Poll

Which weekend(s) can you attend KeyCon East in NYC?

August 8
5 (27.8%)
August 15
6 (33.3%)
August 22
7 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:24:08

Author Topic: Keycon East [NYC][8/8/15]  (Read 111598 times)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
Re: Keycon East(PA)
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:30:57 »
been to all keycons already why not
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:31:56 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:33:27 »
hoffmam dont act like that night never happened

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:37:32 »
So I don't want to promise anything, but I do have a friend who owns a recording studio in Philly.  I would like to see what's going on with him, and if we can get an idea of a date for this thing I can start checking out places.

Another option is to just throw it at my rent's place which would be an hour west of Philadelphia.  I've got connections as a local yokle.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:41:48 »

Another option is to just throw it at my rent's place which would be an hour west of Philadelphia.
In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 17:46:07 »
A hour west = 2 1/2 hour drive for me

fortunately, DV or Vibex will be driving (because I'm a)17, and b) don't have a liscence), but that's still far
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:09:42 »

fortunately, DV or Vibex will be driving (because I'm a)17, and b) don't have a liscence), but that's still far

Yeah it would just be a less expensive solution to host.  Not saying it would be ideal.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:12:26 »

Yeah it would just be a less expensive solution to host.  Not saying it would be ideal.

that's fair
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:27:28 »

It would be ideal for me...   :rolleyes:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 18:28:46 »
nevermind this post

i said something mean without thinking

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 20:08:03 »
With regards to cost, how much does the space usually cost for these type of gatherings? I see plenty of spaces that are $1000+ which seems ridiculous
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 22:26:34 »
With regards to cost, how much does the space usually cost for these type of gatherings? I see plenty of spaces that are $1000+ which seems ridiculous

A lot of cons have been held in spaces which were graciously made available to us through some sort of close personal connection.  Regular spaces are expensive for the day or 2 days and have time limits.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 00:42:00 »
That's still on bytheway. I'll just roll up to your place, toss you in the back and be on my way as quick as possible #notrafficplease.

seriously though would it be easier to take the subway somewhere to avoid traffic, or is everywhere NYC just a huge "Charlie Foxtrot" as my friend used to say.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 05:58:02 »
seriously though would it be easier to take the subway somewhere to avoid traffic, or is everywhere NYC just a huge "Charlie Foxtrot" as my friend used to say.

Lol, the traffic outside of Manhattan really isn't that bad. Stop freaking out. Where TS is, I don't think you'll have an issue. It's pretty quiet.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #214 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 06:48:24 »
You have to go through Manhattan to get to where I am. From DV's direction, anyway.

There might be a way to get there via queens instead, but you already know how I feel about that.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 09:05:56 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 September 2015, 12:31:51 by esoomenona »

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 12:18:35 »
+1  Never been to NYC, but I have zero interest in trying to drive there.  I want to live.

It's mainly Manhattan that's a ***** but even then it's not that bad. Just gotta be prepared to make really quick decisions.
Had to drive through there to ger to Connecticut. Was almost fine, ended up mising my exit because of the incredible number of different ones,drove over a median, pissed a guy off, was fun. Also, any ideas of spaces we go hold this?

wait why were you driving through manhattan to get to connecticut?
Do you enjoy paying extra tolls or something? lol

regarding celebs i've seen in NY, I went to high school with Natalie Portman.  Never spoke to her b4, but would walk by her in the halls.  Then star wars released and she wasn't in school anymore hahah

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 21:00:19 »
+1  Never been to NYC, but I have zero interest in trying to drive there.  I want to live.

It's mainly Manhattan that's a ***** but even then it's not that bad. Just gotta be prepared to make really quick decisions.
Had to drive through there to ger to Connecticut. Was almost fine, ended up mising my exit because of the incredible number of different ones,drove over a median, pissed a guy off, was fun. Also, any ideas of spaces we go hold this?

regarding celebs i've seen in NY, I went to high school with Natalie Portman.  Never spoke to her b4, but would walk by her in the halls.  Then star wars released and she wasn't in school anymore hahah
oh no, sorry, not manhattan, but somewhere in NYC? (I'm clueless)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 22:41:43 »

oh no, sorry, not manhattan, but somewhere in NYC? (I'm clueless)

Brooklyn I bet. That's where TS lives.

BTW, if I went through CT, it'd be a little longer, but I wouldn't have to drive through manhattan. Still don't know the best way to do it.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 23:14:59 »
?

When did I get involved with this?

He probably hit the Bronx or Manhattan to get to Connecticut. Depends on which bridges you take.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #220 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 09:20:38 »
?

When did I get involved with this?

He probably hit the Bronx or Manhattan to get to Connecticut. Depends on which bridges you take.

going through manhattan to get to ct seems a bit ridiculous, and having to pay a lot of different tolls options. (holland/lincoln to get into manhattan, then free either brooklyn/manhattan/williamsburg/59th st. bridge, or Triborough Bridge toll route and then either throgs neck or whitestone toll bridges to get out of queens)
more than just taking i95 and going across the GWB.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 09:24:42 »
Well I didn't pay any tolls so...

