Author Topic: KiCAD help for an idiot  (Read 2592 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
KiCAD help for an idiot
« on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 13:19:56 »
While waiting on my GH60, I decided that I really want an Alps compatible one.  So I was messing around trying to figure out KiCad, but got lost. 

I made what should be an MX/Alps module for the PCB (files at this link titled MX1AAlps in the MX1A library), but have no idea how to populate it to the PCB layout or even if it would work.  Can anyone help?

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
Re: KiCAD help for an idiot
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 14:34:29 »
we already started one PCB to accomplish this idea ...
give me some time then I'll post the PCB link here.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 19:27:19 »
I was just figuring it wouldn't be too hard for someone who know how to use KiCAD to just swap the MX1A drawing for the MX1AAlps one since they're identical except for two added holes and pads on each switch..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 19:51:30 »
I was just figuring it wouldn't be too hard for someone who know how to use KiCAD to just swap the MX1A drawing for the MX1AAlps one since they're identical except for two added holes and pads on each switch..

What about stabilizer holes?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 20:05:05 »

To my knowledge stabilizer holes won't change since all the alps stabs I have seen are plate mount.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 20:43:16 »

That would be a plate issue or you would mod the caps to take Cherry PCB mount stabilizers.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 23:04:12 »

That would be a plate issue or you would mod the caps to take Cherry PCB mount stabilizers.

Guess maybe it depends on what caps you want to use or get made to use?

Offline skrsh3r

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 09:40:31 »
Yeah the biggest problem are keycaps and stabs...... got my greens few days ago and now the only thing left is sourcing good set of caps which is hard as hell if you live in europe  :mad:
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 09:48:41 by skrsh3r »

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 07:55:02 »
Sorry, I totally forgot this topic.

I did one footprint for the ALPs switch (no big deal, I used one white paper with the dimensions that I got from DA).
Get it here.
ALPS_SKCM and ALPS_SKCM-2
You will have to open de Module Editor and browse the components into my 'footprints' library.
I hope it helps.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 09:04:07 »
Sorry, I totally forgot this topic.

I did one footprint for the ALPs switch (no big deal, I used one white paper with the dimensions that I got from DA).
Get it here.
ALPS_SKCM and ALPS_SKCM-2
You will have to open de Module Editor and browse the components into my 'footprints' library.
I hope it helps.

Thanks.  I actually already modified the file in the GH60 folder so it should be MX/Alps compatible.  It's mainly the issue of trying to swap out the MX module for the MX_Alps module.