link)

Talk about perspective. ^^
Logitech G710+

Offline Malphas

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:16:09 »
can't say i didn't see that coming...
you know what's better than apologizing for being a bigot?

also, think about what mozilla is actually saying. they're having a moral crisis about whether its more important to protect the "free" "speech" of a bigot than to fire an ******* who donated money to set back gay rights BY LAW and then not be called out for promoting the dude to a highly prominent, very public position in an open source nonprofit.

last i checked an OSS development house was not legally capable of infringing upon individuals' right to free speech. basically it looks like their board didn't give a **** that this guy was a turd until their employees and users complained. what does that tell you about the rest of mozilla's board?

I don't agree. Whether you keep your job or not should depend solely on your proficiency and professionalism at it. Everything outside of that is irrelevant. We all know that doesn't happen in the real world, but I think it should. There are tons of things a customer base could be displeased about, like a CEO's sexual habits, recreational drug use, political views, blah blah blah. Are organisations supposed to fire everyone unless there's a broad mainstream consensus in their userbase that their personal beliefs and lifestyle are acceptable?

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:19:02 »

also, think about what mozilla is actually saying. they're having a moral crisis about whether its more important to protect the "free" "speech" of a bigot than to fire an ******* who donated money to set back gay rights BY LAW and then not be called out for promoting the dude to a highly prominent, very public position in an open source nonprofit.

last i checked an OSS development house was not legally capable of infringing upon individuals' right to free speech. basically it looks like their board didn't give a **** that this guy was a turd until their employees and users complained. what does that tell you about the rest of mozilla's board?

I don't agree. Whether you keep your job or not should depend solely on your proficiency and professionalism at it. Everything outside of that is irrelevant. We all know that doesn't happen in the real world, but I think it should. There are tons of things a customer base could be displeased about, like a CEO's sexual habits, recreational drug use, political views, blah blah blah. Are organisations supposed to fire everyone unless there's a broad mainstream consensus in their userbase that their personal beliefs and lifestyle are acceptable?

unfortunately CEO now is viewed as a figurehead and not really just for your proficiencies and professionalism.
They didn't make a big fuss when he was nominated to be CTO 2 years ago, but once you're considered the leader of the corporation, its not just your technical abilities that get scrutinized, but your family/personal life and beliefs too.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:21:12 »
Yes, that's the reality of the situation of course. I just think it's pathetic. "I refuse to use this product because your CEO has opinions which differ from mine"

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:26:10 »

unfortunately CEO now is viewed as a figurehead and not really just for your proficiencies and professionalism.
They didn't make a big fuss when he was nominated to be CTO 2 years ago, but once you're considered the leader of the corporation, its not just your technical abilities that get scrutinized, but your family/personal life and beliefs too.

Actually, this is the second time this has been brought up. This is old news that resurfaced because he became CEO. He already apologized for "the pain he caused". His employees decided to bring it to light since him being named CEO meant the attention was on him
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:33:32 »

Actually, this is the second time this has been brought up. This is old news that resurfaced because he became CEO. He already apologized for "the pain he caused". His employees decided to bring it to light since him being named CEO meant the attention was on him

wasn't really his employees as much as it was outside pressure that brought it up again and made a scene.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:39:09 »
Really? First thing i saw was some of the mozilla employees tweeting about it.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:11:36 »
besides that it's not a marriage.

no i'm pretty sure gays want marriage, they don't want to be label'd as "my significant other" or "my partner" cuz you know what? the instant one of you is in the hospital, you don't control **** if you've been together for 20 years, the biggoted mom/dad does cuz your marriage isn't recognized as legal.

that's how i define a marriage, if you have the legal right to pull the plug on your married other person, that **** is important, otherwise you let inbred hick mothers/fathers who don't recognize you as being a human being suddenly come into your life and **** up your death bed.

if i'm in a coma i'd want my wife to pull the plug if she determines it, and only she can, cuz ****, i've been with her for nearly 20 years, she knows me! i'm sure a gay couple/married or wants to get married thinks the same.

i mean in the end, marriage leads to death anyway.

