Author Topic: 'True' mechanical keyboard. USB Typewriter Corona Streamline Custom  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Lammie

• Trade Count: (0)

Here I have a USB typewriter for sale.

Vintage Corona streamline typewriter from 1940's. Custom painted in matte military green. Included is a limited production, handmade and brand-new USB typewriter conversion kit (easy install version, worth $84 alone)
The typewriter is fully functional, thoroughly cleaned and serviced. Added is extra, new sound dampening material inside.
The typewriter can be used alone without electricity, or it can be plugged in on any Desktop PC, laptop or Tablet (through USB) and function as a external 'true' mechanical keyboard. From the video can be seen, the type key feel can be adjusted from Low (soft feel) to High (Springier feel), in 5 different steps.

This typewriter is excellent for typers or writers. One of the best techincally, ever made by Corona USA. I find the typing key feel one of my top 3 manual typewriters. Excellent feedback and tactile feeling.

These USB typewriters are in limited production. It is quite rare to own one, thus the prices for USB typewriters range from $600-$900. What I think is absolutely crazy. So, I have a much more realistic price. http://www.usbtypewriter.com/

Asking price for the Corona USB typewriter is ($84+$66=$150) $150. (Fixed Price)
Shipping from Holland, Europe. Shipping cost Worldwide is $55,-

Check out my Etsy webshop for more info and other typewriters. https://www.etsy.com/shop/iLoveTypewriter?ref=si_shop

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/74U1SiGXfMc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 10:24:22 by IvanIvanovich »
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline roaming pear

• THE Roaming Pear
Re: 'True' mechanical keyboard. USB Typewriter Corona Streamline Custom
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 05:29:09 »
That looks sooo awesome!
Does anyone have any accessories or key caps or other poker 2 related things lying around that they are not using?  I don't mind taking it off your hands if you no longer want it...

Offline Lammie

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:00:31 »
Yeahh it is awesum :D Wanna buy?
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:05:20 »
What does this mean:

Asking price for the Corona USB typewriter is ($84+$66=$150) starting from $150.
Shipping from Holland, Europe. Shipping cost Worldwide is $55,-

Is the price $150?

Or what do you mean by "starting from?"
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Lammie

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:30:32 »
I decide to sell the USB typewriter for a fixed price. $150. (+$55 worldwide shipping)

The first one, gets the typewriter.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 July 2014, 10:03:19 by Lammie »
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline Lammie

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 07:21:55 »
One more week to go. Then, I'll remove the advertisement. Anybody interested?
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 14:23:55 »
do you find the Speedline series better than the Super series in terms of typing feel?

Also, I have bought from Lammie off his Etsy site.  The typewriters are clean and oiled, and come very well packaged.  There is a certain art to packaging a typewriter, and he does it well.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Lammie

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 22:35:46 »
Thanks about your comment. By the way, now I ship with double layered carton parcels for more safety.

Both Speedline and Super series are excellent typers for writers or long typing sessions. The keyfeel are somewhat similar on both models, but on the Super series just a little bit more refined. Also, there is the 'silent' version on the Super series, what is sort of dampened version (not totally silent). I like the Speedline series aesthetics and glass keys much more than the rounder 50-60's Super series design. The speedline was my #3 and the Super 5 my #2 in my Top 3 best typers for writers.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/195781406/smith-corona-silent-super-5-series?ref=shop_home_active_1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/195788855/usb-corona-streamline-typewriter-custom?ref=shop_home_active_2
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 06:38:38 »
In your experience, what do you call your number one typewriter for writers?  Overall, I have found the Alpina models to be my favorite.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 06:44:05 »
Perhaps this question is relevant here. Being from the "old school," I understand how to TYPE a numeral "1" using these older typewriters, such as the one you converted and have listed for sale in the OP. But how does one input a numeral "1" into the PC using this as a USB keyboard?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Lammie

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 07:38:26 »
Well, just like with mechanical keyboards, the 'best' often is subjective. Depends on what the user finds important for his typewriter/keyboard. My criteria were:

