Author Topic: [Giveaway - on hold] Bros (and more!) for being a bro - third winner announced!  (Read 34967 times)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Re: [Giveaway] Bros for being a bro - THIRD WINNER ANNOUNCED!
« Reply #250 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 15:31:40 »
Bunny and I have decided to make this a bit of a living thread. Instead of rushing to give everything away, we'll be periodically giving stuff away when there's stuff to give.

Right now Bunny still has a couple of bros, and of course Bro Caps' awesome contribution is still up for grabs. So let's hear more stories and win more people more stuff just for being awesome!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #251 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 20:45:33 »
Bunny and I have decided to make this a bit of a living thread. Instead of rushing to give everything away, we'll be periodically giving stuff away when there's stuff to give.

Right now Bunny still has a couple of bros, and of course Bro Caps' awesome contribution is still up for grabs. So let's hear more stories and win more people more stuff just for being awesome!

I would nominate Bro Caps for being a bro and being so generous, but that seems a little bit pointless.  :P  Worth pointing out that he is appreciated though and that his generosity does not go unnoticed... 

Thank you guys for being such rockstars in this community.  I have always had good experiences with Riot.  Bunny is a saint and goes above and beyond on everything he does.  I have not interacted with Bro Caps much yet, but his work is incredible and his generosity is to be admired...

Good job guys.  Much love...

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
Re: [Giveaway - Ongoing!] Bros for being a bro - third winner announced!
« Reply #252 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 20:47:30 »
I nominate intelli78, because he has been looking out for me while I deal with the fierce shade that is Originativeco

Seems like a pretty nice dude, so he deserves a bro in my book.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #253 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 11:57:29 »
Can I join in on giving out free stuff for the bros?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #254 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 12:21:25 »
Can I join in on giving out free stuff for the bros?

Yes! I'd love for this thread to become bigger and better with more "sponsors". Don't worry about stepping on our toes– feel free to give things out as you see fit. :) Send me a PM with pics or a description as well and I'll add stuff to the OP.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
I'd like to name "RaVNzCRoFT". He is not as active as some on here and he might not be the most known, but that guy not only has a great personality, but admirable intentions. He has helped me immensely on turning my original key cap design into a 3D model to be printed and later made into a machined mold.

Creating key caps with my own signature design has been a passion of mine for a while now. With more artisans innovating and displaying their art work on here, it continued to motivate and inspire me. Having creative artwork, with no way to transfer them into something I can touch or see in person unless I create my own mold (which I have never done) and knowing next to nothing about casting; it was overwhelming to try and figure out where to start.

Through just private messaging, RaVNzCRoFT jumped at the opportunity and believed in my work. Now I have a plan, realistic goals, my cap has been sent to be 3D printed as a test run and I am buying materials to start practicing how to cast by hand before I have my mold machine made. And after all of this, NEVER ONCE has he asked for anything in return.

RaVNzCRoFT is a rare breed. The internet needs more people like him.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Shuffles the Zombro has arrived!

Chilling out on Truffles the Shih-Tzu:

Thanks again to riotonthebay, BunnyLake, Bro Caps, and SpAmRaY! :thumb:

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
I have several people I want to thank but most of all Margon a.k.a. Margo Baggins for continuously helping me with my keyboards. I have sent four boards his way and he won't even allow me to pay him for shipping.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.

Show Image

Show Image

Was your dog sleeping? I'm surprised he didn't shake the zombro off.  :p
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!

Show Image

Show Image

Was your dog sleeping? I'm surprised he didn't shake the zombro off.  :p

The dog was full and/or lazy so *plop* she lay down while I took pictures. :))

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
This is still a thing right?

I'd like to nominate Smasher816 for all the work he's put into making HHKB modding exceptionally accessible for those who are new to how things work. His Teensy HHKB writeup is probably the most thorough and comprehensive guide to more elusive mods like these and I'm in complete awe with how much work he's put into this stuff just so he can be a contributor to the community. Honestly, I think that thread should be getting waaaaay more attention and I think rewarding a quality content creator like Smasher is a great way of showing that GeekHack values individuals who have something to give to the community.
;)

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #261 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:13:17 »
(Attachment Link)

Thank you so much, Bunnysir! The goodies are really appreciated. And the business cards are stellar too :) .