Offline iri

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 02:47:18 »
no i'm pretty sure gays want marriage, they don't want to be label'd as "my significant other" or "my partner"
but how can they get to the agreement on who is a husband and who is a wife?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:09:38 »
He actually didn't quit over the Prop 8 thing, he quit when it came out that he backed several extreme right wing candidates with even more money than he spent on Prop 8. Some of which were racist and anti-Semitic. They needed him out before that went public too.

As for the uproar...
He did not voice his opinion, saying you dislike gay marriage is an opinion. You can dislike something, you have that right. Don't like it, no big deal.  However, what many fail to acknowledge was  that Prop 8 was not a vote against gay marriage, it was to take away gay peoples rights to civil unions.  This was why the courts killed it, it took away someones rights.  This is oppression, not opinion and he publicly spent money doing so.

Change it from gays to any interracial marriage and see how you feel about it.

As for Mozilla, the company is open source and I beleive non-profit that does a lot of charity work. Having a CEO known for oppressing people, doesn't quite fit the corporate image.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:23:20 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:20:24 »
no i'm pretty sure gays want marriage, they don't want to be label'd as "my significant other" or "my partner"
but how can they get to the agreement on who is a husband and who is a wife?
Not all gay couples (male or female) work on that dynamic. There isn't always a "top" or "bottom", some people are both, and some couples are both tops or both bottoms. In straight relationships there are dominant women and submissive men, the difference is you don't think about it and many hide this side of the relationship in the eyes of the public.

Demik has it right,
They care more about the rights they receive as a couple than they do the status. Married couples can make life and death decisions for each other, have rights to hospital visits, qualify for adoption easier, and tax breaks. There is a lot legally that you gain as a married couple.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iri

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:22:52 »
wow, that's certainly an eye opener.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tbc

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 04:09:48 »
So because he's a wealthy white male he's not allowed an opinion? Or is it because he dsnt agree with same sex marriage that he's not allowed an opinion?
I personally feel anyone who belives in any god is a total moron, and would (if I had the money) lobby against organised religion. But that dsnt make me more or less of a person than someone who is religios. The about wanting equality is that it makes everyone equal, even people with opinions you don't like...

i'm not following.

the primary judgement against him wasn't for hating gay marriage.  people were judging him for TAKING ACTION against gay marriage.

free speech was respected.  free action was violated; although i've never heard of 'free action' before.

on the topic of antigay marriage, it's just an eye for an eye.  he took away gay marriage, people took away his promotion.

if anything, he just won less, which is still a victory at the end of the day.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 05:19:31 »
So because he's a wealthy white male he's not allowed an opinion? Or is it because he dsnt agree with same sex marriage that he's not allowed an opinion?
I personally feel anyone who belives in any god is a total moron, and would (if I had the money) lobby against organised religion. But that dsnt make me more or less of a person than someone who is religios. The about wanting equality is that it makes everyone equal, even people with opinions you don't like...

i'm not following.

the primary judgement against him wasn't for hating gay marriage.  people were judging him for TAKING ACTION against gay marriage.

free speech was respected.  free action was violated; although i've never heard of 'free action' before.

on the topic of antigay marriage, it's just an eye for an eye.  he took away gay marriage, people took away his promotion.

as he wipes the tears from his eyes with $100 bills (small faces, old money)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 08:48:26 »

i'm not following.

He took away gay marriage? lulz

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 08:51:18 »

i'm not following.

He took away gay marriage? lulz

keep up the good fight m'sir *fedora intensifies*
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 08:53:50 »
Oh I'm done too lol, it was just random and made me chuckle openly

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 08:57:30 »
mmmkay  :|
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 10:06:52 »

I think the Voltaire's quote comes handy here:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

There is a basic contradiction when those that are defending freedom, are acting against it, when they prosecute this guy, because they do not agree with his ideas.

To me free speech should not mean freedom from consequences -- but those consequences should not come from the state. If you decide to wear Nazi regalia and march down Main Street, I support your right to do so. But people are going to shun you, and that's their right as well. What's worrisome about the Mozilla CEO being unceremoniously canned is that it is very organized. The people who agitate for tolerance are really really intolerant. Can you support and love gay people without supporting gay marriage? According to the gay gestapo, no, you can't. You either support everything they tell you to support or your life (as it intersects with their power) is over.