-Comfortable for long writing sessions (bigger portables. segment shift, or light carriage shift)
-Great response and tactile feedback from keys. Not too heavy nor too light. Solid keyaction.
-Rare or unique machine
-Not too big for a portable, not too heavy. Around 5-6kg
-Font type and maximum words per line.
-Smoothness of carriage return
-typewriter sound when typing
-key functions, intuitive keyboard layout
-Silent as possible platen

And so on...It also depends, what sort of style the writer uses. Short story? Notes? Novels? etc.
No doubt the Alpina is very very nice to type on. But it feels somewhat all the same, from that region and era. Like the Optima Elite, Rheinmetal kst, Voss. Very desktop typewriter feel, very solid. But also a bit boring maybe, because everything is so 'well' engineered. Like classic cars and motorcycles. People want to something more adventurous, a bit more character so to speak.
Often times, I used the Princess, for its desktop feel but portable dimensions. An other is the Gossen Tippa. Gossen totally blew me away. There is no single typewriter that types so well, even better than Alpina and its brothers, is a flat portable (flat portables don't tend to type well, because of mechanical limitations, it is so flat) and is even smaller than a Kolibri. A lot of beginners only focus on the Kolibri, sm3-4 or the Valentine's. But the true underdog is the Gossen Tippa. Highly sought after, but few know of it.
The best sounding typewriter, I find is the Imperial Good Companion on my Etsy. It has relations with Torpedo Werke AG. And sounds like a Turbocharger.
Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline Lammie

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 07:39:29 »
The USB typewriter can use Function keys as well:

Q: Does the USB Typewriter have modern keys such as Backspace, Escape, F1-F12, Control, Alt, and so on?
A: Yes! The USB Typewriter not only has built-in Control, Alt, Cmd, and Backspace keys, but also a "Fn" key which, when held down, accesses secondary functions for all the keys, so that the typewriter keyboard supports a full complement of modern functions.

More FAQ: www.usbtypewriter.com/pages/faq

Topre Realforce 55g
Topre Leopold FC660C 45g
Matias Quiet Pro Mini
Cherry ML G84-4100LPAUS
Cherry MX Green QFTK
Model M Unicomp 103

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 09:30:32 »
gosh
wtf!@
 :D
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Aleksander

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 09:00:22 »
MUST.RESIST.TEMPTATION.  :-X

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 13:12:56 »
Well, just like with mechanical keyboards, the 'best' often is subjective. Depends on what the user finds important for his typewriter/keyboard. My criteria were:

-Comfortable for long writing sessions (bigger portables. segment shift, or light carriage shift)
-Great response and tactile feedback from keys. Not too heavy nor too light. Solid keyaction.
-Rare or unique machine
-Not too big for a portable, not too heavy. Around 5-6kg
-Font type and maximum words per line.
-Smoothness of carriage return
-typewriter sound when typing
-key functions, intuitive keyboard layout
-Silent as possible platen

And so on...It also depends, what sort of style the writer uses. Short story? Notes? Novels? etc.
No doubt the Alpina is very very nice to type on. But it feels somewhat all the same, from that region and era. Like the Optima Elite, Rheinmetal kst, Voss. Very desktop typewriter feel, very solid. But also a bit boring maybe, because everything is so 'well' engineered. Like classic cars and motorcycles. People want to something more adventurous, a bit more character so to speak.
Often times, I used the Princess, for its desktop feel but portable dimensions. An other is the Gossen Tippa. Gossen totally blew me away. There is no single typewriter that types so well, even better than Alpina and its brothers, is a flat portable (flat portables don't tend to type well, because of mechanical limitations, it is so flat) and is even smaller than a Kolibri. A lot of beginners only focus on the Kolibri, sm3-4 or the Valentine's. But the true underdog is the Gossen Tippa. Highly sought after, but few know of it.
The best sounding typewriter, I find is the Imperial Good Companion on my Etsy. It has relations with Torpedo Werke AG. And sounds like a Turbocharger.

I have a Gossen Tippa as well.  I agree with you, it is my favorite ultra portable.  What the manufacturer packed into that small package was amazing.