Here's a picture of all the stuff
(Attachment Link)

glad it got there safe, i just grabbed a handful of random gh caps as i know you collect, you probably had them all but you never know

Has there ever been a topre gh cap?

yes

Show Image

Bhahaha   :))

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: [Giveaway] Bros for being a bro - SECOND WINNER ANNOUNCED!
« Reply #262 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:35:34 »
I'd like to nominate Photoelectric.

I know it was nearly a month ago, but I second Photoelectric's nomination for a BroCap. Photo's painting writeup is great and helped to unleash a lot of creativity (especially in the QFR contest), and Photo has always been polite about requests for help -- even when those questions had been answered in the writeup.  :thumb:
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Kayla

• :3
Can I nominate CPTBadAss even if hes been nominated before? ~

Helping me out with trying out new keycap materials and being a sweet guy! :)

Offline Thechemist

I nominate Grendel for the awesome troubleshooting job he did on JD 40% pcb, code / firmware ( small fry keyboard ). He also helped me with the early version green pcb GHpad; helping without asking for anything in return and never complained about anything. I know there are many others on this site that also deserve more recognition, I am just trying to shine the light on a fellow member I know that wouldn't say anything otherwise.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Thanks everyone for the few recent submissions that have bumped this up :). This is still ongoing, even if it's slowed down a little.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
Since this appears to still be ongoing I would like to nominate:

Krogenar!!!

&

terrpn!!!

They are good people and awesome Bros! (I know the rules said only one per post but I'd rather save the posts)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
I nominate Zeal as my Canadian Bro!
He was extremely cool while handling my order and his work is very clean.  :thumb:
It also helps that he is Canadian which I mostly like because I hate getting things shipped internationally. You never know when there are surprise import charges...
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
I nominate epzy. Viking bro.
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Lurch

I nominate Flyersfan1. East coast bro/hooked me up with a HHKB Type-S.

Offline Lurch

I nominate billnye29. Science bro.

Offline Lurch

In addition to my nominations, I would like to mention that all three have been very helpful, respectful, and honest.

Big up, bros. Thanks for everything.

Offline shadewolf

• ಠ_ಠ
I'd like to nominate jpm804. I pm'd him a few times when I was a baby geekhacker and he was super helpful and always friendly.

I don't know if he's still active around here anymore, but he gets my vote.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
"I nominate skcheng as a Supreme Surprise You Bro."

skcheng has always been an awesome dude to just chat with and i have learned so much about the inner workings of a keyboard from him. He is always down to help you out when **** hits the fan. A couple months ago i broke one of my dream keyboards and butchered the pcb when i tried to bring it back to life. I was chatting with him on how i can fix it, and he said he would fix it free of charge. After he received my pcb he told me i striped the tracers and burned some of my pcb (embarrassing right?) well he noticed Bunnylake was selling the exact board i wrecked, bought it for me, and surprised me with it... skcheng wouldn't take any money at all no matter how much i threw it at him.

Last week we were discussing BS boards and how i never tried one, he sent me an AT-F to try for how ever long i need it for... amazing dude!
sell out and eat ass

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com

"I nominate skcheng as a Supreme Surprise You Bro."

skcheng has always been an awesome dude to just chat with and i have learned so much about the inner workings of a keyboard from him. He is always down to help you out when **** hits the fan. A couple months ago i broke one of my dream keyboards and butchered the pcb when i tried to bring it back to life. I was chatting with him on how i can fix it, and he said he would fix it free of charge. After he received my pcb he told me i striped the tracers and burned some of my pcb (embarrassing right?) well he noticed Bunnylake was selling the exact board i wrecked, bought it for me, and surprised me with it... skcheng wouldn't take any money at all no matter how much i threw it at him.

Last week we were discussing BS boards and how i never tried one, he sent me an AT-F to try for how ever long i need it for... amazing dude!