Bill Maher, a disgusting excuse for a human being, who calls women who have differing opinions 'c*nts' had this to say: ""I think there is a gay mafia," Maher said. "I think if you cross them, you do get whacked. I really do."

Gestapo, mafia, call it what you will. There's a small group of people who can end your professional life if they decide to do so. Is this legal? Yeah, I think it is. It's also disgusting, and when they did it in Hollywood to communists, it was also wrong -- but at least there was a public outcry over it. For me, the worst injustice foisted on us by this gestapo is their restriction of words. From GLAAD, this tidbit:

Offensive: "homosexual" (n. or adj.)
Preferred: "gay" (adj.); "gay man" or "lesbian" (n.); "gay person/people"
Please use "gay" or "lesbian" to describe people attracted to members of the same sex. Because of the clinical history of the word "homosexual," it is aggressively used by anti-gay extremists to suggest that gay people are somehow diseased or psychologically/emotionally disordered – notions discredited by the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association in the 1970s. Please avoid using "homosexual" except in direct quotes. Please also avoid using "homosexual" as a style variation simply to avoid repeated use of the word "gay." The Associ­ated Press, The New York Times and The Washington Post restrict use of the term "homosexual" (see AP, New York Times & Washington Post Style).

Offensive: "homosexual relations/relationship," "homosexual couple," "homosexual sex," etc.
Preferred: "relationship" (or "sexual relationship"), "couple" (or, if necessary, "gay couple"), "sex," etc.
Identifying a same-sex couple as "a homosexual couple," characterizing their relationship as "a homosexual relationship," or identifying their intimacy as "homosexual sex" is extremely offensive and should be avoided. These constructions are frequently used by anti-gay extremists to denigrate gay people, couples and relationships.

That's right -- using the term 'homosexual' is now considered to be offensive. I don't try not to go out of my way to be offensive to others, but I don't actually publish style books to the rest of the population on how to not offend me. If you're that sensitive, stay home, stay out of the public square until your skin thickens. People who are constantly on the lookout for reasons to be offended are offensive to me.

Finally, I don't think this attitude of beheading people professionally represents all gay people -- but gay people should speak up and remove these people from power. Except, hey, it might be nice having the whole world walking on eggshells when they interact with you. One wrong move and your career is over.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 10:35:47 »
To me free speech should not mean freedom from consequences -- but those consequences should not come from the state. If you decide to wear Nazi regalia and march down Main Street, I support your right to do so. But people are going to shun you, and that's their right as well. What's worrisome about the Mozilla CEO being unceremoniously canned is that it is very organized. The people who agitate for tolerance are really really intolerant. Can you support and love gay people without supporting gay marriage? According to the gay gestapo, no, you can't. You either support everything they tell you to support or your life (as it intersects with their power) is over.

Bill Maher, a disgusting excuse for a human being, who calls women who have differing opinions 'c*nts' had this to say: ""I think there is a gay mafia," Maher said. "I think if you cross them, you do get whacked. I really do."

Gestapo, mafia, call it what you will. There's a small group of people who can end your professional life if they decide to do so. Is this legal? Yeah, I think it is. It's also disgusting, and when they did it in Hollywood to communists, it was also wrong -- but at least there was a public outcry over it. For me, the worst injustice foisted on us by this gestapo is their restriction of words. From GLAAD, this tidbit:

Please use "gay" or "lesbian" to describe people attracted to members of the same sex. Because of the clinical history of the word "homosexual," it is aggressively used by anti-gay extremists to suggest that gay people are somehow diseased or psychologically/emotionally disordered – notions discredited by the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association in the 1970s. Please avoid using "homosexual" except in direct quotes. Please also avoid using "homosexual" as a style variation simply to avoid repeated use of the word "gay." The Associ­ated Press, The New York Times and The Washington Post restrict use of the term "homosexual" (see AP, New York Times & Washington Post Style).

Offensive: "homosexual relations/relationship," "homosexual couple," "homosexual sex," etc.
Preferred: "relationship" (or "sexual relationship"), "couple" (or, if necessary, "gay couple"), "sex," etc.
Identifying a same-sex couple as "a homosexual couple," characterizing their relationship as "a homosexual relationship," or identifying their intimacy as "homosexual sex" is extremely offensive and should be avoided. These constructions are frequently used by anti-gay extremists to denigrate gay people, couples and relationships.