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 09:31:17 »
Well I didn't pay any tolls so...

then you're superman or something haha
cause every hudson river crossing into NYC has a toll.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:16:12 »
Maybe we could do a presentation on something like soldering for beginners?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:21:15 »
Maybe we could do a presentation on something like soldering for beginners?

I'd be happy to do any form of presentation, be it on soldering or not.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:32:47 »
I was kicking around making a presentation on controllers and midi interface with Lurch.  :thumb:

Presentations are awesome

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #226 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:33:57 »
need lots of powerpoint slides

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #227 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:34:48 »
Ooh yeah, one on controllers would be cool. Must use only comic sans font

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #228 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 15:42:10 »
I like presenting on things, so if I go I can do one.  Not sure what it would be, though.  I'm going to do my polymer processing one soon and upload it, so that will be done.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #229 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 22:09:28 »
So I guess if you're interested in presenting just let me know and I'll get yet another list going :p

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 28 October 2014, 22:16:06 »
So I guess if you're interested in presenting just let me know and I'll get yet another list going :p
I could do a presentation on keyboard layouts (though this time with prep). :p

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:25:21 »
I've been thinking about a new presentation I could give and I thought something like a history of... or an Introduction to Alps would be fun. But those aren't my areas of "expertise". I covered what I think I'm best qualified to give information on at Keycon West 2014.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #232 on: Wed, 29 October 2014, 08:27:08 »
I've been thinking about a new presentation I could give and I thought something like a history of... or an Introduction to Alps would be fun. But those aren't my areas of "expertise". I covered what I think I'm best qualified to give information on at Keycon West 2014.
well, I think the resident alps hipster knows quite a bit more than the rest of us, even if it's not totally comprehensive :p

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
Re: Keycon East(Philadelphia)
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 02:01:15 »
A.) I'm totally going. Philly sounds great even though I'm coming from VA.
B.) Kudos to anybody doing a presentation on anything!

The sooner the better! I can't wait to meet some of you guys!

Cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:12:58 »
ROTB got back to me this morning, BTW

He's been in Portland for about a month, working with a friend. When he came back, he had a lot to catch up on at work.

He'll be active here again at some point, but he's way too busy for GH right now.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 16:00:54 »
Is there a date that has been tossed around for this?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #236 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 17:52:55 »

"spring, but before Chicago"

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 17:59:26 »

Spring, but before chicago is winter, since they're talking the first week or so of spring for Keycon Chicago.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 18:00:45 »

Spring, but before chicago is winter, since they're talking the first week or so of spring for Keycon Chicago.

well then

"Spring, after Chicago"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #239 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 13:22:09 »
So it's looking like keycon Chicago will be during spring break, so we might be aiming for early summer here.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 13:33:57 »
We should do it right. Schedule it during the Weekend of the Philly Fountain Pen Show....in the middle of January. I see no problems there. :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 November 2014, 15:02:04 by CPTBadAss »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #241 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 15:00:25 »
We should it it right. Schedule it during the Weekend of the Philly Fountain Pen Show....in the middle of January. I see no problems there. :P
BYOSP (bring your own snow plow)

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 15:05:51 »
We should do it right. Schedule it during the Weekend of the Philly Fountain Pen Show....in the middle of January. I see no problems there. :P
I didn't even know this was a thing.  I am intrigue.

I can't promise anything, and it's actually pretty unlikely as it's in a really not so great section of the city and parking would literally be the closest thing to hell you can imagine, but I can see if my school has any space reserved for these sorts of things.  I'm not even sure if they would be up for such a thing, but it couldn't hurt to inquire. 
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 15:10:03 »
Philly Fountain Pen Show...

Check it out over here. You think keyboards are bad for your wallet? Fountain pens are much worse. I had a really good time at the Ohio Pen Show and I was contemplating going to the Philly one but I'm worried about snow and ice messing with the drive/air travel.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 15:14:18 »
Philly Fountain Pen Show...

Check it out over here. You think keyboards are bad for your wallet? Fountain pens are much worse. I had a really good time at the Ohio Pen Show and I was contemplating going to the Philly one but I'm worried about snow and ice messing with the drive/air travel.
Yeah, those are reasonable concerns, from everything I've read, all indications point to a very snowy/cold winter.  Please do let me know if you do make the trip though, there's a lot to do here, and I would love to discover another hobby that hacks my wallet!  :D
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Re: Keycon East (Philadelphia)
« Reply #245 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 21:22:14 »
updates?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #246 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 21:38:00 »
I mean, at this point we're gonna try and shoot for an early June date, but I don't really have any idea of where we're gonna hold this thing

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:21:35 »
Although depending on how let Chicago ends up being, we may have to push this back to early spring.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 December 2014, 22:27:30 by hwood34 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #248 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 22:27:50 »
but I don't really have any idea of where we're gonna hold this thing
But yeah maybe ideas on this

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 21:15:10 »
but I don't really have any idea of where we're gonna hold this thing
But yeah maybe ideas on this

I wonder if some corporation will let us use their space for a few hours.