I believe you're currently trying the same AT Model F that he let me use for about 3 months :). Very generous guy.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
I would like to renominate Thechemist. He happily volunteered his time to solder 5 JD40s, and I know I am excited to see his work. He has been very helpful and patient and answered any questions I have had.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I would like to nominate Matt3o.  He has done a GREAT job on the Granite set and I know how much work it has been.  I really appreciate all his hard work and is always-awesome attitude. 

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
I would like to nominate Nubbinator.

Ive purchased 2 caps from him in the past few weeks. First I had contacted him about a custom cap and he promptly made it, I received 2 caps (1 free and a Nub Bag). Second I purchased one cap in his recent sale and again received 2 caps in the mail. Nubbinator is an epic and deserving bro

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Ive purchased 2 caps from him in the past few weeks. First I had contacted him about a custom cap and he promptly made it, I received 2 caps (1 free and a Nub Bag). Second I purchased one cap in his recent sale and again received 2 caps in the mail. Nubbinator is an epic and deserving bro

I have not interacted with Nubs directly, but he does seem to be a stand up bro...

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus

\

Nubs is a very helpful and giving Bro.. And his caps keep getting better and better!

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr

I would also like to nominate Nubbinator.

From custom USB cables, custom Wood cases(!!!), to his artisan caps. Nubbinator does it all and he does it well. Not only will he give you a great price, he'll give you amazing quality in everything he does. He's always been a stand up fella on the forums and I think he'd be well deserved of receiving a Bro for being a bro!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Re: [Giveaway] Bros for being a bro
« Reply #281 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 21:19:46 »
What a great giveaway.

I'd like to nominate Naasfu-bro as a Comrade-bro-in-arms simply because I enjoy talking about this hobby with him a lot. I have about 400 PMs and I think his PM probably dominated more than half of it. He's very open to share his views and I could see he spent a lot of time to write. But most importantly, his passion for all things Bro and Clacks is very contagious. His photos of his Clack collection are like some voodoo magic that brings out the lust inside me to seek out more Bros and Clacks. I may be blinded by all these beauties but Naasfu always smack me back to reality (ie I need to watch my spending). So, while he may be the devil that lure me with his photos, he's also the angel that talk sense back into me. Which is why he's the Comrade Bro whom I can depend on and whom I trust who will talk sense into me!

My second nominee is TheBinary for his sudden out-of-this-world generosity and offer to help me out with my collection. He doesn't need to do so, me being a noob and newbie but he did so and that was like having a King of CC collection suddenly bestowing a kindness to a peasant and along the way got to know each other more and I find that he's a really honorable man that stood by his words and have a very strong code of conduct. He may have some challenges he's facing but he has a very positive mindset and I learned a lot from him on being positive with to our outlook in life. Besides, he needs to grow his Bro collection, so this is a good time as ever! :)

My third nominee is atlas because he's my therapy Bro. Usually we both missed on the sales dibs and we would cry on each other shoulder and generally encourage each other to not give up. Sounds cheesy but that's what your therapy pal is for. Otherwise it's the end of te world, as I know it. And now that I have somehow missed the Magarita clack dibs, I need to seek out my friend atlas for therapy again.

(Typed all these on a phone and hope it doesn't double post. But these 3 right here, are the bros of all bros!)

I know riot said that old entries still stand a chance, so don't forget my 3 bros above :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I'm gonna nominate terrpn.

He reached out to me after he discovered I was getting into fountain pens. I love chatting about my hobbies so we started talking about this and that. Then one day, he goes, I'm sending you a fountain pen as a surprise.

He sent me this Pelikan M200 with a Warranted 14K music nib. I was on like QFR level and he sends me this pen that skyrockets me into the next level. Like modded Filco/GON with 65g Clears level. He told me the other day that it was his first Pelikan and now it's my first Pelikan. That's so awesome. This pen will probably never leave my collection. But maybe I'll gift it to someone one day like terrpn did for me.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

He reached out to me after he discovered I was getting into fountain pens. I love chatting about my hobbies so we started talking about this and that. Then one day, he goes, I'm sending you a fountain pen as a surprise.