That's right -- using the term 'homosexual' is now considered to be offensive. I don't try not to go out of my way to be offensive to others, but I don't actually publish style books to the rest of the population on how to not offend me. If you're that sensitive, stay home, stay out of the public square until your skin thickens. People who are constantly on the lookout for reasons to be offended are offensive to me.

Finally, I don't think this attitude of beheading people professionally represents all gay people -- but gay people should speak up and remove these people from power. Except, hey, it might be nice having the whole world walking on eggshells when they interact with you. One wrong move and your career is over.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 10:44:56 »

*slow clapping*
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 10:56:09 »
More

I think the Voltaire's quote comes handy here:

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

There is a basic contradiction when those that are defending freedom, are acting against it, when they prosecute this guy, because they do not agree with his ideas.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Show Image

*slow clapping*

^this. Too awestruck to slow clap.

Epic post is epic. Pay special attention to any group able to infiltrate the necessary systems, subvert the dominant paradigms, and influence/control the language, and hence, the exchange of information... and eventually, the information itself. If you can control what enough people think (which is the motivation for their actions), you can rule the world; or at least significantly modify it. And that's what humans are all about: shaping our world into what we want it to be, due to what we find lacking or suboptimal.
Logitech G710+

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 11:05:50 »
I hope this doesn't revert to twenty years ago and all gays become scapegoats again; nobody can conclude that the majority are vindictive and would punish others for disagreeing with their sexuality. Let's just hope that people can't get fired or disciplined because they dislike gay marriage just as much as someone else supports it. There is nothing wrong with hating gay marriage- the only illegal thing is to carry out violence or otherwise actions outside of the law.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Lanx

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 11:39:48 »
I hope this doesn't revert to twenty years ago and all gays become scapegoats again; nobody can conclude that the majority are vindictive and would punish others for disagreeing with their sexuality. Let's just hope that people can't get fired or disciplined because they dislike gay marriage just as much as someone else supports it. There is nothing wrong with hating gay marriage- the only illegal thing is to carry out violence or otherwise actions outside of the law.
except it is wrong to hate on gay marriage, unless you also hate on all marriage in general, otherwise it's pure discrimination towards the gays, basically saying, **** you, you're not allowed to get married, have a union, get tax benefits, get all the pros/cons of being "regular" married afforded to someone by law and general society.

i also think it's stupid the gays have to user weird terms, like "my partner", when a gay says this and i don't know they're gay, i think they're talking business, like a business partner. can't they just say significant other? or boyfriend/girlfriend? like it or not, there is always one or ther other in a gay relationship, they're just too gay to admit it.

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:15:19 »
except it is wrong to hate on gay marriage, unless you also hate on all marriage in general, otherwise it's pure discrimination towards the gays, basically saying, **** you, you're not allowed to get married, have a union, get tax benefits, get all the pros/cons of being "regular" married afforded to someone by law and general society.

i also think it's stupid the gays have to user weird terms, like "my partner", when a gay says this and i don't know they're gay, i think they're talking business, like a business partner. can't they just say significant other? or boyfriend/girlfriend? like it or not, there is always one or ther other in a gay relationship, they're just too gay to admit it.

"...too gay to admit it." LOL. I would have thought it worked the other way: not gay enough to admit it. I would have thought that the "more gay" people would also be more openly gay, and less afraid or self-censoring, resulting in a higher degree of readiness to fully disclose, in no uncertain terms, that they are indeed gay and have a gay partner. From what i've seen, the gayest gays are openly so, courageously braving the potential backlash of being openly gay in a world full of people who might be upset by that.

Some people are dominated by their fears, or feel ashamed for whatever reason (i'm sure you could nail down some shame-causing factors in this case, though i'm not saying anyone should be ashamed to be gay). Those people are less likely to proudly reveal their differences from the expectations of advocates of the status quo, especially when they have learned to expect a potentially violent, or at least volatile or detrimental, reaction to their difference. It's not just for gays. Even straights have to deal with that, on many levels, in many realms. One of the most obvious of those situations would be conflicting and incompatible religious or spiritual views.

Sometimes, people are determined to think any certain way or thing, and pressure from a community, or even legislation, will not change that person's mind.

Not all systems require a majority to be subverted. Not all modifications require a majority to be implemented.

Not all minds use fair or appropriate judgment criteria. Not all people have encountered the opportunities and/or motivations to develop more sensible interpretations of their own subjective experience of reality. Some people even believe themselves to be the only existing being, and that everyone else is merely an extension of that.

People will continue to be people, and will do what people do; much of which will be both praised and decried; sometimes simultaneously. Bad things will happen, good things will happen, and a whole spectrum of mundane grayness, in between.

I doubt anyone will ever prefer to be commanded to do something other or differently than, or prevented from, what or how they want.
Logitech G710+

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:20:33 »
I dunno who told you guys that hate is an "opinion", but he lied to you.  Hate is hate.  It is the absence of human kindness.  It is not an opinion.  If you have hate in your heart, you should go join a biker gang, or a skinhead gang, the Nazi Party, or that fundamentalist church in Kansas that hates gays.  But you should not be a CEO of a corporation that employees other people.  Why?  Because you will discriminate based on sexual orientation, that's why.  If you want to sit at home and hate gays, that's fine.  Do that.  If you want to give money to gay-hating organizations, that's legal.  The constitution protects your "political" speech, as defined by the Supreme Court.  However, you do not have a "right" to be a hateful CEO.  If you are a hate-filled CEO, other people have a right to react negatively to you.  They don't have to work for you, they don't have to use your products, and they don't have to invest in your company.  You are free to pull your entire organization down around your little hate filled shoulders.  However Eich decided to take the coward's way out and slink off like the hate-filled rat that he is.  Nobody forced him out.  He is entitled to his hateful ideas.  Too bad he has no courage to stand up for his hate, like some of you internet warriors do. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:23:14 »

Depends. Some people have argued the case that marriage is intended (even if it isn't the case now) as a societal framework for raising children, and thus the reason for tax benefits, legal rights, etc., and this is why marriage is defined as between men and women. Obviously that's increasingly less common, and there's plenty ways heterosexual couples don't qualify under that definition either, but the same people who are anti-gay marriage often have strong views on the "abuse" of marriage in general as well and the majority of people that get married do still have kids as the next step.

It's not a view I sign up to, but I think it's a legitimate argument worthy of some degree of respect rather than just shouting "omg homophobe!" at everyone who doesn't sign up for gay marriage.

Personally I think the entire concept of marriage needs to be rewritten from the ground up as a broader framework that supports different kinds of legal unions, with clear separation from the legal side and religious/societal tradition.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:26:28 by Malphas »

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:40:56 »
Pay special attention to any group able to infiltrate the necessary systems, subvert the dominant paradigms, and influence/control the language, and hence, the exchange of information... and eventually, the information itself.

Controlling words is about as close as they can come to thought control. The problem is not that people (gays, homosexuals, whatever) don't have their rights -- by and large, they do. The issue is the normalization of attitudes. In a perfect (nonexistent) world, people would react to the fact that someone is gay, or a minority, with all the fanfare of learning someone has brown eyes.

There would be no reaction.

Instead, we see groups very eager to celebrate the transgressiveness of their subgroup, while simultaneously putting a shotgun to the temple of anyone who might possibly suggest that they're not perfectly normal. Before this whole gay marriage thing, most gay couples could get a civil union, which (unless I'm mistaken) confers all the benefits and duties that hetero couples experience. The sticking point is the word 'marriage' which has the connotation of 'normal'. You can change laws overnight, but not perceptions. To change perceptions (how people think and feel) you need to give it time -- or start trying to punish people for wrongthink. The gay leadership took the latter route, and all it did was raise people's hackles and create an atmosphere of fear. They've gone from being a persecuted minority to a minority that does the persecuting.

Bias and racism should not be codified into law, but winning people's minds and hearts requires finesse, and the current gay leadership seems determined to aggravate tensions, not reduce them.