Show Image

He sent me this Pelikan M200 with a Warranted 14K music nib. I was on like QFR level and he sends me this pen that skyrockets me into the next level. Like modded Filco/GON with 65g Clears level. He told me the other day that it was his first Pelikan and now it's my first Pelikan. That's so awesome. This pen will probably never leave my collection. But maybe I'll gift it to someone one day like terrpn did for me.

:thumb:  Great story.  That's a real bro right there.  (not that the others mentioned in here aren't!)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Show Image

That thing is purty.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
I nominate tbc. He ordered a bulge cable from Zeal which showed me the path to ordering crazy cables from him!  :p
I have now become one of Zeal's chief torturers and as an added bonus, I get some fancy cables!  :p
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
I would like to nominate Pexon.

He provides a great service in terms of his cabling, he is great in his communication, and when I had an issue, he sent me a free replacement out first class. He also helped me with PSU recommendations when I wanted some more wiring done.

He has also offered to buy me some beers at Insomnia 52 for other issues I have had :D
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I nominate iri. You wanted real life stories. Well, I don't have one, but he does. :)

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45656.msg1398566.msg#1398566

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Yes. Iri always has awesome pics and life experiences to share.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Yes. Iri always has awesome pics and life experiences to share.

Ya. That one is more special than usual. :)

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
Nominate CPTBadAss, the most handsome bro on GH. I never get tired of seeing pictures of his adventures.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
I nominate Mkawa. Mainly because he reminds me of the shoeshine guy from police squad, just without the need for a bribe. No matter what the topic, Mkawa will have some information that will help you. I suspect if the American government had asked Mkawa about the financial crisis 5 years ago it may have been fixed by now.

What's the word on the street, Mkawa?
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I nominate AKmalamute. Fastest turn around time on the dox plate GB all while helping get the GH60 GB back on track.

Just give the man his earnings. :P

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
I would like to nominate Mkawa for saving me from myself and researching and selling me all my casting equipment.
if it wasn't for him I might have blown up my first pressure pot like a huge grenade in my garage and I might not be typing this right now. he has spent a very large amount of his time in skype helping me, binge, jiggityjane, and I believe also nubbinator with casting equipment, techniques and other cool stuff.

Relube your molds after every cast with exotic wholesale lubricants?
Who comes up with this stuff?

mkawa. That's who.

Offline genkidama

I nominate BlueBär as a supreme bro!

He showed me the world of geekhack and the keyboard enthusiasm! He explained everything to me multiple times although I forgot many many things he taught me. Also he just sent me a small package with a keycap he owned and he wanted to show me a PBT keycap and gave me some springs, o-rings, a nice letter (L), cord for my mouse cable and a small tutorial for how to get my mouse corded :thumb:

Nonetheless he also contributed with a mechenical keyboard Wiki for newbs like me to look up stuff if you forget things and the great idea of "The Geekhack Box of Faith" which is also a very nice idea to get keyboard novices into mech loving semi-novices  :rolleyes: And how great this community is where some just want to give and contribute stuff for this box and as I read the thread it warmed up my heart how special GH is and how loving it can be on the internet, despite, of course, some special occasions ;).
I better stop or I'll break out love-crying ^^ can you call it like that?

greets,
genki
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline BlueBär

I nominate BlueBär as a supreme bro!

:-*

Offline jameslr

I nominate CPTBadAss. He encouraged me to put myself out there when I was unsure of myself. I met him at Keycon 2013 and had a blast with everyone there. If not for him - I probably would have never showed up. Not only is he a super smart dude, but he's very generous and funny. Top bro in my book, and that's saying a lot because there's a lot of great people here on GH.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline jameslr

I also nominate HoffmanMyster. He is most likely the friendliest bro I have ever had the pleasure of meeting (Keycon 2013). He also offered to build a O2 headphone amp for me because I was looking for one and I didn't have a soldering iron yet.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline osman99

• follow the smoke to the riff filled land
I nominate Ceedog for teaching me everything I know about mechs!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Thanks everyone for your continued submissions :). Since we haven't given anything away for a little while, I'm going to say this is officially on hold. I'm sure we'll eventually come up with more stuff, and when that happens all previous submissions will remain valid. In the meantime, feel free to keep using this thread as a place to say nice things about each other!