When a civil rights movement has generally achieved its goals, it does not make their swords back into plowshares. They get more militant. It reminds me of the backlash from the deaf community over cochlear implants.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Lanx

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:41:22 »
Personally I think the entire concept of marriage needs to be rewritten from the ground up as a broader framework that supports different kinds of legal unions, with clear separation from the legal side and religious/societal tradition.

but why? this is unnecessary, cuz it's only 2 things religious and societal, you either get one or both.

i married my wife, we're both not religious so we don't qualify for a ceremony, but some judge married us off.

my brother in law just got married, they're both not religious but they had a friend get internet ordained and marry them off.

and i've been to many where they have it in a church, obviously religious and is societal by the nature of the beast, while the previous examples were just societal.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:55:41 »

but why? this is unnecessary, cuz it's only 2 things religious and societal, you either get one or both.

i married my wife, we're both not religious so we don't qualify for a ceremony, but some judge married us off.

my brother in law just got married, they're both not religious but they had a friend get internet ordained and marry them off.

and i've been to many where they have it in a church, obviously religious and is societal by the nature of the beast, while the previous examples were just societal.

Well I think people should be able to "marry" more than one person, or someone they're not romantically involved with but want to make similar legal commitments for whatever reason. Basically marriage was originally intended as a framework for a man and a woman in a monogamous relationship to raise kids; prior to the legal side, it would have relied on religious and societal acknowledgment to provide the benefits that comes with it. Gay marriage is just one of the many reasons why I think it's outlived that purpose and a whole rethink is in order on the different kind of relationships people have and the legal rights, or financial benefits they should be entitled to. Yes, there are already ways to do this through lawyers, but it's expensive, and complicated, and not always respected by the legal system when put to the test, whilst romantically involved, heterosexual (and increasingly gay), monogamous couples have an existing template just for them. I think it should be broadened not just to gay couples, but to a wider range of relationships altogether.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:59:09 by Malphas »

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 13:58:17 »
Quote from: ethos
I dunno who told you guys that hate is an "opinion", but he lied to you.  Hate is hate.

The problem is that the most vocal gay marriage advocates do what you're doing -- demonize people who disagree with you as 'haters' and then move on. If you believe that other people, no matter their opinion, have the right to voice it, then you have a basic (even minimal) respect for that other person. That's the basic for a democratic society.

But then you've got major names on the Left who can't even be bothered to address (seriously) the objections and views of their opposition. It's so much easier to just label them hate-filled and move on. President Obama responded to a Republican budget proposal as a "meanwich" and a "stinkburger" just last week. This is the level of rhetoric coming from the President? Gawker media called for people who disagree with the science behind global warming to be arrested.

It's okay to hate ideas. With my full being I hate communism and socialism and collectivism -- not just because they are horrible ideas that have consigned millions of people to misery, death and despair, but because they have bogged down the minds of my fellow humans.

Hate ideas, not people. And try using the word 'hate' with a bit more caution. It seems like you really, really hate this guy for having a different opinion. Feels like a Two Minute Hate, doesn't it? Find your Orwellian focus and hate the haters?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:01:04 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:04:27 »
I dunno who told you guys that hate is an "opinion", but he lied to you.  Hate is hate.  It is the absence of human kindness.  It is not an opinion.  If you have hate in your heart, you should go join a biker gang, or a skinhead gang, the Nazi Party, or that fundamentalist church in Kansas that hates gays.  But you should not be a CEO of a corporation that employees other people.  Why?  Because you will discriminate based on sexual orientation, that's why.  If you want to sit at home and hate gays, that's fine.  Do that.  If you want to give money to gay-hating organizations, that's legal.  The constitution protects your "political" speech, as defined by the Supreme Court.  However, you do not have a "right" to be a hateful CEO.  If you are a hate-filled CEO, other people have a right to react negatively to you.  They don't have to work for you, they don't have to use your products, and they don't have to invest in your company.  You are free to pull your entire organization down around your little hate filled shoulders.  However Eich decided to take the coward's way out and slink off like the hate-filled rat that he is.  Nobody forced him out.  He is entitled to his hateful ideas.  Too bad he has no courage to stand up for his hate, like some of you internet warriors do.

You're being exceptionally inflammatory today. You are no better than him or anyone else in the world, just as he is no worse. Why don't you answer this question: what is wrong with wishing there was no gay marriage? Don't sidestep the question, just answer.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:13:18 »

You're being exceptionally inflammatory today. You are no better than him or anyone else in the world, just as he is no worse. Why don't you answer this question: what is wrong with wishing there was no gay marriage? Don't sidestep the question, just answer.

So in your opinion it would be ok wishing there were no black people?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:24:25 »

It would be, as long as you didn't do anything illegal or harass black people. It's fine if Ted Nugent wants all Democrats dead, it's just not okay if he kills one of then or libels/slanders them (the latter is done, but he's a politician, oh well.).

Also, your question is completely different from mine. Yours implies the genocide of a race, while I'm asking about a political institution.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:36:18 »

It would be, as long as you didn't do anything illegal or harass black people. It's fine if Ted Nugent wants all Democrats dead, it's just not okay if he kills one of then or libels/slanders them (the latter is done, but he's a politician, oh well.).

Also, your question is completely different from mine. Yours implies the genocide of a race, while I'm asking about a political institution.

Point taken, but regardless of your problem with anyone race, sexual orientation, gender if you speak those feelings does it then automatically become a problem?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:00:24 »

What people think is (should be, rather!) beyond the scope of government action. If someone were to publicly wish that there were no black people, or no gays, or gay black weddings, etc. -- then yeah, that person should suffer the consequences of saying something stupid in public. Acting on the wish that there were no black people, well, that is already illegal.

What the gay mafia amounts to is social power augmented by complicit media. If someone were to donate to a liberal cause, or publicly support abortions on demand, and lose their career as a result because a group of conservatives labeled their opinions 'hateful' there would be holy hell to pay. The media gyrations would throw the Earth out of its orbit.

Liberals have repeatedly wished there were no Republicans, and no one wrings their hands over it.

They have every right to do it, as the government is not involved (*cough*IRS disproportionately audits Tea Party groups*cough*), but the practice isn't conducive to compromise. The Left's idea of compromise is: "Do what we say or your career dies." They have the power, and they're not afraid (eager, actually) to wield it. There's no sense whatsoever that they pause before ending someone's career; there's no soul-searching. Why not? They'll never be publicly critiqued for it.
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:18:28 »

What people think is (should be, rather!) beyond the scope of government action. If someone were to publicly wish that there were no black people, or no gays, or gay black weddings, etc. -- then yeah, that person should suffer the consequences of saying something stupid in public. Acting on the wish that there were no black people, well, that is already illegal.

What the gay mafia amounts to is social power augmented by complicit media. If someone were to donate to a liberal cause, or publicly support abortions on demand, and lose their career as a result because a group of conservatives labeled their opinions 'hateful' there would be holy hell to pay. The media gyrations would throw the Earth out of its orbit.

Liberals have repeatedly wished there were no Republicans, and no one wrings their hands over it.

They have every right to do it, as the government is not involved (*cough*IRS disproportionately audits Tea Party groups*cough*), but the practice isn't conducive to compromise. The Left's idea of compromise is: "Do what we say or your career dies." They have the power, and they're not afraid (eager, actually) to wield it. There's no sense whatsoever that they pause before ending someone's career; there's no soul-searching. Why not? They'll never be publicly critiqued for it.

social power augmented by complicit media

^^ combined with too many sheeple who just accept whatever they are told to think

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:18:39 »
Daily dose of republican QQ brought to you by Krog.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:20:13 »

Point taken, but regardless of your problem with anyone race, sexual orientation, gender if you speak those feelings does it then automatically become a problem?

I don't think so, unless it harms others. We have the Westboro Baptist Church as a rather unfortunate precedent.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:28:15 »

social power augmented by complicit media

^^ combined with too many sheeple who just accept whatever they are told to think
Is this what irony is?

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:41:19 »

if that's all you got from his posts then you're already deep in the bias.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:46:11 »

Krog is right though, on this occasion. If we were discussing a CEO who donated money to some abortion rights charity and then resigned as a result of negative conservative backlash then the same people justifying this guy's resignation would be up in arms about it. They're the same though, but people are too blinkered by their political leaning and their misguided belief in moral absolutism to realise.

Conservatives find abortion abhorrent, liberals find being anti-gay marriage abhorrent (to generalise). Both are opinions and neither has any absolute moral authority, because there's no such thing - all morals are collective opinions. Sensible people realise this, which is why we have things like freedom of speech (for now), where you can in theory hold whatever unpopular view you like without being reprimanded.

Offline iri

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 16:05:31 »
a hate-filled CEO
who openly accepted anyone in the mozilla community. imagine how hard it was for him to deal with this hate that filled him!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:45:02 »

As usual, demik has nothing to contribute to the discussion. He swoops in, drops a teensy little rhetorical turd, then flies off.

*waves frantically*

Buh-bye!  :D

And the serious people can get back to it.
More

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:50:03 »
"serious" lololol

i'll break down all your comments.

liberal this

socialist that

fox news propaganda. slight racism, yada yada yada.

yeah, real serious.
a hate-filled CEO
who openly accepted anyone in the mozilla community. imagine how hard it was for him to deal with this hate that filled him!

"openly"

we have laws against discrimination.

either way, as stated, he has a right to his views. and the free market has a right to react to his views.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 20:09:31 »
Conservatives find abortion abhorrent, liberals find being anti-gay marriage abhorrent (to generalise). Both are opinions and neither has any absolute moral authority, because there's no such thing - all morals are collective opinions. Sensible people realise this, which is why we have things like freedom of speech (for now), where you can in theory hold whatever unpopular view you like without being reprimanded.

Well said.

I agree that everyone's got an opinion, and everyone has a right to have one, but they're not all equal. Let these ideas clash and see which are better, and dump the bad, and adopt the good. There's no shame in that at all. My views have changed over time -- I used to think abortion was completely wrong. Then I thought: what if it was my daughter who was pregnant at sixteen? Then I figured I didn't want the state to have any say in the matter at all. Then I actually had a daughter, held her in my arms, and now my position is that it's wrong, really wrong. And I'm still not sure I want the state to have a say in it, because through it all the state has remained boldly stupid about nearly everything it touches.

I think it's okay to pay a price for standing up for what you believe in, but The Left in America (their leadership) have adopted a scorched earth policy on people who differ with them. It's really a shame because it wasn't always this way. There was a time when Democrats were as they were today, acting as the American conscience -- the Motherly sort of group. "These people need our help." Republicans are the Fathers -- the guys who balance the family budget. "We should help them, yes -- but what about paying our own rent?" Both approaches are laudable. But from where I sit, Democrats don't ever portray Republican values or ideas as anything other than "mean" or "evil" -- and that's really sad. Democrats have made what was an open discussion into a death struggle.

And they're going to win at this rate. Conservatives are boxing English-style (fists up, wrists forward, handlebar mustache) and Progressives are fighting MMA-style with ninja swords. It's not enough for them to win the discussion, they have to end the discussion forever. They even do it to their own. Juan Williams, anyone?
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 April 2014, 20:16:29 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 20:14:45 »
fox news propaganda. slight racism, yada yada yada.

Are you saying that I made a racist comment, demik? If that's what you're saying, have the balls to point it out. Quote my 'racist' statement, at the very least, again -- if you've got the balls. Openly calling another forum member a racist should have consequences. Your comments are, as usual, of extraordinarily low quality.
More

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 20:20:15 »
it was a break down of your commenting history, not in this thread.

this thread went 3 pages deep without a mention of any political affiliation, until you came along.

like always. you use these threads to get on your soap box and QQ about the same **** over and over again.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 20:30:48 »
it was a break down of your commenting history, not in this thread.

Oh, I see! So I made racist comments elsewhere?

Quote from: demik
this thread went 3 pages deep without a mention of any political affiliation, until you came along.

What are you talking about? Political affiliations? Did you mean the conservative wing of GLAAD? This is a thread about politics, demik.

Quote from: demik
like always. you use these threads to get on your soap box and QQ about the same **** over and over again.

We are talking about how progressives react to dissenting points of views -- that's political, so I don't think we're off in the weeds here. I think you see people having an adult conversation and cannot help but drop a deuce into it. The people in this thread don't agree on everything, but we're hashing it out and enjoying ourselves, and you arrive with a FoxNews QQ deuce-and-dash comment, as a series of phrases and sentence fragments.

We were talking about how Progressives don't actually discuss anything, they just demonize those who disagree and move on.

Thank you so much for providing the thread with a living example of how they do it.

It was unintentional, but thanks just the same.
More